Mavic DeeMax Wheelset

Use: MTB Downhill riding and racing
  • Weight: 9 mm front axle 1160 grams, 20 mm front axle 1070 grams
  • Maxtal SUP welded rim, yellow Mavic coating
  • Integrated freewheel hub with FTS system
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings
  • 8/9 speed HG compatible freewheel
  • Stainless steel straight spokes, brass nipples
  • 36 spokes crossed 4

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bjereb a All Mountain Rider from Santa Rosa, CA. 95409

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
    I wouldn't spend another dollar and the crap that Mavic makes, crap products that don't last is why there is no direct contact with Mavic for customer service THEY DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THIER PRODUCTS AFTER THEY ARE SOLD..... I've spent $3000 on Mavic wheels for my Road and mtb, crossmax XL - 5" cracked rear rim along spokes? WTF, why would a double wall rim crack along spokes...cheap metal and crappy engineers and of course, "sorry, After i finally got in touch with Mavic, they said nothing they can do" this is the crapi get from the bike shop, again because Mavic doesn't have customer service. OK, so i read all the hype about Mavic NEW DEEMAX, bombproof, blah, blah, blah.... Still the same under engineered crap that broke faster than my Crossmax XL's. This time i went to the bike shop and i'm told they have REENGINEERED THE FREEHUB, ok so the crap they sold for $1000 is now found to have a problem...MAVIC's SOLUTION, charge $150 for a redesigned freehub that now requires you to switch axels and to switch axels you need to replace bearings (another $50).....the new part should have been free AND the kit should include the bearings to do the job....... I'M THE DUMBA$$ THAT BOUGHT THIS FRENCH CRAP, DON'T BE A DUMBA$$ TOO.................................MAVIC SUCKS.......................

Favorite Trail:   Annadel State Park

Submitted by vanoot a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Aboslutely solid rims.
    Realitivly Lightweight.
    Tubeless Tires seat very well (even without sealent).
    Strong as hell.
    True well if ever needed.

Weaknesses:    Stickers scratch.

Bottom Line:
    These are my favourite rims of all time. You can run very low pressures on tubeless tires and still put no flat spots in them. I am a smaller rider, but these rims have been hucked over drops and gaps, and raced downhill when my other rims got stolen.

I usually go through at least 1 pair of rims per season, but these are still solid after a season and a half. They are absolutely awesome tubless, and I have never had any problems. When built right, you need to tension them maybe twice a season (if you ride REALY hard). Ive only trued them once because of minor lateral untrueness.

Highly reccomended.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Downhill

Purchased At:   Sponcership

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Specialized Demo 8 Pro, all custom.

Submitted by Jeff a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2005

Strengths:    Bombproof, takes a beating, tubeless

Weaknesses:    Any tires other than tubeless are a pain to mount, not yellow anymore (04 model, some shops do not carry spokes

Bottom Line:
    This wheelset is bombproof, I rode all last season 5 days a week 6-8 hours per day at Deer Valley and never had a problem. The only slight problem I had was a crash at the first race of the season. The bike cartwheeled down the trail about 25-30 feet, slight wave in the rim and six of the spokes were loose. Had the shop true and replace them, I haven't had a problem since. I could attribute that strength of the rims or to the true job by the shop so. If you want to and are worried about durability have your shop look them over before you mount them. The only real glaring problems with this wheelset is the difficulty of mounting the tires especially if you do not want to use tubeless, I took the sin off 5 knuckles trying to mount Kenda Nevegals so in the intrest of my hands health I bought Michelins. Tubeless tires go on much easier, and the spokes some shops do not carry them. So 5 chilis for value and 4 chilis for overall since my knuckles still haven't forgiven me.

Favorite Trail:   anything lift or shuttle assisted

Purchased At:   employee purchase

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   Azonic eliminator, Junior T with super T conversion

Submitted by LUKE a Downhiller from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    LIGHT,TUBELESS,LOOK COOL,FAST ROLLING

Weaknesses:    NOT AS STRONG AS ANTICIPATED,STICKERS SCRATCH OF EASILY,HIGH MAINTAINANCE,135MM REAR END ONLY AND NO BOLT THRU OPTIONS ON REAR

Bottom Line:
    BUY THIS WHEEL IF YOU ARE A RACER WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND GO TUBELESS,HOWEVER THEY ARENT IN MY HUMBLE OPINION UP TO THE RIGOURS OF MODERN FREERIDE,YEAH YOU SEE THE PRO FREERIDERS WITH THEM ON BUT I BET THEY GET NEW ONES ALL THE TIME.

Favorite Trail:   HEMLOCK STONE

Purchased At:   LEISURELAKES

Similar Products Used:   HOPE BULBS ON MAVIC OLD STYLE 321S. XT HUBS ON SUN BIG MAMMOTHS,DEORE HUBS ONTO SUN DITCH WITCH RIMS

Bike Setup:   DEMO8,E13,MARZ 888,

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Strengths:    Its UST

Weaknesses:    Bends easily, hard to mount non UST tires with a DH casing, The bearings arent very good, and the silver looks bad. Almost any wheel is better.

Bottom Line:
    Keep in mind that this is a review for the 2004 DeeMax not the 2003 that were actually nice.

I had the DeeMax thinking they would be nice, quickly found out I was wrong. I was having a nice day riding and about mid-day hit a elbow jump that wasnt that big, felt kinda funny when I landed but didnt think much of it.
    At the end of the day I start ridin on some pavement and something didnt feel right, look back at the wheel....2 massive flat spots.

Bottom line the DeeMax is a crappy wheel, it flat spots off of almost nothing and I cant even imagine what would happen off a 20 goot drop. The bearings dont roll that well, very hard to adjust right. And they look a lot worse in silver than they did in yellow.

The only reason Im not giving this wheelset 0 chili's is because it wont let me.

Favorite Trail:   Anything going down

Similar Products Used:   Mavic f219, cheap wheels, but still better than Deemax

Submitted by Griffin a Downhiller from Mill Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Super-strong UST tubeless rims keep the tire on more securely and create a nice cushion to prevent pinch flats. Well-designed front hub easily converts from 9mm QR to 20mm through axle. Rear hub has bolt-on axle, which marrs the frame, but overall creates a very stiff rear end. The freewheel is really loud, which is nice.

Weaknesses:    UST rim causes mounting non-UST tires with DH casing extremely difficult. Deep-V rim construction makes it so non-long stem tubes barely have any valve above the hole, making it very difficult to get the correct amount of PSI in. For average consumers, the pricetag is extremely costly.

Bottom Line:
    If you can get these wheels for cheaper than everyone else, go for it. Otherwise, they're the best wheels money can buy. I've done dozens of shuttle runs and they haven't been anything but straight and true the whole time. Bottom line: get these wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Anything illegal

Purchased At:   Mill Valley Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Outlaw wheelset, handbuilt DH wheels, WTB Laserdisc DH wheels, WTB Dual Duty wheels

Bike Setup:   05 Bullit, 05 66RC, 05 Deemax UST, Hope Mono Minis, XTR cranks and shifter, XT low-normal GS rear derailleur, E.13 STS guide, Easton pedals, Timberwolf 2.5 tires, Azonic bar and stem, Laser V DH saddle

Submitted by Llloyd a Weekend Warrior from Cebu, The Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    Very durable... can take the beatings...

Weaknesses:    None...

Bottom Line:
    I once had an accident during one of my downhill rides... I bumped on a concrete fixture station near the edge of the road... my speed is about 40 kph... my inner tube burst during the impact... after the accident had let my LBS check the rim... there is no deformation found on it... my mavic rims hold through the beating... hehehehehe... way to go mavic...

I plannd to changed my setup to Crossmax but after the accident I had changed my mind and will keep this DeeMax...

Purchased At:   Limbros (Mandaue Branch)

Similar Products Used:   None...

Bike Setup:   SR Suntour XC Pro E front fork, Mosso slalon-M1 frame, Shimano Deore LX FD, Shimano Deore XT RD, Shimano Deore LX shifter, Avid Speed Dial 7 lever, Ameoba Borla control set and stem, Mavic DeeMax wheels, Maxxis Kraken tires, Shimano Deore XT hub, Avid Ball Bearing 5 disc brake (203mm rotor), Shimano Deore Hollowtech crankset, Shimano pedal PD515, Amoeba seat post (carbon fiber), Amoeba saddle

Submitted by Skip a Weekend Warrior from connecticut USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    look nasty, hubs are fast and smooth, lots of freewheel clicking if your an old roady

Weaknesses:    didn't hold true as well as I expected, lots of freewheel clicking if your not an old roady(can be really annoying back at home on the stand trying to listen for brake rub)

Bottom Line:
    Nice looking wheelset I wish they had a smoother curved rim like the D321, SingleTracks and old DeeMax great freeride rim but if your going to go bigger than 10' regular basis I'd recomend somthing else as far as everything else they still scream past my buddies on the decent without peddeling excellent hubs

Favorite Trail:   Guilford,westwoods

Purchased At:   wallingford bike

Similar Products Used:   F219, SingleTracks, SingleWides, D321

Bike Setup:   gemini with Jr.T, Enduro with Black

Submitted by james a Weekend Warrior from tallahassee florida usa

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    light for downhill wheelset
    tubeless
    20mm thru axel

Weaknesses:    umm weak nipples-but that is my fault

Bottom Line:
    these have been bombproof for me the only problems I have had are from trying to tension them myself. needless to say it cost me. I took them to the shop and since they have been fixed. I have had no problems with truing though after i had first purchased them they needed to be after the first month wich is typical of any wheel that is being broken in. My problem was self inflicted,after my instance i had the wheel taken to the shop and the owner contacted mavic for technical advice they replied that the tension on this wheel is not to be very tight that the strength came from the rim itself in relation to the pull of the spokes. I weigh 240 and cannot feel the slightest amount of flex. I ride these wheels hard on urban rides where a 6 foot drop onto flat concrete is common. Trails have nothing on these wheels as that are stunts and jumps in my yard that are seven feet tall. There is some margin for error in a product possibly one lemon for every consumers 100 mistakes don't trash a product because you cannot maintain it. If in doubt take it to the shop and have it fixed by someone who knows what they are doing not someone in their dark shed who may think they have an idea.

Favorite Trail:   SANTOS

Purchased At:   came on custom bike

Similar Products Used:   sun rhino lites on shimano hubs hope on 317's

Bike Setup:   titus 03' Quasi moto with manitau coil 4way and marzocchi z150 xtr derailuer and race face diabolus cranks

Submitted by Fermin Baez a Downhiller from Aguada, PR, US

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Too weak for the application.

Bottom Line:
    I'm talking not just for me but for all the downhill racers I've shared the sport in my region. The original Mavic Deemax wheels, the ones shown in the pic, the ones that came in yellow, they were strong as hell!!! Every weekend I can see that older version of the Deemax mounted on many of the bikes I regularly see going down nasty, tough rock garden sections. And those older Deemax are still true, straight as an arrow, rotating smoothly, virtually indestructible...

...But then something happened, something me and my colleagues cannot understand. Here it came the new version of the Deemax, with new looks. Trusting they would hold up to the reputation of it's predecesor, many riders bought them (including me), at $600.00 a pair more or less. But after not a couple of months of use, new Deemax wheels started to bend, to get loose spokes, to get all screwed up. Mine last week got a nasty, but I mean A NASTY bend!!! So bad it can't even rotate cause it gets stuck between the fork legs. And I didn't even crashed that hard!!! Believe it or not, I'm seeing riders searching everywhere for the old, yellow Deemax, to buy them used. They don't care if they are used, as long as t hey are the old strong as hell Deemax, not the wimpy new version. And I can tell you, I don't recommend this new Deemax for anyone serious about downhilling. They will be a dissapointment in no time. And now I sadly realize there are much stronger wheels for nearly half the price of the new Deemax.

Favorite Trail:   Albergue Olimpico, Salinas, PR

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   First DH wheels since I've been downhilling less than a year.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit with Boxxer fork, Holzfeller single chainring crankset, e-Thirteen chainguide, Kore platform Pedals, Hayes hydro 8" disc brakes, Azonic handle bar, Azonic Love Seat, ODI lock ring grips, XT rear derrailleur, Diabolus stem, and Deemax wheels with 2.7 Kenda DH tires.

Submitted by Brian Buell a Downhiller from Ft. Worth, Tx

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Strengths:    good looking, I have the silver 2003 model. light weight for what they are. Tubeless, seem very strong

Weaknesses:    28 spokes??? a downhill wheel with 28 spokes... come on. ripped a spoke out of the rim landing a jump. constantly have to true, they've never seen a downhill course, I leave them on my Specialized P1.

Bottom Line:
    the biggest thing these wheels have ever seen is a 5 foot drop when I had my Enduro Pro. I have broken that frame and now own a Big Hit Expert, and have stuck with the stock wheels for my 10 foot + flat land drops. The hubs on these wheels are cool, but have a lot of friction. I've tried to adjust the tension out of the bearings with the adjustment ring, but it is either tight or loose, there is no perfect spot. I am a mechanic for a local shop, and I ave ridden a lot of wheels, out of all of them I'm glad I got a killer deal for these wheels, I wouldn't want to spend the real money for them... ever. they're good training/commuting wheels for my P1. even then I can feel some flex in the hubs on the wheels. I built some racing wheels for my P1 with XT rear hub/Mavic X221 rim and GT/Hadley 20mm front hub with Mavic X217 rim and have less flex in those than on my dee max. I am very unhappy. now this review is for the new dee max, not the Yellow 36 hole version.. the real version that did very very well. these new ones with 28 spokes is ridiculus. If you have or are thinking about these wheels, send them back and trade for the crap their smoking.

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Purchased At:   Bicycles Inc.

Similar Products Used:   Sun Single track with Deore Hubs *good wheelset, unbeatable*

Bike Setup:   Specialized P1, Marzocchi DJ II, Deore ders. Dee Max wheels, Maxxis Hook Worm 2.5" tires *awesome*, FSA FR 2.5" rise Hbar, Truvativ Hussefelt cranks, TIME Z Pedals *nothing better*

Submitted by kyle wagner a Weekend Warrior from lacrosse, wi. U.S.A

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Strengths:    bullet proof hubs and rims. overall a great set of wheels. my weight is 220 and I do alot of drops over 6 feet to flat and bunnyhop 180s and they stay straight only had to tru them once when I first got them. no problems since.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
    very, very good wheels.TOUGH!

Favorite Trail:   tnt a(this is not a trail)

Purchased At:   buzz's bikes and boats

Similar Products Used:   big mammoths, sun rynolite

Bike Setup:   03, bullit candy red 03 bomber sl freeride,dee max,chris king headset, azonic shorty,azonic chubby bars, saint crank,xtr rear xt front,mrp,maxis minoins 2.5,thompson post,xt disc 8"

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, laterally rigid, tubeless

Weaknesses:    A bit on the pricey side...

Bottom Line:
    I wanted tubeless to go with my new ride, and I also wanted a very stout wheelset. I saw lots of riders in the Red Bull Rampage using this exact same wheelset for drops and stunts that I will never even try; so I figured they would be strong enough for anything I would ever do!

So far, I have done six foot drops, urban rides, DH courses, and all around trail rides, and they have needed precisely zero attention. No trueing, no hub adjustment, and no bearing slop. The tubeless aspect has also worked very well, I put True Goo in the tires when I first set the bike up, and they haven't leaked more than about 5 psi a month!

These wheels are probably not the strongest on Earth, but look at somr pro DH races, and some of the big freeride events, and you will see a lot of them-heck, even Hans Rey rides them! That is a better endorsement than I could ever give.

Favorite Trail:   Troy Bilt, Fruita, CO

Purchased At:   Mad Duck Adventure Sports

Bike Setup:   '03 Yeti AS-X, Sherman fork, 5th Element rear, Dee Max wheels, XT shift/der., Hayes 8" hydros

Submitted by seth dawson from Fountain Hills, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    I have a major problem with this wheelset. Mavic advertises this wheel as "bullet proof". It is far from it. The rear axle is a "solid" 10 mm thru axle. In reality, there are two low strength 10mm steel bolts threaded into a hollow center axle. These bolts failed catastrophically on me during a race run at Bootleg Canyon. The rear axle sheared as I was taking a small 18 inch drop in a lava field towards the end of the course. I crashed and was banged up a bit, my Turner sustained major damage including a bent frame, dropout, derailleur and totaled disk. I've had the wheel for less than four months.

After looking closely at the axle failure with some metallurgy and design engineers from a major aerospace company, I have some serious concerns about the materials used in this hub. The beach marks on the end of the axle which failed indicate a fully reversed bending fatigue failure. The other side shows overload. There is the possibility of fatigue striations on the edge of the surface. Both the remaining portions of the axle remained tightly bolted to the frame after the failure. Metallurgical analysis showed disturbingly low hardness for the material in the axles. A Rockwell hardness test was conducted on the .314 diameter and the .431 diameter polished surface after calibrating the instrument. The calibration block was Rc 35.49+/-1. Three calibration results provided readings of 35.3 35.5 and 35.5. Hardness measurements on the .314 diameter showed Rockwell readings of 15.8, 16.7 and 17.7. Hardness readings on the .431 polished surface provided a possibly erroneous reading of 2.3.

These hardness readings are typical of aluminum or annealed steel, not hardened or tempered steel that one would expect in the highly stressed axle of a downhill bike. We would expect to see Rockwell harnesses of 30 on hardened steel axles.

I also have a problem with the fit of the sheared portion of the axle into the center hollow section. The threads appeared to fit in a Class II fit or worse. Since any motion in this joint can increase the bending strains, it would seem that this joint should be a very tight fit.

Mavic showed little interest in the problem. They stated that a flat spot on the wheel showed I had taken a big drop which could have broken the axle. They were not interested in the evidence of bending fatigue failure and soft axle material.

Bottom Line:
    I strongly recommend that you buy another product. The rear axle on these wheels can break catastrophically. My axle should not have broken, even under DH racing loads after only four months. Be careful if you are already using these wheels! Check your rear axle for cracks

Favorite Trail:   Sex Offender, South Mountain