Shimano WH M775 - M776 Wheelset

3.26/5 (19 Reviews)
Weight : 2050 grams MSRP : $217.49

• 24 balanced spoke pattern for increased lateral stiffness
  • 20mm Thru-axle front hub
  • Ultra thin wall extrusion reinforced at spoke hole
  • Center Lock rotor mounts to the hub quickly and effectively
  • Straight and 2-cross spoke lace for increased torsional rigidity and spoke life

Submitted by Joe Uberty a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, good looking, hold their true even when bashing through rock gardens

Weaknesses:    Finding the valve stem can be tricky if you need to replace one.

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly x-country trails in UT, but get into rocks often (think porcupine rim trail, Magnificent 7 trail, Amasa Back trail, etc in Utah and you'll get the picture). These wheels came on a 2008 Pivot Mach 4 that I purchased with the XT setup and they ride great and hold their true. I've ruined lesser wheels on the same trails. They are not as smooth as some non-disc XTR/Mavic 717 that I have on another bike, but meet my needs between lightweight, low rolling resistance, price, and ability to take the occasional abuse. I would not recommend these wheels on a downhill bike - but then again, they are not intended for jumping off of 4 ft. drops. I weigh about 180 and ride very aggressively. I would buy these again in a nano second. I ride a between 1,000 and 1,500 miles per year and have yet to service these wheels which have > 3K miles on them. I ride tubeless with about 28 lbs pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Mag 7 in Moab, or whatever I'm riding

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 717 with Shimano XTR hubs

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 4 with XT and a few additional tweaks.

Submitted by VTSession a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Great compromise between light and strong, stiff, top notch build quality, works well with center lock/6 bolt Shimano adapters, UST works perfectly even with non-UST tires, got a great deal on the set.

Weaknesses:    I wish it had a 10 mm rear axle instead of the QR, center lock requires adapters for 6 bolt rotors.

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels hoping to get a strong "all mountain" wheel set but still be able to save some weight on the bike. So far these wheels have been great, they feel solid and stiff while riding them hard and at about 2000 grams a pair they roll fast too. I set them up with tubeless Nevegals and it's the perfect set up for me. I just hope they hold up for a few seasons.

Purchased At:   Interwebs

Similar Products Used:   Transition Revolution 32s, WTB Laserdisc Trail, WTB Speedisc

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Butcher: Fox RC2 Talas fork, Fox RP23 rear shock, Thomson 80 mm stem, Race Face Atlas FR 780 mm bar, Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, SRAM X9 1 x 10 speed drivetrain, Shimano SLX 32 tooth crankset, MRP G2 chainguide, Shimano XT wheelset, Kenda Nevegal 2.35 in tires, Time ATAC pedals, Thomson seatpost, Fizik Nisene saddle

Submitted by xserret a Cross Country Rider from Brussels, BE

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Great stiffness hold tubeless-ready tires very well at low pressures.

Weaknesses:    Spoke tightening counter-intuitive, should be delivered with two spoke keys.

Bottom Line:
Work great even After + 1000 KM in very nasty muddy conditions and heat with my 96 kg, but no real downhill drops. Back wheel went out of true fairly quickly, but this is the usual with all the wheels I ever tried due to my weight.
Love center lock.
Very good price/quality as I bought them.

Favorite Trail:   FdS

Purchased At:   Barracuda

Similar Products Used:   Some Mavic rims + XT hubs circa 92, many other MB wheels before that.

Bike Setup:   Home-built Kraftstoff X2 (Full suspension XC). +96 Kg rider

Submitted by RalphvHyde a Cross Country Rider from Maintal , Frankfurt ,Germany

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly Light , looks good , UST .

Weaknesses:    Axel , cone bearing adjustment is suprising hard on the rear , after racing on my hardtail over blocked trails I notice the bearing slops radially, the hub itself is knocked out not the cone, Also the freewheel has failed after 3000km.

Bottom Line:
If you cruise around forest trails and dont go like hell down hills then you will be happy with these , if you are a serious cross country marathon rider don't take them unless you are prepared to throw them away each season.

Spares are expensive and here in Germany the hub is not available. If you are down hill or freerider steer away from these , they are not for you.

Favorite Trail:   2010 Transalp

Purchased At:   Paul Lange

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossride , cheaper , use industrial bearing , not adjustable , are slightly heavier but do have aero spokes. so uphill slower downhill faster and safer And appear after 2000 km to be stiffer and sturdier.

Bike Setup:   I use a hardtail , maybe people using rear suspension will not damage the bearing like I do on blocked trails with only the front wheel under proper control.

Submitted by Southern Boy a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, stiffness.

Weaknesses:    Freehub - Do not buy!!!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these wheels. MH775 rear hubs / freehub is garbage. Went through 2 freehubs in a years time. Freehub body has internal issues. Pawls lock up and/or do not engage. Spent time and money replacing 1st freehub body, only to have it fail the same exact way within 6 months.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, other shimano xt hubs.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT

Submitted by SantaCruzNomad a Weekend Warrior from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    Sealed already for tubeless

Weaknesses:    Spokes, hubs, etc.

Bottom Line:
After a little over 2 years and moderate riding I'm on my 3rd free hub internals. 2nd failure I almost wrecked in a rock garder at about 20-25mph because rear wheel internals fail and lock up. Dangerous wheels unless you only ride XC. But then they're heavey and expensive for XC. 60 each time for new internals. LBS said these fail alot and recommended hope or kings. YAY spent 600 and now I have to spend another 800 for custom wheels!!!

If you want good wheels that wont fail every 6-9 mo. get a custom built wheel. I will be fighting this recent charge with Shimano.

Do Not Buy These!!!

Favorite Trail:   Rock It, Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   Bike Co

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   nomad 08, xt group

Submitted by Daniel Gibson a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks soooo cool.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub WTF?

Bottom Line:
Bought these wheels 1 yr ago and they have been awesome. Then after a ride last weekend I noticed something was wrong. The axle cones and bearings are toast. I looked at my receipt and of course it's just over 1 yr. Now I have used XT hubs since I started riding back in 91 and have never had a hub die on me like that. Then I read the reviews here and obviously something is wrong with these hubs. Now I have to wait and see what/if Shimano is going to do about it. All this right before a trip. Not cool.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Various rims laced to XT hubs.

Bike Setup:   Trek EX 8, Fox fork, XT everything, Easton carbon bars/seatpost, WTB Rocket V. Stealth bomber baby!

Submitted by Mountain_Rocker a Downhiller from Pasig

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, light for AM, hubs are stealth no noise which i prefer corners tight, really good looking!

Bottom Line:
BANG FOR THE BUCK! get it!

Favorite Trail:   La Mesa

Similar Products Used:   WTB speed disc All-Mountain but performance is uncomparable its way better

Bike Setup:   used in Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC then temporarily in my Titus FTM set at 140mm

Submitted by jsoates a Weekend Warrior from Nelson B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight,no maintenance required, strong wheels.

Weaknesses:    hard to figure out spoke tightening sequence.

Bottom Line:
Excellent wheelset, two years of hard riding, lot's of crashing and I only had to true the wheels once. I would definetly would buy again when building another bike.

Favorite Trail:   the wimp

Purchased At:   Sacred ride, nelson

Similar Products Used:   mavics of all sizes

Bike Setup:   Knolly Delerium T,Marzocchi suspension, Shimano XT.

Submitted by Robin_Hood a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2009

Strengths:    Good quality rim, paint, and hub seals (only).

Weaknesses:    Freehub, Front Hub, Front Brake Center Lock, Nipples seem soft. Red anodize does not go with every bike.

Bottom Line:
Hubs are not worth the money. Suggest buying a 28mm cone wrench for the front hub adjustments. Center Lock is good on my Saint wheels, but the same quality was missed with my XT wheels. Front rotor has some play in it, but it does not affect braking. Free hub broke in less than a year, and was replaced under warranty. Shimano needs step it up in their wheel bearing and freehub manufacturing. They are using old technology, and are getting passed by the competition in the terms of innovation and quality. I love the Shimano rims; they seem to have a good quality feel and strength. These rims are some of the best hoops out there and are what I aspect from a large corporation. I would consider using a different brand of hubs with rims. If Shimano put the same time and engineering into the hubs as they did the rims these wheels would be unmatched at the current price. 4 "Chili’s" given for the "Overall Rating" because the wheels are great when working at 100%, and the quality of the rims. 1 "Chili" for the "Value Rating" because I have seen lesser wheels have less problems. These wheels are marketed for “All Mountain” use, and they should go the distance. Bottom line is I will not buy another Shimano hub until they reinvent the wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Sol Vista

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 340's, Shimano Saint, Mavic

Bike Setup:   32 lbs./160mm/"do it all" Sled

Submitted by mr.E.D. a Weekend Warrior from Quebec,Ste-Poly by the beach

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    quick and stiff and light like all similar products(of same category)

Weaknesses:    free hub,but have u ever seen a free hub not fail?since I work in a shop,I've seen all types of wheel sets.Originaly I wanted Mavics but didn't want to service them often.(know them too well).And shimano products are available easily.Just order spokes and a freehub in advance because you will need these parts eventually.like any other wheelset.By the way shimano parts are cheaper(less Expensive)than mavic and all the rest.I'm on my second freehub and shimano have warrantied them cause they have the best warranty on the market.

Bottom Line:
Allways have a second set off wheels if youre gonna ride a set of racing wheel for everyday riding.Guess some peoples aren't as lucky or it's always the same one's who have issues. LOL

Favorite Trail:   Rigaud

Purchased At:   Le Suroit

Similar Products Used:   mavic,easton,dt swiss,Chris King. Wich are all more expensive

Submitted by juice a Downhiller from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    This review is for the Enduro M776 wheelset. 21mm internal rim width and 20mm front axle.

Light, strong, the right width rim for hard riding, great bearings.

Weaknesses:    I have had zero problems.

Bottom Line:
I have the WH-M776: wider rim and 20mm front axle compared to the 775. I really like this wheelset, I'd buy it again.

I wanted tubeless and at least a 21mm internal rim width. I got rid of my old Mavic ex823 rims because they were just too heavy for trail riding. There just aren't many options out there in this category. Mavix CrossMax are supposed to be good, but they're way too expensive. These Shimano's fit the bill, and the hubs are easily rebuildable. I came from King Hubs, and if you ride aggressive, Kings just take too much maintenance (and are a ripoff).

I also think these wheels roll fairly light. Good bearings, and the straight-pull steel spokes don't have 75 grams of extra nipples at the rim like Mavix 729 or 823 rims. Keep the weight at the hubs and your bike will accelerate faster.

The engagement is plenty fast for me on these newer Shimano hubs (36 pt, I think). I came from King hubs, which I hated. Noisy and they required constant maintenance. Also, you can rebuild the Shimano's without expensive tools - you just need a 14mm allen key, which isn't expensive. The seals on these new hubs are much better than old Shimano, even riding all winter in wet Seattle.

I've heard issues with the freehub, but I think Shimano fixed the issues. I haven't had a problem with them. I also know Shimano is really good on warranty, at least here locally.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   Mavic EX823 rims (strong, but DH heavy) on King Hubs, lots of other mid-range wheels.

Bike Setup:   This is for my xc/trail/all mountain bike. Transition TransAm (killer bike). I ride hard and break stuff a lot.

Submitted by demrgo a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    light and strong for all mountain riding
UST
Value for money

Weaknesses:    freehub

Bottom Line:
The common problem.The freehub collapsed after 3 months. Shimano fix it free since then no problems And now after about 11 months the front whell has a little move but the mechanic at the bike shop fix it in 5 minutes
I think generly that are good all mountain wheels. OK is very bad for a 450euro shimano whellset have that problem but if i forget that everything are great

Favorite Trail:   drosochori