Mavic Deetraks Wheelset

3.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Mavic hadThe Worlds best slopestylers, Bearclaw, Boyko and Zinc,TellThem what was needed for a great freeride wheel, and fromThatThe Deetraks was born.Tough as hell, and great for big mountain freeride, slopestyle, dirt jumping, street riding or whatever,The new Deetraks can do it all. And if you crash and need maintenance, universal replacement parts are easyTo find and will never keep you from riding your bike. Disc brake specific design Rim internal width 25 mm 6106 Aluminum construction

Submitted by mekutto a Downhiller from Rotterdam Holland

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2010

Strengths:    the looks

Weaknesses:    in less then a month i broke the rear hub and i must say that i didn t put it 2 the exteme so that was kind of dissapointing after reading all these reviews here.

Bottom Line:
i dont know what 2 say i thought. I really had the idea that I got something in my hands but its hard for me to trust this wheel anymore. maybe they fix it right but still...

Favorite Trail:   city

Purchased At:   12gotrade

Similar Products Used:   bontrager (even worse) and some other mavics (non problems with those)

Bike Setup:   city

Submitted by snakesterhk a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Strengths:    Don't dent easy. Light enough for a downhill bike.

Weaknesses:    Hubs.

Bottom Line:
Great wheels for the price. I came from a downhill bike with heavier wheels and I was skeptical since I'm hard on equipment. I have dented much heavier rims than these.

6 months of thrashing only one small dent. Very impressed with the strength and price. Not the lightest wheelset but for half the price they are not much heavier than the Deemax.

Now the bad points. These are the 09's and I think they have the freehub sorted but the rear bearings take a bit of care. I have had these constantly loosening on me. I've broken two of the special tools to tighten the rear axle bearings. I had to locktite them after having to tighten them two to three times a ride. The bearings were shot after 6 months. Not terrible but I've definitely ridden on hubs longer than that without changing bearings. Maybe having to tighten the hub so they don't feel loose wore them prematurely. I tried not locktiting them after the rebuild but they are coming loose again. Minor annoyance but annoying still. As I said they don't dent easy but they will come out of true easily. The spokes take some care so that your wheel will stay true. The front hub has a very little side to side play that while very minor still can be felt.

Basically a very good economy wheelset. I think they are respectably light for a dh wheel, strong enough, and when they are tuned roll very nicely. As long as you are willing to do some maintenance they are a good lightweight budget dh wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   5th Horseman

Purchased At:   I have a guy

Similar Products Used:   DT swiss, hope, sun

Bike Setup:   Uzzi vp set up for freeride.

Submitted by CHRIS a Weekend Warrior from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Wheels are bombproof!
The spoke and hub system is super strong, just by looking at them.
Sweet colours.
Cheap!!!

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy? But not insanely heavy. I use them to do xc rides. For the weight/strength ratio its well worth it!

Bottom Line:
I would depend my life on these wheels. So true, so strong. The hubs spin for a super long time too. Very easy to set up.
I got these for $319 at wheelworld, and 2 days later there was a further 20% off. So I missed out on an extra 20% but whatever. $319 is DIRT CHEAP for brand new wheels. If I ever find a problem with them, I'll post another review, but if you don't find another post then I'm probably busy shredding these babies and loving them!

Favorite Trail:   The Hartland

Purchased At:   Wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   Syncros DPS 32
WTB Dual Duty FR

Bike Setup:   06' Giant Reign 2 w/ Fox RP3 shock, Boxxer Ride U-Turn, Deetraks.

Submitted by lostmike a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff,

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is junk... rebuild parts cost around $100. and a few weeks later the slop in the hub was back... so i cut out the mavic. Hub and replaced it with a DT swiss Hub...

Bottom Line:
in the bike world you get what you pay for... get something with better hubs...

Favorite Trail:   one with dirt

Purchased At:   Online Ret.

Similar Products Used:   SUN Single trax

Bike Setup:   Kona CoilAir - Marz AM1 - Hayes Breaks - XT D.T. ( 6" trail bike )

Submitted by Courtney a Cross Country Rider from Little Rock, Arkansas

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Study not too heavy. Cheap replacement warranty.

Bottom Line:
Buy the rims no matter what your riding style is. I'm 310lb and they are awesome

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle Rims XT hubs

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fantik

Submitted by Si Blackwood a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, not too expensive, forgiving

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
These wheels were Dirt cheap for what you get, Haven't noticed aby difference in pinned rims from welded rims thus far (i've been riding more than 10 years)i've also read loads of reviews of people saying the freewheel sucks - not had ANY trouble at all in the two years i've had them, never once had to true em either, i am a pretty rough rider and give them a lot of stick and they just keep going, these wheels are a fantastic bargain that will not let you down! if you have the money to buy DeeMax and race downhill then buy them but in all honesty unless you're Peaty, your probs not gonna need any better that the DeeTraks!

Favorite Trail:   Any Dirty fellas!

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Halo Combat, Halo SAS, Singletracks, some bontragers...

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker 6" Custom build - TFTuned PUSH industries vanilla RC with race system (PUSH-propedal) Deetraks,Drop off 3 150mm fork, lx all round mechs/shifters, Avid Code 08 205 front 185 rear

Submitted by Vineet Sharma a Downhiller from Chandigarh, UT, INDIA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2007

Strengths:    Super Strong wheelset, Looks awesome, Precision

Weaknesses:    The rear hub could have been made more bad ass. And the decals on the rims could have been made with a some more nice quality material as mine have been messed up.

Bottom Line:
Very neatly made wheelset , bombproof, and does not go no where. If you can afford Deemax..buy this only.

Favorite Trail:   Kasauli DH trail

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Earl

Bike Setup:   Full Sus bike with Marzocchi 66VF-2, Manitou Swinger 6 way, Sram X.0, Mavic Deetraks

Submitted by timish horbay a Downhiller from edmonton alberta canada

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    very strong
bend a little instead of snapping
great hubs
easy to true
no busted spokes yet

Weaknesses:    heavy as hell
your buddies who have deemax's will laugh at you

Bottom Line:
very solid. not as light (relitive term) or sexy as the deemax but just as strong. They bend instead of breaking which means you can ride out instead of walking a cracked rim on a ride, plus you have a chance to fix it.

the hubs are great, they run fast and dont wear out (1.5 seasons at whistler and i still havent done any maintenance)

STRONG

Favorite Trail:   dirt merchant

Purchased At:   garbanzo bike and bean

Similar Products Used:   deemax
mavic ex729 (aka the d321) on onyx hubs
sun single track
mag 30's

Bike Setup:   whistler ex-rental

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Concord, NH

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    Nice inexpensive set of wheels from a good company.

Weaknesses:    FREEHUB....I know of at least 2 other people with these wheels and they all say the same thing. If you want this wheels to work stellar, they will need to be rebuilt after every ride.

Bottom Line:
These wheels seemed to be a good value and from everything I read, people were enjoying them. A week after getting them I was riding in a group ride and noticed another rider using them. I asked what he thought and immediately the freehub was the topic of discussion. He had a rebuild kit (pawls, springs, and oil) in his car and said he has had to use it more then once. He loved the wheels but hated the constant maintenance they needed. Well I figured I wouldn't be using them that much (I am an XC rider so the FR bike doesn't see a ton of usage) so I should be set. I was wrong. Was riding yesterday and I heard some weird noises coming from the rear wheel. Not a huge deal because everything seemed to be working fine. A couple of runs later and everything locked up. My 9-speed FR bike was suddenly rendered a SS fixie. I took the chain off and glided down the mountain to see what was up. Tried to unengage the freehub but its stuck solid. Off to the shop to tear it down. I wouldn't recommend these wheels unless you like to spend more time working on your bike then riding it.

Favorite Trail:   Old Webs

Purchased At:   Mavic

Similar Products Used:   Kings, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Switch SL

Submitted by Marque a Downhiller from Arcata, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap, Decent weight... Not too heavy to be a pain on the uphill anyway... Really solid feeling for the most part, not alot of flex when taking side loads like squirrely landings... launched a 12 stair to flat and they didnt give me much trouble, so theyre alright in my book.

Weaknesses:    Engagement is kinda slow, has more play between points of engagement than most mid-high end hubs... Weak rear hub, axels tend to bend and break easily, and the overall design of the hub is a sort of ardvark concept when looking at it when its taken apart (doesnt make much sense)

Bottom Line:
Cheap set of wheels, decent but require a fair amount of complex maintenance... ya get what ya pay for. Mavic should just stick with making rims.

Favorite Trail:   Gross Anatomy

Purchased At:   Revolution Bicycle Repair

Similar Products Used:   Woodman Hubs laced to ex-721s, Chris King hubs laced to ex-721s, shimano xt hubs laced to rhyno lytes, all using dt swiss straight gauge spokes.

Bike Setup:   Used deetraks on both Azonic Steelhead (singlespeed) and Giant S.T.P. dj 1, x.o. Raceface, etc.

Submitted by Ken Bennett a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Strengths:    Solid rims, smooth hubs.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit heavy for trail riding.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are unreal. They cost half as much as DeeMax but have almost identical performance. The only difference is the rim itself which cuts the weight down quite a bit but how much does that work out per gram? More than I can justify paying, plus the black paint is easier for me to handle than dayglo yellow. I've had these wheels for over 3 months and so far I've managed to get 3 pinch flats (2 rear, 1 front) and pounded the wheel into rocks without any problems. No flat spots, no loose bearings. I've only had to true the rear wheel once after putting the der. into it. They roll fast, for a DH wheel, and it's easy to get tires on and off. Definitely a good alternative to having wheels built for you unless you already have some high end hubs. If you ride hard, these may be what you need.

Favorite Trail:   So. Mtn

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Various hand built wheelsets, DeeMax.

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky Primo

Submitted by martin a Weekend Warrior from van., bc , canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    Strong as hell, stiff and stay true even after my hack-a-thon at Whistler. Same hubs as Deemax. Price.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great set of wheels for the $$$. There are better wheelsets out there but not for this price. Deemax's Mini Me...Killer looks (thank god it's not that gawdy yellow). Stiff, strong, stay true, roll well. A bit on a heavy side - for a reason, though. The entire set is just about 100 grams heavier than my old Singletracks w/XT rear hub and generic 20mm front hub. Buy them, you won't be sorry. Pinned joint on the hoop - time will tell if it matters (doubt it will in my case). 5 chillies overall.

Favorite Trail:   No Joke