Mavic Crossroc UST Wheelset

3.34/5 (64 Reviews)
Weight : Front : 865g / rear : 1045g MSRP : $175.00

Mavic Crossroc UST Front Wheel QRM MAVIC quality bearings, Aluminum spoke screws and brass nipples, Black anodized MAXTAL SUP welded rim. inflation pressure 2 to 4 bars / 30 to 60, Front : 810g,

Submitted by mtbnj a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Strengths:    strong, light

Bottom Line:
Great set of wheels. I've done several 24 hour races with these wheels and I'm still using them today on regular ride on a second bike I have. Just last year I finally had to tru the wheels. I purchased them back in 2004 so you do the math. Great wheels and I'm still getting my moneys worth.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Similar Products Used:   other XC wheel sets, too many to list

Bike Setup:   FS, 100mm F&B

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Quebec

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stayed true

Weaknesses:    Service or replacement parts

Bottom Line:
As long we keep in mind those wheels are for cross country riders, and not for 200 lbs and over free riders, you get a more than acceptable pair of wheels for your bucks. Did not get any freewheel issue so far, as reported in other reviews, or had to replace bearing cartridges. Very low leaks, I only have to inflate tires once a week.

I accidentally pulled a spoke out during the first month, and Mavic replaced the wheel (Thanks to my LBS). Both wheel remained true all those years. I'm not an agressive rider, and not heavy at 155 lbs, but did lot of rough trails and would buy the same wheels anytime.

Favorite Trail:   Gemini Bridges

Purchased At:   (Came with bike) Le Pédalier

Similar Products Used:   first UST wheels

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula 2002, Marzochi, Race Face, XTR/XT, Avid SD7, IRC Serac/Mythos, Stan's no tube.

Submitted by David Smith a Cross Country Rider from Richmond Va

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Great Looks

Weaknesses:    Constant attension, very week.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are not a good buy.. There are alot of better wheels out there, that do not need attension.. I am 200lbs, and get flex all the time - I will be getting rid of these right away,,, I too see why Mavic diss continued.. now Im stuck with them... I guess Im going to go back to Shimano... Seeeee ya Mavic

I would recomend another wheel set,, most wheel sets are better..

Favorite Trail:   Douthat State Park

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 117 Disc

Bike Setup:   Klein hard Tail,, Race frame

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Piedmont, NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    See previous review. Fast rolling, little maintenance so far.

Weaknesses:    Previous review cited leakage. This was before I found out about Stans sealant. My mistake in jumping to conclusions without getting with the mainstream of sealant usage with tubeless technology.

Bottom Line:
My previous rating dogged the wheel on account of leakage. Please note the correction here in recommending this wheel with the use of Stans sealant. The difference is significant in noting the liveliness of the wheel after having taken the tubes out (which the seller of the bike left in the wheels upon my acquisition).

Favorite Trail:   Various

Similar Products Used:   My first tubeless

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3 w/Continental Explorer Pro UST

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Piedmont, NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Roll well, seem to hold true, but am not a gonzo rider.

Weaknesses:    Leakage. Require pumping after about six hours from full pressure.

Bottom Line:
I was an unsuspecting buyer of these tubeless wheels in not recognizing that there were tubes (didn't know the presta valve height distiction) in the wheelset purchased with the used bike, until the valve stem broke on the front, and was quickly recognized by the bike shop. They removed the tubes, replaced with Mavic UST valve stems, and remarked that these wheels could entail daily pumping with a floor pump. They added that a tube would be recommended as a fixture for a flat. I'm inclined to put the tubes back in with this more than minor inconvenience, but will give them a try as is. I can't heartily endorse a leaking tube, and must agree with other reviewers that it is a defect of design. The price of the bike with these wheels was pretty reasonable ($600), so it wasn't a ripoff, but am now a little leary of tubeless technology, and of course, the seller.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   Used with bike

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3

Submitted by Howard Van Der Klauw a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane QLD Australia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    Roll well, typical Mavic, look great with low spoke count which keeps the weight down.

Weaknesses:    I had problems holding a tubed tyre on the bead above 45psi before I switched to the UST tyres at 35psi. Blew 3 tubes.

Bottom Line:
I am an 90kg / 205lb rider who treats my bike gently and I have had no problems at all with these wheels. But with low spoke count I could not recommend these to hard, fast or heavy riders. So if you are light and only ride XC then you might find these to be a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221, Sunrim 0 degree XC

Bike Setup:   Specialised Epic, XT V brakes, Rockshock SID World Cup Team.

Submitted by mark m. a Cross Country Rider from Cottonwood Hts. , Utah

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Special tool for spokes.

Bottom Line:
These are like an old Jaguar: Need constant attention and tune up. Shops do not know how to repair them. I had broken spokes on 5 rides in 2 seasons and now the axle is toast. Durability just ain't there.

Favorite Trail:   crest

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 80 with upgrades.

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Cle Elum, WA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Light and affordable.

Weaknesses:    Mavic quit making the freewheel. The spokes require special tools to replace.

Bottom Line:
I bought these on a closeout at Supergo. Last week during a race I noticed a spoked had pulled out possibly stripping the reverse thread on the rim. I took the rim to two bike shops and it was noted the freewheel was wobbly in addition to the thread problem on the rim. One of the shops called Mavic and Mavic reported they no longer make the freewheel and the whole hub would need to be replaced. I bought this wheel pretty cheap and its understandable why Mavic discontinued this wheel.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Pro

Submitted by eric hawkins a Cross Country Rider from atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Tubeless!

Weaknesses:    Overall wheel strength

Bottom Line:
They were cheap and tubeless. No more pinch flats and I can run at lower air pressure. The rear wheel leaked from the beginning, no big deal. Had to fill with air before every ride. Had the rear wheel true'd three times. Recently, the freewheel began going south. Nothing lasts forever, and I ride a lot and hard (and I weigh ~200lbs). I am pleased with two years, and I will own another set of UST wheels (just maybe not Mavic's low-end). 4 more years.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR-XC, carbon fiber seat post, riser bar and cranks.

Submitted by Billy a Racer from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome bearings, tubeless traction is awesome, low rolling resistance/weight is awesome. Haven't had to true them yet, either.

Weaknesses:    A little flexy.

Bottom Line:
Great wheels for the money. If you install the tires properly and with a little patience they don't leak at all. These wheels roll and roll and roll and the UST tires GRAB on the uphills. No complaints at all.

Submitted by tim a Cross Country Rider from dutchess ny

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2004

Strengths:    Durable. They roll well.

Weaknesses:    Realisticly-- none

Bottom Line:
I've used only tubless (explorer rears, mosquito fronts) with Stan's. They've held up extremely well, skewers are fine too, for me. 6000 not so easy miles, with 1 truing! Maybe the closeout wheelsets are different?!phuk bush

Similar Products Used:   517's, xmax xl

Bike Setup:   these came on 2002 f3000

Submitted by robert woldring a Cross Country Rider from augusta, georgia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    price, radially laced front hub, overall looks (wheelset matches my frameset)

Weaknesses:    weight, freehub, overall durability, crappy skewers

Bottom Line:
I initially thought this was a decent wheelset. It worked well and didn't leak with tubeless tires. Then, at the end of the first season of use, the freehub needed to be replaced. In addition to that, the rear wheel would constantly go outta true. After the second season of use the rear wheel began leaking air. Upon closer inspection, I discovered several of the spoke "nuts" had worked loose. Since they've been retightened, the rear wheel seems to be holding air again. I'm glad to see that Mavic finally came to their senses and decided to drop production on this wheelset. To all the folks out there that don't know it already...this wheelset is junk! I've noticed that several internet based companies are offering this wheelset for as little as a 150 bucks!!! Unless you're a 120 lb. rider or just ride occasionally, PLEASE, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! I certainly wish I had.

Favorite Trail:   boyne mt.

Similar Products Used:   mavic X517's, mavic 3.1 ust disc's.

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant XTC se2 frameset w/ RockShox SID XC, Chris King headset, Race Face Next LP cranks, Shimano XT/XTR, Avid Ti brakeset, eggbeater stainless pedals, easton CT2 bar, Ritchey PRO stem and a (2004) Giant (carbon) seatpost.

Submitted by Steve S. a Weekend Warrior from Chicago IL USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    These are for tubeless tires. The rear wheel allowed very little air leakage, allowing for the rear tire to stay properly pressurized for around 4-5 weeks. The front wheel allowed for a LOT of air leakage, where after a few hours of moderate riding intensity, the pressure would drop anywhere from 5-10 psi on the same day. After one week left alone, the front tire was less than half inflated. Once I bought the bike I noticed this flaw and returned to the shop where I bought it to complain. There, the bike mechanics said this leakage was normal for tubeless rims, saying it is a hard to find a good fit with the rim and its tire. For $1500, I expected not to have refill my tire with air twice in one day. And the inconsistency between the front and rear wheels was night and day. I should have been given a replacement, period. This aside, I think for the money spent on these wheels is a waste. Now I'm going to buy new wheels - and they're NOT going to be made by Mavic.

Bottom Line:
If you want really poor performance, go with these. I'm giving this wheel an overall rating of "fair" since the rear wheel was fine.

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets

Bike Setup:   2002 Jamis Dakota XC - mainly stock components.

Submitted by Thomas from Cincy

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2004

Strengths:    I purchased my first set 2 yrs ago. The front wheel has held up well no Comlaints

Weaknesses:    I had had to purchase two rear wheels. each of them lasting for only about 4 months. I take care of my stuff too. The freewheel went out on both of them. Garbage! I contacted Mavic, only to be shunned away. Terrible customer service. OH, I can buy a new freewheel if I want too. I even took the wheel to there mobil wheel center at a 24 hour race and they didn't do anything for me.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these wheels. Supergo has them on sale for 179 a set. Unless you have money to throw away. They are not worth 100 bucks. I am only 170lbs. Wear and tear item buy butt. I am an engineer and I know cheap grap when I see it.

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike/CambriaBike

Submitted by Jorge a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, very little rolling resistance. UST gription is awesome. These wheels love to accelerate and climb.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is a little flexy.

Bottom Line:
This is a great, great wheelset for lighter riders. I'm 140 and race pretty hard (including 12-hour races) and have yet to true these wheels. They do flex on fast, tight turns, though. Not too bad for me, but heavier riders might have problems. UST system is GREAT. The increase in gription and decrease in rolling resistance is incredible. My bike isn't super light (24-25 lbs.) but these wheels make it feel like it weighs nothing. These are great wheels for XC.

Mavic's customer service may suck, but if I never have to use it then I'm OK with that.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge Hill o' Truth