Shimano LX Wheelset

Shimano LX black/silver M570 hubs built on silver 32 hole Sun Rhyno Lite rims. The Sun Rhyno Lite Rims are laced up with 14 guage spokes and brass nipples. The Shimano LX Wheelset includes skewers.

Submitted by tobyson21 a Cross Country Rider from Sudbury MA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    not bad weight wise

Weaknesses:    Centerlock hub = expensive rotor choices, cones loosen constantly, broke bearings in 1.5 years of moderate riding. I am 165 lbs equipped for riding.

Bottom Line:
These wheels came on my GT Force, I swapped them to my XC bike after a few rides cause I was going to wreck them on the GT.

Now they are on my XC bike, mostly I ride the GT Force and do "all mountain" style riding. I've ridden this bike/wheels for mostly XC stuff with my wife. The cones come loose constantly. The bearings are shot after about 1.5 years of moderate riding. I had to bail on a ride midway cause these wheels loosened up so badly that I had ghost shifting issues and had about a 1/2 inch wobble out back!

I'm going to rebuild these wheels and use them as beater duty. For people that have limited amounts of free time to ride, these wheels are horrible. I don't have time to break out my cone wrenches and tighten these things every ride, so they are getting ditched. At least when my kings loosen it only takes a few minutes to get them back in line.

I'd rather take the weight penalty of riding something like Azonic outlaws for XC as long as they don't break on me!

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   JRA

Similar Products Used:   King hubs, some mavics. Going to try Azonics.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike, built up fairly light for faster easier rides with the wifey.