Sun-Ringle 2001 Disc-O-Tek Wheelset

For disc-specific cross country riding and racing. Benefits: super strong design, extremely light rotational weight improves acceleration and handling, niche specific, but extremely versatile, readily available high-end, quality components make for easy serviceability, welded rims for durability, D-shaped axle on front hub keep fork legs from flexing and rotating, wide range of disc adaptability.

Submitted by Steve-O a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, Cartridge Style Bearings

Weaknesses:    Taco'ed easily, Creaky for handbuilt wheel, Stickers get scrapped up when changing tires.

Bottom Line:
These wheels list for over $600 from Sun. During my first 2+ hour ride on them I got a SIGNIFICANT wobble in the rear. I was able to true it out after many turns of the spoke wrench. Since then I have logged about 400 miles on these wheels and have had to true them several times. I go 185 lbs and have never had these issues on 517 / XT wheelsets. I also don't consider myself a hard rider (no hucking or drops). The stickers on the sidewalk are placed so you will scratch them off when changing tires. The spokes are very thin butted and seem to loosen very easily.

Finally it is really hard to get the cassette onto the rear hub (tolerances are extremely tight, tight enough that I've seen the Ringle hubs sent back for this exact reason). They might be good for 150 lbs racer types but for general XC I give them 2 Chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Lake