Rolf Prima VECTOR PRO WHEELS Wheelset

4.16/5 (25 Reviews)

ROLF VECTOR PRO WHEELS

Submitted by Tim McMillan a Weekend Warrior from Humble TX

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    The ride is good and they are really strong

Weaknesses:    the cassette is noisy

Bottom Line:
I'm 5'8" and weigh 225. The wheels stayed true even after a couple of crashes. They look good too.

Favorite Trail:   rode riding

Bike Setup:   Trek carbon 5500 dura ace

Submitted by John Maree a Racer from Zeist the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    Light strong look good

Weaknesses:    Bearing in front wheel

Bottom Line:
Good value for money, still modern and light. Hard to find parts like the front wheel bearings.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Bike Setup:   Trek durace

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Allentown

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive, quiet (except for cassette mechanism), sexy

Weaknesses:    noisy casette, difficult to lube, requires special tools - not possible to repair well in the field.

Bottom Line:
Good hi po wheelset. I don't like having to take my wheels to a Rolf certified mechanic just to do basic maintenence tho. Couldn't even lube the cassette to shut it up. I would limit use to crits and TT's, just because having a mechanical prob with these baby's means you're walkin home...or at least spending some serious time on the side of the road. I would NEVER pay full price on these babys

Purchased At:   (Club special)

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager RaceX, Rolf Vector Comp

Bike Setup:   Klein QPro, Duraace

Submitted by Daniel from Matthews, NC , USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2005

Strengths:    Very Strong stayed true

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I just got these wheels of ebay to hold me over until next year when I will get a bike from my team with the new Rolf Vigors.

THese wheels are excellent if you can find them at a good price.

Favorite Trail:   I am a roadie

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   BOntrager Select wheels
Mavic CXP-22 Wheels

Bike Setup:   Trek 1500 Stock

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from swampscott, ma.

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Strengths:    good looks, stiff, excellent acceleration

Weaknesses:    after 6 weeks I bent the quick release handle on the front skewer. I was told by the company they needed to beef-up the clamp. Replaced it free. The next thing to go was the rear rim. I must have gone over a pothole but if I did it wasn't very deep as I never felt it. I had these wheels for about 300 miles. I called the company and they refused to warranty it. The rim developed a bubble in the braking surface. They said it was impact damage. I've had light wheels before and never had this kind of problem. It cost me another $280 to have it rebuilt. This time they offered me a Prima-RS which is a beefed-up rim that they should have built it with the first time.

Bottom Line:
too much money for a flimsy wheel with no warranty. Only racers who get their stuff free should use them.

Purchased At:   tour de france

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Helium, Campy Nucleons

Bike Setup:   Moots Vamoots SL

Submitted by dave a Racer from birmingham

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    lightish, strong, roll fast

Weaknesses:    dont spin up as well as some other wheels and spares can be a problem

Bottom Line:
these wheels are good and for a wheel set thats light enough to train on and race on you cant go far wrong with these. ive riden on them for 4 years and about 15000 miles and replaced the back rim once after i crashed and distroyed it. the spokes in the back wheel hav started to twist and creak showing they are loosening but thats understandable for a wheel thats had the life these have. there pretty strong and i have never needed to true them. hubs are still smooth and there much better than the vector comps which simply colapsed the 1st time i put a proper sprint through them. next year i will be retiring these for a set of zipp 440 but i think there a faultless wheel and i wouldnt hesitate to buy these wheels again, they could just do with going on a diet.

Favorite Trail:   anything, mainly road

Purchased At:   great britian national squad

Similar Products Used:   spinergy x aero, spinergy rev x, rolf vector comps, many built up wheels

Bike Setup:   mercury titanium, durace group, itm milenium finishing, vector pros

Submitted by Joe Musselwhite a Racer from Kemp, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    Looks Great. Haven't gotten to ride yet.

Weaknesses:    Don't know of any. I keep hearing about spoke nipples coming loose, this bothers me. I hope I don't have this problem.

Bottom Line:
I would like to hear from others who have had the nipples come loose and how they solved this problem and how exspensive was it to correct. This bike really looks SWEET!

I can't wait to ride this machine. I'm retiring my Centurion Le Mans 12 speed and keeping it as my training bike.

Favorite Trail:   White Rock Lake

Purchased At:   Bicycle Exchange (Garland)

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 5200 OCLV Carbon Racer, Full Shimano Ultegra groupo, Vector Comp Wheels,

Submitted by David Jarm a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand .

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light , very light and stiff . Good response and handling on both climbs and descents . Good looks too by the way ! I GET them too ...

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey . And the spoke tool for these wheels aren't cheap either ! $50 !?!

Bottom Line:
Only used these babies for a short time but they seem to be the ones for me . Much better feel than the Mavic Opens I had before . Great feel on the climbs and also tearing down at 80kms . Would recommend them to anyone looking for a sweet ride ... and has the money .

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere with good climbs and good scenery .

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pros .

Bike Setup:   2000 Cannondale R2000 .

Submitted by mike a Racer from colorado springs

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Durable, Light, Responsive, Smooth

Bottom Line:
This wheel surpassed any and all expectations. I was using them exclusively as a race wheel but when I trashed my training rims during early season training in Arizona I had to resort to using my Rolfs while I mustered up the motivation to rebuild my other wheels. Of course, that first ride I got lost and ended up for 6 miles on a Jeep road through the Desert. Although I came out covered in mud the wheels were running straight as arrows(and I'm not one of those anorexic racers either!)
The only thing I've had to do to these wheels is change the tires because I'm riding them all the time now! They are far more durable than other high end wheels and I think ride just as well.

Similar Products Used:   Zipp 340&440, Shimano 7700

Bike Setup:   2001 Lemond Maillot Jaune(shouldn't they all be steel?)

Submitted by troy coleman a Racer from seattle, washingotn, usa

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, fast easy to true because there are so few spokes - taking the tire off is no big deal. To properly true ANY wheel the tire must be removed anyway.

Weaknesses:    none -

Bottom Line:
These wheels are the best! Super stiff in the corners and when out of the saddle sprinting or climbing. The ride isn't any harsher than any other pre built wheel set and they are defiantly a good measure stronger. I use them for cyclo cross as well and they hold up better than any other wheel / hub combo I can imagine. If you want Faster, Stiffer, Stronger then these are the wheels for you!

Favorite Trail:   Orions trail

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Spinergy, Mavic, Velomax, Corima

Bike Setup:   Eddy Mercks Alu-Carbon, Full Dura-Ace, Rolf, Ozou Pro full carbon fork, Deda Newton stem and bars

Submitted by Hod from Monterey,Ca.

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    Never needs truing,Hugi hubs,Stiff

Bottom Line:
These wheels are very stiff and responsive. I have had them on two bikes and have about 2500 miles on them. Never had to have them trued. When I due a century ride, I change to my 32 spoke mavics. They are great for time trials, triathelons and hills, but they will beat you up on a century. Love the hugi hubs, everybody knows where you are in a group ride. Probally has saved my hide a couple of times because of it. I would not have bought them at full retail price though.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Zeppelin,All Dura Ace except brakes (Ultegra's)Reynolds UZO pro fork,Easton Carbon bar and seatpost, Speedplay pedals.

Submitted by Phil Metzger a Racer from Elburn, IL USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Relatively light, very durable

Weaknesses:    spoke adjustment not easily accessible. But with Rolf wheels, it's not an issue. Ride is a little on harsh side

Bottom Line:
My Zurich came with the Vector Comps. After about 8,000 miles I figured it was time to replace/upgrade. The Comps
convinced me to stay with the Rolf line. I had to tweek 2
spokes after 5,000 miles, unbelievable. They never saw a
spoke wrench after that. The Pros spin up faster than the
Comps. They also are exceptional in crosswinds, like they
aren't there. The ride on the Pro's is less harsh than the
Comps, but with carbon fork (on all bikes at this price range) it's not that bad.

These baby's are sweet. I've had 5 sets of custom wheels built over the years, nothing I've rode could hold a candle
to the Pro's. If you put in lots of miles and can afford
them, it's a no-brainer.

Favorite Trail:   john muir, Legrange WI

Purchased At:   lickton cycles, Oak Park IL

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Vector Comps. Hugi's with revolution spokes, Mavic SUP

Bike Setup:   99 Lemond Zurich

Submitted by Mark M13 a Racer from Bethel,CT,USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight-Low drag- super strong.

Weaknesses:    After riding in heavy rain water can collect in the tallish V rims. Spins itself out on the next ride. No biggie

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic wheelset!! I had no idea they were so pricey. I'm glad I didnt' have to pay full price though it would be worth it.

The first thing you notice over traditional wire wheels is how fast they spin up. You seem to be at crusing or sprinting speed much quicker. I attribute this to the low count of bladed spokes.

I have about 3000 miles and 12 or so races and have had no maitnence issues so far.

Great wheelset!

Favorite Trail:   Black Cap-Peaked Mtn- In White Mtns of NH

Purchased At:   Bethel Cycle of CT

Similar Products Used:   Open Pro-Sachs Various OEM wheelsets.

Bike Setup:   Aegis Aero Svelt- weave layup. Ultegra ect.

Submitted by Paul from Sonoma County, California

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light and VERY strong.
Look cool.

Weaknesses:    Harsh ride.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are light and I was told they are strong - I considered Campy wheels, but that they fail easily.

I had one bad crash and the wheel stayed dead true - they are strong.

They are great on my carbon bike - I think on an aluminum or even Ti bike, they would be a very harsh ride. The roads in California wine counrty are bad - very rough and potholes - without the carbon frame, these wheels would be too harsh for comfort.

Favorite Trail:   Wine Country roads

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200SCi; Chorus triple.

Submitted by Joost van Bezooijen a Racer from Hilversum, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Looks & strength

Weaknesses:    Noisy at high speeds when you are freewheeling, the Hugi freewheel sounds like a machinegun. Your mates will always hear you coming on descends unless you paddle like mad.

Bottom Line:
These wheels were quite an investment but they have never let me down. From the flanks of the Aubisque to the bumpy Belgian criteriums they hold and do the business. And they make your bike look so cool. I did peel off those awful glossy transfers though.

Favorite Trail:   Driebergen