Performance Forte Loco Wheelset

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Designed to take all the abuse you can dish-out the Loco wheelset is a freerider's dream.

• Get extra front wheel stiffness

Submitted by greenej12295 a Weekend Warrior from Kannapolis

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid wheel and hub. I ride daily and haven't had any issues. I weigh a little over $200 and my hardtail takes a beating.

Weaknesses:    None. Does anyone know where to get new bearings? Performance said they didn't know?

Bottom Line:
Good for price. Just need to know where to order bearings to keep these wheels in top shape. Or if anyone knows the size so I can order them from a bearing factory?

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB SpeedDisc w/ Shimano Deore hubs

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500

Submitted by Erikober a Downhiller from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2008

Strengths:    Great Value. Good performance. QR or 20 mm front.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I would recommend these wheels to any hard rider on a smaller budget who doesn't really care about weight(even though they are not too heavy). They hold up well even to Downhilling and Dirt jumping.

Favorite Trail:   The A

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Rhyno Lites, which broke.

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed hardtail with LOCO's, '08 Dirt Jumper 1, Hayes stroker Trails, LX cranks. DB stem with Truvativ bars.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from OC

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    A good looking(until stickers fall off that is) and very sturdy wheelset that, for the price, is hard to beat. That and they are very versatile therefore dont limit what fork you can put on your ride.

Weaknesses:    They arent light and I recommend having performance true them about every 2 months.

Bottom Line:
A good buy for the warrior on a budget.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Rhyno Lite, Alex

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0, XT/SRAM drivetrain, Avid 7" discs, Psylo fork.

Submitted by Aaron a Downhiller from Los Gatos, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    cheap price, 20mm/10mmQR convertible front hub with no play, decent weight.

Weaknesses:    crappy spokes, or the eyelets are not sized right- preventing the nipples from tilting enough, causing the spokes to kink out of the nipples.

Bottom Line:
got these for super cheap (1/2 price, on sale). the rear needed truing pretty often, and I had the set tuned after about 5 months. then after 11 months, the spokes started breaking in the nipples. I mean like one every ride-no exaggeration. this has only been on the rear- the front has held up OK, but appears to have the same nipple/spoke issue, and I do land jumps smoothly and not sideways or anything. so after replacing 7 or 8 spokes I'd had enough and ditched these and got the wheelset I've always wanted-mavic 823's with Hadleys-OOOOH YEAH!
Bottom line-only buy these on sale at 1/2 price and only expect a year on the rear! value rating is based on the sale price-which they have pretty often.

Favorite Trail:   downieville

Purchased At:   Pperformance

Similar Products Used:   mavic F219 w/onyx hubs (great set), mavic 823 w/ hadley's (hardly similar)

Bike Setup:   '05 heckler-beefy build

Submitted by Chad Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    It holds up well and looks badass. Have option of 20mm thru as well

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
I tacoed my stock front wheel and these were on sale so I bought them. They look really good on my bike, making it look mean, haha. I ride anything I can, from rocky climbs, rocky downhills, urban assult, XC, anything, and although they are a bit heavy for some of what I ride, I cant afford two wheel sets, but these work fine for everything. I have trued (sp?) them once in two years, and only because it came with a tune up. Now, the front wheel/tire is a little off camber though, I dont know what thats about. I like them, but would not run them on a hardcore XC race bike or anything, because of the weight. 4 flamers for that reason.

Bike Setup:   05 K2 Lithium 3.0 that is now a lardass

Submitted by Ken from San Joe, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    Decent looking, Fairly strong

Weaknesses:    None, yet

Bottom Line:
Pretty good for an $80 front wheel! Maybe it's a little heavy but the price is right. Took it to Tahoe and did a 29 mile epic (Toad's, Corral) including drops, technical rock gardens, log rides, etc and the wheel is still rolling true. Took off those Loco stickers for the stealth look. So far so good.

Similar Products Used:   Velocity Cliffhangers, various Mavic

Bike Setup:   1X9 SC Heckler, Z1 RC2, DHX5.0 Coil, Front wheel - Loco 20mm, Rear King hub on Velocity Cliffhanger rim

Submitted by Andy Green a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Strong.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review from last year. I'm riding a Stumpy now and the first change I made was to put the Loco wheels on in place of the weak Mavic 317\s. It's been three years on these wheels now and I have never had a pinch flat, never broken a spoke, never had to true the wheels. My rear shock blew up on a big drop last week but the wheels didn't even blink.
Highly recommended for recreational XC, almost any DH, anyone who values reliability; too heavy for serious/racer XC.

Favorite Trail:   PQ Canyon area

Similar Products Used:   Alexrims TD17, Mavic 317

Bike Setup:   2006 Stumpy FSR, XT dual control/cranks/drivetrain

Submitted by stufdptato a Weekend Warrior from redwood city, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    price, looks, hubs alright, solid axle option, plain jane finish

Weaknesses:    weight, stickers ready to slide off after first degreaser spray down, spokes

Bottom Line:
in truth, i only got these cause i talked myself out of more expensive Mavics for some low-end sturdy and in my opinion good looking Locos. durability aspect outweighs weight disadvantage.... or so I thought till I broke a spoke and bent the rear wheel after a short-lived romp behind the local community college. they actually stood-up to lots of abuse beforehand, so maybe i just hit a curb wrong... (and the hubs run pretty smooth for $80 dollar rims)

my advice? if you a sub $1000 dent-magnet built to last that shrugs off big crashes and pants for more (i.e. my loyal Hoss), these totally fit the bill (don't forget to Goo-Gone those Loco stickers before you install - it sucks to hear your buddy say "hey man, I think your rim decals are flapping"). but if you have a smooth n luxo xc rig or serious DH/Freerider, chances are you spent a pretty penny - follow suit, don't be cheap, and buy something else (i.e. the Mavics or Chris King setups you really want)

4 value rating for price price price, looks and hubs, 3 overall cause my rear bent & chucked a few spokes way too soon

Favorite Trail:   Methuselah, Skegg's

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   shimano ryhnolites, cannondale stock something or others

Bike Setup:   a meteor-proof Kona Hoss: 05 Marzocchi Bombers, CC S4, Klump & Easton peripherals, Avid rotors, Panaracers, Hussfelts, everything else pretty stock. I'm only 5' 5", 145lbs, so yeah, it's like riding a rhino. But what a rhino it is!

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from La Jolla, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap, Strong

Weaknesses:    Kinda heavy not bad tho

Bottom Line:
This is a very good deal out there for the casual DH/FR'er, they are decently strong, i have never had to true mine, even after casing a 16 ft double. But you gotta remember that you get what you pay for, dont expect the greatest wheel in the world, I absolutely love my set. Prolly good for an intro DHer thats on a budget. Have fun!

Similar Products Used:   not sure havent demo'ed to many wheels

Bike Setup:   2001 Santa Cruz Bullit,

Submitted by SDCADBIKER a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    Strong!! Super-freakin' strong!

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy and I got sick of snapping spokes on the Alexrims that came with my bike. I tried Mavic, same problem for lots more money! In desperation I bought these Locos on sale ($120/pair) at Performance two years ago and never looked back! These wheels have been hammered and have been completely problem-free, never even needed to be trued. The rims are a little heavy for fast XC or racing, but the reliability more than makes up for that.

Favorite Trail:   PQ canyon area