Nuke Proof Atom Bomb One-Piece Wheelset

3.47/5 (15 Reviews)

Nuke Proof Atom Bomb One-Piece

Submitted by Dropman a Downhiller from Prince George, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    solid rims

Weaknesses:    rear hub

Bottom Line:
all was going well until 3rd day out just finishing up my ride riding down the road and the rear hub snaps out. From what i've heard they got a *bad batch* but who knows was working fine till than.

Similar Products Used:   doublewides, rhino Lites

Bike Setup:   Kenda Kollasol 2.6 rear, Michilen 2.8 front, Bombshell Fatboy rims

Submitted by jt a Downhiller from grand rapids, mi

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2001

Strengths:    I personally haven't had any problems.

Weaknesses:    Customer support is not available.

Bottom Line:
After reading some of the reviews here I felt the need to share some info. I have two wheelsets built with these hubs. One of them is the very first Warhead set built. I have about 3000 miles on them and they still ride fine. I have had to true them once or twice, but that's not unusual of any wheel. I also haven't had any problems with my freehubs. BTW, the freehubs used are standard Shimano LX. Any LBS should be able to help with any problems there.

As far as I know Nuke Proof is out of business. I drive by the building that housed them almost every day and haven't seen a light on in months. The last I heard they were looking to license the name. The wheels were always pretty solid, but the customer service in that place was unbelievably bad. Lack of attention to its customers killed what could have been a great company. It really is a shame. How do I know? I used to work there.

Favorite Trail:   thompson & mouse in tsali

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Variuos high end sets.

Bike Setup:   Santa Crux Heckler ready for urban assualt

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Strengths:    Velocity rims

Weaknesses:    Everything about the rear hub design

Bottom Line:
I am updating my review below of the NukeProof Warhead wheelset as I have received multiple e-mails concerning problems people are having. Please do NOT e-mail me with issues concerning your wheelset or how to get a response from Nukeproof. There is nothing I can do for you and I think Nukeproof is out of business. The warranty wheelset was no better than the first. The rear free-hub seized up in less than a couple of months of use just like the original did. I never could get in touch with Nukeproof, so I did what I should have in the first place and bought some CHRIS KING hubs. Best decision I ever made.

Similar Products Used:   None this bad

Bike Setup:   Racer-X

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, nice rims, large bearings, easy to take apart, good looks, customer support

Weaknesses:    Originally had issues with free-hub / bearings, but seems to have been resolved by Nukeproof.

Bottom Line:
I posted a review awhile back when I started experiencing grinding / creaking in the free-hub. Fortunately, Nuke-proof took care of the issue and does seem to care about supporting their product. The wheels are very smooth and have only required light truing after about a month of riding which is not unusual. The Velocity rims are very solid and the A-sym rear is a nice choice.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, LX

Bike Setup:   2001 RacerX, XTR, RaceFace, etc

Submitted by johnny a Cross Country Rider from mi

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Light, easy to maintain, Great Customer service!!!!

Bottom Line:
I love thease wheels! They are sweet! I have been riding them hard, I also have a pair laced to snow cat rims and they have been great all winter riding 3-4 days a week in the snow! I will recomend them to anybody.
IGNORE THE POOR REVIEWS ON THIS PAGE THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY
MAD TYPE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN AROUND BIKING FOR LONG.
I have have been riding and building wheels for 21 years and thease things rule.

Submitted by Rainshadow from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, quite light (same weight as spinergy M2 spox), plenty tough so far. I am reviewing the Nuke Proof "Warhead" wheelset: 32h double butted, alloy nipples, Bombshell carbon hubs, mystery rim (maybe a SUN?).

Weaknesses:    Don't come built that round, need a good truing after the first 100 miles or so, but that's normal. Bearing preload not adjustable or I can't figure out how. If anybody knows how, please email me!

Bottom Line:
I got a screaming deal on these online, and I have not been disappointed. My bro at the shop has a wheelset built w/ 2nd-generation Bombshell carbon hubs, and his wheels (28h, Mavic 517, double butted, alloy nipples) are the lightest wheels yet to be weighed at the shop. My hubs are "third generation", have larger flanges & larger diameter axle than his, and weigh a good 125g more per wheel, most likely due to the rim & 4 extra spokes. The front bearings are a little loose now, so the wheel clicks back and forth a tiny bit, but this is hardly noticeable and the hub is smooth as butter. The rear doesn't click, but it's not as smooth as the front. These wheels came a little out-of-round at the factory, and the rear needed a good truing after about 30 miles- lots of pinging out of the box. Nuke Proof didn't use spoke-prep on them when they built them, and one of the nipples on the rear came smashed into a trapezoidal shape. I was still able to true them up alright, and it's holding true fine. The front didn't need truing until after ~100 miles, and survived a crazy crash on a train trestle hardly the worse for wear. It was also out-of-round, but trued up quite nice. They're harsher by far than my Spinergy's as far as shock absorption goes, but they're plenty tough so far. And, @ ~$200 for the pair, an excellent, excellent deal. (Thanks Slyfox!)

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek

Purchased At:   online, cris fox

Similar Products Used:   Spinergy Spox

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo, 99' Zoke Atom bomb, xtr, raceface, thomson, GEAX

Submitted by Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    STILL drool resistant, starting to look better covered in trail dust, STIFF, STIFF, STIFF

Weaknesses:    cause PROUD owners like myself to post reviews every 3 months

Bottom Line:
Update- Just had my Warheads trued for the first time in 8 months and MANY, MANY miles since my last review. Man, what amazing wheels. The hubs are still as smooth as BUTTAH and that STOUT feeling never leaves me. Some of my buddies ride Bontrager/King setups and carry ON and ON about the King's racketey rear hubs, but they never seem to eager to brag about their ultralight wheels always being outta true. 'Nuff said, I'm off to blow up yet ANOTHER trail somewhere in Texas. Out.

Favorite Trail:   I find a new one every month

Purchased At:   West U Schwinn, Rice Village, Houston, TX

Similar Products Used:   nothing spectacular

Bike Setup:   Psycle Werks with Z1 Alloy, 4/5 inches travel F/R, PHAT spec

Submitted by jt a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    freehub froze up w/ minimal use

Bottom Line:
Bike from Airbomb is great,but the rear hub on the airbomb/nukeproof is as described by the 1-2 flame reviews below. Believe them. Less than 100 off-road miles and the internals are dust. Had similar problem with pulstar, but used them for 2 years before failure. Cannot recommend at any price.

Similar Products Used:   lx,xt,pulstar

Bike Setup:   dekerf

Submitted by Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Strengths:    WAY cheaper than other high end wheelsets, rebuildable, Shimano freehub internals, STILL drool resistant (see review below), SOLID feel, cross-lacing for strength means less truing than ultralight Mavic's, Rolfs, Bontragers and MORE time on the trails! PRIMO customer support form Jeff @ Nuke (thanks, Bro)!

Weaknesses:    bearrings a little stiff for first 3 rides, almost TOO fine to leave all dirty from long rides

Bottom Line:
Okay, so I FINALLY got my dream rig completed 6 months ago and have since been bashing my Nukes in BLISS ever since. They seemed kinda tight once we got them skewered into my bike, and it seemed to be an on again, off again occurrance. One phone call to Jeff at Nukeproof assured me that the bearrings were indeed a little snug, and that IF they didn't smooth up, a new pair would be shipped pronto. So, I just set my skewers a little looser than usual and hammered. Three rides later, I could crank my QR's down snug with NO worries. They DO NOT FLEX! I only go about 140 pounds, but I don't ride small. I bash and bash and bash these wheels into oblivion, and I'm thrilled to say they don't even look like they need truing. Sure, maybe some heavier guys might beat them a bit out of shape, but I did a full day of practice runs at a Dual Slalom/ DH run in Smithville and they never looked worse for wear. They are smoother than ever, and they look SINISTER when compared to other chi-chi offerings on the market. They might not be as light as my buddy's Rolfs, but then, I'm not dropping my rig off at the shop once a month for niggling, ride-time consuming truings, either. They roll just fine, and when the first rebuild comes this winter, I'll upgrade the freehub to XT internals, which is a HUGE plus when on the road and something breaks (shops will stock the parts). Stop sweating the grams. My long travel rig comes in at a shade over 26 pounds (with coils F/R- air? what's AIR?) and I totally credit that to these wheels and other simple, light, tough parts you'll find my reviews of elsewhere. I sort of expect some parts to have break-in periods, so the stiffish bearrings don't affect my rating; especially since it never became a problem. And the whole Nukeproof/ Bomber theme I have going on is just TOO pimpin'. Out.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch, Smithville, TX

Purchased At:   West U Schwinn, Rice Village, Houston, TX

Similar Products Used:   various Shimano/Bontrager combo's

Bike Setup:   Psycle Werks WH, 'Zoke Z1, Tru Vativ Stylos w/XT drivetrain, 4/5 inches travel F/R, so they NEED to be tough!

Submitted by Lukas Gaffey a Cross Country Rider from Cincinatti, OH

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    I weigh 170, these wheels lasted about ywo months before the bearings went bad, in fact the inner race on the drive side cracked. Rumor was that the bearings had been over hardened, seems sketchy to me. Also the spokes on the drive side started to bend near the hub. The wheels ride great, when everything is working, but I would never buy another pair!

Bottom Line:
sorry to say they rode great but lasted the least amount of time out of all the wheels I have tried.

Favorite Trail:   Ceasers Creek

Similar Products Used:   various shimano, mavic, ritchey

Bike Setup:   DBR, manitou, xt,

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, very smooth and quiet, Excellent customer support from Nukeproof

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
So far I am very pleased with the Warhead wheelset. They are light weight and very smooth. Also, John at NukeProof is great as far as customer support goes.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Similar Products Used:   Various Mavic / Shimano combinations

Bike Setup:   Spooky Darkside, Arch Supremes, Chris King, Everything RaceFace, XTR, etc.

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from Arlington

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    Cool looks

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
Could be the worst product I've ever tried. I rode the things for less than three months. After the first week the bearings started making noises, then the entire free wheel stuck. All this comes from a wheel not even three months old. To make matters worse Nproof service department sucks and haven't lifted a finger to help me out. Best of all my roomy got an atom bomb a few days after me and guess what, he's having the same problems. Take it from me, don't ever get anything Nproof makes, sure the stuff looks good but it sure as hell don't last. -chili

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Similar Products Used:   LX/XT/XTR wheelsets

Bike Setup:   FAT YO Eddy

Submitted by Taylor C a Weekend Warrior from Texas, Y'all

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Strengths:    a DECADE of Nuke's R & D, stealthy BLACK everything won't clash with the tires, chubby good looks, laser-etched logos, lighter than most everything on the market (and TOTALLY stronger!), DROOL resistant, affordable (imagine THAT!)

Weaknesses:    haven't ridden them yet, only drooling thus far...

Bottom Line:
Okay, so I have yet to ride on them as my college budget only allows so many major purchases every semester. So far, they are able to turn me into a slobbering FOOL with one glance, and the blackness goes with everything. They ARE lighter than almost anything on the market, and while I cannot yet testify to it, I'm willing to wager they don't FLEX like my buddy's (radial-laced) Bontrager Race Lites, which cost TWICE as much. Component group just came via UPS, so I'll update with the test-romp soon. Three incomplete chili's for drool-factor alone...

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Creek Ranch, TX