Spinergy Wheels Wheelset

3.26/5 (122 Reviews)

Spinergy Rev-X-Rox Wheels

Submitted by Rl9010 a Cross Country Rider from Redwood City

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light Weight
Looks...I mean COME ON!
speed
sound...hums on the road

Weaknesses:    May not be for heavier riders
Breaking sticks on rides is worrysome...then later amusing.
Not available anymore

Bottom Line:
Awesome Wheelset For Lightweight Riders...
I am 135 pounds and these wheels are a blast! True since the day I got them in 97. I like to jump a lot and the wheels hold up. Never have to worry about pinchflats.
Becareful changing tires though, the spokes can be sharp. I have logged many thousands of miles on and off trail, absolutly the best I have tried... I proabbly won't have to buy another wheelset.

Similar Products Used:   stock wire wheels trek stage 3

Bike Setup:   trek 9800 Oclv Carbon rock shox judy xc shimano xt components

Submitted by Wes Drake a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    Looks, Strength, always perfectly centered.

Weaknesses:    Pricey, Is effected by heavy wind gusts.

Bottom Line:
These wheels helped me defeat hundreds of racers in CA, I was the only one who raced with them at the time, and to this day, 6 years later I ride with the same pair and they are strong and strait, exactly the way I bought them new in 1997. Over 6 years of racing I never had to touch them. How many wheels have you all went through in that time, I can't believe the negitive remarks on these wheels. Spinergy Rocks!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing is simular.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, Carbon Judy Rockshock FSX, Continental Tires

Submitted by Adam ODonnell a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    Sturdy Rim

Weaknesses:    Aweful Hubs, Zero Customer Service, A total waste of your $$$

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Spinergy Fall line FR Wheels.

These wheels are the biggest piece of junk I've ever used. Spinergy advertises these to wheels work with Shimano 8 & 9 speed clusters. This is only half tru. The don't work with the new XT or XTR clusters. XTR doesn't even fit on the hub, & my new style XT cluster actually cuts into the hub. Since the cluster continues to move forward while I coast, I have a silly amount of slack chain, and a good 1/2 to full revolution prior to the rear wheel engaging again. This doesn't even address the questionable integrity of the hub now that it's been cut into by the cluser. ARRGGHH!!

I called Spinergy to share this issue with them, and spoke with Ermillo who told me this was a "compatability issue", and they would not replace my wheel, nor do anything else for me. I had to beg for a hub, and was told he had to check with the big boss, and would get back to me the next day. After no return call as promised, I had to call back only to find out this guy was out of the office for a week. What a pain in the butt!

The only good thing I can say is the the wheel is strong, and I've never had to true it. I ride agressive cross country, and try to get air at every opportunity. I weigh 195lbs. Bummer is the hub is junk, and the company is a vacume of customer service

Supergo is my only saving Grace. They have agreed to allow me to return these wheels & trade up to Crossmax XL disc (paying the difference of course). The customer service at Supergo is excellent, and I will always purchase my equipment from them (and my local shop). They don't carry this wheel any longer, so you can draw your own conclusions.

If you're thinking of ANY Spinergy product...DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS JUNK! These people do not stand by their products. At $650 with tax & shipping, you're paying about $625 too much. I have never been so disapointed with any mountain bike component I've owned...ever!!

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs-Blue Blossom

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Ryno Lights, Bontrager Race lights, Sub fours

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth ID, Hays Disk, XTR drivetrain, Thompson Seatpost/stem. King headset, Michelin Wildgripper Hot S.

Submitted by Mark Talbot a Cross Country Rider from Swanzey

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, light, look cool

Weaknesses:    The stickers peel, but what heck ! Stick 'em back on

Bottom Line:
I suspect that those who have written negative comments fall into the group of overweight riders on light bikes, freeriding and dropping off large jumps. I saw one guy who must have weighted in at 250 lbs jumping off huge drop offs, smashing his bike and moaning that it couldn't take the hits. Idiot.

I have two sets of X-roxs. I bought both pairs used. Two of my friends have used them, one guys races and swears by them. It would seem that the 3 of us are buying up all used X-roxs as we love these wheels.

They are strong and light. Always true, take huge hits and keep on going. They do flex, but get a set of X-beam stiffeners and you will be all set.

Purchased At:   Second hand

Bike Setup:   K2 4000 and K2 4500 Carbon

Submitted by Tom Essick a Racer from Landstuhl, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Very weak, flexy, non-truable, heavy wheelset. Spinergy's customer service and knowledge of the products they sell is simply horrible and unacceptable.

Bottom Line:
Honestly wouldn't even recommend these wheels to someone even trying to look cool. I laugh when some other sucker has bought them. The first serious mtb ride produced a wobble in the rear wheel. Deciding to minimize the damage, my spinergy's where reduced to road ride's only on the mountain bike. $450 for a pair of mtb wheels that can't handle one ride?? Take your spinergy wheels out on a gravel road and "feel" how flexy these wheels actually are!! My braking surface has since worn thru and cracked. Spinergy will only give me 50% off "retail" price for a replacement set!! I am stationed in Germany with the army, and Spinergy has yet to answer my repeated emails and phone calls regarding replacement. It seems you can only warranty wheels in the states. Bottom line, if you want the look of spinergy wheels, buy some spoked Tune or XTR wheels and place carbon fiber tape between your spokes! You'll still be smarter than dealing with Spinergy!

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Tune, XTR, American Classic.

Bike Setup:   Dean Duke: race set up.

Submitted by ew a Racer from ew

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Strengths:    HEY Can we get a review sections for the new Spinergy XYClone Disc Wheelset !!!?????

Bottom Line:
Review section for XYClone wheelsets please!?? The have been out for a month now.HEY Can we get a review sections for the new Spinergy XYClone Disc Wheelset !!!?????HEY Can we get a review sections for the new Spinergy XYClone Disc Wheelset !!!?????

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    looks, aero, trued them once in a year, almost light
when they break you get sweet wheels for free

Weaknesses:    catch's cross winds,
don't make them anymore

Bottom Line:
Sweet wheels, i had problems with destroying wheels
so i got these
and trued them once in a year

but...

after a road race, (yes on my mountain bike...)
on the way home i heard something rattling in my rim
when i got home, i noticed one of the trueing screws busted

and they don't make the wheels anymore, so i can't get the part
BUT, Spinergy is replaceing it with some new wheel, just talked to the shop today, can't remember what its called.
i'm a light rider,
good wheels for me
i put them through hell
and they never once went to far outta true
(but they did break on the road)

Favorite Trail:   snakes 'n' ladders

Similar Products Used:   regular wheels

Bike Setup:   99 s-works, XTR, Raceface

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    Look cool
Aero (not much use on an MTB)

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy (for the $$)
Flexy
Can't be repaired
Hard to inflate tire (valve extenders)
Catch crosswinds
Poor quality control
Expensive

Bottom Line:
When I got these wheels the hub was loose and the weld on the front rim bulged, causing thudding under braking. I fixed those problems myself, and ended up with a heavy, flexy set of wheels that handled and accellerated like hogs. Two weeks later I had a dent in one of the rims (still can't figure out how I got it) that can't be repaired. I ended up bending it back out as best I could with a wrench.

Other than aesthetics, there is just no reason to buy these wheels--they don't do anything well and do most things poorly. If you have a burning desire to look cool and don't care about performance, buy them used--there's always someone trying to unload a pair. I sold mine for $100.

Favorite Trail:   Fisher

Similar Products Used:   Mavic/Sun/Cane Creek/Bontrager

Bike Setup:   0CLV/Manitou/9.0sl/Mavic 517

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    No truing needed

Weaknesses:    I road these wheels on Florida trails for 2 years, After 1 season in Colorado the rear hub broke loose from the spokes and entailed a 10 mile walk out from porcupine rim trail in moab. After calling the rep and getting NO return phone call I will never again buy another wheel from this company. I have been told by bike mechanics across the country that these wheels could not handle the rigors of hard off road use( after I broke the rearwheel) and that these rims have experienced this malady often. I understand that the road wheels are of good quality but with the Rowlff(spelling?) road wheels aavailable why bother with crappy customer service. Besides spokes are servicable in the backcountry

Bottom Line:
Poor customer service, not servicable

Bike Setup:   GT Lts-2 xt comps

Submitted by Francois Bercher a Weekend Warrior from La Tour-de-Peilz Switzerland

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    Cool looking, light, fast

Weaknesses:    stickers tend to quit after 3 years...

Bottom Line:
I rode these wheels since 1996, 80 % on paved roads, with more than 4'000 miles a year, without ANY problem. I weight close to 220 pounds, use my bike all along the year (with other tires in Winter, Switzerland having a tendancy to be snowy then...). Having logged in my computer every ride since 1991, I can say that I gained close to 10 % in average speed just by looking at the curves of my log-book, that show a step when I bought these wheels ! (by the way, my account showed just the opposite step, strange isn't it ?). For these reasons, I just bought a pair of Spinergy Spox M-2 for my other bike, the one I use offroad, and I'm already delighted with these !

Similar Products Used:   Mavic MA-40MB, Rigida, etc.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Titanium (vintage 1991 !), XTR, Ti Girvin Flextem, Specialized Turbo ATB Comp 1" slick tires, inflated to 8 bar (a lot of psi...)

Submitted by marcus Chanwai a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Strengths:    Cosmetics: and all the superficial reasons boys get sports illustrated
Practicallity: fast , strong ,durable for the first 2 years, pulls chicks

Weaknesses:    Lost the true in the rear wheel after 2 years of hard riding , no way of trueing it apart from buying a set of spins

Bottom Line:
Like great sex , it sometimes all has to come to an end.
Great while it lasted

Favorite Trail:   Te Miro

Similar Products Used:   All spokes

Bike Setup:   Scott endorphin, Sids 100, Shimano xt

Submitted by Fabian Marius a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    Not having to true them, exceptionally strong in the vertical plane.

Weaknesses:    Price ($$$$$!!!), braking surface, slightly out of true, slightly out of round, flexy in the lateral plane, freehub cassette wobbles in a worrying sort of way.

Bottom Line:
Wow.
After reading the previous reviews (which seem to lump mountain and road bikies together; doesn't that skew the ratings a bit?) I probably would have hesitated on buying them in the first place. But I have been blissfully riding the Rev-X road wheels for a little over a year now, none the wiser of all the apparent controversy.

I'm not a light rider (200 plus pounds), and these wheels have been on my bike from the first day I bought them. Just getting to my favorite roads entails some downtown city riding, and like a lot of places, it seems the roads here are bordering on trails for their smoothness. To this day I have not have any major problems with these wheels. I used to monitor them carefully only for delaminations (and after a major pothole smash, I was sure the rim was dented; BY GOSH THE WHEEL HELD), but after reading the previous reviews, I will be checking my pair out more thoroughly for some of the other concerns. Sometimes it's great to have so many reviews to look at, because I now have a better idea of what to expect.

THANKS, MTBR (Shameless plug).

My brake pads seem to like to chew out the rims under heavy or wet braking, and sometimes I have had to pick chunks of aluminum out of them. Such excessive wear probably can't be good, but these ARE road wheels, and heavy braking doesn't occur as frequently as off road. The freehub wobble doesn't seem to affect my shifting at all, but it does seem like quality control needs to be something that Spinergy should work on. With my weight, some lateral flex is expected, so as long as the rims are not touching the brake pads (or the frame stays and fork legs) I can live with that. The combination of a Titanium frame (with an aluminum fork) and these wheels does seem to dampen certain types of vibrations, and a recent purchase of Michelin Axial Pro clinchers really makes these wheels sing (or whatever carbon fibre does at speed).

Overall I think they are a very good ride. I wouldn't recommend them for someone on a tight budget, but ever so often you have to treat yourself, right? I always wanted something carbon fibre on my bike. So there you have it.

I like them (until they break, I guess?!).

Favorite Trail:   Outskirts of Ottawa, Gatineau Parkway