Rolf Prima Dolomite Wheelset

3.64/5 (113 Reviews)

Rolf Dolomite

Submitted by Juan luis Plazaola from the Bask Country a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Very light and quite stiff, stay true. Nice looking. Far better than the Deore-Mavic 317 they replaced

Weaknesses:    Difficult to find spare freewheel and maintenance-assembly information

Bottom Line:
I bought them on sale from Bicyclebuys to upgrade my SUNN Neuro and remove some grams . I was very positively surprised because of their stiffness and low weight. They have stayed true for 10 years. I recently purchased a Kona Hei Hei and I would like to keep them as spare wheels, but freewheel is already showing some play and needs to be replaced.
I still have not found any information in the net about the freewheel make-model and assembly instructions. Some help on this regard would be appreciated.

Favorite Trail:   Samiño, Hirukurutzeta

Duration Product Used:   12 yrs

Purchased At:   Bicyclebuys.com

Similar Products Used:   Easton Haven, Deore Hub-Mavic X317 rims

Bike Setup:   SUNN Neuro, Marzocchi Marathon 2002, XT build and KONA HeiHei Trail 2011, FOX (front and rear) XT-SLX Build

Submitted by mick markley a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2011

Strengths:    mine are proving to be indestructable. I have been hammering these wheels for 7 years, and the only time I have had to true them was a month after I bought the bike. Had the rear hub repacked about two years ago, and that's it. Rock solid.

Weaknesses:    none for me.

Bottom Line:
I've had to replace most of the components on this frame over the years, but not these wheels. They are the real deal.

Favorite Trail:   Big Levels, Sherando Lake

Purchased At:   bike factory charlot

Similar Products Used:   mavic crossride, mavic crossmax

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek elite 9.8 rockshox sid sl, XT/LX build

Submitted by Goodhumanbeing a Weekend Warrior from Nampa, ID

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff True Wheel with great roll

Bottom Line:
Great wheels... have ran them on this bike literally for years of steady serious riding in Boise foothills... Never have even trued them... and they are still great... Showing some wear from use, but still look great, wish they were making 29s? Anyway... wheels are so good that they are worth commenting!

Favorite Trail:   Hard Guy, Boise ID

Purchased At:   IONIC CYCLES BOISE

Similar Products Used:   OTHERS

Bike Setup:   Classic 90s IONIC RS JUDY, RACEFACE, Rolf DOLOMITE, SRAM, XT, PANARACERS

Submitted by Craig McBrierty a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2005

Strengths:    Exceptionally light, strong, good looking, hard wearing.

Weaknesses:    I have replaced the rear last year freewheel however i ride in a dusty gravel that destroys bikes so the wheels have done well. The front hub squeeks occasionally, fixed by lifting the seal off of the hub and letting oil seep into it for 24 hours. they are a nightmare to get tubeless tyres to seat on properly I have tried both Michelin and Huchison with no luck

Bottom Line:
Very reliable, they have had a lot of abuse: racing, traing, odd bit of freeride, downhill and jumping. They are still true after 4 years of abuse and replacing the freewheel wasnt expensive $35 or £22.

The wheels are are used with Hs33 brakes andd the rims are still thick and strong. they make a cool noise as the spokes cut through the air when going fast.

The only downside is i wish i had bought the disc compatible versions, but i got them less than half price on a special offer.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress Black Run

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossmax

Bike Setup:   GT hardtail frame, Marzocchi Z2 atom 80 forks, XTR/XT gearing, Rolf Wheels, Race Face Cranks, Easton Mag stem, Magura Hs33 brakes and michelin all mountain tyres.

Submitted by Fred a Racer from Wakefield, MA USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    Durable, great-looking, tough as nails

Weaknesses:    Broke two spokes

Bottom Line:
I first was attracted to these wheels because they're light and they look rediculously good. I have been using them on my hardtail for the past FIVE years - that's FIVE years of abuse, racing, training, and hard core rocky east coast riding. I had two spokes break, both in the same season, four years ago, both within a few weeks of each other. I'm guessing they were'nt tensioned properly.

Anyway, despite what some reviewers are saying about these wheels, I can say that I have been very impressed with mine. They're chipped, a little out of true, but they just keep on rollin'. I've never done ANTHING to the hubs and they still roll smooth.

My next wheels will probably be Rolfs.

Favorite Trail:   Breakheart

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   99 Schwinn Moab hardtail, lx/xt Sid XC

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    Great looking smooth performance

Weaknesses:    Cone on rear hub come loose every once in a while.Loud freewheel

Bottom Line:
I bought these used in fair condition. They rock besides. I weight 200 and these things haven't gone out of true yet.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   XTR/Mavic D521 LX/Bontanger Maveric

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 SL/ Mars 1

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    True - strong - I even like the Dolomite Stickers - love the disc hub - can't complain about the weight either

Bottom Line:
I was so impressed by the strength of these wheels on my Trek 8000, that I simply transferred them to my race bike (Intense Tracer). I've been riding 24 hour races in Ontario Canada with these wheels for the past 4 years in the worst conditions, and I only had to repack/true them once. They roll smoothly, are very stiff and don't require oodles of maintenance. I wish They were still for sale - would probably buy a few more sets.

Favorite Trail:   The Don

Purchased At:   Sport Swap

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Prime

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer - set up for cross country 24 hour racing - full XTR, Answer Pro Tapers, Hayes Hydraulic, etc...

Submitted by Tiffanee a Weekend Warrior from CS, Texas, US

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Strengths:    Strong nice light wheels, they came with the bike when husband got it.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub fell apart, and cannot get replacement parts for it.

Bottom Line:
The front wheel is holding up well, the back wheel is frustrating to say the least. When I got the bike the wheel had a roughness too it and grease in the bearings made it last awhile more, but now the cassete can be wobbled around as the freehub has disinigrated basically.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   trek 8900

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Strengths:    Durability.

Weaknesses:    None that I've noticed.

Bottom Line:
I was surprised to see so many negative reviews of these wheels. I have ridden mine for 5 years (or has it been 6?) and have only had the hubs/bearings redone this past summer. Otherwise, not a single problem. These wheels seem bomb-proof to me. Maybe it's a question of weight. I'm 165 and try to pick good lines. Maybe heavier riders or those taking a more direct approach to the downhills are having problems. But the wheels have treated me so right that I felt compelled to weigh in. I don't wrench on the bike much (mostly just adjust the derailleurs, clean, and lube)--I just like to ride--so these wheels have been great.

Similar Products Used:   Whatever Bontrager wheels came with my no-suspension Yokota Yosemite that I bought in 1993.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 hardtail, Rock Shox SID 80mm fork; XT components with XTR rear derailleur

Submitted by DREW STROUT a Cross Country Rider from N. Conway, NH

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    They are round and true!

Weaknesses:    I purchased my Trek 8000 and loved it. After a few short rides, I noticed a wobble in the rear. At first I thought it was from the typical cross country trail riding we do. The bike shop serviced the 'Satellite wheel, and couldn't tighten the hub, and replaced the entire wheel with a new one. The new wheel was okay for about the first 50 miles of riding and then the the "Wobble" started again during a 24-Hour Mountain Bike Race. The techs on-sight could not tighten it. I did finish the race, and the following day took my bike back to the bike shop. The guys there were great, and once again replaced the wheel with the 'Dolomite.' This wheel was okay for approximately the first 50 miles of riding, and the 'Wobble' started all over again!!! I didn't want to 'bust the balls' of the Bike Shop owner anymore. They run a great business. As for ROLF WHEELS . . . . They suck!!!! Do not buy them! JUNK!!

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY ROLF WHEELS. THE HUBS Are Terrible!!!!! Not dependable! A waste of money!

Favorite Trail:   Nanomucomuc

Purchased At:   Sports Outlet

Similar Products Used:   ROLF SATELLITE
ROLF DOLOMITE

Bike Setup:   TREK 8000 w/ XT components front and back.
Race Face Front Sprocket & Judy Fork

Submitted by Dida a Cross Country Rider from the World

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, can`t bend.

Bottom Line:
These are really great wheels, they haven`t bend once. Extremely stiff. Once, I heard a strange sound in the rear hub, but then I oiled it really good, and it dissapeared. The only problem is that now, I want discs. AND IN THE WHOLE WORLD YOU CAN`T FIND ROLF DISC HUBS. Nobody sells those things.

Purchased At:   Rog Joma

Similar Products Used:   Some crappy X-rims.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500, XTR, XT, Bontrager.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    Rim is pretty strong and stays true.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub! Rim leaks air. Wheelset will last 1 year only!

Bottom Line:
The Rolf Dolomite UST wheelset came with the Fuel 98 I purchased back in 2001. During the first year the rear hub was replaced on warranty. The second year I had it rebuilt twice, replaced the body and bearings. Both the front and rear wheel started suddenly to leak air, tried different tires and replaced the valve but no improvement. In the end I had to get the Stan's notubes.com product to prevent the tires going flat.
Additionally the sidewalls are pretty much worn out now. During the last ride a spoke broke off on the rear wheel => It will now go to the local recycling station!

Sad to see that Trek use Rolf and Bontrager items or should I say "in-house" products on their expensive bikes.

I can NOT recommend this product for anyone who expects a wheelset to last more than one year!

Favorite Trail:   American Standard, Jim Thorpe

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race UST, X221

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98, SID Race, Truvative Stylo Team

Submitted by Trent Munson a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    They SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is worthless...I have had it replaced under warranty once already and it is now ready for another. It develops an axial wobble. I thought the first time it happened was a fluke, but now that they are ready for replacement again, I think not. They simply Suck!!!

Bottom Line:
Unbelievably weak...Would not recomend.

Favorite Trail:   NO Favorite

Purchased At:   Came on bike...

Similar Products Used:   Cheap ass rims that have held up for years...

Bike Setup:   Klien Mantra, XT comonents, Crappy Rolf Dolomite Rims.

Submitted by Willy Klouda a Cross Country Rider from Novelty Oh USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2003

Strengths:    Great wheelset! Light, strong, looks good!

Weaknesses:    Still haven't found any, I keep reading about this rear hub problem others are having? I haven't seen it!

Bottom Line:
I love these things! Haven't had a single problem! No screwed up hubs, no broken spokes, I tweeked the back rim, but it was my fault, I threw the bike ( I got a little mad), The rim adjusted and is fine. I like them enough that I just bought a spare set from a local bike shop yesterday
They sold them to me nos for 200.00! How can you beat that!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   First "real" set of wheels

Bike Setup:   Jamis diablo pro , All xtr , cranks raceface next lp, shocks Manitou sx-r

Submitted by Andrew Nevitt a Cross Country Rider from Saratoga, CA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Theses wheels came on my Trek Fuel 98 '01. At first I liked them as they seemed fairly light and I am pretty light at 165 lbs. I also have never had to true them and I jump them and ride over a lot of roots and rocks. Good for light people who ride in totally dry climate.

Weaknesses:    The main weakness I have had is the rear hub is a throw away after only sixteen months of divided riding (that is between my road bike and my other hardtail mountain bike). I went to my local shop to get new sealed bearings and it also needed a free body hub as it had developed a wobble, or some sort of looseness. But then the mechanic noticed that the sidewalls were almost worn through. I ride in the winter what can I say. If you ride in the winter when it is wet you had better get ceramic or discs, as I am now. I also ride a lot in Stevens Creek Canyon and do a minimum of three creek crossings per ride (minimun). The hubs are soooo poorly sealed that it should be a crime for these guys at Rolf to call them sealed mechanism. Yeah right!

Bottom Line:
I have to give the wheelset a thumbs down since it has a really crappy useful life. If it had good longevity I would definately give a hearty thumbs up, as I never had a single problem with the wheels going out of true. So if they built it on better hubs and made the braking surface much more durable then they would have something worth buying.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   Chainreaction bikes

Similar Products Used:   Mavic rims on XT hubs. With no problems on the rims sidewalls or the hub bearings in a full year more riding on the bike. At the same place with no ill effects.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98 '01 XT, XTR, Rock Shox SID, Time ATAC Carbon, Bonty Race cranks

Rolf Dolomite Wheel set for sale

If anyone is interested I have a set of Rolf Dolomite for sale. The rear hub will need to be rebuilt but other than that they are in good condition. They are double wall. $250 oboRead More »

Rolf Dolomite Disc cracked rear rim?! WTF?

Went to ride my new Fuel 90, Came back home and noticed that my rear rim was cracked at a spoke hole, It literally pulled the whole spoke out of the rim, Has anyone noticed this too with Dolomite Disc wheels? Also, is it still safe to ride it?Read More »

Rolf Dolomite rear hub rebuild question.

I put this question up on the Wheels Forum 4 hours ago and haven't gotten any feedback. So I thought I'd cast a wider net here. Thanks for any insights. I have a Rolf Dolomite Disk wheelset in fine shape except..., the rear hub needs to be rebuilt. Can I rebuild the hub with off the shelf parts, ... Read More »

Rolf Dolomite rear hub rebuild question.

I have a Rolf Dolomite Disk wheelset in fine shape except..., the rear hub needs to be rebuilt. Can I rebuild the hub with off the shelf parts, or am I sh*t out of luck because the Rolf parts aren't made anymore?Read More »

Rolf Dolomite rear hub parts

One of the bearing cones on my rear Dolomite is getting worns after a decade, and I'm looking for a replacement. I've found one at the LBS that will work, but it's not an OEM part, which I'd rather have. Anyone know where I can find some spare hub parts--even used, in good shape--or have some old ... Read More »