Spinergy Xyclone Enduro Wheelset

4.23/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 1840 grams

The Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheels are built with the newest PBO spokes, this wheelset is perfect for the rider who feels the need to follow the path less traveled and is ideal for Enduro and All-Mountain riding.

Submitted by Suncutty a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Strengths:    Nice hubs with positive engagement, great looking, vibration dampening, quiet, great customer service by spinergy.

Weaknesses:    A tad flexy, spokes come loose, narrower than claimed, pain in the butt to true particularly with tubeless, proprietary spokes and truing tools.

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels because they were a good price on ebay and looked the biz with my white carbon nomad. The ride quality of these wheels was excellent initially as the pbo spokes combined with a carbon frame really dampened the ride. The wheels are a bit flexier than other offerings as the spoke tension is relatively low at spinergy spec. I immediately had spokes start coming loose after a few rides. Sent it back to spinergy on warranty and they were good about it but only re-tensioned and loc-tited the offending spokes. It happened again shortly after and this time they rebuilt the whole wheel with a new rim and set of spokes. Those two experiences were enough to sour my confidence in them and promptly sold them. During that time I also threw a caliper on the rim and it measures 24.3mm rather than the 26mm they claim. I was initially in the market for a 28mm wheelset and 26 was already a compromise, 24 was a major disappointment to discover. I also like to run tubeless and the prospect of pulling out a rim strip every time a slight true is required did not appeal either. If spinergy updated these wheels with a wider rim and fixed the spoke problems these would be a solid wheelset. I just don't see how they can be competitive with some of the other wider, lighter offerings available now. Customer service was however excellent. These wheels would be good for someone looking for a more robust xc/trail wheelset with no intention of running a tire > 2.25"

Favorite Trail:   Half Nelson

Similar Products Used:   Easton haven

Bike Setup:   2011 Santacruz nomad carbon with an all mountain build 1x9. Previously xyclone enduro wheels, currently Easton Havens. Bike is around 29lbs.

Submitted by Trooper2 a Downhiller from Columbia, CT, US

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    light, cool technology, good rims, cool looking

Weaknesses:    high maintenance, weak freehub

Bottom Line:
Super slick looking wheelset - light and strong rim but hub is weak link. They come from the factory with low tension on the spokes, and recommend 20 & 22 in/lbs for tourque before you ride. They also recommend using PURPLE lock tight on the nipple threads or they WILL back out and loosen. Make sure you do this right the first time or you have to pull the tire and rim tape every time you need to tighten a spoke. Not a big deal if you follow factory instructions & do it right the first time. Kind of a lot of cash to drop on a wheelset that sacrifices strentgh to be light.

After about 9 months (with 3 months of winter in there) I grenaded the rear hub on a burst climb up a technical spot. When I got the thing apart, the freehub body where the pawls mount was in pieces inside the ratchet ring. All the damage was limited to the freehub body and I was able to replace that through Spinergy without sending the whole wheel back. This may never be a problem for lighter riders, but the materials used in the hub is all aluminum and had major wear marks from the casette on the outside and the rachet ring on the inside which are both steel. Interfacing steel and aluminum is asking for trouble in my opinion and is prone to failure.

Favorite Trail:   grin & holler, squamish bc

Purchased At:   nj cycles

Similar Products Used:   spinergy spox

Bike Setup:   Bullit w single crown & dhx air

Submitted by deine_omi a Cross Country Rider from zurich

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    light, strong, good looking

Weaknesses:    come out of true easily

Bottom Line:
First I was impressed by the stiffness of the wheels. Pedaling became more effective compared to my old wheelset (SunEQ27). After going over high steps several times two spokes of my back wheel loosened so much that they completely fell out of the rim. I gave the wheel for trueing and was happy again for another 6 months until it happened again. I was asking www.bike-mailorder.de for a solution but they were really unfriendly and claimed i broke them (made me more unhappy). The distributor in europe is not helpful at all. Further i tried to buy replacement spokes for my next alpX and had trouble to find resellers in europe. in the end i imported them from u.s. -- When they work - they are a decent wheelset, however support and maintenance is not worth the high price - Go for dt swiss ex 1750 if u want superb quality and easy maintenance. Just imagine, everytime you want to true the wheels you have to disassemble the tire, tubing and the rimtape! Ridiculous

Favorite Trail:   ticino route 66

Purchased At:   www.bike-mailorder.d

Bike Setup:   Canyon Nerve AM 2008 (all mountain)

Submitted by mitchelsan a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong, S.A.R.

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Tough Wheels, Looks the part, No Side Flex, Climbs Great, Hadley Hubs

Weaknesses:    Cassete Spacing needed, if using Shimano XT'S, No replacements spokes with wheels

Bottom Line:
I've had my eyes on these wheels from quite some time now, originally I got into the P..plite for there Bombproof qualities but in an all mountian rig the extra weight penalty was very clear in the uphills. So I went back to the drawing board as to what would give me the best of both worlds Check out quite a few wheels and finally decided on spinergy wheels and did not get dissapointed at all. Altough I took them out for the inagural thrashing to see how they would hold out and passed with ease, very fast wheels, light, good response and gets you where you want to go and fast. If you are looking for a set a fast trail/all mountian set up without having to commit to heavy DH/Freeride rims this is you're ticket. Thanks for the last review because I faced the same chalange with the XT Cassette which I changed the cassette over to a Sram Red cassete with no problems whatsoever on spacing...

Favorite Trail:   Chi-Ma-Wan Trail

Purchased At:   Friendly Bicicle Sho

Similar Products Used:   Atomlab P..mLite, Mavic Crosstrail, Mavic Crossland

Bike Setup:   Commencal Meta 666 VIP frame, 09 Lytic Fork, XT Drive Train "except" Cassette, spinergy Xyclone Enduro, Avid Code Brakes, Thompson Elite Stem & Seat & Chris King Headset, Tioga Flat Pedals

Submitted by TrailMan a Cross Country Rider from Wilfrid,Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Weight - Strength - Look - HADLEY FREEHUB -

Weaknesses:    *** SHIMANO XT CASSETTE DOES NOT FIT WITHOUT SPACER *** Customer Service - Speedo Magnet

Bottom Line:
I am impressed with the performance of this wheelset. They are very robust and fairly light. The sealed cartridge bearings roll beautifully and the Hardley freehub engages positivley and has a quality sound. My problem with this product began when I tried to mount my XT 11-32 cassette. When I installed it and tighened down the locking ring the inside of the cassette was making contact with the hub. Next I tried my XT 11-34 cassette from last season. It fit but loosely allowing it to rock on the freehub. I contacted Kim's and they suggested a 1mm spacer. I got the spacer free from my lbs and installed it and I can now use either cassette. I contacted Spinergy cs,described the problem,and suggested that they include the spacer,and inquired about a source for a magnet to fit the super-size spokes. I was received with an incomplete reply and arrogance on the first try and a more complete slightly less arrogant reply on my second try.
****BOTTOM LINE --- Great Wheelset but if you use SHIMANO XT CASSETTES you may require a 1mm SPACER****

Favorite Trail:   York Regional Forest

Purchased At:   Kim's Ebay Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317 with XT hubs

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Enduro - Pretty Much Stock - All XT

Submitted by ricthedick a Cross Country Rider from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    Light, strong, the wheels have stayed true to this day

Weaknesses:    Other that the dumb azzes at the LBS tensioning the wheels from the spoke side and twisting the crap out of the spokes, none.

Bottom Line:
Best set of wheels I have ever ridden. Been riding them for 8 months now and have never had to have them trued. No issues here with engagement. The wheels have handled everything from the smoothest single track to the roughest downhill. CS is also a plus also. When I got the wheels there were no spoke wrenches. Called CS and they sent me two sets of wrenches and 4 extra spokes. This wheel set is a great choice for all mountain riding.

Favorite Trail:   Every one I have ever ridden

Similar Products Used:   Mavic's

Bike Setup:   Moment, Marz 55 ATA, Formula Oro Bianco brakes

Submitted by Eric Whiteside a Cross Country Rider from Somewhere in Korea

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Strengths:    Rotational weight savings, Stiff!!!! GREAT steering, look bad ass!!

Weaknesses:    Rear freewheel??? Expensive...but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
DAMN!!! That's all I can say on first impression. First ride you IMMEDIATELY notice the rigidity of these wheels. Not harsh, but just rigid. No side flex...stable cornering...just pure solid handling!!!! The oddest thing is that when picking the bike up, it doesn't much lighter overall, but when you go ride you DEFINITELY notice it when you pedal. I can finally say that I truly understand what they mean when people talk about "rotational weight" in your wheelset and how reducing it changes the ride of your bike. MAN, they were SOOOOOOO right. I DO climb better now too, but I'm not sure how much of that is credit to the wheels or just my training...screw it...I'll say it's the wheels!!! The wheels are laterally rigid and when you put power to the pedals, they just GO, GO, GO!!!! I am having a problem though. My rear freewheel is still a bit "tight." i.e. if I backpedal for any reason, the chaing doesn't run back smoothly...nor will the pawls engage immediately upon pedaling. This is most noticeable when trackstanding and trying to resume from it. It's annoying and at times will cause me to have to unclip and put a foot down. If anyone else has a set of these, please tell me if this is normal. Is there a "break in" period with this hub...kinda like with a Chris King??? That's the only problem I have with mine, but I will try to take the freehub off and apply some lube and see if that helps at all. Aside from that, I LOVE THESE WHEELS. I have skimped on my wheels for a very long time and this is the first set that I finally dropped the money for a quality wheelset. It was worth every penny and totally changed the ride quality of my bike. I should have done it a long time ago!

Favorite Trail:   Ummmm...I have to choose ONE?

Purchased At:   BEYOND BIKES

Similar Products Used:   Lots of cheaper wheels

Bike Setup:   2004 C-dale Jekyll "Clydesdale spec," Marzocchi Z2 Drop Off, LX/XT

Submitted by e-rock a Weekend Warrior from Jersey Shore, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    STRENGTH, LIGHT, STIFF, Point and shoot!

Weaknesses:    Price... but its worth it...

Bottom Line:
Best wheels I have ever used. Let me first confess that I am a GEAR-HO and love buying the newest/coolest stuff. I have ridden just about every wheelset there is and these are IT for me. Last wheels I will ever buy. The bike just feels snappier and lighter all over the mtn instantly. Tough as nails. Just bought the Fall-Lines for my freeride bike. I have these on an XC hardtail and my trail bike (Banshee Pyre). LOVE LOVE LOVE. Pricey for most, but you certainly get what you pay for... and the customer service is top-notch! 5 flamin' turds from me bro... ALL DAY LONG.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Woods

Purchased At:   Web

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax, Crossmax XL, Xyclone (regular), all mixes of mavic and shimano, etc

Bike Setup:   Banshee Pyre, Fox Goods, Sram X0/X9

Submitted by bizhsn a Cross Country Rider from petaling jaya,selangor,MALAYSIA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight,strong & awesome looks, mine is with red spokes fitted to a powdercoat black santacruz heckler.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
puchased these awesome looking wheels after reviewing dt swiss e 2200, mavic cosstrail, syncros ds 28 & fulcrum red matal 3.Have no regret even though it is expensive. it was money worth spending & it performs to my expectations.my heckler now is faster on climbs & yet able to take long descents, the heckler now feels much balanced as the weight is centered at the frame.

Favorite Trail:   kemensah

Purchased At:   ksh,ttdi

Similar Products Used:   alex dp17 , syncros ds 23.

Bike Setup:   santacruz heckler fox rp23, full xtr groupset,fox vanilla 32,kenda nevegal 2.35 dtc,sunline h/bars & stem,kcnc scandium seatpost & wtb pure v saddle, mcmahone headset

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Vista, CA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Well Built, Extremely Durable.

Weaknesses:    This is certainly in the minor nit-pick range: I have not had to true these, but if you did, you would need to take the tire and rim strip out to so. No big deal considering these wheels seem pretty resistent to going out of true.

Bottom Line:
These are exceptioanl strong yet light wheels. I was amazed at how much more climbable my All-Mountain bike became after swapping out from a full-blown DH wheelset. The rim is just a little wider than normal (not a full on double-wide) which I think helps strike a good balance between weight and burlyness. The things so far have taking plenty of abuse without the slightest hint of coming out of true.

This is great durable wheelset that is nearly in the racer XC wheelset weight range. Extremely well built and takes trail abuse like it was a DH/FR wheelset. An extremely good option if your are looking to lighten up a porky bike.

Similar Products Used:   Spinergy Xyclone Disc, Spinergy Fall Lines and Mavic Crossmax XL

Bike Setup:   Enduro Pro with a Fox 36RC2 Fork (20mm axle)

Submitted by TexReign a Cross Country Rider from Texas-Rural/Central

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    Light, strong, easiest Stan's conversion I've ever done, look great, Hadley Freewheel, Bling-Bling, 20mm conversion parts included, did I mention light weight?, spoke color choices, . . .

Weaknesses:    Will have to come up with a creative magnet mount for the bike computer.

Bottom Line:
This is based upon my first ride impression, I plan to post a follow-up review after several hundred miles.

Let me begin by saying that with gear I weight around 250lbs. Having had problems over the years breaking spokes on the rear wheel I chose the Enduros primarily for the strength of the PBO spokes. Another factor was the need for a 20mm through-axle hub for the new fork. I considered Easton AM, Bontrager Elite, Dave Thomas custom (DT240/Stans Rim) and after reading postings in the MTBR forums chose the Spinergy Enduros as, IMHO, they were the best value and offered the highest strength to weight ratio. The red spokes look good on the silver/black bike too!

I added the wheelset and a Nixon (thru axle-160mm) fork at the same time. I also knocked a total of 3.2 lbs. off the bike with this conversion (fork & wheels). (Previous fork was an 04 Marzocchi DropOff 1 QR-130mm).

Everything is now so much tighter up front. The wheels spin up nicely, track well, and felt stiff under side and steering loads compared to the Cane Creek Zonos(f)/Duros(r) combo I was running. I noticed absolutely no flex in these wheels while riding my favorite trails. (I used to get tire rub on the Zonos front during G-outs)

I used my original 4-5 year old Standard width Stan's Rim Strip set and was easily able to inflate the Maxxis tires using a floor pump. This amazed me, having been using Stan's for about five years, I was used to needing a compressed air source to make the job easier.

The Hadley freewheel is suprisingly quiet (which I prefer) and it engages very quickly.

I'll post again after I get a few more miles on 'em.

Who should buy them? Any AM and Clyde XC riders looking to increase strength and reduce weight. Riders wanting a forever wheelset that will easily convert between QR and 20mm.

Who shouldn't but them? Riders who would be better served by the lighter Xyclone Disc, and those who prefer rim brakes.

Purchased At:   Kimsbikes-ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Zonos and Duros, Alex Rims, other OEM wheelsets

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 21", Manitou Nixon Platinum 160mm, Sram X.0 r-der/X.9 shifters/Cassette, Shimano XT f-der, Thomson seatpost/stem, Mary bars, Aztek Powerlines cables, RaceFace Atlas Crankset, Wipperman nickel chain, Ergon grips, Maxxis tires, WTB kevlar saddle, Enduro pivot bearings, Cane Creek integrated headset, Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheelset, Formula Oro K18 disc brakes, E13-DRS, rubber chicken. Total weight 31.5 lbs.

Submitted by Jon a Downhiller from Exeter, Devon, UK

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Strengths:    Damn strong, Damn light.

Weaknesses:    comparitively expensive to a set of 'normal' wheels (well in the UK anyway).

Bottom Line:
the best wheels i've ever had the pleasure of using.
these retail at over £500 in the UK ($1000) but boy, they are worth it! for strength vs weight you just cant beet them. + they 'feel' nice out on the trail, the PBO spokes give a slightly softer ride than standard spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Haldon Hill

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossmax xl's.

Bike Setup:   Turner Rail, Sherman fireflys. kinda 4x meets all mountain.

Submitted by SpiderRider a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight yet very durable. Easy maintenance. Looks awesome on my red bike.

Weaknesses:    Unfair advantage for people using something other than Xyclone Enduro.

Bottom Line:
These wheels use 24 spokes with a 26mm wide rim. The spokes are twice the thickness of my Spinergy Xyclone Disc spokes. They are made of the same material but the extra thickness allows for less spokes being used yet a stronger wheel all together. I was told the rim is thicker than the Xyclone Disc which gives me a wheel that is a bit heavier than the Xyclone Disc but even stronger (is that possible?). If you are a guy/girl who likes to take drops and bash the rock gardens yet still pedal uphill this is the wheel set for you. There are not many wheels that are this light yet still handle the punishment of the everyday "trail bike". Buy them you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Similar Products Used:   Various mavic wheels and mavic rims with Shimano hubs. Xyclone Disc (awesome wheels).

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider VPP, Xyclone Enduro, Full XTR.

Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheelset - Own 'em? Like 'em?

I've been riding on a used Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheelset for almost two months now and I'm really liking these wheels. I've read complaints about them being flexy but I've not noticed. They're light, track well, and sexy with those 24 fat spokes. :D Plus, I had to overhaul mine when I bough ... Read More »

Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheels

Hi guys. Can any owners of these wheels share their experience? Does it really weigh 1840 grams? tksRead More »

Spinergy Xyclone enduro ?

Anyone know how many engagement points for the rear hub ? ThanxRead More »

Spinergy Xyclone Disc, Enduro's, or Havoc's???

Looking at a new wheel set for my XCL. I'm trying to keep the weight around 1700 grams and want to run 2.3-2.4 tires. The Xyclone disc matches my weight requirements but I'm concerned that the rim is too narrow for the tires I want to run. Has anyone tried wider tires on these rims? I'll probabl ... Read More »

Spinergy Xyclone disk or enduro?

Sorry for all the spinergy questions.... I am looking for new wheels and have possibly settled on spinergys. I am about 220-ish (working my way down) and have a Titus motolite. This season I seem to be interested in pain and have signed up for a 50 amd 100 mile race and really want to get lig ... Read More »