Specialized Roval Controle SL XC Disc Wheelset

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

• E5 alloy lightweight disc rim with eyelets
  • Front hub: carbon fiber center tube, oversized axle
  • Rear hub: CNC-machined alloy body
  • Front: 24 spoke DoubleDrive pattern
  • Rear: 28 spoke 3x pattern supports disc

Submitted by djbproductions a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight and look lovely

Weaknesses:    The skewers could be better as I find they dont close well and I have to keep retightening, something I never have to do with Hope or XTR skewers.

Bottom Line:
I love the wheelset and will try and purchase another shortly as they are the best set I have ever owned. They suit my riding style which is mainly cross country with few jumps, etc plus my regular 5 day a week commute to work which is 30km round trip. Mainly keep my Specialized Fast Track LK tyres on them and they roll fast to say the least.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 4.2d rims on 340 hubs, Mavic xc717 rims on XTR hubs

Bike Setup:   S-Works Hardtail Mountain Bike with a mix of Truvativ and XTR parts

Submitted by MagistR a Cross Country Rider from Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    Low weight, very good acceleration, pretty wheelset

Weaknesses:    Hard found parts, expensive=)

Bottom Line:
It`s review about Rovals 2008 model year (as a picture above).
After reading reviews on mtbr.com at buying wheelset, I`m immediately perchased front bearings on e-bay, but they really not useful for me, yet (I ride this season approx. 2000 - 3000 km). Front bearings haven`t any damage, noise etc. and works properly, but I`m not heavy (~ 70 kg).
Amazing acceleration & good rolling these wheels allowed increase my average speed (at the same road) approx. on 5 km/h.
I`ve only one weakness - hard to find parts, spokes for example. When I broke spoke on rear wheel (mechanical damage, not manufacturer reason), I`m looked for & wait spoke about month=(
Recommend to have second weelset or bike for enjoy riding!

Favorite Trail:   Leningrad Area & SPb

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717 + XT 765 hubs + DT Comp

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Comp, Look Fournales, Elixir CR Carbon, X.0, etc.

Submitted by milburn a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely Light Weight, Extremely Srong, Track Perfectly,Confidence Inspiring, Climbs All Day long, I weigh 195lbs,

Weaknesses:    Haters Envy Me. Sorry but at age 54 I just really wanted to treat myself to a stellar wheelset

Bottom Line:
Like the review I just read about the ENVE wheelset in MBAction "It feels like you are cheating" is the description for ths wheelset. I can climb stuff I never climbed before in High gears that I never rode in before. Love Love Love Love Love Love Love this wheelset. When I am not riding my bike all I think about is riding my bike on my Roval wheelset. My fiance is getting jealous of my Roval wheelset. If you can pull the money together then run don't walk and buy these wheels. No matter what level you are at, you will be propelled to the next level.

Favorite Trail:   Norh Park

Purchased At:   Pittsburgh Pro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Mavic SLR Disc, Spinergy

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC 29 er with 10 speed LX

Submitted by XC_Germany a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, very good acceleration, very light, reliable for far, not too rigid,

Weaknesses:    pricy

Bottom Line:
I did use it now for over 1000mls in off road conditions and it has shown so far excellent peformance and reliability (no malfunction, no noise, still turns smothly like at the first day). Impressive is the ability of acceleration on climbing. I'm not heavy (165lb) and I have not used it in heavy duty down hills. I guess this wheels are not made for this anyhow. It is an excellent XC and All Mountain wheelset for not to heavy enviroments.

Favorite Trail:   Swiss National Park Marathon

Purchased At:   Alpha Bike, Munich

Similar Products Used:   DT-Swiss XT1600

Bike Setup:   CUBE 125 AMS, XTR, FOX Thales + RP23

Submitted by 24hrsordie a Racer from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, spin up fast and tires seem to seal well to the rims (specialized, schwable rocket ron's and wtb.

Weaknesses:    spoke nipple are very difficult to turn when truing

Bottom Line:
For a wheelset that weighs less than my road wheels they do remarkably well. In my 200lb world they track well, climb without that "loaded spring" sensation and have no issue with the bearings. The rear hub accepts the new DT swiss 36pt SL engagment upgrade making the rear hub engage twice as fast.

These are treated as "race wheels" therefore I do not train on them, but after a 1,000 miles they are holding together very well and trued only once.

Purchased At:   Park Ave Bike