Ritchey WCS wheelset(1998) Wheelset

Richey WCS wheelset(1998)

Submitted by Hank a Cross Country Rider from Catalina, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    *LIGHT*, cool anodized rims/hub, holds true

Weaknesses:    Access to front hub?

Bottom Line:
Originally I bought this wheelset because I wanted a good backup to run slicks for commuting, and keep the others for OR use. The lightness got to me, and I found them to be an advantage OR, so they are my primary set now. Not sure what prior use/abuse they had, but I got them with a slight truing adjustment needed. I haven't had to tweak since. They have proven to be very strong, and once I rebuilt the rear hub, it has been rolling oh-so-smooth! The only downside is that I can't figure how to get into the "sealed" front hub (with a straight-axle QR)... but since it's rolling smooth and free, I'm not worrying about it now. Anyone who might have a tip on getting inside the front, I'd love to hear more :-)

(My high rating considers price I paid for them and use I've gotten from them)

Favorite Trail:   Golder Ranch/50-year network

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Tioga, Mavic 13_?, Sun CR-17's

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Rocket-88

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, build quality, cool design

Weaknesses:    replacement parts hard to find

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset, good balance of weight/rigidity for lighter riders. Stayed true for a long time. Unfortunately, it's been very difficult to find replacement rims and spokes as the miles pile on. Thumbs down to Ritchey for their weak support of a discontinued wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Bike Setup:   Ti Fat City

Submitted by James M a Racer from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1999

Strengths:
Durability

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
When I got these wheels I wieghed 225 and could thrash a back wheel. Since then I've lost 50 LB(woo hoo) and put in a tremendous # of mile loosing it. I live in Austin TX and there is no shortage of baby head and larger rocks. Combined with our hill country it is a wheel tester.
The wheels have been so durable that I rebuilt the front with Ritchy 15/18s and havent had to true it since.
If your big or just rough on wheels this could be your answer.

tresspassing

2 Years

Multiple Mavic/shimano combos

98 M2 crosscountry race ready

Submitted by madEG a Cross-Country Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
beautiful! The blue ano is nicely done.
They roll forever, and the build was sound.

Weaknesses:
None yet. The lessoned brace angle of the rear hub, by way of moving the non-ds flange in, may prove to be a problem... but so far the benefit of having an easier time lacing up the wheels should prove to be worth it in the long run.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these from Performance bikes on sale for $215! They roll super fast and are pretty light. With skewer's, the weight is about 1900 grams, The came nicely tensioned and I expect them to remain so for a while... They also (kind coincidence) match the cobalt blue ano of my bikes front trangle perfectly. Other asyms that I dealt with were easier to true making this an easier wheelset for the amateur mechanic to own... not that they will ever need truing... (I hope)

ssshhhhh....

less than 1 month

mavic crosslands
xt-217's
stxrc-zac 19's

99 Hardland XC model, 99 Manitou Xvert, and RS deluxe rr-shock. Specialized strong arm cranks, xtr rear cassette, sachs pc61 chain...