Spinergy Roks 98 Wheelset

2.9/5 (49 Reviews)

Spinergy Roks 98

Submitted by CCVIRAGO a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    I bought these wheels in 1998. In 11 years I have only broken one spoke nipple! I took it to my LBS and they gave me a similar nipple which I had to file down a bit to fit. Now its September 2009 and these wheels are as true as they day I bought them, and they have never been apart or serviced. I abused them quite a bit in the first few years I had them, doing a lot of jumps and drop offs. Now I take care of them because I know I could not replace them or get them serviced. It's a shame because these are beautiful wheels. Just the attention they get from everyone was worth the price. They are flashy :)

Weaknesses:    They were expensive!

Bottom Line:
I really don't understand the people who claim these wheels are problematic. I think they must have seriously abused their wheels to have had such problems with them. If you're doing six foot drops like this one guy wrote, then what do you expect? If you pay huge money for anything, you have to take care of it.

Favorite Trail:   Any hardpack

Purchased At:   Ridleys Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compared to this.

Bike Setup:   Giant CU92 hardtail, sid team fork, xtr v brakes, thompson seatpost/stem, Italia gel flight seat, xt hollowtech crankset, specialized team tires, original LX derailleurs

Submitted by Ed Ergun a Weekend Warrior from Belleriver, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Good Looking, long lasting.

Weaknesses:    Spare Parts

Bottom Line:
I love them, but have broken one threaded screw in one of the spokes. I would love to purchase a new spoke or just the screw and head. Anyone that could help please let me know. ed_ergun@yahoo.ca

Favorite Trail:   Pickney State Park

Purchased At:   Spinery On Line.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, Hard Tail.

Submitted by Wes Drake a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    Looks, Strength always straight.

Weaknesses:    Pricey, Is effected by heavy wind gusts.

Bottom Line:
These wheels helped me defeat hundreds of racers in CA, I was the only one who raced with them at the time, and to this day, 6 years later I ride with the same pair and they are strong and strait, exactly the way I bought them new in 1997. Over 6 years of racing I never had to touch them. How many wheels have you all went through in that time, I can't believe the negitive remarks on these wheels. Spinergy Rocks!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing is simular.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, Carbon Judy Rockshock FSX, Continental Tires

Submitted by Barry a Racer from MA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1999

Strengths:
Spinergy wil replace

Bottom Line:
anyone with problems with these disapointing wheels, you can go odwn to your local spinergy dealer, and they will be more than happy to trade them for a pair of spox. spinergy understands what they did wrong, and are willing to correct it with a much better wheelset

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by bob fekeete a Racer from Cincinnati OH

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Strengths:
nothing

Weaknesses:
everything

Bottom Line:
these wheels suck and a half, my friend and i where on our way to the trail(riding on road) and all of a sudden I heard a loud crack, and I looked back at my friend and saw him on the ground. it turns out the wheel calapsed, he needed raconstructive surgery on his jaw, and needed plastic surgery to cover up the scarring, dont, i beg you dont buy these wheels -200 flaming dead horses

Tsali, the knob

tested or demo'ed only

Mustangs/speed racers(awsome combo)

Ibis bow ti

Submitted by BOB a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
Heavy. (stability on descents), haven't needed to true them yet(I'm light), smooth ride.

Weaknesses:
Heavy. (sucks on climbs), brakes catch on welds, made in Mexico(!?!?!?)

Bottom Line:
If you're a lightweight like me (124 lbs.) these wheels kick ass, but I live in fear of ever breaking them.(knock on wood):)

city streets (Oklahoma sucks)

6 months

Ritchey Vantage Comp rims/Suntour hubs (lasted over 5 years)

Giant Cadex (carbon fiber), Amp fork

Submitted by TC a Weekend Warrior from Hawley, TX

Date Reviewed: April 9, 1999

Strengths:
looks, truability

Weaknesses:
frequent truing, heavy

Bottom Line:
OK, I fell for the cool looking composite wheel syndrome. They are good looking, and they have'nt blown up or broke---but you'd better be knowledgeable enough mechanically to true them freqently or pay someone for it. I've also come to the conclusion that it just does'nt make sense to spend $500 on a set of wheels this heavy--you still have to pedal the bike up hills. Stay with an XTR/517 Mavic 895 gram rear wheel, and someone else's 675-730 gram front wheel--like Cane Creek or Mavic. The XTR/Mavic combo is the best for the money out there. The 6-blade Spinergy is not a bad wheel, but I've learned my lesson.

Porcupine Rim, Moab

1 Year

no composites, just XTR/Mavics(bulletproof)

Trek Y-33, Specialized FSR

Submitted by Dr. Tim a Weekend Warrior from Oak Ridge, TN

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1999

Strengths:
Remain true, aerodynamic, look bitchin'

Weaknesses:
Broke when going 1/2 mph over rock

Bottom Line:
Spin blows...buy something else...money better spent. Suggest spoked wheels by any other name. In the market for a strong set of wheels...E-me.

Haw Ridge

1 Year

Spin

Pro-Flex 856, Gurvin Noleen

Submitted by Winston a Cross-Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Strengths:
Sleek and strong

Weaknesses:
Needs truing still, so just buy a regular wheelset

Bottom Line:
I owned these rims for a little over 2 months when I realized that the front rim was dished. It wasn't dramatic, but just enough to bother me. Of course I put on XT V-brakes at the same time, so I didn't realize they were off, since I set up the brakes for the wheels at the same time.I bought the tool to wrench on the wheels, and before I even came close to undisking the wheels, the damned truing bolt broke right off of the wheel. I took them back to the shop to have them repaired, and was told that they are no longer being made! I traded up for ceramic Spins and am much happier!

Tsali

3 months

Spins

Submitted by HOBOY a cross-country rider from asf

Date Reviewed: February 26, 1999

Bottom Line:

THis is the best set of wheels that i have ever used, NO problems what so ever, i reccomend everyone to buy these, these are sooo goood. These are so good, buy them everyone!

Submitted by Colin Esslemont a weekend warrior from Stonehaven, Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

SPINERGY WHEELS. We have been running a set of these on a hard tail for six months and after three had to replace the freehubbody. Found it hard to get spares even working in the bike trade. The wheel has finally given up with all the carbon splitting and the rim collapsed. One thing for them though no matter how many dings the rim got it stayed true. Tried to get a replacement for the wheel and Uk importer was not very helpfull. endedup being cheaper to buy the six spoke wheel rather than get a replacement as they have stopped making the wheels. So what happens when this one goes? I think i will try a pair of the new spoks on a full sus especially if they are disc compatable.

Submitted by Paul a weekend warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

Just the facts. Shortly after I purchased this wheelset (3-4 months) I had to replace the freehub body. Now 1 of the front spokes busted and a nipple snapped on the rear wheel. I also can not count the numerous times they have had to be tightened/trued. These wheels have cost me a small fortune in repairs alone. I had better luck with wheels that cost less than half of the price of these wheels. I am now in the process of calling Spinergy to see if they can help me in any way. I almost forgot to mention that the rear hub keeps losening up causing alot of play in the rear wheel after several times at the LBS to have that fixed too. Ill soon submit another review on Spinergy's customer service. I strongly believe you can save yourself a ton of headaches with a different wheelset.

Submitted by David a cross-country rider from England

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

Disappointing. Bought these because they looked cool in the first instance, seduced by the technical copy in the second. Initially they were good, a little heavy but so what, then DING, a bent rear rim. No problem send them back to the states for a new rim, a lot of money but hey,these are expensive wheels. I was a little put out when my dealer told me these were discontinued. Why? Have Spinergy contacted me to explain whats going on ? nope. My dealer has offered a refund against the damaged wheel but not the full wheelset. I now have a redundant front wheel and a bill for a new wheelset. What shall I choose? SPOX? No chance. Mavic Discmax gets the business

Submitted by Dylan a racer from Wausau, WI

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I am an employee at a bike shop so i did not have to pay very much for this wheel set. Even if i had to pay retail price i would have bought them. i think that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. i have not had one problem with them since i got them four months ago. In the winter i downhill down the ski hill in town. even with the cold temperatures they still performed well for me. i don't really know what all of you people are talking about, unless i am just lucky and got the only pair out of the hole bunch that are perfect.

Submitted by Your Moms name here a weekend warrior from North Dakota

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

These are the greatest wheels ever. I am going to buy mine today. They are the weakest piece of shits I have ever seen. My friend loves his so much that he does somthing all over them all night.