Mavic ST Disc Wheelset 2012 Wheelset

Cross-country technologies smartly adapted to Cross-mountain...

Submitted by eleventhcog

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    strong
graphics
hub engagment

Weaknesses:    hard to seat beads on tubeless tires

Bottom Line:
Mine are the 29er version, 2012 ST's with the redesigned hubs. I weight 160#, ride a Niner RDO. No jumps, but I ride pretty fast, fast enough to definitely stress the frame and wheels in turns, dips, roots, and the occasional rock garden. I have 3 long singletrack rides on these wheels.
I'll compare these wheels to the Hope/Crest/Comp & Supercomp/Maxxis Ikon that I had been using.
These wheels are much heavier. However, when riding, they feel much more secure and confidence-inspiring -- I attribute this to significantly less flex with these wheels, although it could partially be the Schwalbe tires (RaRa/NN Evo snakeskin). Overall, the increased stiffness more than offsets the increased weight and I feel faster and more in-control.
The engagement is good -- feels the same as my Hope SS hub (48 points).
Hub noise is low to moderate -- a little less than the Hope standard and much less than the Hope SS hub.
They seem to roll well & momentum is carried better than my prior set-up I think.
The adapters for the front and rear hubs seem secure and nicely machined. I use the 15mm up front.
The valve stems attach nicely, and have removable cores.
Mounting the Schwalbe's was difficult (even with a compressor) due to the loose tire fit, and this makes me somewhat nervous about the potential for rolling off a tire if I take a chance with lower pressures. Amazingly, after I finally got the Schwalbe's seated, the tires lost no pressure for several days even with no Stan's sealant! Maybe a different tire brand would fit a little more tightly to aid in initial mounting.
Overall, I like them and feel they are an improvement for my terrain. I'll knock off 1 chili for the loose (initial) tire fit, although I'll concede that it could be a Schwalbe issue.