Shimano WH-M535 Wheelset

4.11/5 (36 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

• Excellent value-priced all around riding wheel
  • Stronger, more durable and serviceable than other wheels in its price point
  • Radial "Lateral Crossover" Spoke lacing on front wheel and non-drive side, rear wheel 1X on drive side
  • Oval 13-14-13 gauge stainless steel spokes
  • Machined braking surface
  • Quality hub internals featuring, low friction Labyrinth & Contact sealing
  • Durable, dependable Shimano Freehub body

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mary

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    Look Cool, and no problems, but I am lighter weight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Mine originally came with Vittoria Action tires. I need to replace and bike shop is having trouble finding a tire that fits.........meaning a tire that any reasonable person can get off and change their tube in needed. Please let me know if anyone out there has some experience with this.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Tilburg, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    They remain true no matter how much you make them suffer.

Weaknesses:    An occasional strange, sharp noise, maybe from the spokes setting

Bottom Line:
    I bought these 535's thru the internet. They look nice but weak, but I changed my mind after my first ride: they still look great, but these rims are strong! Although I prefer to ride with a hard tail and fork, it took me a mile to get used to the very direct feel due to the rigid design. Thanks to these rigid rims, I managed to take some 5% off of my usual lap time. I'm very glad I bought them, but they have one little draw back: every now and again (once every 10 miles or so) they produce a mysterious sharp noise, without a noticeable cause. Each time I checked, but after every 'clonk' they turned out to be as true as new. Value rating 5 chilis as I paid very little for the set, overall rating 4 for unpredictable mystery clonks. If you ever come across a set, buy it just for the kick of the direct feel.

Favorite Trail:   Drunense Duinen

Similar Products Used:   they replaced old Mavics

Bike Setup:   Koga frame, Avid 5, STX RC derailers and cranks, homemade seatpost, Selle Italia Trans Am, hard tail and fork.

Submitted by vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv from vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Submitted by Gator Cook a Racer from Nashville,Tn

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very Strong, Very Fast and LOOKS AWESOME...

Weaknesses:    DONT BE FAT AND RACE THESE RIMS...LOL

Bottom Line:
    If I Had To Bye The Rims Over Again I Would In A Heart Beat.If You Are Over 200pnds,I Would Really Watch it..They Only Have 12 Spokes..
    Pe@ce...

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   ONLINE Store

Bike Setup:   Marin Pine Mt.Race Edt.,XTR group,carbon seat post,handels bars,Sella seat, disc brakes,Chris King head set,Rock Shok Race Forks.Hutchins Gold tires...

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Bomb Proof and they look so sweet!

Weaknesses:    Expensive spokes $5/spoke. The big gaps between the spokes allow sticks to get caught in them which can cause major damage.

Bottom Line:
    I am big at 215 lbs and they stay true in the major rock gardens of Central PA. They look sweet. I blew up my entre rear drive train when a stick got caught in them. Spokes are $5 a piece! For a bigger rider where weight isn't an issue I recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Rothrock

Purchased At:   A friend used

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517 XT hubs

Bike Setup:   Litespeed

Submitted by Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    Bomb proof, Fast, looks

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    I ride a lot and give these rims hell but nothing seems to be able to phase them. My ZR9000 Fisher frame cracked in half and these frames are still tru as the day I bought them. They also fly and have needed little sevice. Don't judge them to be bad because they are so flashy as I almost did. these rims are 100% Bliss.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Ziggurat Shimano XT M580 built up myself

Submitted by F Copeland a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Weaknesses:    The braking surfaces continually shed small aluminum shavings that become embedded in the brake pads. This causes an awful grinding noise. I have to pick the shavings out of the brake pads with a sharp instrument and sand the enire brake surface every 30 days or so.

Bottom Line:
    I can't recommend these wheels to anyone. I'm primarily a cross country rider putting on only about 50 miles of light duty per week.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine Lake

Purchased At:   Airborne

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike Titanium. Shimano XT V brakes.

Submitted by Hermi a Racer from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    Durabillity, cheap

Weaknesses:    None that I know of (maybe somewhat heavy)

Bottom Line:
    'My weight is 85 kg, so my wheels have to be strong. These are. Worth every penny. I never had a problem although I really do some rough tracks. They never did let me down. Great wheels, I would recommend them to every-one. On the road I wouldn't recommend shimano wheels (bad experience), but ofroad they made great wheels: WH 535 (disk)

Similar Products Used:   Fir, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Full suspension Red Bull, Shimano XT, Magura Louise diskbreaks

Submitted by Ty a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    Rolls fast
    Solid
    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    Aside from the tube valve twanging against the rim (which I could fix with but am too lazy), it's all good.

Bottom Line:
    I love these wheels!

I was originally going to buy some Sun Ringle R.P.M.s but came across these wheels at a fall bike show and they were dirt cheap. People say they are a little on the heavy side, considering I weight 205lbs, I really should worry about stripping a few pounds off me before I should worry about the wheels on my bike.

Bottom line is, I have raced almost 2 full seasons on these wheels and I haven't had to true them yet. Maybe I'm lucky? I sure have hit my share of trees, rocks, roots and the occasional racer.

Buy them, I'm glad I did :)

Favorite Trail:   The Don

Purchased At:   Fall Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS3, XTR, Raceface, and a Duke 100mm SL

Submitted by rhysie haydon a Racer from Gig Harbor Washington

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    looks really cool and they stay in true always

Weaknesses:    they flex so much hen you go into a turn that they will start to skip and mess with steering

Bottom Line:
    they look awsome and stay in tune. but i cant stand the flex im not that aggressive in turns but they flex aton and im gonna take them off. I do not recomend them unless you ride mostly in the city or are not a racer then go ahead you won't notice. I'll even sell you mine.

Favorite Trail:   tiger Mtn

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   xt hubs laced to 519's

Bike Setup:   rocky mountain vertex mostly XT

Submitted by Cameron Laird a Weekend Warrior from Brampton, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Look so damn cool, Fast, kinda cheap compared to others in this style/category, did I mention look cool

Weaknesses:    none so far except for the 12.00 valve extenders I had to buy

Bottom Line:
    I love these rims, they are fast and cool and strong as hell. They made some funny noises the first time out but after 5k that seemed to disappear. They do come out of true after about 75K but if your LBS is worth their weight they'll re true them for nothing. Anyone on a budget who wants to upgrade rims from stock ones will be very happy.

Favorite Trail:   Ravenshoe

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Alexi rims that came on my bike

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized HR-Comp, XT rear derailleur, LX front D and sweet ass Shimano rims.

Submitted by mike tucjer a Cross Country Rider from wooster, ohio

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    light and stiff. they also are great for acceleration and look cool too ( but who realy cares about that anyways?)

Weaknesses:    non so far

Bottom Line:
    good for someone who does atleast 60 mles a week (thats me)Have loved them since I have got them.

Favorite Trail:   vultures knob