Mavic Crossride Wheelset

4.18/5 (129 Reviews)
Weight : Front : 730g / rear : 1020g MSRP : $300.00

Mavic Crossride MTB Wheelset. More than 10 years after its launch, the recipe has changed but the goals remain: quality, efficiency and reliability. Mavic specific technologies ensure enhanced performances on any bike. Compatible with through axles. Avail

Submitted by Forrest Gimp

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    Strong ass entry level 29er wheelset! Great pricepoint. Still true after a year of intense riding.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub developed lateral side to side play. Mavic sent a thick washer which supposedly fixes the lateral play. It just ended up binding the bearings. Many d.i.y. threads i read said they used loc tite retaining compound to fix the issue. I took out the thick washer "fix" mavic sent , put in retaining compound & have not had any lateral play since.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great wheelset as of yet. I paid just under $300. I weigh about 175-185 (after post ride livations) These wheels sit in a hard tail 29er setup. I ride 3-4 days a week , mostly xc & some gravity. I don't do any epic jumps, just ones within my comfor tzone, hit log rollovers , rock gardens & common ttf. Iv'e owned these wheels for over a year & they still are true! I have total confidence in the set & in the future i would most definitely upgrade. They are also a decent weight for the cost.

Duration Product Used:   Over a year

Purchased At:   german online store

Submitted by Carlos Monsivais a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Price, Looks, Strong

Weaknesses:    None So far!

Bottom Line:
If you need new rims, and don't race, or abuse IT this are good rims for the money!

Purchased At:   Mexico, Tijuana Bike

Submitted by Joern Kristiansen a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Price, Mavic name

Weaknesses:    Front rim broke at the weld during XC decent. No apparent reason for the break. The wheel locked and I summersaulted and landed hard. The rear hub had startet to make a screeching sound that came and went, not connected to braking.

Bottom Line:
This wheelset is to weak for XC riding. Developed faults that I have not had with any other wheels. There was no warning to the front rim coming apart at the welded joint. As the going was easy it came as a complete surprise that the wheel broke and locked up. Since the rear hub had also started playing up, it seems clear that this wheelset is not up to XC riding.

Similar Products Used:   Stan's ZTR rims on Shimano XT rear hub and American Classic front hub.

Submitted by McCrevis a Weekend Warrior from Lakeland, FL

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Great price for the Mavic name. Perfect upgrade for the budget. V brake and/or 6 bolt disk

Weaknesses:    We will see how they handle a clydesdale rider

Bottom Line:
so far so good. They have a lot to live up too considering my factory rims off of my 2003 GT Avalanche have held up for 8 yrs. Only reason I'm upgrading is for the hubs and the ability to upgrade to disk brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Carter Road

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    PRICE, weight, strength...

Weaknesses:    Being real anal but the front wheel came with a very very slight wobble but that could be shipping and its so slight that I'm not bothered. Proprietary design.

Bottom Line:
A bargain. I mean, as someone who got into biking mostly in the 90's then dropped out in the 2000's the price blows me away. I thought there would be no way of getting fr and rr hubs, spokes, rims, tape and labour for less than$500 yet here I have a beautiful Mavic wheelset for less than half. Granted they are made in Bulgaria but at least it ain't China! Sealed bearing hubs, machined sidewalls, bladed spokes...Wow. Mine are he 2011 rim breal version and have only 20 spokes per wheel. That scard me a bit but the rims have deeper bodies so I assume that makes up for it. Alot different than my traditional 32 spoke wheel but so far I am very happy.

Purchased At:   pp

Similar Products Used:   alot of various mavic sun with dt and xt setups.

Bike Setup:   I've a 1992 Rocky TeamComp set up for street. Rigid w/ TB Project 2,Cattleprod, Xtr rear mech, Suntour thumbs, EC70 bar, these wheels and 1.25 slicks. I pity the cop that tries to issue me a ticket in town!

Submitted by guigga a Weekend Warrior from carver ma.

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    cheap and durable

Bottom Line:
great entry level xc wheels! i have pounded these wheels for the past 2+ yrs and have had no problems havent even had to get rear wheel trued yet, front wheels trued once after crash but just out of true a little bit. I am close to 200 lbs and I have done everything up to 4 ft drops on these and there still good to go! Very surprised that other people have had issues w/them. For xc wheels I think there pretty darn good. Have to give 5 peppahs!

Favorite Trail:   trail of tears

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   wtb, weinmann

Bike Setup:   sette riddick, xt, juicy carbon, minatou

Submitted by Cougar a Weekend Warrior from s.korea

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2010

Strengths:    strong wheels

Weaknesses:    never stay true and hard or never to true

Bottom Line:
these wheels came untrue after 4 days road riding from the day i bought them , took them back to the shop the guy at the shop didn't know how to true them, no return policy in here, the sad thing is i bought 2 sets for rode and mt, they were the best wheels before i bought them according to the guy at the shop but not after.
sold one set for $50 gave away the other for free, in the other hand my friend has the same wheels but v brakes rims she is been using them for about 4 years mountain biking and never had any problem with them so crossride disk no v brakes yes, means the rims are too soft on the disk version

Purchased At:   s korea

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt, crank brothers cobalt

Bike Setup:   scott carbon frame, sram xo component , rock shox reba 100mm , xt brakes

Submitted by cafam1 a Cross Country Rider from SI NY

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2009

Strengths:    THE HUBS

Weaknesses:    SPOKE FLANGES

Bottom Line:
The Rims are strong. The hub Flanges where the spoke meets the hub are sad. If an object gets caught in the spokes the spoke should break or the nipple. The spoke should not rip through the hub and thats what happened to me. Thats a poor design that needs to be addressed. The hub needs to be beefed up around the flange. I think the newer crossrides have heavier duty hubs. Just be carefull because the wheel will be virtually useless if this happens.

Favorite Trail:   ANY

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump Jumper

Submitted by nivniv10 a Racer from Israel

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    Looks great. Rolls well

Weaknesses:    Not to strong

Bottom Line:
The hub broke. JUst like that after 6 months of use.
I raced with the wheels 2 times. The hub broke while I was riding at a PARK!!!

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   Decathlon

Mavic 317

Bike Setup:   Titus racer X

Submitted by Elimaes12 a Cross Country Rider from Oostende, West-Vlaanderen, Belgïe

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Nice looks, stiff rim

Weaknesses:    rear hub

Bottom Line:
At first these wheels seemed great, took nearly 2,5 months to get the wheel out of true.

At moments where I thought: 'Now the rim just has to be bent', they stayed relatively true. Bike+me is a total of 100 kg, so that's quite something.

After 3 months (approx 700km), a spoke got loose, because a little corner broke off the rear hub where the spoke clamps into the hub.
Am hoping they are in warranty now, got the MP3 extra warranty, so they should be.

Conclusion: good rims, bad rear hub, not expensive. Rear hub broke down after approx 700km of riding on not such bad terrain. Apparently the hub can't carry heavier riders.
I'm disappointed in mavic.

Favorite Trail:   Fast singletracks

Purchased At:   bike-components

Similar Products Used:   stock wheels on 400$ bike

Bike Setup:   Bulls King Cobra with V-brakes, Crossride wheels and sram X9 shifters

Submitted by gtrdave a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington, DE

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Construction, usable for rim or disc brake, durability

Weaknesses:    weight?

Bottom Line:
I was breaking spokes on the OEM Tiogas fairly regularly, so a guy at the lbs recommended the Crossrides. $200/pair seemed inexpensive enough and I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of these things. They are tough! I've only had them trued once in the 2 years I've abused them and that's pretty impressive, imho, considering I ain't a small guy (6'2", 230lbs).
I'm selling the Schwinn soon, but the Mavics are staying with me, to be used with my GT commuter as an off-road back-up wheelset.
They are a tad heavier than the Tiogas, but they're strong, no doubt.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Tioga/Shimano OEM rims

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab 3, Manitou front shock, Panaracer tires, mixed component group

Submitted by Frs1661 a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    Looks like a more expensive wheel. Cartridge bearing hubs that spin well. Acceptable # of POE in the rear.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for the price. Low spoke count at this weight makes no sense; purely marketing. For the same price you can get XT hubs laced to Mavic 717 rims that are lighter and more reliable.

Bottom Line:
I could forgive this wheelset if it was at least UST, but it's not. There are better/lighter/more practical wheelsets out there at this price point.

They work, but I will be upgrading at the first opportunity.

Purchased At:   Came on my Blur XC

Similar Products Used:   XT/717 build on my singlespeed.

Submitted by chustig a Weekend Warrior from Lonsdale, MN

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    THEY ARE STRONG, PERIOD.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm...I hear they are supposed to be heavy, but I don't notice. I'm too distracted by my delight at how strong they are.

Bottom Line:
I bent my stock wheels the first time I rode this bike. Pretty much rode with them slightly bent all the time and had them straightened when it got really bad. I got more serious about riding and researched a bunch (mostly reviews on MTBR) and bought these. I just wanted the strongest wheels I could get at a good price point. F weight! I'm not willing to sacrifice strength.

I got the ones that accept disc and rim brakes. I have disc. I figured why not have the option. Never know.

I think they look pretty cool too, with the graphics and fat spokes. I'm a little bummed that one of the stickers is coming off, but, oh well...I ride my bike hard, so it's no beauty queen. I think it looks better all dirty and beat to hell!!

Bottom line is I ride relatively hard (and clumsy sometimes!), and I can't bend these things. I mostly don't think about it. But sometimes when I'm done riding, I check them for straightness, and I always delight when I confirm that these things just don't bend.

They are exactly what I was looking for, and I couldn't be happier with them. Buy them.

Note: I can't remember what the cutoff was, but I think the year after mine were made, they changed they deleted they reinforcments where the spoke attach to the rims and had some cracking/breaking issues. I imagine Mavic has rectified this by now. Look into it. Mine are pretty much flawless though. I love them with all my heart. :)

Favorite Trail:   Murphy-Hanrehan