Mavic Crossride UB Wheelset

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Entry level at Mavic always means quality, efficiency and reliability. WithThe Crossride UB you get a entry level wheelset designed specifically forThe rigors of rim brakes.The perfect upgrade when replacing your stock wheelset! Dedicated Rim brake wheelset Optimized component design Mavic quality 6106 Aluminum rim Straight pull bladed spokes Brass nipples Alloy hub shells FTS-X freehub body, 8/9/10 speedShimano or SRAM compatible Standard QR, front and rear, QR skewers included Includes fr

Submitted by David Mende a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    appearance, design

Weaknesses:    construction, durability, strength

Bottom Line:
Avoid these. Pure and simple. I purchased a second rear wheel to replace one where the spokes had pulled through the rim on my first set. I logged 320 miles on flat Chicago roads when the spokes on this wheel started pulled through the rim on my second wheel. Frustrated, I went to Mavic's site to look for answers.

I looked at cross sections of the rim holes -where the spokes thread through towards the hub. In every wheel set Mavic makes, they either beef up this design incredibly or they add reinforcements. That is not the case with Crossride UB. Not only does this reinforcement not exist, but Mavic has also countersunk the rim at the holes, making these EVEN WEAKER than your typical off-the-shelf mass-produced wheel found in every standard bike shop.

I have to conclude that Mavic has entered the polluted world of corporate greed typical of those in the cycling world where cheating to win matters more than honesty and integrity. And here I thought this was endemic only in the US and China.

Favorite Trail:   -

Duration Product Used:   6 months!

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   -

Submitted by xmessenger

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Price, build quality, design.

Weaknesses:    design

Bottom Line:
I got into mtb back in the 90's and to have wheels with the features these have (sealed bearing hubs, bladed spokes) would cost BIG money. Hell, a sealed bearing rear hub would set you back $250. These things are a steal! They have remained true and feel stiff and are fairly light. Keep in mind, I'm riding an old high end steel Rocky with skinny slicks for street but they have felt great and fit those skinny tires fine. The only negative is that as great this design is it will be an issue should a spoke fail and the freehub design using a plastic bushing couldn't be the most durable although I've yet to have a problem and when I do I have the Hub Doc bearing kit ready.

Submitted by the.rebot a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    strong, no flex, great hubs

Weaknesses:    narrow

Bottom Line:
Great wheels! Didn't need them, but couldn't pass them up at the price. Mavic is quality and the wheels are plenty strong.

Favorite Trail:   SMV

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Giant stock wheels

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon

Submitted by Jsilva a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, relatively lightweight (1750 gr), bladed spokes, strong, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Not very stiff

Bottom Line:
I´ve bought this wheelset in early January and since then they have been used in multiple weather conditions, from wet and extremely muddy to dry and dusty.
The hubs are still running smooth and the freewheell shows no signs of needing maintenance. There are no strange noises caused by sand or other impurities. Everything works just as brand new.
About two months ago, the wheels needed to be realigned. Although I'm a lightweight rider, I generally ride rocky trails, which has been a real test to the wheelset resistance, and caused them to need realignment.
Recently, I strated using a tubeless system, so I converted my wheels, using a rim tape, which proved to be a good option. The rims hold the tires very well, and I have no problems with air losses.
I reccomend these wheels to those who want a reliable and relatively lightwight wheelset, with a good quality for a small price.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, 80mm front travel

Submitted by Uumske a Weekend Warrior from Belgium

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    bladed spokes, stiff, cheap, this is the 2010 Crossride UB (rim-brake only)

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
So far so good, weight is ok (rear: 996g, front:842g, skewers:124g). I removed the stickers, prefer my wheels like that. Really liked my old Shimano wheels (M545) but replaced with Mavic because rims were worn (V-brakes). I hope the crossrides will last as long and stay true like the 565s

Purchased At:   Van Eyck

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M565

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardtail, Surly fork, V-brakes

Submitted by Mav a Weekend Warrior from Berlin

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    - very good bearings,
- stayed true since buying
- no problems with blade-spokes (24 front and rear) and no problems with radial spokes (Straight pull spokes)
- very good freewheel-drive (fts-x) - gets a little bit louder after the first 100 km
- good breaking efficency because of ub-control
- looking good
- you can even do little jumps with them and they stay true

Weaknesses:    - frontwheel not super stiff if the terrain is very rough
- if a stone hits the spokes they are loosing the black color

Bottom Line:
I use the wheels for trailriding on my 100m hardtail with avid single digit VBRAKE an they doing a good job. because of the UB Control there is no rubbing if you breaking very strong. My Weight is 80kg (no problem for the wheelset) and i use them now for 6 months and i purchased them for 150 at Ebay.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere