Mavic Crossmax SLR Wheelset

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 600 grams MSRP : $1000.00

Mavic CrossMax SLR MTB Wheelset. Benefiting from years of Crossmax dedicated R&D and World Cup racers' feedback; the Crossmax SLR offers superior system performance with the use of Mavic's key technologies. Whether racing or trail riding, the result is th

Submitted by philman27 a Cross Country Rider from perth,australia

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2011

Strengths:    super light weight,best roll ever.

Weaknesses:    price price service cost

Bottom Line:
these are for real bikers weight watchers these are a must have

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycle

Bike Setup:   xtr

Submitted by Wayne a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Looks, low weight, and low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Weak rims, poor quality stock bearings, rear hub requires frequent maintanence, and VERY poor customer service.

Bottom Line:
If you do not have to pay for them or maintain them...use them. For all others, use Shimano or another brand. These wheels look great and work great - for a while; then they need to have new bearings installed. Then they need replacement rims (they crack down the middle of the bead bed under the rim tape). And they frequently need the rear hub lubed with mineral oil. I do not think a French mistress is so needy!

I own two older sets of crossmax wheels (one is from 2000) and they both are still running strong, even after much more off road riding. So do not think I'm some fatty or a dirt jumper. The SLRs have about 80% of their hours from road training (not much need for a full suspension ride in Dallas) so they have lead a fairly pampered life compared to the old crossmax sets I own.

Overall, I want to warn possible buyers to be totally aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this product, then make their own judgement...I did not. I bought them based upon my older crossmax wheel sets and found they do not measure up.

Mavic will not cut ANY slack on obvious product weaknesses - if you are even "one hour past warranty". (I'm three months out.) My LBS said Mavic support is weak and that they are arrogant. So: Sponsored racers rejoice, but buyers beware!

Favorite Trail:   Northshore Grapevine

Purchased At:   ebay bike shop

Similar Products Used:   XTR, LX, and older Crossmax wheelsets.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale prophet with carbon lefty, easton carbon riser bars and seat post, XT brakes/shifters, XTR cranks/derailleurs, crossmax slr wheelset, and ergon grips.

Submitted by REvers a Cross Country Rider from Stavanger

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Front wheel seems to hold

Weaknesses:    Managed to wreck the rear wheel in a couple of months. After repairs, same problem re-occured again.
I have switched to custom built wheels - bigger rim in the rear.
SLR's seem to be too lightweight, compromising strength. I am 85 kgs and can not ride them hard on rocky surface: They can not handle it.

Bottom Line:
Too weak for hard riding - very good service from shop and Mavic, but the wheel keeps breaking down. Too much money, not enough strength / durability.

Favorite Trail:   Ullandhaug

Purchased At:   Futurumshop in Nethe

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax SL, custom built wheels.

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola Ti

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, California USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Light as a feather, at 1585 grams w/o valves; Eye-candy appeal has serious bling to it; Both Ti skewers weighed only 87 grams; Very stiff and responsive- you can FEEL the torque, on every turn of the cranks; you cannot help but go faster, on this wheelset; Bladed, straight-pull spokes are incredibly strong; I can go on and on- but I'll stop here...

Weaknesses:    Cost as much as some performance car rims; Magnet setup for cyclocomputer, is a bit tricky; Rear freehub pawls are super-loud

Bottom Line:
I recently got hit by a car, riding my bike. Both Mavic XC717 disc rims were tacoed badly. It was the driver's fault....so I made sure she was going to pay for my new rims. The settlement was enough for a new bike- but my frame was actually OK. I went straight to the LBS the day I got the money and snatched the Crossmax SLR rims I have been drooling over, every time I visited the LBS. Despite being in pain- it felt great just buying those wheels.

My first impression once the wheels were mounted was.... WOW!!! These wheels accelerate like a 50hp motor was driving your rear wheels. Maintaining 25mph on the flats has never been easier. The huge reduction in rotating mass(in my case- was 1.2-lbs) results in pedaling ease even a 400lb man can accomplish with pleasure. Because of these wheels- my riding skills are well below the limits of my bike. It will be nothing but fun trying to catch-up!!!!

If you can afford them- this wheelset will bring your riding pleasure to an entirely new level. But be careful, these wheels are freeride/DH material. Get the Mavic Crossmax XL UST disc, or Mavic Deemax(the ultimate DH wheelset). My verdict? You simply cannot go wrong with Mavic's race pedigree. The world's best pros ride them- now YOU can too!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park(24hrs/Adrenalin course)

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X221/XC717/XM117; Bontrager Race X Lite Disc; Stan's NoTubes Olympic Disc

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale F2000 SL Optimo - Headshok DLR80; Thomson Masterpiece seatpost; Specialized Phenom SL saddle; Shimano XTR FD; Shimano Hollowtech II crankset; SRAM X-0 RD, twist shifters; Kenda Klimax Lite race tires; Ritchey WCS Carbon bars; Avid BB7 brakeset.....equals a 21-lb XC race monster

Submitted by craig hudson a Racer from glasgow

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    very light, quick handling, climbs like a mountain goat. absolutely flies up the hills and then lets you have lots of control on the way back down.

Weaknesses:    easy to damage due to lightness.

Bottom Line:
fantastic, best money I have ever spent. Go and buy them!

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Purchased At:   solidrock cycles, torrance, glasgow

Bike Setup:   120mm front travel hardtail, with tubed tyres and 35psi 26x2.26 tyres

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Kirkland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, laterally stiff, nice to look at. The front mavic lefty hub is stiffer, I run a 208mm front disk, and the old hub used to flex.

Weaknesses:    None. Just noticed that the rear hub is noiser (racheting sound is louder) than old cannondale hub. Hopefully it will get quieter with use.

Bottom Line:
Great Wheel, nice and light and stiff which makes them good for climbing.

My old set of mavics 3.1 ust's front wheel started to get loose and often after every ride so it was time for a rebuild or new wheels.

I'm limited due to lefty fork so I'm glad these come direct from the factory.

Favorite Trail:   any without cars