Mavic Crossmax Tubeless Wheelset

3.56/5 (41 Reviews)

Mavic Crossmax Tubeless

Submitted by jhomer a Cross Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Weaknesses:    The rear wheel has developed a crack at the valvve stem hole on the inside of the rim. It is impossible to hold any air now and I must use a tube. Have been running this wheel for over two years and lots of miles. A friend has the same wheels and purchased at the same time and has the exact same crack. The crack appeared this year in my wheel and last year in my friends.

Bottom Line:
Has anybody else experienced this specific cracking problem?

Wheel was sold by jensens I presume built by Mavic.

Favorite Trail:   moose mountain

Purchased At:   jensens

Submitted by jay canavan a Cross Country Rider from ireland

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    looks are amazing, quite light, ceramic rim

Weaknesses:    price , punctures, weak valve especially rear

Bottom Line:
changed to michelin mountain xtreme tyres seems to have solved puncture probs but a very wide tyre and expensive, they need to be maintained a lottttttttttttttttttt.

Favorite Trail:   easily pleased

Bike Setup:   specialized sworks M5,full xtr,thomson stem+post, chris king head set (worth the money alone)

Submitted by Tim Dillingham a Cross Country Rider from Olathe Ks

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Strengths:    light weight durable

Weaknesses:    expensive to buy and repair

Bottom Line:
great handling light weight and durable. I got a smokin deal on these wheels and love them. I have rebuilt the rear wheel and it cost $250.00 due to a high speed collision with another rider he split the cost of the rebuild but other than that no problems neve trued or anything. I recomend these wheels for xc riders looking to cut some weight.

Favorite Trail:   miner park

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   hard rock frame xt crank set, shift pods, xtr derailer, avid sd 7 brakes, mavic cross max wheels, hutchinson tubeless tires, rock hopper handle bars.

Submitted by Tim Dillingham a Cross Country Rider from Olathe Ks

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Strengths:    light weight durable

Weaknesses:    expensive to buy and repair

Favorite Trail:   miner park

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Chris Carroll a Racer from Fortuna, CA 95540

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Leaky rims, brittle spokes, absolutely crappy hubs

Bottom Line:
Another sucker here.

Wheels suck and Mavic's customer service swallows.

".....but have you been servicing them after every ride?".

If only I could reach through that phone and ........... you know what I mean.

Bike Setup:   Epic

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2005

Strengths:    This review for Crossmax XL

Readily available
UST technology (the only good thing about these wheels)
Ceramic coating on braking surface
Look pretty when new
Lots of cool acronyms such as SUP, FTS-L hub, ISM technology (who knows what any of it means)
Up to 3 months of trouble-free use

Weaknesses:    Readily available
Engagement pawls on rear hub are very weak and will fail (appalling pawls)
Freehub body developed lots of slop
Correct acronym for rear hub is POS
Worthless customer service (you are on your own)
Way overpriced

Bottom Line:
Do not waste your money on these wheels, especially the rear wheel. The pawls will fail and the freehub body will get loose. This is not a maintenance issue. I did everything I could to maintain these hubs, including replacing the pawls three times. They are French fried junk.

Favorite Trail:   Ribbon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   Yeti

Submitted by josh impossible a Racer from Detroit MI

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    very stiff, very nice looking

Weaknesses:    the hub on this wheelset is total crap. crap crap crap. i work at a shop and so far this year we have sent 4 of these wheels back to mavic. doesnt matter the size of the rider, the hubs on these go loose. one of them came back unfixed with nearly a hundred dollars worth of labor. every crossmax sl we have sold to REAL riders has to go back to mavic EVERY year. one of my customers has waited 6 weeks now to get his $800 wheel back, and i just talked to mavic and they havent even touched it yet. it isnt even unboxed. i warn all high end riders, BEWARE!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
if you are looking for a high end race wheelset, these are great when they work. the problem is that they dont. buy yourself a set of chris king or dt swiss wheels, and you will never be sorry

Purchased At:   mavic sux

Similar Products Used:   dt swiss makes a great wheel that in my experience is lighter, just as stiff, uses spokes that arent ridiculously expensive or hard to find, and the service center at dt swiss seems to consist of more than one monkey with a wrench like at mavic. also, a chris king hub is really spectacular.

Submitted by Derek a Racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Fast, smooth, durable and they look cool. They been raced hard on a hardtail and full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen. Tubeless could definalty be lighter. The tires and the rims add up to increased rotating mass.

Bottom Line:
Strong fast racing wheels. I have turned into a Tubless fan because of the fact that I can bomb down a rocky decsent and not worry about pinch flatting. I've had one flat and fixed it with a bit of work.

Purchased At:   Gregg's

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517 ceramic rims with XTR hubs and the original CrossMax.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 1 full XTR and Norco Team Ti Hardtial full XTR.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Strengths:    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Break easily

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review (see below). After toasting my rear wheel my LBS fixed the wheel for $80.00. Luckily, I've known the shop owner for years so he gave me a deal. Anyway, I decided to give these wheels a second chance and they have been good so far. For the past year they have stayed true. Even through some tough rides. They still are too flexy for a wheel so expensive. As long as you don't pull any spokes out they are a decent wheel. I have really started to like the tubeless thing. I've had only one flat in the past year. I run lower tire pressure and the tires hook up well. Changing a flat on the trail is simple with these wheels as long as you carry spare tubes. I'm still not sure if I would recommend these wheels. They are just too expensive for a wheel that can break so easily. If you know someone at a shop that will fix these for a decent price, maybe. Otherwise, no.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, CrossMax, XTR

Submitted by Svenne Vangoethemd a Cross Country Rider from Mol,Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight,Quality,ceramic rims,less spokes and the looks!!

Weaknesses:    Didn't find any yet...unless the price

Bottom Line:
This is a revieuw about the Crossmax XL UST wheelset for V-brakes(with ceramic rims)model 2004
I had standard wheels and this wheelset was my first upgrade and i can recomend it for anyone,if you've the money!It isn't lowbudget,but hey,quality has it's price.
They run ultra smooth,they're fast(i mean,power makes directly speed)they don't need a lot of maintenance and in combination with good V-brakes they stop really good.It's just a pitty that it isn't exclusive anymore...

Favorite Trail:   houffalize

Purchased At:   VanEyck

Bike Setup:   Cross country bike w. xmax xl tubeless,rs sid team w remote,full xt

Submitted by Timmy Halliday a Racer from Rindge, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Everything...poor design, spokes pulling out, spokes bending, poor lateral stiffness

Bottom Line:
i'm glad to see i'm not the only person who thinks these wheels suck and are a waste of money

Purchased At:   Pedalsnpacks

Similar Products Used:   mavix x-517 laced to shimano lx hubs with stan's no tubes

Bike Setup:   gucci

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from NH, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Strengths:    most excellent so far in every aspect but here's the thing:

these are Crossmax "SL" -- and look at the reviews -- there are FIVE different "Crossmax" wheels reviewed here -- and not one of them "SL" - so I don't know if this is the correct product.

Weaknesses:    can't find one yet but also haven't mounted tubeless which are supposed to be difficult? - so far only tube & tires (WTB's Velociraptor & now Nokian studded (296.) Don't use rimstrip with tube (as I did at first)- and pump the tires way up to 70+ pounds to make bead seat before letting air out to proper pressures.

Bottom Line:
I have the SL disc wheel on front and SL ceramic rim wheel on rear.

So far no problems. Might try tubeless in the spring if I can find f & r UST tires as agressive as WTB's Velocipraptors as I love low low pressure for these non-stop roots, boulders and slippery-ass-trees that cover our non-stop technical singletrack out here in New England.

Don't know what these others are talking about with spokes pulling out if it even applies to SL as I said there's no "SL" review here.

Similar Products Used:   just the old Mavic metal rim brake which finally wore through so bought these

Bike Setup:   Ibis Bow Ti with Shimano XTR 950 and Avid mechanical disc brake on front

Submitted by Geoffrey Montague a Racer from St. George, Utah U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Strengths:    Weight!

Weaknesses:    Terrible Lateral Flex. Braking Surface is not consistent. Pieces of Metal Floating around in the rim. Doesn't hold a seal longer than a day.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these wheels. Euro-Trash is an Understatement. I don't like the fact that if you break a rim you are outta luck. Mavic should be better about standing behind their products. If you purchase an $800 wheelset you expect $800 of performance. I spent $250 and still feel ripped off.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Hope Titanium

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F3000 SL

Submitted by Mike Oris a Cross Country Rider from Atascadero

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Weaknesses:    Spokes pull out of wheel. Short life time.

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to my 8/31/03 review. Mavic responded back to my local bike shop. They said the wheel is past the one year warranty (15 months old) and they will not replace it. They would not offer a free rim to let my bike shop fix it. Mavic would fix the wheel for $175. I refused their offer and had them ship it back because I plan to put this money towards a new wheel set.

I am very disappointed with Mavic. This is terrible customer service on a product they know has a defect which should be recalled. I hope no one riding on these wheels gets hurt when the spokes decide to pull out.

If you are thinking about purchasing these wheels I would strongly advise against these wheels due to the problems I and others have experienced.

If you already own a set, check your spoke attachments before or after every ride. If you see cracking appearing around one or more spokes, don't ride on the wheel anymore for your own safety. If they are less than a year old, Mavic might help you out. If it is more than a year old, it is time to switch to a wheel that you can trust will not leave you stranded or even worse, might get you hurt you.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Not as light as Mavic would have you believe, flexy, not very strong.

Bottom Line:
Don't believe the hype Kiddies! I'm happy to say I didn't pay retail price for these wheels. First of all they are too damn flexy. Probably do to the low spoke count but you would think Mavic would have made the rim stronger to counter this. They didn't. And they are not as light as Mavic claims. For a wheel so expensinve I'd expect superlight and stiff wheels. Worst of all though, I pulled out 3 spokes going uphill. Yes uphill. I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, so I really don't believe I have such power to rip out spokes but I did. 1 spoke ripped completely out and the other 2 partially ripped out. Needless to say the wheel is toast. To top it off I've been waiting for over a month for Mavic to send replacement parts (new spokes and rim) and still I don't have a rear wheel. The rim finally came a couple of days ago but no spokes. Are you kidding me? Mavic apparently doesn't care for it's customers. I'm sure glad I'm not racing now or I'd be having a fit (actually I am still having a fit, wouldn't you?). Happily my LBS leant me a replacement wheel until my wheel is fixed.
The bottom line is the tubeless revolution is over for me. I've tried a couple different brands of tubeless wheels and niether pair lived up to the hype. Time for some Chris King hub and 517's.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch