Specialized Control 29 Wheelset

Submitted by Jimmy the Hoff a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    Very stiff, light and durable, extremely smooth rolling, DT Swiss ratchet hub and spokes, 23mm inside width is sweet; freakin' fast.

Weaknesses:    The tubeless stems provided stink (or, I just couldn't figure them out) so, I used my Stan's stems and they sealed right away.

Bottom Line:
(This review is for the Control Trail 29) While researching wheelsets, I watched the Specialized video on the Roval wheelset and they were right - I noticed the difference right away. I didn't realize how much power transfer I was losing with my old set of wheels; these seriously enabled me to climb more efficiently and faster up my nemesis climb. With through axles - these wheels are very stiff in the turn and feel like they can really propel you through a corner. I really like how wide the Control Trail is (23mm inside) - not too wide, not too narrow for trail riding - and at 1800 grams - they are really light weight; makes my Hans Dampf's look and feel much better than my old wheelset. They also come with all of the different hub adapters - I am running 20mm TA front and 12x142 back.

Tubeless setup took me a little while; the stems provided are not top quality, I tried three times before I switched them out for my old Stan's stem and then they sealed first try. It also took three days to fully seal the tires - but, I credit that to using old tires.

Overall - I really love this wheelset; I trusted my LBS on their recommendation; I wanted solid, light weight, stiff, and durable tubeless wheels - I got more than that. I was leaning heavy toward the Mavic or Stan's again - the LBS showed me explained the Specialized / DT Swiss connection on the Roval wheelset - I would not have normally considered Specialized for wheel.

I am 215 lbs, 6' 2" trail rider - been riding since 1990.

For just under $700 - you will be hard pressed to find better quality wheels - trust me, I have tried several (what's that old saying?)

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jack's

Purchased At:   LBS - South Korea

Similar Products Used:   SunRingle Black Flag Expert, Stan's ArchEX

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP9, RockShox RCT3 (120mm), XT gruppo, 2x10 (26/40), Hans Dampf, KS Dropzone seatpost

Submitted by TiGeo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Strong. Stiff. Sets up tubeless in a snap.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These are an excellent set of wheels to replace stock-type wheels with. High quality build, they have only been out of true once b/c I didn't have enough air in my back tire and smacked a root hard...trued up easily.

Favorite Trail:   Scout Camp

Duration Product Used:   4 mos.

Purchased At:   Olde Towne Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Roval Traverse rims w/Specy HiLo hubs that came stock on the bike.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 HT

Submitted by zerokoo149

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light
Rigid
Good Price to Value

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Been running these wheels for a while now in a tubeless setup and they're still as true as the day I put them on. They come with DT Swiss internals and have not failed me yet.

No problems setting them up tubeless using Stan's sealant, and hold pressure well.

Overall, very happy with the wheels.