Spinergy SM-3 Wheelset

• Available in black, 26 in. standard 26" size

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Batavia

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    They look kinda cool. But they ain't.

Weaknesses:    Rear rim lasted THREE RIDES. On the third ride, I noticed the rear wheel rubbing on the brakes -- seriously out of true. Probably after about 20 miles of ILLINOIS riding -- no monster jumps or drops here, people. Pretty moderate stuff. I took it to a couple shops -- the first said the thing was junk -- untruable. The second shop took the challenge & beat on the thing for an hour, got it close, but not perfect. Needless to say many of the spokes had to be overtightened, and now naturally the nipples are stripping. I contacted customer service to see if this was a common thing, and see if I could get any help whatsoever, but like everyone else here, it seems, have hit the brick wall that is their help desk.

Bottom Line:
    Very very disappointing. Thought I was gonna be set with these things for a long time. Instead they're going to the curb.

Purchased At:   bike shop selling on eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M-535s, Tiogas, Mavics

Bike Setup:   Chuck CR-HT, Bomber Z5, ESP 9.0, Avid Arch Rivals, Race Face Prodigy crankset & BB

Submitted by Charles a Cross Country Rider from Bossier City LA USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight and appearance

Weaknesses:    Have not yet found any.

Bottom Line:
    This rim is light and unique. Spinergy seems to not follow manufacturing or design norms. They pioneer their own technology and it shows in their rims. They even came with a bag for each rim. Thought that was cool.

Favorite Trail:   Ruston

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR Raleigh, Psylo SL 80-125 Climb it control

Submitted by Charles Shirley a Weekend Warrior from Panama City, Panama

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Strengths:    Lighter then my stock set. Handles my weight without breaking a sweat. Knocked off 5 mins from my best time on the road with these and off road they are strong. Dropped the total weight of my MTB to 27lbs

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    I dont ride comps, I ride for health reasons and the joy of having a 43 year old sometimes leave behind the kids. I recommend these as an upgrade from stock not top of the line but a great improvement over what I was on. My stock rims had to be trued once a month, because I ride like a sack of potatoes doing bunny hops and small drops kept knocking the rear rim out of true, the rear was so out of true on one ride had to ride back 5 miles with only my front brakes to stop me, said this enough I need something that can handle a little more then stock rims went to my local dealer and these puppies were hanging on the wall- I did some research on the web and these would be perfect cost to performance ratio. They can handle my weight 200lbs, are strong and lightweight and they look good. Breaking is excellent, didnt feel any fading like my last rims. Do your research before you buy any product! More when I have a thousand miles on these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Campana Mountain Trail Panama

Purchased At:   Rali Sports Panama City Panama

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stock rims for 2000 Hardrock A1 FS

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the rims & Tioga clipless pedals and Shimano XT 750 9 speed cassette

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Strengths:    None. Spinergy has the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

Weaknesses:    Defective freewheel. Defective company.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these wheels online thinking I was getting a high quality wheelset. The first time I rode them I noticed a problem with the freehub body. When coasting the chain slacks off such that it wildly hits the chainstay. I could clearly see that there was some sort of friction in the freehub body preventing it from spinning freely. But I couldn't locate its source. Also, this doesn't happen when I change wheels. I called Spinergy customer service which was unbeliveable. After being transferred 3 or 4 times I finally got a person to pick up the phone. I explained the problem I was having and the rep offered a number of possibilities as the source of the problem. I listened to him and made the adjustments he suggested but the problem persisted. He told me he was going to send me a new Freehub body but he never did. I waited a week, then I decided to go to the authorized dealer in town. I dropped off the wheel and they said that they were going to send it to the factory and will call me back when they hear back from Spinergy. That was over a month ago. I went back to the bike shop but they were unable to contact any one at Spinergy. This company is unbelieveable! I am never going to buy another product from them again and I will make sure that none of the people I ride with make the same mistake as me. They make substandard parts and don't stand behind their products.
    The thing that really burns me up is that after I got off the phone with the Sinergy rep I was under the impression that he was going to send me a replacement freehub body. He took my name and address but he just must have tossed it into the trash after I hung up because I never heard from him again.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA