Shimano Deore XT WH-M785 Wheelset

Shimano Deore XT M751 Hubs with Bontrager Mustang Tubeless welded rims. Black Rims, Machined sidewalls (Extra tall 13mm walls for easy brake setup). 3 cavity cross section design. Double butted Stainless Steel Wheelsmith spokes.

Submitted by Jules Evans a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2012

Strengths:    Light, full tubeless, straight pull spokes. Tough rim and spoke design.

Weaknesses:    Front hub on 15mm is very poorly designed. There is no dust seal on the right hand side and my wheel was too tight from the factory. Result: pitted cones within 6 months with some wet rides.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are light and fast rolling when new. Because of the cheap design of the front hub mine is fatally damaged after less than a year as there is no dust seal on right hand side. proper servicing is impossible as you can't get the bb race out to clean. Once dirt gets in, which isn't long as only a bit of grease is holding it back, if you don't clean as best you can immediately that is it.

I had a set of the 775 wheels before these and their seals were excellent. I was dismayed to find that shimano have changed the design of the hub to save a couple of dollars but this has turned this wheelset into a cheap and nasty one. IT has turned the XT name to mud!

Favorite Trail:   Mt Wello

Duration Product Used:   less than 1 year

Similar Products Used:   M 775, QR
Alex rims
Bontrager race

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel, tweaked.

Submitted by raducanmihai

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2012

Strengths:    true tubeless,price

Weaknesses:    looks,you are stuck with the axle you bought the wheels for,sealed cassette : you can't reach the pawls

Bottom Line:
I bought them in the winter as an upgrade and for the price I got them from an online store(240 euro+shipping) I think I had the best deal for the money. The weight is exactly as advertised (1625 gr for the pair,without skewers). The cassette is steel,so you can use non-spider sprockets,without them digging into it. I don't hate the looks but I like better the design of the M775 ,with the red nipples and the lines on the rims.
I weigh 80 kg/176 lbs,and I don't notice any flex (I have QR version,front and rear). The cup and cone system is idiot proof but the cassette is sealed,so you can't reach (easily) inside. I did open and clean a 775 XT cassette once and it's a pain in the butt. So if your cassette needs attention your best bet is to buy a new one.