Mavic Crosstrail Disc Wheelset

4.04/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 840 grams MSRP : $184.99

High end technologies and features have made the Mavic Crosstrail Disc one of the most high performance MTB wheelset in its category. With now 150 g less on the scale and a distinctive graphic approach, this new version is even more appealing and can easi

Submitted by Fathead88

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2013

Strengths:    Look cool..............

Weaknesses:    Cracks where spoke screws into rim after one year.

Bottom Line:
Mav customer support sucks. offered to repair for two hundred dollars. Let the French keep their crap in theri own country from now on. Sticking with swiss or who ever else.........

Submitted by mrm1 a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2012

Strengths:    Look Good. Lite Enough.

Weaknesses:    Product Quality. Warranty. Mavic Customer Service - Just plain sucks

Bottom Line:
Got these wheels last May 2011 ... put less than 400 miles on them when I notices what I thought was a broke spoke. Turns out it was a broken spoke receiver connection on the hub that had split where the straight pull spoke goes thru. No damage to the spoke, no evidence of stress ... just a cracked hub. Whoa?!? when did this happen? Man this sucks?

Ok no problem they are less than a year old ... and even though they were factory close outs and 2010s Mavic will honor the warranty - right?. Well ... Try to find any help from their web site. That does not exist. Try to communicate with Mavic direct and all you hear is crickets. So take the 1 hr ride to the nearest dealer. A few days later, I find Mavic will not honor my Paypal receipt from eDiscount Bike ... they questioned them as a seller too. NO WARRANTY HELP !!

Cost to have Mavic replace the hub ... $160 plus $30 shipping and down time of God knows how long. So I do a quick internet search and fine a New Ft Wheel same model year from Performance for $159 and free shipping. Duh ... yeah I'll take the new wheel thanks. At least I have replacement spokes / bearings / rim ... but like that will do any good if the hub splits again.

This will be My last Mavic Purchase Road or Dirt. Over all rating 3 Chilis for looks and a pretty decent weight. Value Rating 1 Chilis for just pure sucky quality control, workmanship, customer service and warranty - Come on ... Wheels are suppose to last more than 10 months under normal use. Next time I will go with something that has way fewer proprietary parts. You know ... normal spoke nipples, spokes, hub type, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Any Dirt

Purchased At:   eDiscount Bike

Similar Products Used:   Deore LX. Mavic 117

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider XVP / X-Fusion RL Fork / SLX Cranks / Magura Louise Disks / XTR rear dr

Submitted by woodcreekcyclist a Cross Country Rider from Roseville CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Strengths:    -Stiff
-Fairly light
-Strong
-great customer service from Mavic
-Super sexy

Weaknesses:
None really

Bottom Line:
These wheels are fantastic! After tacoing my set of DT Swiss XR400/XTR race wheels, i figured it was a good idea to get some sturdy wheels to practice on. That was a great decision. These wheels feel really stiff compared to my superlight ones. They roll pretty well as well. I thought going from 1550 gram wheels to 1690 would be a huge difference, but really i dont notice it a whole lot. I have Wolverine 2.1 set up tubeless with them and they work excellent. The UST system is really nice. No hassling with tape or any of that nonsense. Once they lock into place, they are good to go. Also the 15 mm thru axle compatibility is a useful feature for if i ever want to get a fork like that. I was very impressed by how Mavic sends everything you could possibly ever need with the wheels. The wheels come with 6 bolt brake adapters, ust instruction manuals, 15mm adapters, spoke wrench, UST stems and wheel installation manual. The mavic service is truly amazing. Also with the blowout sale at HuckNroll for half off, they were one of the best deals i have ever gotten from a nonsponser company. I would definitely recommend these wheels for someone who rides hard and doesn't want to worry about truing wheels or breaking wheels. They are also fairly good for a low budget XC race wheel.

Favorite Trail:   The Confluence Colvert Trail

Purchased At:   HuckNroll

Similar Products Used:   DT swiss XR400 laced to XTR hubs

Bike Setup:   Magura Durin 100mm, hardtail, Wolverine 2.1 tubeless, slx brakes, x9 drivetrain

Submitted by jmbbikedestroyer a Weekend Warrior from Rock Hill,SC USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    strong and true for about a year

Weaknesses:    Overrated. Over priced. Lousy service from Mavic

Bottom Line:
This was supposed to be the last mt bike rim I would ever have to worry about. I ride a full suspension bike but was constantly breaking spokes and warping rims in the rear. This wheel was going to solve all that. Not so! It did last for about a year and took some good use but not abuse. After breaking a couple of spokes it was going to have to be rebuilt. Here's where the fun begins. The one year warranty ran out weeks earlier. No, I did not purchase the Mavic Protection plan.(That's only good for two years and you still pay for shipping). It looks like these wheels need repair once a year so the protection plan is sounding better. LBS #1 had the rim for a month and couldn't get Mavic to send them the spokes. They are the blade style. They sent the wrong spokes then refused to send anymore because "we sent you the right spokes". LBS #2 (a better bike store with serious Mt bikers). They have had the rim for a month as well and cannot make any headway with Mavic. No spokes. Come on! The kicker is they have this rim(2011) in their shop for sale. Mavic has lost me as a customer. Be warned fellow mt bikers.

Favorite Trail:   Warrior Creek

Similar Products Used:   Two other Mavic wheel sets

Submitted by madsedan a Weekend Warrior from Rockwall, TX

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff, strong, very affordable.

Weaknesses:    Might be difficult to find a wheel guy comfortable with working on the wheels due to the spokes and spoke to hub interface.

Bottom Line:
I had a set of 2010 models and loved them, they were light, strong and UST. I got the 2011's on a deal with HnR and had a coupon so I bought the newer models as they had some improvements for the 2011 model. The 2010 only ran 9mm QR but for 2011 the front can be converted to 15mm and with some design tweaks they are 150g lighter than the outgoing model.
Honestly, is there a better wheel in this price range and weight?
I am a 230# trail rider and have had no issues, after spending about 9 months on the 2010 set I simply had them trued at my LBS and they are perfect, I will be able to resell them to cover much of the cost of the new 2011's.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   Huck n Roll

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss wheels, Stans Flows, etc.

Bike Setup:   2011 Camber Expert 26" wheels

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    Light, 9mm and 15mm axle compatible, centerlock -> 6-bolt adapters included, inexpensive for UST wheels. Pretty nice looking for the most part. PRICE!!!

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about the logo, but those are stickers which can be pulled off. Freewheel is not loud, if that's your thing?

Bottom Line:
I only have 5 rides in on these new wheels, but so far they have proven to be stiff, lightweight, and smooth rolling. Even after some hard hits and riding around on the local rocky trails they are still true and the spoke tension is good. Only time will tell if this remains the case, although I expect to true a wheelset once a year the way I ride. Coming from a 2009 XTR wheelset, these feel every bit as smooth and stiff, but I'm sure the cartridge bearings will not last as long as the XTR cup and cone.

This is the only lightweight UST wheelset I've found for $300 that is compatible with both 9mm and 15mm axles. The 9mm adapters are just inserts that can be tapped out if you want to run a 15mm fork. It also comes with centerlock to 6-bolt disc rotor adapters. This is a HUGE plus for me, since I plan on selling these wheels in a year or two. Having those adapters means it will fit almost any potential buyers requirements. For the money, the only thing that comes close is the closeout XT's, but those only work for a certain axle type or a certain disc type.

I really like the way these wheels look, aside from the crosstrail logos which I don't care for. I do, however, like the aero straight pull spokes and silver machined areas between the spoke nipples. It really is a good looking wheelset.

They seated up tubeless perfectly with a floor pump on Specialized Purgatory 2.4 and 2.2 tires. I'm about 175 and running 22-24psi in the front and have had no issues with burping or a squirmy feel. Pretty impressive for a ~1600g wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Guardian

Purchased At:   Huck N Roll

Similar Products Used:   2009 XTR UST, WTB SpeedDisc

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4, 150mm Sektor Coil, standard trail bike.

Submitted by jbruneau a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    For the weight, this thing is bombproof.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
This wheelset has lasted me for over three years without much trouble (I *finally* destroyed them earlier this year). There are more bombproof wheelsets out there, but I find that this wheelset strikes a nice balance between strength and weight. I would definitely recommend the Crosstrail for those who don't want to build a wheelset from scratch.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Submitted by neeeko a Weekend Warrior from DukeCity, NM

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Stong, True out the box, Look Great!

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
I found these at my local REI on sale for $275! If you know REI then you know I got a steal! I got free truing and if I decide one day I want to upgrade or just dont like them anymore, I can return them for a full refund, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. On top of all this they ride fast, seem durable. I have total confidence while out riding.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   Upgraded 2008 DiamondBack Sortie 1..RockShox Tora 302 U-turn 5in Travel..RockShox Bar 2.1 Rear Shock..Mavic CrossTrail Tubless Wheels..2.35 Kenda Nevagels..Avid BB7 Disc Brakes W/Avid Speed Dial Levers..All Shimano Deore Drivetrain..Easton MonkeyLite SL Carbon Bar..Specialized Lock Grips..Truvativ XR 60mm Stem..Easton EA30 Seatpost..Fizik Kium Aliante Saddle..Premium Products Slim Pedals..Weight 35.2 lbs

Submitted by TG a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    Value, Mavic Reputation

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub Design, Stiffnes

Bottom Line:
The engagement of the rear hub is average at best. After riding a King rear hub for several years, this is very noticeable. Wheels are flexy. Tracking is average. Spoke tension is the issue but have not adjusted yet. These are a good wheel for the price. Very light, they spin well and the tubeless design is great. They do not compare to top quality wheelset but for the price, I was probably expecting too much.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossride, Custom wheels (King on Bontrager)

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail, fox F80, Sram XO, Avid

Submitted by Mark_123 a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, wheels stay true, no broken spokes.

Weaknesses:    Special spokes required, but haven't needed to replace.

Bottom Line:
Always had trouble with wheels before purchasing these. Had broken spokes, had to true wheels nearly every ride. Haven't trued these since I put on the bike, strong spokes survived a broken rear derailleur which went into the spokes. No longer have to worry about wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Crossride, Sun Ryno light w/shimano hub

Bike Setup:   26" HT

Submitted by melineman a Cross Country Rider from Central, ME, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, fairly light, BARGAIN price for the quality. Can take a beating. They look nice, similar to the Crossmax SLR's.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Good wheels at $180. Bought the UST Disc used from a little female rider. I am about 190 pounds in the spring and these wheels were great all last season. Just moved them to my new Altitude build, and put some AmerClassics on my ETSX that I gave to my girlfriend. I like these wheels for simple fact that I have beat them on rocky, rooty muddy ATV trails and that they helped me get back into the sport without the worry I was riding frail wheels. If they do fail from my fat a$$ abuse, then I am only out $180 as opposed to the $800 I'd be out on a set of Crossmax. I just spun them and they are true. That impresses me. If the bearings go, a company (Boca?) makes replacement ceramic bearings for $50 that will be a certain upgrade to the Crosstrails. So, five of five based on the price I paid. I would pay up to $250 for these and still feel like I stole them.

Favorite Trail:   The Bog

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax (2004), Mavic CrossRoc (2004), American Classic MTB26

Bike Setup:   (new) Rocky Mountain Altitude, taken from (old) Rocky Mountain ETSX

Submitted by joe.tierney a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stiff, durable. Great quality at a good price point.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended. Great quality, reasonable price.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Similar Products Used:   Various.

Bike Setup:   Epic, avid mechanical, tubeless, Marzocchi DJ3 100mm, Shimano Ghost, Race Face Evolve

Submitted by Gman7 a Weekend Warrior from Mooresville NC USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2009

Strengths:    They roll

Weaknesses:    Everything else what can I say, broken pawls, loose hub, out of true, spokes loosen on every other ride even after warranty replacement.

Bottom Line:
This product has been the biggest disappointment of any wheel set I have owned. I ride about three times a week and am not an aggressive ride. At first I heard allot of popping and cracking that I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I now know it was from the spokes. After having the wheels 6-weeks the pawls broke. I sent them back to Amerisports (Mavic distributor) and waited 6-weeks to get them back. Upon return things seemed OK for about 1 month then the same noises started again. This time though a new twist, the spokes will not stay tight. I have had them at the shop several times truing the wheels and can't keep the darn things tight or straight. The wheels themselves are very flexi and do not track as well as I would like. I weigh 185lbs so I am not light but not heavy either. Regardless this should not happen. I had a set of crossmax wheels on my FSR and didn’t have these problems. Best wheels I own King with Velocity rims, super stiff but expensive. Best value I own, Cane Creek these hoops are bomb proof and one heck of a value. Cane Creek is the best customer service company on the planet. I can’t say enough good things about these folks and on top of that they have fantastic products. As for Mavic, what can I say they don’t even list an e-mail address on their website for product feedback. They suck out loud and I will never purchase another product from them again. Buy at your own peril.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, Bent Creek