Mavic Crossmax SX Wheelset

3.8/5 (35 Reviews)
Weight : 910 grams MSRP : $887.49

Mavic Crossmax SX is an Enduro type wheelset. A wheel for those who want to go big, both on trails and on jumps without worrying about durability, rigidity and product quality. By using Maxtal and Fore technologies, this wheel provides the perfect balanc

Submitted by cobym2 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, solid. Bombproof.

Weaknesses:    there are lighter options out there that are just as strong. Require periodic preventive maintenance, if thats even a weakness. Pricey at SRP.

Bottom Line:
These are for the 2010 SX, which have seen 2 different all mountain bikes and countless kilometers of all kinds of trail, including jumps, drops, DH runs and the like, WET and dry, usually wet. I like to check and clean the freehub and pawls once a year, and I've had to replace the freehub bushing (Thanks Hub Doctor!) already, and the bearings have been repacked with grease 2 times. They may have to be replaced soon. But I have not yet put a spoke wrench to these bad boys. Still true after 4 years. I've actually already put a gouge and a very slight bend in a spoke (with a branch), and lots of nicks and scratches in the rim, but the wheel is still true. Strange. Im starting to feel trapped, that I'll be using these wheels forever. Maybe Im just lucky that the hubs are so far reliable.
That said, these are around 1950 grams a pair, and I think there are other newer options that could be just as strong, but are considerably lighter, and are not carbon.

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, Knolly Endorphin

Submitted by Will

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Durable, Maintenance Free after 4 years

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
Got these put on a Intense 6.6 and switched them to a Yeti 575 last year. I ride about 3 times per week on everything from Moab style roughness to muddy alpine singletrack. No problems, stiff smooth ride and never had them trued....although they are due. Great rims, not sure what all the negative fuss is about. Maybe I just got lucky.

Submitted by Kerry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Strengths:    Rims have taken 4 seasons of riding on two different bikes riding at Silver Star in Vernon and tons of all mountain in the rocky Okanagan. Durable and light compared to the abuse they handle.

Weaknesses:    I've twice had to replace parts and have had to order the parts instead of just picking them up at the bike shop. Then, because it seems the bike industry norm, the wrong part shows up. So, the wait time is a pain the arse. Otherwise no worries.

Bottom Line:
I don't think I'd buy them again even though they're great wheels. I could buy a set of Hope hubs which would be more durable and have some Mavic tubeless rims laced up using readily available parts and end up with a bombproof set of wheels that weigh around the same weight. I'm not saying they're bad wheels, far from it. But, for me personally, I wish I had spent the money and built up my own wheels instead of buying these.

Favorite Trail:   No such thing

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   2011 Nomad. van 36 RC2, DHX Air, SixC carbon bar, Shimano DX spds.

Submitted by Ville a Downhiller from Finland

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Bomb proof, stiff and they can take a beating easily. They're not too heavy either.

Bottom Line:
They came with my bike and I've been super satisfied with them, no issues at all. I've been doing 2-3 meter drops, blasting through trails and these wheels just ask for more.

Bike Setup:   Canyon Torque 8.0 Alpinist 2010

Submitted by ashaw a Weekend Warrior from Ozarks

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome, Love em. Great engagement. Flawless tubeless setup with WTB TCS and a little Stan's goop. Light and stong

Bottom Line:
Pricey, but worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Purchased At:   online/Sage Cycles

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite with Nixon 145 up front

Submitted by woofdog a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light, but strong enough so far.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub would loosen itself every ride. Mavic support was slow and unhelpful but eventually they "fixed" the hub by loctiting the hub adjustment nut. Now the adjustment nut cannot be moved meaning that the bearings cannot be adjusted or serviced; no response from Mavic on this problem. Having adjustable bearing play on an mtb wheel is a silly idea, particularly when it doesn't work.
Wheels have much less lateral stiffness that the Hope/S-Type wheels I use on another bike. Mavic have used a narrow hub flange spacing, which results in reduced wheel strength and stiffness; another silly idea.

Bottom Line:
Poor design engineering on the Crossmax SX results in a less than satisfactory wheelset. Poor support from Mavic means I'll never be buying another Mavic product.
If the hub didn't have the self-loosening problem then these wheels would be good for light trail riding, but too flexible for more agressive use. If you like stiff wheels then this wheelset is not for you.

Bike Setup:   Banshee Rune, DHX-A, Lyrik, 2.3/2.5 Hi Rollers

Submitted by loosescrews a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    Super strong, Ride 3 times a week, XC, freeride and All mountain. Stayed true after all the abuse i throw at them. Regularly doing 10ft+ drops, Plently of chain crunching uphill. wet and dry.Mine are the 09 model. I dont know what all the bad reviews stem from. Never had a problem with the rear hub, and i have shredded my share of shimano freehubs. The SX is strong.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found. Rear adjuster did come loose a few times in the beginning but now is great.

Bottom Line:
Great wheels super strong ,reliable, and damn those hubs look cool.

Favorite Trail:   Menai

Purchased At:   Cycology

Similar Products Used:   Crossride, Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   09 Reign X0

Submitted by Senor StrongBad a Weekend Warrior from Spartanburg, SC

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    Strong and stiff

Weaknesses:    they are not the best looking for my bike

Bottom Line:
So far so good on these wheels. The engagement of the rear wheel seemed bad in the begining but now seems much better. I do not know if I am getting use to the late engagement or that over time it gets quicker? I have not had any issues with these at all. They ride fast and true and I hit everything with them. I go out of my way to run over big rocks and logs. The UST on Mavic wheels is just the best and is super simple to set-up, I have done 4 tires on them so far and have acomplished this all with a hand pump. I like the super thick spokes to. I keep shacking them to find some play but have not found any yet to date. I may be just one of the lucky ones. I wich they were lighter and probably will be going with something else soon, like the Havens or some I9's. But over all I am very pleased with these wheels. If you have a Mach 5 and want to run a 20mm front wheel and have a strong set of rims to abuse and not worry about then I would recomend these wheels to you. If you do not have a mach 5 and these wheels scare you becuase of the flexieness of you bikes rear triangle could cuase them to fail then I would stay away from them.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   Mach 5.

Submitted by pikesrider a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Price. They look nice.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub broke after 3 rides.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these wheels. They are a great price at several online stores right now, but they don't work. If you buy them make sure you have a back-up rear wheel to ride while your other one is back at Mavic.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Submitted by FizzyD a Weekend Warrior from Herts, UK

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight wheelset, strong rim, white hubs, rim graphics. Great acceleration / strength balance

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub!!! Adjustment needed after every second ride even after cross country routes. Freehub failed at 1000 miles of cross country / all mountain riding and rear bearings replaced at same time. Needed too much maintenance through a full on riding summer.

Bottom Line:
Wheels look great and are a great balance between weight and strength. My wheels were in the first batch of 09's into the UK. The rear hub is just not good enough and needs too much regular adjusting as the wheel play can be felt when you are riding. Having said that it only takes a couple of minutes to tighten up the bearings once you're practised :-) Front has been great - no issues. The rear is off back to Mavic under warranty to see what they can do about it. Having said all that... I have two friends with the same wheelset who haven't had to tighten their rear bearings once! I guess i just got a Friday afternoon job...

Purchased At:   Rutland Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT wheels, Mavic Crossmax ST

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, Fox Talas 36 and RP23 rear. XO / XTR

Submitted by GM$ a Weekend Warrior from boulder co

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Strong wheel set that stays true.

Weaknesses:    Terrible hubs. The cups that hold the bearings in place have been backing off on their own even several times a ride. This leave the wheels with lots of side to side play. The crappy plastic tool that comes with the wheels breaks on a single use when tightening the hubs. Sweet product testing Mavic. Freeride Wheels? Not even close. Learn from my mistake. Avoid these wheels. Learn from the mistakes of the guys I ride with - avoid Mavic all together.

Bottom Line:
*AVOID*

Favorite Trail:   brainard

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 0

Submitted by dswindler a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    I ride rather aggressively and the wheels stay true and hold up well to abuse. They are lightweight and work great with a tubeless setup. Having the 20mm thru-axle on the front is also a great feature. I haven't had to replace any spokes yet.

Weaknesses:    I regularly maintain the freehub body. A little over a month ago, a pawl shattered in the body and locked up the freewheel. I was 15 miles out in the boonies so it was a long return trip without a chain. My LBS tried to fix it but the body was too buggered up. They sent it in to Mavic and it's been over a month now and they still haven't looked at it. I haven't been very impressed with Mavic's service. Looking at other reviews, it seems like several other people have seen this same issue.

Bottom Line:
This wheelset stands up well to abuse, but the hub is cheap and prone to breaking at inopportune times.

Favorite Trail:   Loon Lake

Purchased At:   Bobs Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 0, Fox Talas 36, SRAM Components

Submitted by runawaymachine a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    Strong Wheels! I love how fore drilling eliminates the need for rim strips and makes the rim/spoke connection stronger. Great all arounder.

Weaknesses:    Special spoke wrench...Boo Hoo.

Bottom Line:
Strong, stiff, and fast rolling. If you can perform 10 minutes worth of simple freehub maintainance every 1000 miles then no problem. If the 09's are lighter and more durable then great, but those white hubs are too trendy for me.

Favorite Trail:   Pony Express

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   King/DT/819.

Bike Setup:   El Guapo w/Lyrik Solo, X9, Holzfeller.

Submitted by Element 22 a Weekend Warrior from North York ON Canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Strengths:    2009 version now has a new hub and is 160 grams lighter this year. Both Front and rear hubs have the QRM which allows you to adjust the play in the bearings with a special tool provided.Super tough rim and Zircal spokes. New graphics and White hubs make these stand out.

Weaknesses:    None these wheels work great.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line this wheelset is tough and can take hits. I personally love the fact that these wheels are lighter than most XC wheelsets out there. The instant power transfer from the new rear cassette body is a welcome change over previous models that Mavic had out. If I had to get another set I would get another set of these for sure. For someone who is looking on getting a set get the 09 model. I would say anyone who is doing anything less that say 12 foot drops and so on these would do it. Now if your bashing these really hard on knarly rocky terrain I cannot say these will hold up..I guess the DeeMax are for that.

Favorite Trail:   Buckwallow

Similar Products Used:   Tried the Easton Havocs, Sun Ringle STR8Track, Mavic Crossline.

Bike Setup:   Fox 2010 TALAS RC2 160mm up front with a ISX-6 rear shock at back with 150mm travel. The bike is a 2008 Opus Maadh limited edition. Shifting is all complements of Sram X9 and the power travels through a RaceFace Atlas crank. Tires are Eskar S-works. Steering is through Raceface NextSL and Deus and the chicken switches are from Hayes using Stroker Aces.

Submitted by trailbike a Weekend Warrior from Demver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Strong and Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Hub cracked after 1 year of riding and cassette body is fried. $185 to fix.

Bottom Line:
Nice looking wheels but hub is unreliable for the price.

Favorite Trail:   The one that never ends...

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   El Nomad

My Crossmax SX hubs are too wide for my Rockshox Revelation Forks. 96mm/100mm

I've just upgraded my '09 Crossmax ST's with a set of '12 Crossmax SX's. I've got a set of Rockshox Revelation Dual position forks. The new front hub with the QR caps is exactly 100mm across. However, I've measured my forks and there's only a 96mm gap between the QR mounts. So, the question is; Ha ... Read More »

Mavic Crossmax SX vs Easton Haven vs DT240s + EN821

As the title says I'm looking to replace my current setup : Inferno 25 + Formula hubs with one of the above. Price that I can get them is very similar. I'm planning to use them with UST tyres (mavic maybe?) for AM / Trail riding. My weight is 180 pounds all geared up. What should I get witho ... Read More »

Crossmax Enduro VS SX

From what I can tell the major difference in these wheels is that enduro uses a 19C rear rim width vs 21c front and back of the SX and is 95grams lighter. are there any other major differences (besides color)? has anyone ridden both sets of wheels?Read More »

Can i convert those mavic crossmax sx from 135 mm to 142 mm through axle

I have a paire of crossmax sx like this picture now they are with a setup of 9x135 and I want to go to 12x142 is it possible ? [ATTACH=CONFIG]862592[/ATTACH]Read More »

Haven vs CrossMax Sx, or? - AM wheel advice

I'm currently ridding on Mavic 823 on hopepro. Love this wheel-set for the durability and stiffness - but the are pretty darn heavy. I'd like to upgrade to a livelier wheel-set while retaining some of the durability and stiffness of my current wheels. My riding style is technical trail riding ... Read More »