Novatec Diablo Wheelset

• Versatile MTB wheels specially designed for enduro, 4x and freeride.
  • Offering total flexibility with Novatec’s 4in1 front & rear hubs.
  • Easily change from standard QR to 9mm Thru QR, 15mm QR &
  • 20mm Thru axle on front and standard QR, 10mm Thru QR, Thru axle, 12mm Thru axle & X12 Thru axle on rear.
  • Sapim nipples with POLYAX / S.I.L.S. (Sapim Inside Lock System) prevent tension loss and spoke bending at nipple.
  • For high stiffness built with Sapim Race extra strong double butted stainless spokes.
  • Welded rim with single eyelets for high durability.
  • Front 872g
  • Rear 1011g

Submitted by greenblur

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2013

Strengths:    I have the 2013 set in 26", which is slightly different than what is shown above.

Very good engagement, nearly as good as my Torch's. Seem to be a good balance between weight and strength.
Steel bite guard integrated into the aluminum freehub body. Very clever idea.
Nice Sapim double butted spokes with alloy nipples, also contrasting spoke/nipples at the valve hole.
Can convert the front and rear to any axle configuration. All adapters plus 5mm and 10mm skewers included.
Converting axle caps requires no tools.
Graphics are baked on somehow via heat transfer? They are not stickers or paint and look like they will hold up much better.
Tubeless conversion is simple. My Maxxis Aspen took just tape and Stan's juice. My Bonty XR4 needed a Bonty rim strip and Stan's juice. XR4's have been this way with every rim I've tried.
They are mega-loud, which I like.
They had good, even tension from the factory (unlike any OEM or Stans wheel I've had).

Weaknesses:    Only comes with red hubs and red/black graphics. Graphics cannot be removed if you don't like them. They match my bike, so I don't mind.
They are mega-loud, which not everyone likes.
Novatec's dealer network is not that well established yet. May be hard to find in stock or get warranty support.
Novatec's website has basic info but no technical support on things like tubeless setup or recommended maintenance. Not that hard to figure out but would be nice to have.

Bottom Line:
I have about 100 miles on my set and they have been very impressive. I weigh 230 and generally thrash my gear. So far, they feel up to the task. I appreciate that they thought about little details like the steel bite guard and using quality spokes/nips. At $750, they are a little more than a basic Hope build but much better. I won't claim they are on par with full-custom Hadley/King/I9 build but they are darn close and will cost a few hundred bucks less.

Help with route from Walnut Creek to Mt Diablo

I am hoping to visit the Bay Area in a few weeks with my CrossCheck. Does anyone have a route from Walnut Creek (off Yngacio Vlly and Marchbanks) to Mt Diablo. I am looking for a nice mix of road and dirt. Preferably, the least sketchy road and the least techy dirt!!Read More »

Public Service Anouncement: Ride your MTB UP Mount Diablo, Watch TOC. It's A Hoot!

Public Service Anouncement: Ride your MTB UP Mount Diablo, Watch Tour of California. It's A Hoot! There were thousands of people up there last year. It was a party. And the riders only went 1/2 way up the mountain. This year, they're going all the way up. That's what I call "all mountain." ... Read More »

TOC Stage 7 @ Mt Diablo. Ride a Mountan Bike And Watch Roadies Abuse Themselves.

Soooo, I think this year's Tour of California at Mount Diablo is offering up the opportunity to view a decisive stage finish and get in decent mountain bike ride, all in the same block of time. Since I have no familiarity with the Mt Diablo area, trails, trailheads, viewing spots, etc., I'm goin ... Read More »

Diablo Ride by BTCEB

The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay is leading a Gala Ride for all skill levels on Diablo this Saturday. We split into numerous groups to support skill and stamina levels, each lead by an expert local guide. We ride from about 9:30 to around noon. After the ride we hang out for a bit of so ... Read More »

Mt Diablo MTB Race

Registration opens today. 15 and 18 mile loops available and it sounds like both have "trails normally not open to bikes" aka single track. Description: [url=http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activities_events_dirt.html?utm_source=DDR2013+-+Announcement&utm_campaign=ddr_open&utm_medium=email] ... Read More »