Rolf Prima Satelite Wheelset

3.86/5 (51 Reviews)
Weight : front-830 g rear-110 g

Rolf Satellite wheelsets are the perfect upgrade for first-time racers and spirited fitness riders who are looking to improve their performance. » INCREDIBLY STRONG Rolf's innovation — Paired Spoke Technology™ — and patented Torque Transfer hub design help maximize torsional stiffness for crisper, more responsive performance. » INCREDIBLY LIGHT Rolf's low spoke count and overall design create a wheel that's 70 grams lighter than stock performance wheels. » INCREDIBLY FAST The lighter weight and patented rim design help lower rotational inertia for faster acceleration with less effort. WEIGHT 830g front, 1110 rear (based on 26" clincher) SPOKES Radial, paired; 20 front, 24 rear RIMS Single cavity, low profile, KAZ welded aluminum Upgrades from a standard wheel: Satellite offers Rolf's innovation — Paired Spoke Technology — giving you greater lateral and radial strength, 50% more pulling spokes, reduced rear wheel dish, and reduced spoke count for less weight and drag.

Submitted by Dustonius a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Strengths:    Rims stay very true - most important thing ever
They look cool - which matters SOOOO much :)

Weaknesses:    Front and rear bearing cups will loosen up with time.
Not a very standard freehub - harder to find parts.
Bearing seals leave something to be desired

Bottom Line:
I've owned these wheels while learning to do some of the more technical things around Boise. That means not exactly being smooth and gentle on step-ups and such. I'm also the guy that the yuppies squeal at as I bomb down the multi-use trails. I reef on them pretty hard and they're just as true as can be. They're not ultra light, but not at all heavy. They're not super stiff, but not at all flexy. All in all, a trusty rim. Just keep an eye on the play in your hubs.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Island

Purchased At:   used for $50

Bike Setup:   07 Rockhopper Single Speed

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Pacific

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2007

Strengths:    The wheels are light and strong.

Weaknesses:    Not Disk ready

Bottom Line:
Good wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb Trail

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90, Rock Shox Psylo SL, Fox float Rear shock, XT components.

Submitted by Jonah from Port Angeles, WA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great wheelset, has stood up to a lot of abuse.

Bottom Line:
Came with my new Trek and have never let me down. Would last a whole lot longer if I had maintained them. I have even ridden some difficult downhill on them with out losing true.

Bike Setup:   '01 Trek 8000

Submitted by Larry Cornish a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    Really lightweight, strong, only had to true it a few times by doing good size drops

Weaknesses:    not disc ready

Bottom Line:
i think its a great deal from what ive seen in the past 6 years. i havent had to buy another rim since. i might have to soon cause disc brakes are taking over.................

Purchased At:   Bell's Bikes

Bike Setup:   full XT/LX hardtail

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Looks

Weaknesses:    Not Disc ready

Bottom Line:
Suprising Great Wheel for XC, Probably not Ideal for Megadown hillers, But no Complaints yet.

Favorite Trail:   Tsail NC

Purchased At:   Bikeline

Submitted by Ed Trudeau from Dayton, Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, cool looking

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Got these wheels with my bike when I started MTBing a year ago. I weighed like 235 then, so I didn't expect them to last very long. I was wrong, they have held tough, even after bashing them into a bunch of rocks and even winding the chain into the rear spokes. I do MX too, so I didn't show them alot of mercy on the trials that I could find around here. I would say that you could junk them pretty quick if you were boneheaded enough to try a DH course with them, but for their intended XC purpose (light weight) they rock. Five flamin chilies until I bust em!

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake (MI)

Bike Setup:   2001 Klien Adept Comp

Submitted by TALL BOY a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, light, looks cool. Has stayed relatively true throughout all kinds of abuse. Easy to tune and true.

Weaknesses:    not yet

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal on some really solid rims. Riding in New Orleans is really hard on bike, even my full suspension. I did not expect them to stay true long but they stayed strong. They eat up the trails and are very easy to work on. I have had a hard time finding customer service ie. a website or phone #. If you are looking to save some cash without losing quality go for the Rolf's. Very cool design and will stay strong if taken care of. Cheers.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Bike Setup:   '01 fuel 80, cloud 9, englund air judy c, avid ti's, shimano xt and xtr drive, maxxis

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from Sumter SC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    Mine have been strong and stayed true

Weaknesses:    A little flexy. Not the most precise set of wheels you can ride.

Bottom Line:
Mine have been strong with no problems either with the rims or hubs. I have taken care of the hubs like all cones and bearing should be. From the looks of past reviews the produnt went down hill in 01. My 00 set are fine.

Favorite Trail:   All with dirt and hils

Similar Products Used:   517 to Chris King hubs

Bike Setup:   8K Trek, XT stuff

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong, true. Look pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I've had no problems at all with these wheels. I am pretty light (155 lbs.), so this may help. On the other hand, I normally ride on rough, rocky trails, so the rims take a good deal of XC abuse. After 14 months of regular riding in all sorts of conditions, the rims are still true and strong. And at least as light as when I bought them...

There's a lot of pieces I'm upgrading on my Adept Comp (brakes, stem & seatpost done, drivetrain and fork in the queue), but these wheels are staying.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Hills

Purchased At:   OEM

Bike Setup:   2001 Klein Adept Comp

Submitted by Scott Peterson a Cross Country Rider from Escanaba

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, takes a beating and keeps true. They look great.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset. Have ridden these very hard over the past year including a 24 hour race that went through very rocky sections, and they are still very true. Buy em if you can find em.

Favorite Trail:   Fumee Lake

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, ZAC Weiman,

Bike Setup:   Hard tail, SID, XT drivetrain, Easton stem seatpost and bars.

Submitted by fearide mentality a Downhiller from québec

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    The wheelset is the strongest i've seen (except a 24 inch wheel.)The hubs are the made with a BIG quality(never scratch) lightest 20 spokes front and 24 spokes rear
my 2.7 hutchinson jumbo fit on the rims!!!

Weaknesses:    i have broke 2 rims (rear) in one weak!!!!! but the first two years i have no problem

Bottom Line:
i think it's for hard cross-country but i use them for freeride oups!

Favorite Trail:   drops dh and urban assault

Purchased At:   duplain

Similar Products Used:   a big fat mamooth

Bike Setup:   Kona roast, judy sl 4 inch coil, tire hutchinson jumbo, and many downhill pieces

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Came with bike

Weaknesses:    Spokes keep breaking

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to my previous posting. After the second spoke broke in the rear wheel, I took it back to the LBS. They said they don't have any more problems with these wheels than others, so they replaced the spoke. THey said the spokes have to be really tight, though, so they tightened the spokes. A few rides later, 3 miles out, a third spoke popped in the rear wheel. Now that the spokes are "properly" tight, the wheel had a big lateral offset, so it kept hitting the frame, and I had to carry the bike 3 miles back to the car.

Back at the LBS, they called Trek--they are shipping it back to Trek for total rebuild.

I guess I will put the wheel on an old bike I hardly ever ride. Overall, I think it is a crappy design. The spaces between spokes are bigger, so it is probably easier to pick up sticks and stones, and slam them into the frame. Then, if you lose one spoke, you probably won't be able to ride home, you will have to carry your bike.

I think of them as Ralph wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager (rims crack around spokes), shimano/mavic

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from golden, co, usa

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    strong rim

Weaknesses:    spokes break

Bottom Line:
I have had 2 spokes break at the bend on the rear wheel on separate occasions. I am a big guy, but was riding on non-technical trails.

The front hub makes funny squeak/groan sounds when I lean forward.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager (problems0, Mavic/Shimano

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Poland, Maine

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Strengths:    Stays true, so-so light, great looks

Weaknesses:    Rear hub, so-so light

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels when my full suspension bike frame broke and I was transfering my components to my new hardtail. The old LX/Mavic 217 wheels seemed old and lbs gave me a great deal on the Rolfs. They are excellent, except that the rear hub seal isn't up to par. I ride in a lot of muddy conditions, and have hose the rear end a lot. After a month of riding and cleaning/lubing after every ride, I hung it up for a month. When I returned, the hub was frozen, and I had to reef on it to free it up. It made lots of noise, so I had the shop flush it and re-grease the bearings. They said it had rust in there. My LX hubs never did that and I treated them exactly the same way. Might be a bad seal - we'll see. At least they've stayed completely in true. I had a real big-hit that pinch-flatted my front immediately, and the rim held up fine.

Purchased At:   Rainbow Bikes - Auburn, Maine

Similar Products Used:   LX/Mavic 217

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC-SE2 hardtail, full XT, Marzocci Z2-Atom 80, Rolf Sattelite, IRC Mythos, Answer Pro-tapers.

Submitted by Dustin a Weekend Warrior from Papillion, NE

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Very strong. I am a big guy, 200 pounds, and I love to do urban assault. These rims took all of the abuse I could throw at them for 2 years without giving me any problems. I never had to work on the hubs or replace spokes the entire time i had them. Even though i toasted my rear wheel last week, I won't complain about them. I had a set of Mavic Crossmax's that last less time than these. If Rolf was still in business, i would buy another set for my new XC bike.

Weaknesses:    I never had to true these wheels for 1 1/2 years, but after that first truing, I had to do it alot. The spokes never held their original strength after I had to true them. After 2 years of "freeriding," the rim finally gave out and squared off on a stair. Still, no complaints from me considering i am a big guy and beat the hell out of them for 2 years.

Bottom Line:
Great wheel. Took everything i threw at them without giving me problems. If i can freeride with them confidently, then they are a must have for any XC rider. Bontrager makes these now for those of you who don't know, so check into them.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park