Shimano XT WH-MT75 Wheelset

3.38/5 (13 Reviews)

The disc-specific WH-MT75 Shimano XT 29R Centerlock wheelset is designed to work with Centerlock rotors. The wheels are tubeless compatible, and tires can also be mounted with tubes. Over locknut distance is 100mm in the front, 135mm in the rear. Both the front and rear wheels have labyrinth and contact seals protecting the angular contact bearings. The rear wheel is compatible with nine-speed cassettes, with a 11t minimum cog. The hollow axles are aluminum and come with aluminum-shafted quick release skewers. The hub shell is aluminum and anodized, and it utilizes the Centerlock rotor standard. 6 bolt rotors CAN be used, but require the use of an adaptor.

Submitted by Paul Smart a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Stay true direct pull wheelset, state-of-the-art spoke eyelet/rim arch wall design

Weaknesses:    Price, yesteryear UST era rim seal - Stan's no-tubes tech is best and lighter.

Bottom Line:
Unless you can get these for under $250, best spend your $450 on Stan's Arch EX with Stan's proprietary ' Hope' like uber-hubs. If your looking for no-service, bomb-proof black wheelset between $300 and $400 then stick to the tried-true and perfected post 2011 6th gen Mavic Crosstrail 29er's. They are way better/cheaper (Chain Reaction Cyclery). The MT-75's have all the attributes my co-reviewer say, however, the cone adjustment although neat and simple and one-sided, is cheaper, but still lighter than the Stans, Mavics or Hope gnarly hubs. Decide what kind of riding your going to do. I use my WH-MT55 and MT75's stricktly on my urban assault hybrid-MTB-city bike with a light (63mm travel) Suntour fork, after many months of commuting and hitting the same pot-holes, curb edges, no issues, no adjustments to date. However, know that Shimano warranty and customer service reps, parts availability and service beats 'hands-down' any of the other aformentioned brands (i.e. like Mavic service is totally non-existant! ..you may get a glimpse of them, in June, in France, riding a yellow motorcycle with non-other than wheelsets!

Favorite Trail:   Outer Rim - MOAB

Purchased At:   RockyMountainCyclery

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax, Crossride, Crosstrail, GP4's, Stans EX series, Surly Darryls, Fatback UMAs,

Bike Setup:   Trek, Schwinn, and Specialized Hardtails with Stans, Hope, and Mavic hubs. Avid, Shimano, Hayes hydra-brakesets. Alfine, XTR, Spot Brand, ethirteen, Surly MWOD drivetrains. Schwalbe, Continental, WTB tubeless tires.

Submitted by Matos

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2012

Strengths:    Wheels strong, rigid, lightweight and with excellent acceleration. After a year of heavy use on trails and competitions needed no maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little lighter. However, I understand that this may compromise the durability of the product.

Bottom Line:
I use these wheels on my niner emd9 utlizo on trails and rocks, single-tracks, dirt road and DH. I participate in competitions and xc marathons, I'm satisfied with the shimano mt75.esta wheel is soft, especially when I use 30-35 psi in the tire specialized renegade control.

Submitted by John Engström

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    Light and strong
Durable setup, they are perfectly true after heavy weekly abuse during one year
Despite the fairly narrow rims, they hold 2.2 inch tires really well at 30-65 psi
Very smooth rim suitable for tubeless tires, great with tubes too
The finish cleans up easily
I have not seen any wear on the bearings/cones
They roll better after one year with almost no friction (serviced three times)

Weaknesses:    The hubs are difficult to service. The first time was really tough, the third time however it felt just like any normal service work
The worst thing about servicing the hubs is how easily the seal bushings (rubber-coated metal) bend, and Shimano warns starkly about reusing bent seals. I ended up ordering a bag of these seals, fortunately they are cheap
The second worst thing is it's really delicate to lock the cones that close the bearings when service is done. It can take over 20 attempts to lock the cones in the correct position
I think these Deore XT hubs may easily get ruined if the bearings are serviced wrong
This type of spoke nuts are only available in not very durable aluminium (a cycle tech told me), though they have not needed any truing since I bought them
The freewheel mechanism allows only minimal cleaning and lubrication, and must be removed before this can be done

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheel set in June 2011 for my Surly Karate Monkey rigid 29er build
I paid about $500 for the wheel pair at cyclecomponents here in Sweden
I often thrash across unexpected rough rocks at high speed and have come to trust these wheels fully.
I'm really happy with the weight, performance and looks of these wheels, but it's the first time I buy a wheel set so I have no comparison

Submitted by JSquared

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Wheels stayed true until the end.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub disintigrated before one year of use which is pretty marginal. It is extremely difficult to mount and change tires.

Bottom Line:
Never again... I had high hopes.

Submitted by Don Ward a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Value, quality and durability

Weaknesses:    None that I hzve experienced

Bottom Line:
BUilt my bike with new parts found on Craigslist and internet retailers. Wanted as much SHimano XT as I could locate. I have been very pleased with this wheelset, it has remained true inspite of my size, 210 #'s and extremely rough and rocky trails that I normally ride. I've been riding since the beginning's of mtn biking, long enough to value equipment that provides a blend of performance and durability. Even at fullprice these wheelsare worth it. For what i got them for it was a steal.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Craigs LIST

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossmax

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan, w complete XT Drivetrain and brakeset

Submitted by palerider a Cross Country Rider from nm

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly light wheelset, shimano durability,

Weaknesses:    none as of yet

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased so far with the performance of this wheelset. Being a big overweight ex racer (#235) I have hammered my fat arse on some of the rockyist trails. The wheels have stayed true, roll fast, and are fairly stiff. After reading some of the comments on these wheels (and other mtb parts reveiws) I am convinced that some people could break a bowling ball in a sandbox!

Similar Products Used:   bontrager wheelset, king, ect.

Bike Setup:   salsa big mama, reba, 2.2 tires

Submitted by biosurgeon a Cross Country Rider from anchorage, ak

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    very light

Weaknesses:    The first wheelset had a material failure of the axle. It made for a very miserable ride. The second set once warrantied cannot stay true

Bottom Line:
If you are doing alot of riding on rough terrain and are a clydesdale, these will not hold up

Favorite Trail:   ressurection pass

Purchased At:   ray's cycles, califo

Similar Products Used:   this was my first 29er,getting another set of chris kings made by Bob the Wheelbuilder in St. George

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan

Submitted by weeboll a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    the tubless rims are good, no faffing around with conversion kits

Weaknesses:    the hub is appalling, pitting after one year and replacement axle under warrenty

Bottom Line:
these wheels started out great and really impressing me, the tubeless rims are brilliant with no burping or air loss. the hubs are the weakness however, shimanos new one side adjust cones are rubbish, the hubs are badly pitted after one year with regular servicing, mainly i suspect owning to the new cone adjust which is one side only and hard to get accurate

Similar Products Used:   hope hoops

Bike Setup:   titanium frame, carbon rigid forks, xt components

Submitted by greasy_physique a Cross Country Rider from Cornvegas, OR

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2010

Strengths:    Relatively light and stiff, quick setup, center-locks show no issues (except rotor compatibility). Setup with 3 different tires; 1 ust, two are not. Durable so far. No hub issues as mentioned above. Affordable if you find the sale. Has leaky tire issues for several rides, resulted in heavy impact with rocks due to low air pressure, luckily no dents, dings or scratches...impressed.

Weaknesses:    Center-lock? Jury may be out but no issues for me (Shimano HG61 12-36t, formula brakes). Pricey as listed. May opt for stiffer spokes if possible.

Bottom Line:
On sale, the price is well worth this wheelset. Good rolling wheels, easy to rig, stiff enough and tough enough so far (300+ miles of XC / DH riding; rocks, roots, sand, gravel, mud etc.). I am interested to see how the hubs and surface of rims hold up after another year, update then.

Purchased At:   chainlove

Similar Products Used:   First UST 29er rims

Bike Setup:   Mariachi, f29, formula oro's, x.7 1x9

Submitted by ndbike a Racer from Spain

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    pre-built, UST easy tubeless, quick engaging rear hub

Weaknesses:    maybe weight but they really aren't that heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels because they fit my budget and weren't too heavy. Also, I wanted a rear wheel for gears in case I get a new frame and what to run gears at some point. Actually, I looked at building wheels with Hope Pro II's, NoTubes Arch rims and DT Rev spokes but they would have been much more expensive and only minimally lighter.

The XT wheels have been a pleasant surprise in every way. Air up tires tubeless very easy. The quicker engaging rear hub is a noticeable plus. They seem to accelerate well and are plenty stiff for me. I've raced two mtb marathons on them and ridden some pretty rocky technical stuff too with no problems or complaints. I guess what it comes down to is Shimano rarely makes a bad product. At the price I paid, I'd recommend them. I never rate anything 5 of 5 so I give these a 4.

Favorite Trail:   sendero de guadiaro

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   ZTR 355/Hope Pro II, Bontrager Race

Bike Setup:   Zion 737ebb single speed

Submitted by whrdr a Cross Country Rider from West Hartford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Strengths:    Decent weight
Stiff enough for me
Good acceleration

Weaknesses:    Center lock hubs make for difficult brake changes or installing an adaptor

Bottom Line:
I rode these for the first time today. Although these are not stupid light, they weigh substantially less than my old set of wheels. The acceleration and impact on climbing was noticeable. I have not ridden much since August as I was training (and completed) for a marathon. I did not have any issues hanging with the guys with whom I rode this morning. The wheels were fairly stiff and handled small obstacles with ease. I have been a 29er convert for a few years now but I was able to more easily hop onto and over logs and rocks than ever before.

This would be a good race choice for someone looking for a solid performer. I plan on using these as overall riding wheels and in a few Xterra events next summer. I do not think I would be in over my head with these wheels as they are close enough in performance/weight to more expensive options, save carbon. There are lighter wheels on the market but Shimano products are present in every bike shop across the country. I will submit an additional review after more time on the wheels in the future.

Favorite Trail:   G'bury state forest

Purchased At:   web

Bike Setup:   GF Paragon frame (replacement for my Cobia)
Mix of Shimano, FSA parts
Bontrager Jones tires
Easton monkey CF riser bar

Submitted by bte01 a Cross Country Rider from OC

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    Looks Good

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is horrible. 3 complete failures in less than 1 year.

Bottom Line:
Do not spend your money on these, unless you want them in the shop every 3-4 months.

Favorite Trail:   Any Single Track

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Niner Air 9

Submitted by knottshore a Cross Country Rider from East Coast USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light, easy tubeless, durable finish, easy to service

Bottom Line:
I posted a picture of my bike a while back and was asked to relay some feedback on these wheels....

The truth is I was a bit skeptical when I pulled the trigger on what could either be a fair deal or a waste of money. Love them or hate them Shimano makes some pretty slick stuff most of the time but like any big company the crap slips out as well, in this case I am impressed.

I wanted a light mid priced wheel set (tubeless a plus) that could handle my not so svelte 210 pounds of guy and gear on a full rigid 29er. I ride east coast single track XC~Trail and don't hit any big drops (2ft would be pushing it..), but it is nasty rooty and rocky on some of the trails. I am not a super smooth rider but am aware of the costs of being a brute so I avoid useless abuse, this said I came from a 5+" travel Blur LT so I was accustomed to blasting through rather than around trail obstacles. I have been running them about a 2 months and have run them with and without tubes. When I changed them over to tubeless it was a breeze, I actually used my almost useless floor pump to air up the second wheel just to give it a try- no issue it inflated in no time with a WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 with stans goo. I run the front around 26-30 and rear 28-32 most of the time and have had some hard hits that I felt hit the rim with no issues (graceful I know). They have stayed true and I love the super easy to service hubs-

-Tubeless and air up super easy (at least with the Weirwolfs)
-Fairly light mine are like 1860gs with no skewers but with tubeless stems
-"crossmax type straight pull with nifty thread in nipples that don't penetrate the rim for stripless tubeless
-Price is reasonable for the weight- not cheap but, can be had for between $400-650
-durable finish- just enough bling with red alloy nips but not too flashy.
-Noticeable acceleration compared to past 29er wheels I have run-

There is my experience- installed on an El Mariachi full rigid with 2.55 Weirwolfs and a 210 pound rider on techy xc- no drops

If anyone else would like to add to this or share issues etc... please do

Favorite Trail:   THe one I am on

Purchased At:   The web

Similar Products Used:   DT, Bontr., Mavic...

Bike Setup:   Rigid Steel Mariach, 2.55 Weirwolf's, 1X9 Custom Build