Ritchey o r c Wheelset

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

o r c

Submitted by D W a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Strengths:    Very robust and reliable.Wheels came as standard on bike. Nearly 4 years later with thousands of miles under the saddle including many multi- day epics, they have been absolutely trouble free. Haven't suffered from pinch flats or losing shape, only minor truing of wheels needed occasionally

Weaknesses:    None ....so far - Walls are starting to show signs of wear now, but this is hardly surprising given the life they've had. They have served me well - would definately consider using them again.

Bottom Line:
Have had to replace various bits through natural (and unnatural) wear and tear, upgraded other bits to improve performance, but have never had to worry about these wheels. If and when they finally go I will probably be upgrading to discs. They owe me nothing and really have done the business. 5/5 on both counts.

Favorite Trail:   Karrimor,Wales

Similar Products Used:   none needed

Bike Setup:   '99 Rockhopper A1 FS Comp: LX/XT bits, MXComp forks,XCR seatpost,WTB saddle etc. etc.

Submitted by James Deatherage a Cross Country Rider from Everett, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Strengths:    very strong rim, I have hammered on these guys and yes Im a pretty light guy (180lbs) I still ride hard...and these babys have held up

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I recently turned these wheels into tubeless by using Stans www.notubes.com magic liquid....and I havn't looked back since...no flats in three months and counting!!!!....I would recommend these to riders who have problems bending ordinary rimms cause these badboys are tuff!

Favorite Trail:   Southridge (Corvallis, OR)

Purchased At:   CYCLOTOPIA

Similar Products Used:   mavics (low end) and your basic wheelsets

Bike Setup:   Large F3000SI, Nothing is stock on this bike so maybe thats why my review is a satisfied one...I have a XT bottom bracket w/ Richey WCS crankset, XTR shifters and derailers w/ Goretex cables and housings (cause I live in the wet Pac NW), Hope C2 disc brakes (thats right a closed system and I love em') Richey OCR Disc specific wheelset that I've made tubeless (that really rocks!!) And the rest is pretty common stuff like a Terry Fly saddle and Titec straight bar w/ richey wcs bar ends...

Submitted by Troy a Cross Country Rider from SLC

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Dollar for Dollar, about as good as you can get!

Weaknesses:    They are not $800 Mavics

Bottom Line:
At 205 lbs, I have absolutely hammered on these wheels. In six months I have put nearly 1000 miles on my poor Rockhopper. There are some sweeeet trails here in the SLC area and trust me, I ride them as hard as anybody! I have had only a handfull of pinch flats. I have not broken any spokes, and my wheels are still relatively true. I'm going to retire the Hopper next year in favor of a Jumper, I only hope the OEM Mavic X225's serve me as well as my Ritcheys have. Five Flamers for Value and 4 for Overall because I know they are not the greatest wheels on the planet!

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Tioga, Cheap Mavics

Bike Setup:   2000 Rockhopper Comp, Raceface crank/chainrings, Cane Creek S-2, Avid Arch Rivals.

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Centreville,VA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    they look good and are disc

Weaknesses:    a little heavy but deal with

Bottom Line:
try them,they are different, take some getting used to though

Favorite Trail:   the ones with dirt!

Purchased At:   got off ebay

Similar Products Used:   none like these

Bike Setup:   a compelet custom cannondale werth about 3500

Submitted by Biker d00d a Downhiller from scotland

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Strengths:    came with bike, Can be straightened with one good kick in the offending spot to get me home

Weaknesses:    i Think the weakness of these wheels were the fact that the wheel builder was crap cos this is my second set of these and my first set were on a hard tail but ive now got them on a full sus and they are buckling and thank good for the disks or the would have been off ages ago oh and the fact that they only made the top of the rim yellow and not the sidewalls of the rim

Bottom Line:
These rims could be good wheels if they had been built by a good wheel builder but as it is one good kick and they are staight enough to ride home with and then a few good tweeks with the spoke key and im off bak up the hill they get there chillis for there straightenaABILLITY