Rolf Prima Vector Comp Wheelset

4.23/5 (22 Reviews)

Rolf Vector Comp

Submitted by Jonathan Bisek a Racer from Plzen, Czech Republc

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    Super strong. Good aerodynamics.

Weaknesses:    Too narrow to accept TUFO "tubular clinchers". Skewers tend to make creaking noises if not opened and closed in a new position every once in a while. Need to have a special tool to check spoke tension, I believe...

Bottom Line:
Great wheels for fast training. I weigh 90 kilos, have had major crashes (broke my hip in Prague on the cobbles), ridden literally thousands and thousands of kilometers AND HAVE NEVER TRUED THESE WHEELS. No joke. Good maintenance of the bearings is all you need.

Purchased At:   Carl Hart Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open CD, MA 40

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek OCLV Postal with mix of Ultegra, Dura Ace and other choise tidbits...

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Alameda, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2005

Strengths:    Looks great, feels great

Bottom Line:
I raced a triathlon and blew out the rear tire. Rode on rocky pavement/concrete/bricks for 2-3 miles on just the rear rim. Wheel only needed minor truing, and came out with a small ding on the rim.
While all of the other wheels became out of true by riding off a curb or sliding into a pothole, this set is a performer!

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Suntour; both mountain & road wheels.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Epic carbon fiber, aluminum fork
Ultegra 10 shifters, brakes, rear & front der. Campy Veloce crank.

Submitted by Anthony Castellanos a Cross Country Rider from Isla Verde, Puerto Rico USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    light stiff fast never had to true them low mant. and deep dish rim.

Weaknesses:    if your lbs doesnt have bearings it can be a while before rolf gets them to you. Creaking was caused by crappy rolf skewers i put my torrelli skewers in solved the problem .Also the decals are ugly PEEL EM OFF!!

Bottom Line:
these wheels are awesome if you dont want to spend the money on rolf vigors and if you commute like i do they are a bomb proof wheelset no problems and for everyone with the creaking problem get new skewers!! i love these wheels kick mavic ksyriums ass but the open pro is still the commuter king!

Favorite Trail:   Any road

Purchased At:   CraigsList

Similar Products Used:   Mavic ksyriums elites, Rolf Vigor RS, alx 330

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez pro Ultegra 9
Panasonic The ORDER TI Dura ace 8

Submitted by dave a Racer from birmingham

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    look good, roll quite fast, spin up ok

Weaknesses:    well well well, if ur a strong sprinter, ie can win on a track there not up 2 the jub of sprinting

Bottom Line:
these things are ok but there not really strong enough to race on. admitidly i am a sprinter so the problem may not apply to every one but they colapsed on the 1st proper spring i put through them. the back rim folded in and the hub twisted round taking most the spokes out with it, it locked the back wheel in between the frame and nearly lost me the race. the front also creaks. im only 72kg so i dnt really think this should be happening. i got a replacment but sold it on ebay. however i could of just had a duff pair caus i know of quite a few others that are fine. bottom line however dont follow a pair of thses in a race

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   came on my tt bike

Similar Products Used:   vector pros, spinergy x aeros, spinergy rev x, many built ups

Bike Setup:   mercury titanium, durace, itm milenium finishing kit, variety of wheels

Submitted by Anton Sella a Weekend Warrior from Menomonee Falls/La Crosse WI

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    light, strong, areodynamic, great hubs, very attractive

Weaknesses:    Little more surface area for cross winds to pick up on

Bottom Line:
First road bike I have ever owned and it came with these rims, I am the envy of my friends in the bluffs of La Crosse as these babies love to coast, have a hard time staying in a draft line for that reason. i noticed the creaking when i first bought the bike but i got a new stem and have not heard anything coming from the front since, which changed my mind on where the noise was coming from, maybe the wheels are wrongfully accused on this one

Purchased At:   Emery's Cycle and Fitness

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 Ultegra

Submitted by Scott Overfield a Weekend Warrior from Pulaski, VA USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    seem bombproof after 8000 miles or so.

Weaknesses:    creaking when climbing. You need to lube the skewer. Easy fix. Mine started after 1 years use. I have since read about this-can't remember where.

Bottom Line:
I can often coast faster downhill than many who are pedaling. This usually means I have to sit upright or get out of a draft or run into the rider in front.

Bike Setup:   5200 Postal

Submitted by Chris S from Racine, Wi, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    super strong,aerodynamic, almost never needs truing

Weaknesses:    crosswinds really affect ride

Bottom Line:
this rim rules. propably the strongest rims i've ever had.
not super light but not too heavy either. These may not be the
best racing rims, but for the money they make great training or weekend warrior rims. I havn't had any of the creaking problems most people complain of.

Favorite Trail:   petrifying springs

Purchased At:   Racine Cyclery (came with bike)

Bike Setup:   trek 2300 full ultegra, michelin axial pro tires

Submitted by Nikos Hollis a Weekend Warrior from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    Incredibly reliable, fast, light, style up the wazoo!

Weaknesses:    Aero rims and bladed spokes catch sideways gusts a little too well.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what these cost aftermarket as mine came on the bike, but they are definitely a smart long-term nvestment. These babies are super-stiff, making acceleration a breeze, but I'd avoid using them on a bottom-bashing superlight aluminum vibration hog if you want to be able to walk after your rides. Saying that, on carbon they're great.
I notice the aero effects on fast downhills when I pull ahead of my friends, plus the chicks love the style. I plan on using mine for years to come.

Favorite Trail:   Wildcat Canyon

Purchased At:   private seller

Bike Setup:   5200 Trek OCLV, Full Ultegra groupy

Submitted by Mike Schmidt a Cross Country Rider from Spring Green, WI USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    I'm careful, but I've hit some potholes and they seem to take them well.

Weaknesses:    After reading other reviews, I think I've located the source of the "creaking." I thought it was my headset, but now I'm thinking it might be the wheels. In my case, it creaks when I'm sitting and NOT standing.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I like them. I've had a few problems with spokes loosening up, though. Also, no one told me I'd have to get special inner tubes with longer valve stems. That could've hurt.

They came on the bike, so I don't know what they cost me, but I've seen them for over $400.00 at the shop - without rubber.

Favorite Trail:   Area roads

Purchased At:   Madison, WI Trek Shop

Similar Products Used:   None. Old Matrix on an older Trek 2300. Not even close.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 2300

Submitted by eric tiongson a Weekend Warrior from daly city

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    Reliability, looks, price. Having 3000 miles on these wheels, I only had to do a very minor truing job at my favorite bike shop (Bike Route)in San Bruno. And this was because I successfuly went over a couple of deep pot holes. Inspite of the mishap, the wheels held up well. These wheels are sharp looking. Specially on my Kestrel. Good aerodynamics due to bladed spokes.

Weaknesses:    I'd like to say weight but for the price I really can't complain. The "creaking" noise mentioned in previous reviews was also evident when my bike was new. After approx. 200 miles or so, the noise was gone.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are bombproof. I was 205 lbs when I first got on these wheels and they held up pretty well. Great for overall riding.

Favorite Trail:   marin headlands

Purchased At:   Bike Route

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 200SCI, deda 215 bar, zero stem, Ulegra guppo

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    light, stiff, smooth hubs, look great

Weaknesses:    affected by cross winds, creaking when riding out of the saddle

Bottom Line:
Great riding wheels. They also look great. (Mine are blue, matching my Lemond Zurich bike.) But, as others have experienced, after about 400 miles of use my front wheel started to creak badly when I stand to climb. I find it quite irritating.

I like them a lot otherwise, especially when moving fast on flat terrain or descending. The hubs also seem super smooth and light. The wheels themselves are stiff and precise. Because of their semi-aero rims and bladed spokes, however, a powerful side wind can cause some sudden bike movement.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   Lemond Zurich. Full Ultegra.

Submitted by Daniel Carr a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Red look is trick, stiff, never had them trued

Weaknesses:    could be creaking...

Bottom Line:
If looks are important - and lets face it, who wants to look like the dogs been chewing on them - then these wheels should be on your list. The red finish has been attacked with all kinds of degreaser and not faded yet - which I thought it would.

The wheels are very stiff, which I personally like. Riding other wheelsets I'm often checking to see if I've got a slow puncture... They seem pretty bombproof, I ride this bike daily, enjoy hopping stuff and jumping speed bumps so would have expected a rebuild by now, but not even a true up! Hubs still feel great as well, and in the UK we get some wet, salty winters.

There is a regular click from the front end when going hard but no other creaks.

Great set of wheels.