Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest 29er Wheelset

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)

ZTR Crest 29er Wheelset EnjoyThe benefits of a lightweight Stans rim without havingTo buildThe wheel,the ZTR Crest Disc Wheelset comes prebuilt!The hubs feature sealedcartridge bearings and a 3 pawl, 30 point engagement system at a veryreasonable weight. Enjoy great performance and a great price point. Stans ZTR Crest 29" rims Double butted 2.0/1.7 spokes ZTR 6 bolt disc hubs Cartridge bearings 3 pawl, 30 point engagement system Alloy nipples Approximate weight 1588 grams (749 gram

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2014

Strengths:    Light and fast

Weaknesses:    Weak.

Bottom Line:
I'm 175lbs and have been riding for 30 years and the first time that I have had a wheel fold on me was yesterday. I was on a smooth trail coming into a right hand turn when the wheel folded on me. I have been in contact with Stan's and was told that my best bet is a discount rim from them or to get a rim on my own and rebuild because Stan's most likely will not warranty it. I am very disappointed to say the least.

Submitted by djishai

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    very light and extreemly fast

Weaknesses:    rear rim bent after 4 month.

Bottom Line:
little bit expenssive for the preformence

Submitted by rmittel

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Front rim bent after third ride.
Stans customer service refused any warranty on wheel

Bottom Line:
Front wheel went out of true on third ride on very mellow XC riding.Rode Colorado Front Range trail Ridgeline. Definitely a non-technical XC trail. Rim was bent, could be trued to 98% but LBS said it would never stay true. At 172# I am definitely under the suggested weight limit. Stans basically said any type of riding could cause rim to bend. I guess this is just basically a race day wheelset.

Submitted by Armando S. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    performance, weight, looks

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new 2013 model Crest 29er with stans 3.30 hubs.

I cant say enough good stuff so far about my wheels. I was hoping that after popping 500 on a set of wheels that the main thing would be to notice the difference out on the trail.

Mission accomplished! What a difference, Ive only had 5 rides on them so far but I felt the performance increase on the first ride. I have zero doubts about how much a nice set of wheels tires and set up tubeless helps with how the bike will perform. My riding style is straight cross country on hardpack to rocky singletrack terrain. And I took a gamble on the Crest because I did want the lighter set vs the Arch EX. I weigh 200lbs even, but I consider myself a smooth rider and dont' do jumps. Im 42 and those days are over for me. Too many nasty spills in my 23 years of MTB riding. But I do ride my bikes hard, riding for me is a workout so Im out there going at a good clip everytime unless Im with a group.

The main performance upgrade I have felt is in how much easier my bike "rolls" wether its on a descent, flowing singletrack, and of course climbing. Simply amazing feel.

I just hope they hold up due to my weight. Worth every penny. Im sold on these wheels, just like I will never go back to a 26er I just dont see how I could ever get another bike without taking my wheelset with me as well.

Wheels set up with S-works Fast trak 2.2 in the front and S-works Fast trak 2.0 in the rear. With Stans sealant of course.

Purchased At:   Zumwalts San Diego

Submitted by bassamp

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Soft

Bottom Line:
I bought these as race day only wheels for my Epic FSR 29er. These didn't hold up for me.
I weigh 178 pounds without shoes and water bottle--I never rode these with a hydration pack on. I ride XC only, although some stuff is technical and rocky.
On their third race I had a blowout and they took a hit that bent the sidewall and created a little flat spot. Got them repaired and trued and they got me through a few more races, until the exact same thing happened again in a another spot during pre-ride. I bent the sidewall back into place with a crescent wrench and eventually got my tire to bead. They did get me through the race the next day, but leak air sometimes at the bend. Talked to two LBS's that said they are not worth repair at this point. I will likely rebuild with Arch EX rims. These Crests lasted less than 1 year, and only about 5 or 6 races (plus pre-rides).

Submitted by jersievers

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    weight, and tubless set up.

Bottom Line:
Great value in a race set of XC wheels. Light riders can use every day if you wanted. They are light like road wheel and are a breaze to set up tubeless. I would highly recomend these wheels they are perfect. If you are a little heavier or want more all time XC wheels, the new Arch EX are only a little more in weight, but will last much longer and stay truer.

Submitted by cozmomo a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Strengths:    Super light, very stiff, well built & a very good price. Extremely easy to install tubeless tires with a floor pump.
(FYI, I'm about 160-165lbs (72-75 kilos) with all my bike gear on.)

Weaknesses:    None so far. :-D

Bottom Line:
I literally just bought these wheels today. I went straight home & installed my rotors & tires & then went for a ride a few hours later. I am, so far, extremely impressed with this wheelset. They are very well engineered and obviously built for making tubeless setups easy. I am currently running a Stan's "Raven" tire in the rear & a Specialized S-Works fastrak up front. Both tires installed very, very easily. Following the online instructional video, I used a floor pump & felt no need to "pump hard & fast." I pumped to about 40psi to completely set the bead & then released the pressure & filled the tires with Stan's sealant via the Stan's syringe injector.(remove valve stem core & inject). The whole system works beautifully. I was previously running DT Swiss 470 rims which came with my bike. I needed an air compressor to install tires & this is a huge problem since I don't have one. I am either going to the shop or using a friends.

Now to the ride quality. Quite honestly, I don't really have anything to compare them to except stock wheels. I had a custom set of wheels about 10 years ago, but I can't remember much about them. Anyhow, this is a massive improvement over my last (stock) set of wheels. My rear wheel was falling apart & my front wheel didn't feel like a quality wheel. On the rear wheel, I replaced 1 spoke a month ago & had 2 more break since then. I was getting scared to ride them. They wouldn't stay true & I had a friend goof up & put his foot in my front wheel & warp it slightly. It was an accident & gave me a great excuse to buy a whole new set! HAHA! Anyhow, these wheels feel light & snappy in the turns(think gyroscopic precession). After today, I realize that especially in tight, twisty singletrack, that I am going to have to adjust how I lay the bike over in the turns. It takes no where near the effort that I was putting forth on my last wheelset(gyroscpoic precession) since these wheels have much lighter rims, the spinning mass isn't as prevalent. I had a few moments where I had to get on the brakes because I either laid them over too much or they just felt so different, that it made me a little nervous. It wasn't a bad thing, but I simply didn't want to taco one of them on day one. Overall, the wheels felt very solid, stiff, & responsive! With the lower sidewalls or "bead socket technology," the bead seats just right & makes the tires feel incredibly grippy & solid. Tires have never made me feel this confident in the turns. There is a negligible amount of tire slop due to this design(i.e. http://www.notubes.com/literature/BST.pdf). Functionally, this is one of the most innovative & important design factors with these wheels

So, for the price, you will not find a better set of wheels. I can't see myself ever riding carbon wheels... ever. So, from my limited research & knowledge of high-end wheels, these seemed to be the best bang for the buck, and from how they rode on the trail today, I made the right choice. I would recommend these to anyone looking for an affordable wheelset that will do likely what $1,000 wheelsets will do.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine, Wisconsin

Duration Product Used:   1 day

Purchased At:   Kegel's Bike Store

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er. 1x9 gearing, tubeless, 2012 Shimano XT brakes & ICE Tech rotors/pads & now Stan's No Tubes Crest w/ ZTR hubs.

Submitted by T Woo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Light and fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Tires were a bxxch to mount.

Bottom Line:
I opted for the Hope EVO Pro II hubs, was not sure of the Stans hubs. I was worried at first about the durability of crest versus the Arch. But now I love the Crest and the Hope Hubs. I can climb so much faster than my stock wheels. They have stayed true. I gave only 4 chilis due to the tires were really hard to get on. Other than that they are awesome

Favorite Trail:   forest hill divide

Purchased At:   MBTR Classifieds - n

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Specialized stock wheels, Mavic crosstrails

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er

Submitted by James Parman

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    weight, tubeless, round

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Crests laced to Hope Pro II EVO hubs from Wiggle.com. They were immediately taped and mounted with a Schwalbe RaRa Snakeskin and Maxxis Ikon Exo. I'd read on forums that these would be a PITA to get on the bike and air up and it appears that would have been correct if I would have used brand new rubber instead of tires that I'd had mounted for a few months. The fit was TIGHT! especially w/ the RaRa but I was able to get them on. I have a 30 gallon PC air compressor that I used to air them up - @90 psi in the line and a standard air chuck, it would not seat the bead. Removing the valve stem solved that problem easily. It took all of 30 minutes to get both tires mounted and aired up... i don't expect, doing it the way that I did, that I would have been able to do it without the compressor, making trailside repairs potentially a challenge, especially if you do not carry around tire levers.

On the trail, they are wheels. They are round and they roll... everything you would expect from a wheel... and they do it tubeless! One thing that I did notice and I don't know if this is in my head or not but I HATED the Racing Ralph in the front w/ my old set up. I just didn't like how they cornered... based on my riding style they were terrible. YMMV. On the front, with the new wheels, I like them a LOT better. I am not super stoked on them but I am also not counting the days until they need to be replaced either. I noticed no change on the Ikon. It is still my go to rear tire neither getting any better nor getting any worse.
This was the last upgrade I did to my bike and it put it solidly under 27 pounds so I am pretty happy about that as well. I've used a lot of crappy wheels in the past and these are solidly better than all of them, nice welded rim, light weight, good performer. These are easily worth the cost to upgrade.