Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset

4.88/5 (48 Reviews)
Weight : 1695 grams MSRP : $1000.00

Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset. Wheels made with Custom US made alloy freehub with vacuum seal CNC machined hubs, with sealed cartridge bearings for minimal rolling resistance. 6 bolt international standard pattern for disc mounting Light weight alloy

Submitted by james

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    fast, strong, and quiet tubeless ready, and the people that work at spinergy

Bottom Line:
stiff, tubeless ready and the support of spinergy

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Looks Cool, sounds cool, light, and WAY stronger than they look. Real Chick Magnets!!!
Never had any problem with them other than attracting thieves!
Great Customer Service!!!

Weaknesses:    No built in alarm system.

Bottom Line:
I'm actually on my 2nd set of Spinergy's. 1st set got stolen, along with my Yeti 575, so I got another Yeti off CraigsList and another set of Spinergy's off eBay. Never had Any problem a'tall with these wheels. At 223 with my CamelBack, I used to worry about the wheels holding up, but they never once got out of true despite bashing 'em pretty hard around Denver, Boulder, Buffalo Creek, Breck, Fruita, and Moab.
Pulled an endo 1/2 way thru Horsethief Bench a couple months ago, rear wheel came down sideways on a rock and bent the Xyclone rim about 1 1/2 inch. Bummers!!! Spokes held it all together just fine though and we finished the ride, just a bit wobbly on cornering.
Contacted Joe D at Spinergy and he gave me a RTA to ship him the wheel and they'd look at it. A couple weeks later, I got the wheel back with new rim, lots of new spokes, reman'd hub,,, basically a whole new wheel for just a few bucks.
Now That's GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Thanks Joe!!!

Favorite Trail:   Redhawk Ridge - Castle Rock

Duration Product Used:   6+ years

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CrossTrail

Bike Setup:   2010 Yeti 575, XTR, Avid Juicy,

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Stay true. Light. Strong.

Weaknesses:    Like any wheel, you need to change the bearings once in a while. Also, the end caps came loose a couple months after I bought them--but that was easy fix.

Bottom Line:
Let me tell you: these wheels stay true. I've had them for over four years on two different frames. I've popped tubes on rock gardens, taken drops, and recently was in an accident where my front wheel was turned too sharp and as it skid along pine needles and rocks got jammed in between the tire and rim--the wheel stayed true.
The front bearings aren't too hard to replace and they are a standard size so you can buy new ones from mcmaster-carr. I have not worked on the hub yet, so I don't have information on it. I recently upgraded to a 15mm through-axle on the front, which can be had for $50 from bikebling.
I definitely recommend these.

Submitted by scrubber a Cross Country Rider from Courtice Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Cool looks,resonable weight

Weaknesses:    Flexy,Free hub failure

Bottom Line:
The steel notched Ring which is only pressed into rear hub breaks free and you'll be going no where fast.No warranty when bought used so check the warr. before you buy.

Favorite Trail:   Sedona

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax(bad freehub seal),XT (good but 2 broken axles,both warr.and new axle is improved)

Bike Setup:   Trek EX Carbon

Submitted by Krakanator a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely light and strong wheelset. Look great and hold up to any and all abuse I can throw at them.

Weaknesses:    Truing wrench looks like its going to break the first time I use it, but I havent had to yet!

Bottom Line:
Great wheels at a great price, I would definately recommend to a friend and I would put them on all my bikes if I had more bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 117s, 223s

Bike Setup:   1x9 Cannondale Rush, Lefty, XT/LX gruppo, race face atlas bars, ergon grips, Intense system 4 tires, Homebrewed components ring

Submitted by bikingbob a Cross Country Rider from Lawrenceville, Ga

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light, strong, and requies little maintenance

Bottom Line:
I have used this wheelset for the past three years had they have exceeded all expectations. I feel comfortable riding them in the roughest trails and have never had to true them. Only had 2 minor problems. The front wheel caps loosened up and make a noise, but this was easily fixed by using hex wrenches to tighten them. After riding them about a year the rear hub stopped engaging because it had not been maintained. It was very simple to take the hub apart and clean and re lube.

I don't think there is a better wheelset value at this price range and I am going to buy a new wheelset for the Yeti ASL I am building.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossride, Mavic SL

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by doodoo a Weekend Warrior from L.A

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    strong,durable,light,stay true after 2years,

Weaknesses:    I got the wheelset about 2years ago the only thing is the freehub and hub bearing need maintain after 3 months if you ride a lot .

Bottom Line:
they're strong,I blow up my front tire once on a downhill trail,basically I rode on the rim and I thought I was gonna true the wheels - but they *****stay true***** even after 2 years abuse they still stay true !!! WTF !!! If you know little about mechanic you can do the hub maintenance by yourself they also the tech doc on their website. 15QR adapter is also available for purchase .

Favorite Trail:   too many

Similar Products Used:   hope pro2 ,pro3 wheels

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo, trek ex8 , giant trance x0,heckler,blur lt,niner rip 9.. too many

Submitted by pianoboy a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Ridiculously light. Stiff. Terrific price point. Strong.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Wow. I knew I was taking a step up in the world but I was shocked. Used a scale for before and afters and I shed over a pound from each wheel. Came true from the factory, haven't needed to tighten them yet. The value of these things is incredible. Building/buying a "normal" premium wheelset would be at least $200 more. The colour is a little bling but I'm proud to show them off.

Interested to see how durable they will be over a few years of riding but so far I'm thrilled.

Favorite Trail:   Powderface

Similar Products Used:   Sun/Ringle, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element.

Submitted by INTENSEcretAgent a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light & durable. Improved support from mfg. 8 years old and still true.

Weaknesses:    Same flex noticed in other reviews. "No fault replacement" is not really worth it. (you can find online cheaper)

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this wheel since 2002. It has thousands of miles on them. It is light and durable. I have hit up to 225lbs, and in 8 years this wheel has never needed to be trued and has only had one failure that the mfg was very helpful in resolving. They were not always this way, so I am glad to see it has improved. My next wheel set will be another Spinergy. Recommendation: Use Mobil 1 oil to lubricate the prawls.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Mavic, Spinergy Rev X & RoX.

Bike Setup:   Spider XVP sub 25lbs.

Submitted by mikebsc7 a Cross Country Rider from Taunton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, Low Maintenance, Low Rolling Resistance, Bling Bling Bling

Weaknesses:    None since I've had them, the white spokes don't even look dirty when the rest of the bike is.

Bottom Line:
These are by far the coolest wheels you can get and I get nothing but compliments on them. They are remarkably stiff for a wheel that absorbs vibration. Plus they make that wonderful whurring when you coast. I couldn't be happier, unless I had bought the red ones!

Favorite Trail:   Massassoit

Purchased At:   Silver City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None, there's nothing out there like Spinergy's PBO system

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Epic Marathon, XT

Submitted by luvsmytrance a Weekend Warrior from buckscounty,PA, united states

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    Crazy light, stiff and strong, no issues what so ever mechanically, look great

Weaknesses:    Special tools needed for routine service,

Bottom Line:
I am no racer but I usually try to ride twice weekly.also I am a big guy at 230 lbs and these wheels have treated me more than well. still relatively true, no bearing issues, and just now needing the spoke tension tightened. Overall definitely a great wheelset especially for the money I paid. I was a little sceptical about the durability considering my size but I am now 100% sure I bought the right wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   neshaminy

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossmax xl, race lite,crossrides

Bike Setup:   08 trance1,fox,xt,

Submitted by sdcadbiker a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Strengths:    Light, strong, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Spoke sheath prone to damage.

Bottom Line:
It's been two years now and these wheels have survived and performed beyond any reasonable expectation; I have raced them, ridden all kinds of trails in CA, CO & AZ and the worst that happened is one broken spoke and some ripped spoke casings; I didn't even notice either for a couple rides. Just a few days ago I got a stick trapped between the cassette and the wheel, this ripped the sheaths on all the drive-side spokes but again, I didn't notice until later; both times the wheel went just slightly out of true, both times I contacted Spinergy CS and replacement parts were at my door within 48 hours. OK, it helps that I live in the same town as the company...
I have no hesitation in recommending this wheelset to anyone who races XC or rides trails; DH & FR guys, Spinergy make wheels for you too but not these...
I have them set up tubeless with Stans standard rimstrip & two scoops of juice, Nevegal up front, SB8 in back, both at 22PSI. No burps. farts or flats!

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Beyond

Similar Products Used:   Notubes, Alex, generic crap.

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux, Fox F100, XTR drivetrain, stroker brakes, Thomson/Easton, eggbeaters, Kenda.

Submitted by SuperbMan a Cross Country Rider from The Homeland, Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    They are Very strong, and very light. They have good (Hadley internals) hubs that roll smoothly and engage quickly. One of the few light wheelsets that come 20mm compatible and they Look dang cool as well.

Weaknesses:    A little funky-you need a special tool to true them-although, in a year of hard riding they have yet to go out of true

Bottom Line:
I was apprehensive buying these, but I've been absolutely delighted riding them for over a year now. They spin up and accelerate great (and they are surprisingly stiff under power!!). And yet, due to those cool spokes, they have a nice dampening quality as well (especially appreciated on a hardtail!)--from Kingdom Trails, to lynn woods, to a few DH lift service days at Mt Snow, to some long, long Epic xc rides, these wheels have really held up, look great and feel great.

Also, I highly recommend getting them with the 20mm thru axle converted option-I'm a big fan of the thru-axle even on xc forks and xc applications and this is one of the few 'light' wheels' where that is even possible.

Pick up a pair, you won't regret it! Why run heavy wheels when you can run lighter wheels that are just as strong?!?

Favorite Trail:   Hannah Swarton's Remove