Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset

4.85/5 (54 Reviews)
Weight : 1695 grams MSRP : $1000.00

Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset. Wheels made with Custom US made alloy freehub with vacuum seal CNC machined hubs, with sealed cartridge bearings for minimal rolling resistance. 6 bolt international standard pattern for disc mounting Light weight alloy

Submitted by guy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2016

Strengths:    durable and reliable , lightweight,stiff, strong, awesome customer service!

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
never had to true them. can't really explain but the just feel good.
just love those wheels!

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2016

Strengths:    I originally bought these wheels in 2003, had a hub failure a couple months ago....pretty good life..13 years. Couldn't buy the part because wheel was too old. Joe at spinergy hooked me up in a big way. Not only do these wheels stay trew, but they're light as hell and strong. Weather I'm riding road or dirt..I'll be rolling on spinergy wheels, if for no other reason than the absolutely kick ass customer support...thanks again Joe...so glad to be rolling again

Weaknesses:    Zero....you can't go wrong with customer service like these guys have

Bottom Line:
These wheels kick ass, stay true, and look great

Submitted by bikndc a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2015

Strengths:    They are light and strong. They have only needed to be trued 3 times in 10 years!

Weaknesses:    None really....

Bottom Line:
I've had my wheels for 10 years and they are still great! Just had an issue with the axle and Joe at Spinergy was awesome in helping me resolve the issue! I want to say thanks to him and keep up the great customer service!

Submitted by kingaucho

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2014

Strengths:    They look great, pretty light, very low maintenance, excellent Spinergy customer service.

Weaknesses:    The rim is pretty narrow, so it may be tough to run them tubeless safely. I put 2 layers of tape and higher up on the side of the rim, but still had no luck.

Bottom Line:
I have had these rims for a little over a year and have close to 2000 miles on them and have been very happy. They look awesome, very low maintenance (have not had to true them), the fiber dampens the ride, etc. The only drawback to me is that I could not run them tubeless without worrying that the tires would burp. The guys at Spinergy are great to deal with. Pretty sure I will be buying another set of Xyclones for a hardtail project I plan on starting soon,

Submitted by zydecobro

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2014

Strengths:    Light..aggressive look..strong..easy change axle sizes without having to replace hubs

Weaknesses:    Being that the 27.5 industry is predominantly all mountain..Spinergy needs to put an (all-mountain rim/wider rim) in their lineup the problem im having with 2.3 or 2.4 wide tires with low pressure ill get extreme tire roll..i know the easy fix is to run high tire pressure well if thats the case then this throws out fine tuning your ride when it comes to those vital seconds in racing where tires pressure is key..Schwalbe suggest running 23-28 psi on their 2.3-2.4 tires for optimal performance
it wont work on these wheels youll get really bad tire roll going into jumps or coming off a jump youll find yourself over correcting and thats not good same applies to tight turns

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is i have always owned Spinergy wheels 26ers 29ers and now 27.5 cause they are very strong and last
not to mention they look good and when you look good you feel good and when you feel good you ride good
but PLEASE make a 27.5 all mountain wider rim wheelset Spinergy ???

Favorite Trail:   begal bites, miracle mile, west ridge, noble canyon

Duration Product Used:   1500 miles

Purchased At:   spinergy

Submitted by FastXR a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Strengths:    Super light, look great, stay true, hubs convertible to different axle sizes, work great tubeless and awesome after sales support!

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels on a whim for a great price at a bike show, the dealer selling them highly recommended them and I was looking for a nice light weight XC wheel and the Spinergy Xyclone Disc fit the bill perfectly and the price was right so I gave them a shot.

In between the time I purchased these wheels which were setup with the standard QR axles I ended up building a new MTB which had a 15QR axle on the fork so without a conversion I wouldn't be able to use the wheels. So I contacted Joe at Spinergy and he replied quickly and hooked me up with everything I needed to convert to the new axle. Truly a class act and really great guy, I have emailed back and forth with him numerous times!

So now I have the wheels setup running tubeless (which was super easy to do) with 1.95 Kenda Nevegal Lite front and rear and have been riding with this setup from the beginning of the season with zero issues from the wheels. They are stiff and light, the free hub has great engagement and the PBO spokes are really strong as I've had numerous sticks kicked up into my rear spokes and they just sliced right thru them with out issue. Basically an all round great wheelset at a great price with great support, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set!

Purchased At:   Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   WTB SX24

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight 26"

Submitted by james

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    fast, strong, and quiet tubeless ready, and the people that work at spinergy

Bottom Line:
stiff, tubeless ready and the support of spinergy

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Looks Cool, sounds cool, light, and WAY stronger than they look. Real Chick Magnets!!!
Never had any problem with them other than attracting thieves!
Great Customer Service!!!

Weaknesses:    No built in alarm system.

Bottom Line:
I'm actually on my 2nd set of Spinergy's. 1st set got stolen, along with my Yeti 575, so I got another Yeti off CraigsList and another set of Spinergy's off eBay. Never had Any problem a'tall with these wheels. At 223 with my CamelBack, I used to worry about the wheels holding up, but they never once got out of true despite bashing 'em pretty hard around Denver, Boulder, Buffalo Creek, Breck, Fruita, and Moab.
Pulled an endo 1/2 way thru Horsethief Bench a couple months ago, rear wheel came down sideways on a rock and bent the Xyclone rim about 1 1/2 inch. Bummers!!! Spokes held it all together just fine though and we finished the ride, just a bit wobbly on cornering.
Contacted Joe D at Spinergy and he gave me a RTA to ship him the wheel and they'd look at it. A couple weeks later, I got the wheel back with new rim, lots of new spokes, reman'd hub,,, basically a whole new wheel for just a few bucks.
Now That's GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Thanks Joe!!!

Favorite Trail:   Redhawk Ridge - Castle Rock

Duration Product Used:   6+ years

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CrossTrail

Bike Setup:   2010 Yeti 575, XTR, Avid Juicy,

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Stay true. Light. Strong.

Weaknesses:    Like any wheel, you need to change the bearings once in a while. Also, the end caps came loose a couple months after I bought them--but that was easy fix.

Bottom Line:
Let me tell you: these wheels stay true. I've had them for over four years on two different frames. I've popped tubes on rock gardens, taken drops, and recently was in an accident where my front wheel was turned too sharp and as it skid along pine needles and rocks got jammed in between the tire and rim--the wheel stayed true.
The front bearings aren't too hard to replace and they are a standard size so you can buy new ones from mcmaster-carr. I have not worked on the hub yet, so I don't have information on it. I recently upgraded to a 15mm through-axle on the front, which can be had for $50 from bikebling.
I definitely recommend these.

Submitted by scrubber a Cross Country Rider from Courtice Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Cool looks,resonable weight

Weaknesses:    Flexy,Free hub failure

Bottom Line:
The steel notched Ring which is only pressed into rear hub breaks free and you'll be going no where fast.No warranty when bought used so check the warr. before you buy.

Favorite Trail:   Sedona

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax(bad freehub seal),XT (good but 2 broken axles,both warr.and new axle is improved)

Bike Setup:   Trek EX Carbon

Submitted by Krakanator a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely light and strong wheelset. Look great and hold up to any and all abuse I can throw at them.

Weaknesses:    Truing wrench looks like its going to break the first time I use it, but I havent had to yet!

Bottom Line:
Great wheels at a great price, I would definately recommend to a friend and I would put them on all my bikes if I had more bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 117s, 223s

Bike Setup:   1x9 Cannondale Rush, Lefty, XT/LX gruppo, race face atlas bars, ergon grips, Intense system 4 tires, Homebrewed components ring

Submitted by bikingbob a Cross Country Rider from Lawrenceville, Ga

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light, strong, and requies little maintenance

Bottom Line:
I have used this wheelset for the past three years had they have exceeded all expectations. I feel comfortable riding them in the roughest trails and have never had to true them. Only had 2 minor problems. The front wheel caps loosened up and make a noise, but this was easily fixed by using hex wrenches to tighten them. After riding them about a year the rear hub stopped engaging because it had not been maintained. It was very simple to take the hub apart and clean and re lube.

I don't think there is a better wheelset value at this price range and I am going to buy a new wheelset for the Yeti ASL I am building.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossride, Mavic SL

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by doodoo a Weekend Warrior from L.A

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    strong,durable,light,stay true after 2years,

Weaknesses:    I got the wheelset about 2years ago the only thing is the freehub and hub bearing need maintain after 3 months if you ride a lot .

Bottom Line:
they're strong,I blow up my front tire once on a downhill trail,basically I rode on the rim and I thought I was gonna true the wheels - but they *****stay true***** even after 2 years abuse they still stay true !!! WTF !!! If you know little about mechanic you can do the hub maintenance by yourself they also the tech doc on their website. 15QR adapter is also available for purchase .

Favorite Trail:   too many

Similar Products Used:   hope pro2 ,pro3 wheels

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo, trek ex8 , giant trance x0,heckler,blur lt,niner rip 9.. too many

Submitted by pianoboy a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Ridiculously light. Stiff. Terrific price point. Strong.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Wow. I knew I was taking a step up in the world but I was shocked. Used a scale for before and afters and I shed over a pound from each wheel. Came true from the factory, haven't needed to tighten them yet. The value of these things is incredible. Building/buying a "normal" premium wheelset would be at least $200 more. The colour is a little bling but I'm proud to show them off.

Interested to see how durable they will be over a few years of riding but so far I'm thrilled.

Favorite Trail:   Powderface