Specialized Stumpjumper Wheelset

2.86/5 (21 Reviews)

Specialized Stumpjumper Wheelset

Submitted by Deegs a All Mountain Rider from N Attleboro

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2012

Strengths:    Terrible wheel I’ve gone thru 2 front and rear wheels Specialized is aware of the issue but is reluctant to fix or replace the wheels. Which is a shame bike is great.

Weaknesses:    Quality, defective wheels spokes dont hold tension and welds snap on the seem. Front and back wheels are defective

Bottom Line:
Terrible wheelset

Favorite Trail:   Gilbert

Purchased At:   Landry

Similar Products Used:   Easton, Mavic 29er both blow S-Wheels away.

Bike Setup:   S- Comp Stumpjumper, X9, Avid5 avoid S wheels

Submitted by kevhogaz a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2011

Strengths:    They're black?

Weaknesses:    Don't hold tension, noisy, terrible build quality.

Bottom Line:
These wheels suck. For a set that came on a $2200 bike, you'd think they'd be a little better. The spokes don't hold tension, for more than a few miles.

The spokes also make a lot of noise, since they can't hold tension. They pop, and ting on every revolution. I haven't even really beat on these too much, and they're still junk. For a lightweight rider, who only rides XC trails, they'd be fine. However, the bike has 140mm of travel out of the box, and it's not marketed as an XC bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycle

Bike Setup:   '07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Submitted by Grant_FM a Racer from Alberta

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    They look great with the black rim, red nipples, and white decals... they are also light!

Weaknesses:    The wheels detention constantly! The spokes also easily break - on average I break a spoke every 100km. I've taken the wheels back to the original store and had them re-build the wheels but that didn’t seem to fix the problem.

The rims also seem to loose their shape "easily" - admittedly I ride hard on very technical trails, however, I've never had wheels crater as fast as these. I've had to replace both the front and back rims (both completely destroyed). I think someone else put it best when they said these wheels would be great for beginners or intermediates.

The hub bearings seem to be notorious for failing too. I've replaced the front and rear bearings twice each - the bearings really don't seem to like going anywhere near water!

Bottom Line:
These wheels are the weak link for what is an awsome bike. If you only ride on flat smooth trails or gravel roads then they may be a good fit. Otherwise, drop these wheels once they break...

Favorite Trail:   Moose Packers

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   2010 Stumpjumper Carbon w/ Specalized ties

Submitted by mountainbikeryk a Cross Country Rider from Yellowknife

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Strengths:    Very stiff, climbs like a raped ape, relativly lite, indestructable,

Weaknesses:    NOTHING

Bottom Line:
I have 10 of these frames, 3 built in different configurations. I like the model between 1996 and 1999. My main bike was 12 years old already and beat up when I got it. I use it for around the town, pulling kids, pulling heavy loads on trailers, doing trails traveling to work, traveling around town for work. These bikes are unbelievable. I don't know how Specialized can make so many of these frames and make them so good. The energy transfer is much better than steel, Ti or even regular Aluminum. Very stiff frames. I usual crash it around twice a year due to ice or wet. No problems. I don't think any bike maker making this volume can match Specialized at least made in the 1990's in the USA. I would give this bike 10 Chilis if it was allowed.

Similar Products Used:   Merlin, Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   various

Submitted by Leon Nasar a Racer from Potomac, MD USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is so fast and has awesome light wheels. The bike moves quickly to all commands

Bottom Line:
Awesome Bike

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Arly a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Strengths:    a true mountain bike! great for climbing and decending steep strails

Weaknesses:    not recommended for around town or typical bike paths! it's a back killer for long stretches of straight trails

Bottom Line:
if you are a true MOUNTAIN biker it doesn't get any better than this. if you are an flat trail or street rider forget it if you value your back.

Regarding some of the other reviews trashing the brand of components-ignore these as they are irrelevant to performance and durability. I have had top of the line European and Japanese components that failed unexpectedly and almost killed me. Most likely the reported wheel problems were due to improper checking, trueing and setup by the bike dealers

Favorite Trail:   any mountain away from urban cowboys

Purchased At:   wheelworks

Similar Products Used:   custom road bike

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from NN,VA USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2003

Strengths:    Long lasting, Came with XT rear hub. Light weight, long lasting, lateral lace in front.

Weaknesses:    Weld cam apart, in and out of LBS to have the trued.

Bottom Line:
Held up great for thier age, was not inpressed with the weld on the rear, like the XT rear hub and the front Specialized was great, had no problems with the lateral lace had tension problems in the back. Great for the beginner rider, and those who don't hit the trails often, but don't be surprised when the crap out on you after a little abuse, or hard riding. Though they withstood the test of time as far a general wear - bearings, braking surface, ect.

Purchased At:   Come with bike

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR 03' Psylo Race, metal matrix frame

Submitted by Manuel Ang a Cross Country Rider from Bothell, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    They look sweet! I also hear that Mavics are good rims!

Weaknesses:    Sounds like people don't like them!

Bottom Line:
Ah the glorious wheelset. Probably the best for XC on a bike, but I wouldn't know. What I do know is that they have that hot and on fire look that makes you go fast while standing still. Killer looks aside the front wheel is Mavic 517x raidally laced with some specialized hub and a burly QR. I realy like the front wheel, It is incredibly light with either the stock s-works tire (the excelent team control SL) or with my hutchingtons top slick. They are perfect XC tires or for some agro MTB, they are exceptional for road. I would not/do not use them for free riding or DH -- come on, know the limits/intentions of your product. I'm sure they could have made the wheel look and perform better with an XTR or similar quality hub. The rear wheel is a shimano hub( I think XT level) built on 517x. The rear wheel is good and has stood up to some serious pounding. It is pretty light for a rear wheel and I like it, I'm sure there are lighter wheels around, but for stock these are some of the best. Keep them true and they'll be true to you!

Favorite Trail:   Jury still out on this one.

Purchased At:   World's crappiest LBS - Greggs on Greenlake!

Similar Products Used:   I had a Rockhopper with Ritchey OCRs, and I tried a pair of Rhyno Lites

Bike Setup:   2k1 SJ Pro

Submitted by Tim Reed a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    They look like a good high end wheelset

Weaknesses:    Weak rims, noisy hubs

Bottom Line:
The wheels were slightly used when I got them, and at first while riding around the parking lot of my apartment, I thought they would be fine until I could get another pair. I'm kind of a large rider (220#'s), and it's obvious that these were not designed for heavier people. If I had done this to other rims over the past 5 years, I'd give them the benifit of the doubt; however, I've been riding both pair of Sun rims for some time and never had a problem. I only got 3 rides out of them before they were totaly trashed. The rear hub started making all kinds of noise, and this afternoon I tacoed the rear wheel. If I had paid big bucks for them, I would have been really dissapointed. Now I just got an excuse to buy a new set of wheels. These wheels are probably great for a 120# rider...but not for the Clydesdales.

Favorite Trail:   the ones around my house in GSO

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Been riding XT hubs with Sun Rino Lites, and XTR hubs on Sun CR 17's

Bike Setup:   Kelly full suspension, Sid XC, Risse Genisis rear shock, XTR cranks, XTR V Brakes, XTR FD, Sram 7.0 RD, Sram 9.0 Shifters, Avid 2.0 levers (awesome), King Head set, Thompson Seat Post, Kelly custom stem, and Stumpjumper wheels up until this afternoon.

Submitted by Bobert a Racer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    They look like a high performance wheelset.

Weaknesses:    Hub, rim & spokes.

Bottom Line:
When will specialized stop making this garbage? It is an embarassment to the rest of the cycling world. If you are thinking of buying their product think again. I only endorse their computers and saddles.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized bottom brackets, specialized cranks, specialized tires & specialized stems & handlebars.

Bike Setup:   Specialized bottom brackets, specialized cranks, specialized tires & specialized stems & handlebars.

Submitted by brandon talley from portland,or

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Work great. Don't know why they have such bad reviews. Only trued them once.

Weaknesses:    Ummm...

Bottom Line:
Happy with the wheelset. No problems.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Sun Sub IV- tought to get tires off this rim

Bike Setup:   01' stumpjumper fsr xc comp

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Tucson,AZ

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    If you don't ride hard take comfort in the fact that they look cool cause that is it.

Weaknesses:    weak rims, piss poor hubs

Bottom Line:
These damn wheels about ruined my road trip!!
had it not been for a really cool guy at a bike shop in college station, Texas who sold me a used front wheel for $30 I'd have been screwed. the front wheel taco'd for no damn reason.(it was a mild endo, and the spokes were tight).
then 4 days later the rear hub locked up and NOBODY carries parts for specialized hubs!!!!
IF YOUR STUMPJUMPER HAS THESE WHEELS DONT TRUST THEM!!!

Favorite Trail:   chiva falls

Purchased At:   Full Cycle

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt hubs, Bontrager rims

Bike Setup:   stock stumpjumper m2 comp

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Lincolnshire, IL

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    Light, Cheap

Weaknesses:    Bends EXTREMELY eaisily, Cheap

Bottom Line:
THESE WHEELS ARE CRAP! THEY BEND!!!!! I had full tire pressure and i went of a CURB and i have a huge bend, rendering them UNRIDABLE due to severe brake rub. DO NOT BUY THEM! THEY SUCK!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Morain

Purchased At:   Came on Stumpjumper Bike

Similar Products Used:   Sun Rhyno Lite, Mavic Crossmax UST Disc

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT Drivetrain, Manitou SX-R Fork, Specialized M4 Frame

Submitted by David a Racer from Dallas, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Strengths:    -nothing fancy wheel
-strong
-easy to true
-Mavic 517 rim.
-not too heavy

Weaknesses:    -not a fancy wheel
-not a good racing wheel
-not areodynamic

Bottom Line:
-great for training
-durable
-Mavic 517 rim
-descent if it comes with the bike but as a on the market wheel it aint that good. If you are looking for a good wheel with out dumping your wallet just get an XT or XTR hub with a maviv 517 rim (the hub is much better than specialized).

Favorite Trail:   Erwin Park