Mavic Crossroc UST Disc Wheelset

Weight : Front : 865g / rear : 1045g

Use: A concentrate of Tubeless UST technology on an "affordable" disc wheel for daily cross-country riding.
  • Black anodized, Maxtal, SUP welded rim
  • Fore technology, valve hole: 6,5
  • 8 and 9 speed, HG compatible, steel freewheel body
  • 24 front bent spokes and rear crossed spokes
  • Zamak spoke screws and brass nipples
  • Disc brake compatible with the international standard: 6 holes - 44 mm diameter, front offset : 10,5 mm/Rear 15,25 mm
  • Compatible with disc brakes: Hayes, Shimano, Magura, Formula...
  • Recommended tires UST Tubeless

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Joel Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Tokyo Japan

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2006

Strengths:    Good first time tubeless wheelset for a lightweight rider on easy trails.

Weaknesses:    Rear freehub sloppy, developed a pinging noise after 6 months of relatively light riding.

Bottom Line:
    Stayed true,rear leaked but front maintained pressure. Rear hub is weak. Can't find a replacement and Mavic doesn't make them anymore--probably because they caused too many warranty problems! Lace in some Shimano hubs and they'll be greatly improved.

Favorite Trail:   The Reservoir

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Deore 555/Mavic 223 disc wheelset, LX/Mavic 517.

Bike Setup:   KHS XC504, FSA Carbon Pro Team crank and Platinum Pro Ti bb, FSA stem and bar, XT derailleurs and shifters, Avid BB7 mech discs and Marzocchi Marathon SL fork.

Submitted by SLP a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    No service required

Bottom Line:
    Aside from an occasional tightning of the spoke ferrules, I've had zero problems with these wheels. I live in Southern Cal, so, the single track is smooooth for miles. I treat my wheels with care. I log between 50-75 miles offroad a week, so I have given these wheels a chance to act up, but to no prevail. I was a bit skeptical when I first read the reviews before actually trying them, but nothing but chili's from me..When these take a crap, I'll upgrade to the SL's. Keep in mind, the higher end components usually require a bit more tinkering, so beware of the "cool looks" factor. Just my opimion and experience.

Favorite Trail:   Back Bone

Purchased At:   Came on a used bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217's with XTR hubs

Bike Setup:   GT Team Hardtail - Sram XO all around - Monkeylites - Crossrocs - FSA Stem

Submitted by Preston Hobelman a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    Very good look

Weaknesses:    I have had to have it trued twice in the past three weeks. not a heavy rider but do like the trails and don't remember casing anything that would make it bend this bad.

Bottom Line:
    I like the wheels a lot. they are great, but I wish I new why they bent this quick.

Favorite Trail:   Red Rocks Colorado

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Homegrown

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Looks
    Quality

Weaknesses:    Free Hub

Bottom Line:
    weight is 230lbs.
    Ride habits – Love downhill’s, stoppies etc.

Front Wheel – like a charm never needed service and have never needed to true them once. Considering all the stoppies I do and my weight, I say that’s pretty remarkable. I will note that the wheel will flex to the left when doing hard stops.

Back Wheel – Stayed true no matter what and never had any flex issues. I did have a ton of issues with the Hub. Over two years it has been serviced 3 times. The good news is that Mavic replaced the entire hub, man does it look trick. Looks very similar to the crossMax hubs.

Purchased At:   Skiies & Biikes

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR, XT disk brakes, Fox front and back, Race Face crank

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from frisco, CO

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    strong, stay true, UST works great on Mavic rims, good bearings, good value

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for racing, out of production

Bottom Line:
    These wheels have been great for me. The only complaint I can come up with is the weight- they are heavy for XC racing use. Some are saying these are flexible- my 165lbs. haven't noticed. BTW, I would be surprised if they truly are flexible enough to feel- tires, forks and swingarms are going to twist and flex before the wheel. A litle flex in a wheel allows spoke stretch under impact stress- stretch that will return to true. An overly tight wheel will just break and collapse.
    Bottom Line: If you are sub-200lbs, and what used to be called a "mountain biker"-you ride trails for fun, I recommend these 100%. UST issues are almost never due to a rim- they are a rimstrip or rim-tire interface problem. Clean the tire and rim bead, and USE SIMPLE GREEN to mount them. It helps lube and seal the tire.

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   DeVinci with Formula discs

Submitted by TrailBedlam a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    UST! Smooth cartridge bearings; fast, relatively light wheelset at a great price

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    These wheels rock!!
    Got a great deal at the bike show as there was one $10 valve stem missing, which I ordered from my LBS.
    Installed XT rotors, XTR cassette, poured some Stan's into the Pythons, used a tire lever to get the damn Pythons on (I know - not supposed to use levers, but try to put them on without levers!?!?!) and off I went.
    Hated the LX rear hub that came stock on my bike - lasted 1.5 years then developed bearing play and ate a bearing. Switched to XT hubs on my 223s, which are strong rims, but not UST.
    So, I use the XT/223 combo for mud and crappy weather and keep my CrossRocs for dry weather. Pythons are a fast, grippy tire for everything but mud and amazing in loose sand and rock.
    Neither tire has needed any air after 3 months (thanks, Stan) and they've stayed true. None of the nipples have released at all.
    I'm not a light guy (190 to 195, depending how much I ride) and I'd recommend these wheels to anyone wanting to go UST without blowing a wad on CrossMaxs.

Favorite Trail:   3 Rox

Purchased At:   Toronto Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 223, first on LX hubs, now on XT

Bike Setup:   Spec Stumpy Disk, XTR, Fox Float R, RS Duke XC, UST Pythons, Stan's Sealant

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Blacksburg,VA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    still true,even after running into curbs and going down steps(up them too)

Weaknesses:    hubs developed a little play,have to adjust them about once a month

Bottom Line:
    seem to be pretty strong and very light,nice tire seating even when using tubes,have not bent them yet and they even come with the perfect spoke tension.

Favorite Trail:   poverty creek

Similar Products Used:   richey off center wheels,other mavic wheels

Bike Setup:   ironhorse desperado,xtr drivetrain,minuite fork,titec cocpit,the new x-pedals from azonic(cool)

Submitted by namaSSte a Cross Country Rider from NE Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive and good looking. Weight is good.

Weaknesses:    FLEX!!! crap bearings, the spoke screw things blow, and Mavic is the worst (did I iss anything). Oh yeah, but I hit that below.

Bottom Line:
    I really liked these wheels at first when I used them for xc racing only. Light weight and the UST thing seemed (note past tense) like a great idea whose time had come. Turns out, I was wrong. Twice I dnf'd after flatting because the "nut" holding the stem in stripped out. I shoulda known then that the problems were just starting. Try tensioning spokes sometime. With those stupid little spoke screw things, it su@ks! Sure if you want to pay extra for a tool from Mavic (I found this out later) you can fix your crappy wheel but this is mentioned no where. In addition to that, good luck getting replacement screws from Mavic (took me almost 2.5 mths! for two 5 cent screws that made the wheel unusable). The guy at Mavic was rude to boot (imagine that from the French!). Anyway, I'd deal with it if the product was great but I have gone through 3 freehubs so far and countless broken nipples (again, the spoke screw things inflicting their evil) all for a wheel that is flexier than a Russian gymnast. All in all, the wheels work for light xc work in dry conditions. For a trail rider or someone who spends a lot of time getting muddy, I'd look elsewhere. For less loot you can build up some XT hubs on Sun rims and have a lightweight, bomber set of wheels and use the saved cash for post ride beer!

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Mtn.

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax Disc, Sun Rhyno Lites/XT, Sun Sub IV/XT

Bike Setup:   RM Blizzard, Steel HT singlespeed, Hayes discs, Zoke Marathon S 100mm, Kenda Kinetics 2.35 (that should be all that's relevant)

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Strengths:    LOOKS, UST, HUBS.

Weaknesses:    HUBS, UST, SPOKE TENSION.

Bottom Line:
    I'm writing up my final review of these wheels, after two hard races on them, and over 100 miles in two weeks.

When I mounted up my wheels, I noticed one major problem, the front hub was loose. I took it off, and it was rather very easy to fix, so that was no problem at all.

The second issue was spoke tension. Factory didn't seem that good, they were making 'creaking sounds' a little more then brand new wheels do. The front wheel already needs trued up in only about 100 miles, but the back is pretty good still.

As long as they stay the way they are, I will be happy...

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   TOO MANY TO LIST.

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from USA-Home of the brave

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, UST, Smooth Hubs, Easy installation

Weaknesses:    Seems a bit heavy, but they aren't the most expensive wheels in the world!

Bottom Line:
    I just got these wheels this week and set them up. I'm writing a review right now basically about first impressions, I will write a more complete review in the future.

These wheels seemed pretty smooth at first (bearings), and the UST doesn't leak as much as everyone says. Any UST system, 10-15lbs lost overnight would be considered average.

I'm setting up the wheels with regular tubed IRC Mythos XC Slicks tires and Stan's NoTubes. I'm saving a tremendous amount of weight, and have reliability of Stan's Sealant. Also, running a regular tire with a softer sidewall gives a little more 'cush' or 'sag' so that you maintain traction more.

I don't know what it was, but once I installed my disc rotors, they weren't exaclty straight. On my old set of wheels, the where perfect, but for some reason on this set of wheels, they don't line up right. It's not because there is dirt caught anywhere (drop-outs, etc.). I almost blame the machining on either my old set of wheels, or these Crossrocs, wasn't done straight.

For right now, I have seen no reason why I sould give it perfect rating, considering I paid only $240 brand new.

My only question, where will I be able to find parts, as Mavic no longer makes these wheels, and how durable will they be? Everyone speaks of them being to flexy or they are too heavy for the wheels, but a flexy wheel isn't necessarily all that bad-no flex, no movement, spokes break.

Purchased At:   ...when you do it EBAY!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Bike Setup:   TREK FUEL 100 OCLV

Submitted by Felix a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    Looks nice, UST works!

Weaknesses:    flex under 80kg rider riding smooth road. Side to side free play of 1-2mm on rear hubs. Lock front brakes yet front hubs still able to rock forward and backwards 2-3mm. Lots of slop.

Bottom Line:
    I would only consider buying these wheels if I am on a buget and is my 1st set of wheels. If you have never used a good pair of wheels, I think you would not notice the slop on these X roc wheels. Great poser value for a low price. UST works very well.

Similar Products Used:   Coda hubs with Mavic rims, Dura Ace hubs with Mavic rims, WH-7701, HED ALPS, Xmax SL, etc etc

Bike Setup:   03 Cannondale F1000SL with MARGURA Marta

Submitted by Belula bob a Cross Country Rider from Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Strengths:    tubeless and disc (with pythons ust and LX cassette) for dirt cheap. Mavic cartridge bearing for dirt cheap.

Weaknesses:    They lost their true in a week (not bad enough it needed to be fixed - thnx u discs) - Heavy - Spokes suck: One just snapped while road riding...

Bottom Line:
    Mavic is supposed to have real good cartridge bearings, so when switching to discs, I thought I'd buy these as beater wheels. I can say I have "beaten" them and they have not held up as well as I hoped for. On the other hand, after fixing the busted spoke and getting them trued the hubs are still as smooth as the first day (and I ride in new england year round in some messy stuff!). Overall certainly not the best wheelset out there, and had this been an $800 wheelset, I'd be ticked, but for $200 who's complaining?

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   most of the time

Submitted by justin a Cross Country Rider from harrisonburg, va

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Strengths:    strong enough to withstand all around trail riding and light jumping, nice looking, stay true, great value, tubeless advantages.

Weaknesses:    hard to tell if it is the tires, wheels, or my fault setting them up, but I never could get the tires to hold air for more than a week.

Bottom Line:
    These wheels are a great value, and perform very well for all-around trail riding. I always had confidence in them, even when doing jumps, and they never got dinged up or dished regardless of what I threw at them. If you want them to hold air better, I suggest stan's or using diluted detergent to seal the bead when installing the tire. I ran them with 2.1 michelin wg xls, and they served me quite well.

Purchased At:   jensonusa