Rolf Prima 2001 Urraco Disc Wheelset

4.18/5 (11 Reviews)

Rolf Urraco Disc was created for elite-level amateur and committed recreational racers who want a strong, fast wheelset with the added stopping power of disc brakes
Rolf's innovative Paired Spoke Technology and cartridge bearing, Swiss-made disc hub — with its patented Torque Transfer design — help maximize torsional stiffness for crisper, more responsive performance
WEIGHT 760g front, 980g rear
SPOKES Extreme butted, paired; 24 front, 24 rear
RIMS Single cavity, low profile, KAZ welded aluminum.

Submitted by Wes a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, durable, fast, very nice looking w/ red anodized finish and paired spokes

Weaknesses:    Rolf no longer makes nor offers customer service for these wheels; decals aren't glued on too well

Bottom Line:
I am considered quite heavy for a mtb rider (220 lbs) and have never had any problem with my urraco wheels. I am a XC rider and mainly ride on single-track trails with a few jumps and drops of around 2 - 3 feet. I have used these wheels for several years. My front rim is 100% true and has never been serviced, and my rear rim is slightly out of true, but nothing serious enough to warrant any servicing as of yet. I can still keep my v-brake tight w/o the rim touching, and the rolf hubs still glide smoothly w/ no lateral play. These wheels are very light, fast, durable and good looking and I would recommend to any XC MTB enthusiast.

Favorite Trail:   Draper Yellow

Purchased At:   Al's Bicycles; came w/ Trek STP 300

Similar Products Used:   Trek VRX 300 w/ bontrager wheels and hubs.

Bike Setup:   Trek STP 300 w/ OCLV carbon frame, XTR rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, XT brake lever/shifter combo, avid v-brakes, icon graphite series crankset, handlebar, stem, & saddle post, rock shox SID XC front fork and SID dual air rear shock, rolf urraco rim-break wheelset, bontrager tires and saddle.

Submitted by mike lucas a Racer from council tucky, iowa

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    very light! cool red looks good...strong strong strong. also very fast. stay in true!!

Weaknesses:    decalsssssssss...come off on the edges but really looks arent everything-rolf doesnt make rims anymore

Bottom Line:
awesome rims--love them! i must mention i have the non disc version, only makes them lighter. extremly fast! some flex but what doesnt flex a lil. i have them with the python air lite and some super light tubs. lightes rims ive seen--buy it if ur a competitive cross country racer but if u get a good price on some used ones, and u dont ride very often go for it!

Favorite Trail:   swanson

Purchased At:   team bike shop

Bike Setup:   2003 supercaliber-custom built-easton carbon handlebars stem...xtr der. xt v-brakes, italia seat. 21 lbs

Submitted by Jason Gardner from SLC, UT. USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    Light wieght, fast, look cool

Weaknesses:    ??? maybe a bit of side to side flex, and they are not tubeless.

Bottom Line:
Can't break them, can't get 'em out of true, refuse to give me any problems!!! That a great wheelset, I'm a 220pds rider and I rarely take the smooth/easy lines down the trail. I ride about 2-3 times per week and 3-4 Moab trips each year :-)! I have taken these Urraco's through it all, 2'-3' drops all the time, fast rocky single track- yada yada yada (you've heard it all). I thought after a season of abuse and a particularly hard Moab ride these babies would need to be trued... I got out the stand and mounted them up... to my surpise no adjustments needed! I couldn't believe it. I have heard of some rear hub problems, common with rolf wheelsets, however I haven't had any trouble yet. I hope they keep working to perfection and try to be a little easier on them. Good wheelset I highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Great Western

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Dolomite, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 98 (race), Sram 9.0, Sid XC, Avid mech disc, monkey lite, time atac, etc...

Submitted by Mark a Racer from CT

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff wheel that needs little truing during inital use.

Weaknesses:    When it starts to go, it really craps out. Rolf isn't around anymore and rebuilds are financially impractical.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these wheels with a Ti. softail I built up in 2000. I got them because at the time I was riding/racing Rolf Vector Pros on my rd bike and was impressed with them. I should add that on a mtn bike I am strictly an x-c racer. I'm not into big air, big drops or DH. For the first two seasons they were fine and needed very little attention. One thing I really hated about them was that the paired spoke design allowed very large sticks to get lodged in the wheels. This sent me over the bars several times and ripped off a rear 9.0sl derailure in a race. As of this season 2003 they have been a constant pain in the rear. Bearings always loose, rear out of true ect. Today the internal prawls combusted and the free hub was skipping forward, then refusing to freewheel. As such the rear is toast and can't be rebuilt. The front is fine but I'm sick of sticks getting lodged in there.

If you're reading this it's probably because you're thinking about picking up a second hand set or some old stock. I'd skip it.

Truth be known; I've never had a mtn wheel set last more than three years. But, during those three years I was riding them 5 days a week in season.

I now race rd and do allot of my mtn training on the rd. As such, these wheels probably averaged 2 days/ week. Not an impressive track record given the amount of use.

Similar Products Used:   Hand built Mavic,Velocity, Ringle,Shimano

Bike Setup:   Dean ACE 9.0sl/XTR R.S. Duke ect.

Submitted by Ellison Smith a Cross Country Rider from Greenville SC

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast, looks really cool, and stronger & more durable than you would expect

Weaknesses:    stickers come off easily. boo hoo.

Bottom Line:
First of all, I want to say that I have the rim brake version. I have been using them for several months now and I really like them. They're light and extremely fast. I had expected to have problems keeping in true, but it really isn't a problem. I even do some jumping on these things and they hold up. In eight months the front has stayed in absolutely perfect true, and the back has just gone a tiny bit out. Overall, it is a great wheelset for any kind of xc riding whether it is technical singltrack to xc racing. Although they have help up very well for me, I am still hesitant to do any large jumps or drops. But I am confident in them anyway. Overall, they are a great buy for the money. Ya couldn't do better.

I use these wheels on my Gary Fisher hardtail, and it is lightning quick. A superlight hardtail in combination with these wheels and some fast rolling tires is a really sweet ride.

Similar Products Used:   bontrager race, race-lite, crossmax, and another mavic set.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel, manitou black, full xt drivetrain, race face crankset, thomson elite post, easton carbon bar, avid sd-7 levers, avid mech disc brakes, xt hubs laced to mavic x3.1 rims, michelin tires, etc.

Submitted by Nick from Georgia

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    extremely durable, fairly light, looks

Weaknesses:    havent found one yet

Bottom Line:
The wheels rock. I'll do anything you put in front of me. I'm known for my big air, high drops, and just flat out crazy riding. i have about 1200 miles on these wheels, and been hit by two cars while crossing roads. Only problem I've ever had was busting a spoke while bombing up a hill. I think these wheels would be great for any rider who has the money. I only wish they were tubeless.

Favorite Trail:   anything w/ jumps and drops

Purchased At:   undisclosed

Bike Setup:   Cannondale, xtr derailleurs, xt 4-piston disc brakes, race face next lp carbon cranks, EC90 handle bars

Submitted by Greg Pupillo a Weekend Warrior from La Crosse WI USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    Came with the bike.

Weaknesses:    Broke the rear hub within 1 month.

Bottom Line:
I have the non-disc version of the Urraco's, which came with my new bike. Within one month, the rear hub was broken. Happily the shop replaced the broken part free of charge but I was left with the impression this was not the first time they had experienced this problem with the wheelset. I'm not a huge rider (170 lbs) nor am I very aggressive so I'm convinced it's a problem with the wheels.
Hopefully it won't happen again.

Purchased At:   Smith's

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Ringwood, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Strengths:    Very strong and reasobably light.

Weaknesses:    Not goning to say it again

Bottom Line:
This is another follow up to my 2 below. I’m surprised to see that there haven’t been more reviews on these wheels. These wheels are incredibly strong even though they only have 24 spokes per wheel. I can’t believe how well these things have held up. I original bought these about a year ago for my GT I-Drive 1500. Since then,these wheels have survived 2 frames and about 900 miles of the craziest, fastest and rockiest trails you can find in NJ. We also built this jump out of plywood and logs that’s about 3-4 feet high shaped like a ski jump at the bottom of a hill. I have jumped it close to 80 times, getting about 15 feet of distance and clearing the landing ramp several times (I’ve also missed and crashed a few times). Oh-yea, there’s this ledge I mentioned below that I jump off a few times, each time I go riding. All this, and just a small ding, a few scratches and one of them was tweaked once (just a hair) while it was still on the bike.

What more can I say?

P.S. Its all true and I don’t work for Rolf.

Favorite Trail:   The ones that go down hill

Similar Products Used:   Mavic and various others

Bike Setup:   HARO XCS (Intense Tracer)

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ringwood NJ

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, Weight, Looks

Weaknesses:    Still the stupid decals. I think they would look a lot cooler if they where white instead of chrome.

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to retract the part of my review below (2 reviews down) about the hubs having problems with making it seem like the rotors are warped. My LBS did a little fine tuning of my brakes and they don’t rub anymore. I now give them 5 flamers because they handle jumping off a 4-5 foot ledge onto flat ground with a 200 pound rider and 400 miles of the most abuse I can dish out. That’s how I ride, and that’s what I expect from a wheel that’s worth $600.

Nice wheels. I would buy them again

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221's on XT disc hubs

Bike Setup:   2001 GT iDrive XCR 1500 bla, bla, bla

Submitted by Slingshot a Racer from Canada's Capital

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    Looks,Sealed bearings!

Weaknesses:    Cheezy chrome stickers on the rim and hubs

Bottom Line:
Wheels are hot hot HOT! I still have my dolomite disc's and the hubs suck. The freehub body has virtually seized and runs like crap. also the front hub started to give me some problems after 1 season of use. The Urraco's set-up is excellent. The strength is AWESOME! Both types have always stayed true. I ride >100 miles a week, so they get their punishment for sure!
Only had to touch up the wheels ever so slightly and they're straight as an arrow!
Excellent product! You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with Dirt

Purchased At:   Came with the Bike!

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Dolomite Disc

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 XT dual piston discs,XT/XTR USE XCR seatpost,Rockshox SID air.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ringwood

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, Strong

Weaknesses:    Hub, Cheesy Chrome-Like Decals

Bottom Line:
I got these wheels a few months ago and have put over 100 miles on them since. They weren’t my first choice, but after my LBS explained how the paired spoke technology worked and that they are actually quite strong I gave them a shot. I jumped them off a 3’ ledge a few times and have pounded them down many rock garden down hills with out even a hint of bending or coming out of true. I should also mention that with all my gear I am close to 200 pounds and I’m not one for picking the easiest line (I like air time). I noticed better acceleration and cornering over my 221’s also they are noticeably lighter (How much, I don’t know. I don’t count grams.)

My biggest complaint is the hub. I noticed other reviews of the Dolomite (one model lower) that the hub is not perfect where you mount the rotor. It’s the same for the Urraco’s. It makes it seem that the rotor has a very slight warp. This is on both my front and rear hub. Its very slight, but it dose rub.

I give it 4 flames for both Value and Overall Rating because of the less then perfect hub and cheap skewers. I won’t deduct for the cheesy decals because I can peel them off myself.

Favorite Trail:   Earth