Spinergy Xyclone 29er Wheelset

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Spinergy Xyclone 29 Wheels: This lightweight and incredibly fast wheelset can handle the most extreme conditions while delivering superior performance. Advanced PBO Fiber spokes. Ideal for cross-country,endure and all-mountain.

Submitted by ligniteminer a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Strength, look sexy as hell on my blue and orange bike, Customer service, customer service, customer service

Weaknesses:    Heavyish, truing while set up tubeless

Bottom Line:
Bought mine a couple years ago, set them up tubeless with some yellow tape. Run my tires under 30 psi, even when I weighed 190 lbs. Had to true them once, damn rock in the Texas hill country. Just rode them in the muddiest nastiest ace ever, where most of us carried our bikes further than we rode them. Post race, my whole bike was a mess and, the freehub was not in the best shape, called Spinergy up, talked to Joe in service, he ran down the parts to gut the hub and rebuild, shot the breeze for a bit. Blows me away how personal the customer service is, I have called them before to ask about tightening the cones, they treat you like you just walked through your LBS's door. When the road bike needs wheels, they will be from spinergy, when the next bike is built, they will be from spinergy. Can say enough about how much value you get from them.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Hammer 29'r Single Speed

Submitted by paul a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    Quality to Price Ratio (QPR) You cannot beat the value. I bought a set for my son who rides fast and is fast total XC. One full season of hard riding, training, and racing and no issues EVER! I brought the rims in to get the hubs re-sealed and the guy from the shop says they where in perfect shape. They may not be the lightest but they are amazing. Such an undervalued rim in the market. So, many follow the herd of sheep with what rims to go with. I bought these with some reviews and these rims are fast. They spin smooth and you can train all day long without a problem.

Weaknesses:    If they could develop a lighter model for pure racers sub 150 ILBS and get down to 1500-1600 grams they would own the market.

Bottom Line:
At 1800 grams they will weigh as mush as many top $1K wheels that are within 50 grams. A great product and you will be happy. I was tired of spending $$$ on shop repairs. These rims bring that cost down. Buy them and ride them all day and night long!!

Duration Product Used:   2 seasons

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   Stans-Mavic-American Classic

Bike Setup:   Niner Carbon Hed Jet RDO. All bling bling.

Submitted by Nicco

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Light, tough and very durable

Weaknesses:    Tot tubeless ready. Must use Stans NoTube kit to seal properly. Defeats the purpose of a lighter wheel. Not a weakness though if you don't mind riding tubes.

Bottom Line:
My Spinergy Xyclone 29 wheelset has been through 2 singlespeed bikes, 2 geared bikes, all the training rides leading up to Leadville Trail (approx. 1000+ miles) and Leadville 100.

Not to mention countless of rides in SoCal... a few 12 and 24 hour races. All-in-all, lots of miles. Guess when I bought them? 2008.

4 years, nearly 10,000 miles, on singlespeed or full suspension... great wheels. Can you find better? I suppose. Can you find lighter? Absolutely. Can you find a more loyal customer than me? Not a chance...

Next bike is a Specialized Camber. Guess what wheelset I'm putting on this new bike? Brand new pair of Spinergy Xyclones.

Submitted by joshuagore a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Durability, Hubs, and Looks

Weaknesses:    Spokes availability.

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels because I wanted to take a chance on something different. I have always admired products that find other ways to skin the cat besides that of traditional methods.

Performance: These wheels are the same weight as advertised 1850g, and accelerate well, but are not as laterally stiff as high tension offerings from Easton, Mavic or Tricon. I believe they offer a great value for someone interested in durability over race pace.

Durability: I am clydesdale and ride these wheels fairly hard, and this has not been without incident. The wheelset has taken 2 der to the spokes at speed and although not the wheels fault the spokes have incurred damage. This damage was ridden on for 3 months of hard riding and the wheel still never came out true. The spokes consist of what looks like aramid fibers bonded to a threaded tip, and a mushroom head at the tail covered with a plastic sheath which looks to be heat shrink and provides light protection against sticks, and stones, but not against anything that would destroy a traditional spoke. I mention this because as I said earlier they did take a serious beating in the form of two der hits which caused the exterior sheath to tear and several damaged spokes. I rode on 8 damaged and frayed spokes for 3 months of hard riding including a trip to moab and several 2 foot drops. The easiest solution to ensuring your Xyclones are not damaged is to make sure your limit screws did not vibrate out of your der on the way to your destination(happened twice), and your rear der cable isn't too short as to force the der into the spokes on a big hit.

Conclusion: I have ridden these wheels as thought they were all mountain wheels despite that not being there designation, and have been ahppy with them. The hubs have disassembled twice and seals have kept things clean without any problems. The more recent hubs are made by hadley. Overall these are the best bang for the buck in 29er wheels, and I highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of 29er wheels.

Bike Setup:   DW Sultan, WB Fluid 135, XO, etc...

Submitted by suvacrew a Racer from Raumati Beach, Wellington, NZ

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Strengths:    Ruggedness despite the sheath on the PBO spokes. Comfortable, seem to take that little extra out of the hits. Way light compared to others at 2X the price.

Weaknesses:    21mm Rim width is little narrow, can't run 2.35s at lower PSI, I had a bead burp off on a race and I rode a ways on the rim with no major damage. XC use only

Bottom Line:
I've had Spins on roadies before, Rev Xs that have exploded and left me on the pavement with an ambulance ride to a positive history with a series of Spox R1s and Rs that have served me well. Apart from my Rev X experience, the experiences have all been very positive.
These Xyclones beat the other wheels I've experimented with on my 29er. The Bontragers failed to stay true on the second ride and the front failed to the point of no repair...just junk, The Am Classics I retain as a back-up,they lacked the snap that the Spins give and don't take the edge off of the terrain when you're dashing on a hardtail.
Spinergy's customer service has been very responsive over the years and getting spare parts has been very easy. It helps if the loca bike mechanic is familiar with the build set-up.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Beach from Marlette

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   American Classic 29ers, Bontrager X lite race TLR CL

Bike Setup:   Orbea Alma 29er, Zeuz Carb, XTR, Devo, Spin Xyclone w/red spokes, Rampage 2.35s up front, Kenda Small Block 8 out rear, Ritchey WCS V-4.

Submitted by jrm29 a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Super solid I am a clyde and they hold up amazing. Have yet to true either of my 2 sets 1 year now!

Weaknesses:    Need to offer tubless setup would put them over the top for me

Bottom Line:
Great product solid.. hubs are amazing..have no clue what they are? Just perform great for me have them on both my 29ers

Favorite Trail:   Los Robles

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax,Sun Ringle

Bike Setup:   Moto Fyi TI 29er HT, Kona Hei Hei Deluxe FS 2011

Submitted by Kaizen a Cross Country Rider from Belmont, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, Strong. Never seems to need truing. Fast hubs. Great Looks.

Weaknesses:    Skewers are heavy, but functional

Bottom Line:
These wheels are bombproof. They are the best combination of light and strong wheels I have found in this price range. Actually, they are better than wheels I have run that are twice their price. And they have major bling potential with the various spoke color options: black, red, yellow, white, blue -- sweet!

Favorite Trail:   Demonstration Forest

SRAM XO
FSA KForce

Submitted by Doug_ID a Cross Country Rider from Lewisto, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Strengths:    Light, spin well, stay true, smooth ride, look nice

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
No regrest buying these wheels. Put over 2k on them so far no issues at all.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager

Bike Setup:   fisher paragon setup for x-country touring

Submitted by leverick a Cross Country Rider from Durango

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, Strong, Strong. Hubs are great as well.

Bottom Line:
These are great wheels for the price with nice performing hubs. I'm a clyde at 200 lbs and have put some fairly serious hits on these wheels and they are true as day one.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   Mavic and others.

Bike Setup:   Kona 29er FS.

Submitted by Docklobster a Weekend Warrior from Murrieta, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    I went through spinergy's upgrade program and switched over from my 26" setup and old spox wheelset to the new 29er set.

I have put about 50 rides on this set so far and have had zero issues. This wheelset has performed great!! Stays true, durable and is a great price for a light wheelset. If you are looking for a good performing wheelset give these a try.

Weaknesses:    Skewers - I changed mine after the first ride they just didn't hold well for me. A tubeless option would be nice.

Bottom Line:
The right wheelset for me at the right price - checkout the upgrade program if you have some older spinergy's laying around.

Purchased At:   Spinergy

Submitted by Docklobster a Weekend Warrior from Murrieta, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    What a great light weight wheelset, especially for the price!!

I have put a good 50 rides on these so far and they have performed great, stayed true, and bearings are in great shape. I have also recently gone to a 203mm rotor on the front and have had no issues with the wheelset holding up to the larger rotor.

Weaknesses:    Skewers - I replaced them after the first ride, they just didn't hold well enough for me. A tubeless option would be nice!

Bottom Line:
Anyone looking for a durable lightweight wheelset at an affordable price for a 29er should try these out.

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, absorbs shock, acceleration, tough, reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    Skewers, no Maxle option

Bottom Line:
This wheelset is crazy light. Actual weigh came in at 1680 grams, great acceleration and isolates vibration. On jumps it feels like my hardtail is a softtail and they are tougher than they look. What's amazing are the PBO spokes, an LBS dealer showed me a demo spoke and you can tie a knot on itself like a shoelace, crazy! They corner well and the hubs so far are solid. Wish the front hub was Maxle convertible, doh! Spinergy skewers are awful performance and cosmetic wise. A several times the skewer as slipped off the dropout.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA