Spinergy Rev-X-Roks Wheelset

3.2/5 (20 Reviews)

Spinergy Rev-X-Roks X-tra Stiff MTB Front Wheel is the wheel that made Spinergy famous. It is composed four pre-stressed carbon spokes. Optimized for High Impact Stress, the carbon fiber is then bonded to an alloy braking rim surface. This design signific

Submitted by taa-daa a Cross Country Rider from ft.collins co

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    looks are killer

Weaknesses:    product support,heavier than spoked wheels

Bottom Line:
15 yrs & still good! The trails here not very forgiving & I wonder why there so many others with problems. I worked @ Trek as warranty coordinator when it a cool thing to admit, & I have seen my share of potatoe-chipped wheels, so spoked wheels have their share of limits to their strength also. 5 stars to their coolness factor.

Favorite Trail:   killpecker off deadman road-for real!

Purchased At:   dumpster@taa- daa sp

Similar Products Used:   spoked wheels

Bike Setup:   supergo frame, xt & lt parts, assorted farkled parts, answer manitou fork

Submitted by A T a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    Nice looks. That's about it!

Weaknesses:    Irrepairable. No spare parts available. Unresponsive customer service.

Bottom Line:
I've own these wheels a little over one year. Though they look great, they are WEAK and went out of true quickly. What a surprise to learn that you also need a "special" tool to adjust the nipples holding the blades (which also broke). To make things worse, Spinergy stopped production. I guess they figured that the wheels aren't worthy. So, I got stuck with expensive wheels without replacement parts. Customer service was not very symphatetic either. I've purchased my first and last Spinergy.

Favorite Trail:   So. Cal

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Anything but these brand.

Bike Setup:   Full XT

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Good looking. Pretty fast wheel.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel broken twice very easily
Spinergy customer services are pathetic.
The UK agent is called Jim Walker and he is absolutely hopeless. He would not return any correspondence.

Bottom Line:
Spinergy were dead useless. They tried to distance themselves from their one and only U.K agent - Jim Walker.
Spinergy wanted me to pay $300 to ship the wheel to them and insisted the damage was due to a crash, which it was certainly not.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M500 with Z2 front sus'

Submitted by sammo gaver a Racer from frederick md

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Strengths:    i dont know why some of these people here are saying theyre ridged if you compress your shock you can see the sausage slicers flex before you eyes. which is great for the extra shock response

Weaknesses:    weak product yes ive had my front wheel for yes six years but gave up on the rear after spending all my paychecks replacing it.

Bottom Line:
visually a piece of art functionally a piece of sh$te. the rear broke twice both replaced for $$$$ first after the first ride second a little longer. it makes a cool sound when it rolls it makes me feel faster. even though their heavier than most wheels now. dont try picking leaves out of your revs while on the trail. you may have no fingers to pull the brake levers. the front wheel has served me well the back get a cane creek

Favorite Trail:   to your moms house

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   wings that fall off on airplanes

Bike Setup:   ravin cdale

Submitted by Eric P a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse, NY

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Strengths:    Solid wheel, good looks, never goes out of true

Weaknesses:    Design is such that once it breaks at all, it's unrepairable

Bottom Line:
These wheels really do kick ass. As to all of you out there complaining about them, sorry. I've had mine since 1995. Almost 6 years now. I started working for Spinergy when I was 15. I moved a couple years later, but not after getting hooked up with a set. I can't speak for the company now, but they were a small, very chill, group of people back then. These wheels will hold up if you love em. I used to unpack all sorts of broken wheels back when I worked for them, but that happens with anything. If you put a Spinergy on it's side on the ground and jump on it by the spoke, the hub just pops right off, with a little ring of carbon fiber attached to it! Tinker Juarez and Libor Karas used to ride Spinergys. These wheels are bombproof, it's sad to see them discontinued. SPIN wheels were crap, but Spinergy's kicked ass. Their valve extenders are ridiculously priced @ 15.00. I used to put all the accessories in packages, X-beams, magnets, valex, x-wax, all that stuff. By the way, "X-wax" is Black Magic car care product rebottled for a 500% mark up. There, that's off my chest. THESE WHEELS KICK ASS, AND WHEN THEY BREAK, I'LL ACCEPT THE FACT, BE HAPPY, AND HANG THEM ON THE WALL. SPINERGY IS GOOOOD!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Trail, Moab, UT

Purchased At:   Spinergy

Bike Setup:   95 Iron Horse MT500r, XT, Seized-up Quadra 21

Submitted by michael shannon a Cross Country Rider from roswell,ga,usa

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    they look awesome,there strong, and i picked them up for omly 150 bucks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
there awesome wheels and i would reccomend them to anyone.
tip: if you want to make them look shiny and brand new juct clean off all the dirt an rub some stuff called zep 45 on them its a lubricant with teflon. you can probably find it at any car store like pep boys.

Favorite Trail:   mansell trails

Purchased At:   police officer

Similar Products Used:   zac 19

Submitted by Jack a Downhiller from Durham, NH

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome LOOKS, VERY Strong...all of you that broke them, don't deserve to have these babies - I race downhill, have had these wheels for 3 years, and not one problem, I have made huge jumps, hit major bumps, stumps, and rocks, and these wheels stay true longer than any other rim! Aerodynamics, and strength!

Weaknesses:    None, except the SPINERGY sticker peels off (I got new ones for 5 bucks)

Bottom Line:
Don't listen to the pu--ies that don't know anything about biking (i.e. "Weekend Warriors") that can't even ride a huffy without messing it up! These are the best rims that I have ever riden on, and I have tried them all!!!! IT'S MY JOB TO. Well worth the money!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Philbricks Sports

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Rolf Propel, Cane Creek, Bontrager.

Bike Setup:   Haro Escape 7.2 with Two wheel Disk at one time, had to switch to XTR V-brakes - no disk mount on Rev-X wheels. I think spox has them...anyway, spinergy offered me to swith With no fault return to get a pair, but I love the rev-x too much to trade them in!

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Lucerne

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    nice design, good reputation

Weaknesses:    heavy flexing, less stiff than even the cheapest conventional wheelsets, too heavy, wear out

Bottom Line:
too expensive & too flexy, the rear wheel broke at the hub/spoke connection... Spinergies are oky for cross country riders, but for all other purposes: forget it!!! better buy some strong Mavic rims

Favorite Trail:   Arnisee

Purchased At:   Velo Pro Cyclery, Santa Barbara

Similar Products Used:   various Mavic rims, Ritchey rims

Bike Setup:   Scott Endorphin Team Racing, Bomber Z1 BAM, XTR/XT, Race Face LP cranks, Kore B52, Flite

Submitted by Sean Ganser from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Nice Flex, SUPER light weight, perfectly true rim all the time.

Bottom Line:
These are amazing. I've had em forever. They always come through for me. Super strong, nice flex, super light weight. I've hit huge drop offs on these and they've survived. I also raced DH on em once and they were still going strong. What more can i say? You want a super rim? Here it is.

Favorite Trail:   None in particular

Purchased At:   Byron Lake Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown, set up for urban assault/ trials.

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    As a front wheel, stiff precise handling. Really communicates the terrain you're going over. Low maintainance.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Funky valve has made keeping goo-filled tubes inflated a pain; this has translated into a lot of pinch flats for me. And I just happen to really need goo because of all the thorns inthe areas I ride. I stayed away from purchasing this for the rear because of the additional stress.

Bottom Line:
I bought it on a whim during a trip to Moab and immediately liked the steering precision. In comparison ordinary spokes hit obstacles with a limp thud that feels sloppy. The Spinergy helped some of the deflection problems of my old Girvin fork, and at the same time enhanced the sense of steering precision the Girvin already had. I feel some of this same benefit on my Z-2. I generally am not concerned with weight, but this wheel feels like it weighs twice as much as a King-equipped wheel, and a lot of the weight is on the edges which means way-high rotational weight. Do I really suffer? No. But combined with the low tire pressures caused by goo-induced valve problems and hence pinch flats I'm ready for something new. It's not a bad wheel in the right applications, but I'm looking into getting a lighter, spoked wheel that somehow (if possible) manages to feel just as good in the handling department.

Favorite Trail:   desolation lake

Similar Products Used:   Spoked wheels with King and assorted Shimano hubs.

Bike Setup:   First was on girvin fork, now on Z-2 Atom

Submitted by Thorsten Lutz a Cross Country Rider from Frankfurt

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2000

Strengths:    Very stiff, best performance, best look i´ve ever seen

Weaknesses:    You can´t get any help when they get broken.

Bottom Line:
The wheel sets i´ve rode bevor where ultralight and for that very weak. So i tried to get these spinergy. Im happy as I could be, course these are the best wheels I´ve had in my life. For me as a Cross-Country Rider it´s very important to have light and also stiff wheels (I don´t want to be afraid of any stone in front of my bike). This is what the Spinergys are.

Favorite Trail:   Feldberg

Bike Setup:   G-Zero FX Pro, Answer Manitou Pro X, SID-Dual Air rear susp., XT komplette,

Submitted by Scott from CT

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Strengths:    Awesome looks, great aerodynamics, strong and lightweight

Weaknesses:    Laterally weak, but a set of X-Blades make these bombproof

Bottom Line:
These are good wheels. Get them cheap about now...No complaints here. Before putting these wheels down, learn to ride them. These fly. Good job Spinergy.

Similar Products Used:   SPIN wheels, Roks XE, Sun CR-18, Mavic X517, Crosslinks

Submitted by Ramon a Cross Country Rider from Garden State ... USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2000

Strengths:    3x strong compared to titanium laced wheels. 2x compared to stainless steel laced wheels. Thick rim profile & width makes this one of the stiffest wheels I've ridden. Haven't gone out-of-true, yet.

Weaknesses:    Don't ride in strond cross winds! Unless your really very very experienced rider. Valve extension rattles whenever I hop or ride over a pot hole. No fix. 1.5lbs heavier than conventional wheel-set.

Bottom Line:
I didn't buy it for off-road use knowing the fact that ALL carbon-based material degrades through time and prolonged exposure to sun light. I mainly ride it on-road regardless of surface condition (snow, rain, dust). I would NOT recommend it for off-road use as it was designed for. Though its very stable on a BMX track. No cracks after 1 year anniversary. 100% usage (I don't own a car). Stickers are peeling off. It's very responsive to aggressive acceleration. Stable on constant pedal pressure. Perfect for on-road training. see them on my bike at http://thepharmacology.tripod.com/theusualpharmacology.html

Favorite Trail:   CHimney rock