Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc Wheelset

3.66/5 (32 Reviews)
Weight : 745 grams MSRP : $998.98

The Mavic CrossMax SLR is easily the finest cross country race wheel the world has ever seen. Improved for 2011 with Mavic's patented ISM3D technology (machining of lower bridge and sidewalls), the Crossmax SLR Disc reduces inertia to its maximum. This pr

Submitted by AG

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2014

Strengths:    These wheels are nice looking and perform very well, I ride my 29" Giant Anthem on rocky trails usually three times (100-120 miles) per week.

Weaknesses:    The ITS-4 freewheel body has broken after 2-3 months of use, I started hearing noises and the wheel charges against the disc brakes, so when I dismounted the wheel to check it out, it came apart from the cassette. I know I am the fourth one with the exactly same problem here in the area. I wanted to know if this is a design issue at Mavic. My weight is 180 lbs.

Bottom Line:
I like the wheels but I am disappointed because of the broken axis. I did not expect any issue that soon, these are not cheap wheels!

Submitted by Rick a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Appearance, weight, strength, instant engagement

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this 29er wheelset in Aug 2012 shortly after it was released and made available in Canada. I have been riding bikes all my life, but just started XC racing last year in May and had no real experience with serious riding or what parts/equipment are best. I purchased a 2012 Giant XTC comp 29er a year ago and after switching the brakes, drivetrain, bar, stem, seat post, and seat to drop weight I wanted to go tubeless and shed more weight. I spent about a month and researched wheelsets that would be light but strong enough for a 200lb rider. I spoke with several people, bike shops, and read reviews including this website and I have to say I am glad I dismissed the reviews on this site as they all seem to be reviewing older wheelsets and not the new 2012 redesigned SLR's.

I love this wheelset and compared to the Giant wheels I had it dropped the weight on my bike by 2 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Southern Ontario, Canada

Duration Product Used:   Aug 2012

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant XTC Comp 29er, Shimano Deore XT drive train, Deore XT brakes, Schwalbe

Submitted by sun81tzu a Cross Country Rider from Maastricht, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    After 2 years of riding my rim is broken and my hubs have been broken several times. Do not make the same mistake as i did DO NOT BUY MAVIC WHEELS THEY ARE CRAP!

Bottom Line:
Mavic no service just extreme expensive garbage

Purchased At:   came with the bike s

Similar Products Used:   xtr

Submitted by TWE a Cross Country Rider from sydney,NSW, australia

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Weaknesses:    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bottom Line:
mmmover priced

Favorite Trail:   stromlow

Similar Products Used:   aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bike Setup:   aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Submitted by cascade1 a Cross Country Rider from Ellicott City, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    weak rims - weak, weak, weak!

Bottom Line:
purchased Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset at LBS on 11/25/11. Ordered Maxxis High Roller UST tires online. Set up wheelset tubeless ~ 35 psi. I'm about 190 lbs. On 5th or 6th ride on 12/24/11, dented the rear rim on a rather benign downhill. Had to put in a tube and headed for home. About 15 minutes later, folded the front rim going slightly uphill in another relatively benign section. Returned wheelset to LBS for them to contact Mavic for repair/replacement. Mavic refuses to honor warranty because I was "actually riding at the time of damage". They want $450 to return to the factory for repair with no promise of how long it will take. Screw that - no telling how long these flimsy pieces of crap will hold up next time. Better to be out $800 than $1250. Boycott Mavic - everything you read about the arrogant, insensitive customer service is true. Go with DT Swiss, Easton, Shimano - anything but Mavic. Wish I would have read the reviews before a believed the LBS that these were "bombproof" wheels that will long outlast my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   2010 Stumpjumper Elite, Shimano XTR, Fox 32 RLC fork

Submitted by CoolTouch a Racer from Sunny California

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, weight

Weaknesses:    maintenance, cost

Bottom Line:
Bought these when I built my bike from the ground up. I wanted something that looked unique and were light. Only thing close was crank bros cobalts. Front rim has stayed true and never had a problem. Rear rim has required to be trued on occasion and the freewheel assembly MUST be replaced about every 8 months. Very poor design - plastic rubbing on metal. Eventually I broke the rear rim and replaced with another 2011 SLR...had to be trued after 3 months. These are good rims, but they are for people who are sponsored and will get a new set every season. If you get a set, you WILL need to change the freewheel assembly ($50)

Favorite Trail:   West Ridge

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   shimano xtr. dT swiss

Bike Setup:   Blur LTc, All mountain, All carbon, RIDE 100+ MILES A WEEK IN SANTA MONICA HILLS

Submitted by eurwayne a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2011

Strengths:    Look nice & fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Rear rim cracks (now on the third rim) and Mavic makes up reasons why they will not warranty the rim. (too much air pressure, used Stan's...blah, blah, blah.) And they are too expensive!

Bottom Line:
The rims are light, but very weak. I have a metallurgist friend who has examined the rim and his diagnosis is that the rim is too thin and the alloy is not strong enough to handle high milage riding. DON'T BUY unless you plan on replacing the rear rim every season. It costs roughly $130 each time you replace the rim and Mavic ALWAYS manufactures a reason to disallow the warranty. Maybe they should stand behind their products...or make products which last.

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa Creek Colorado

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Performance Bike brand, and stock Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet with XTR.

Submitted by adipermadi a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2011

Strengths:    so light! and i like the color combination

Weaknesses:    it's French Product! so worried with durability...

Bottom Line:
So far so good

Favorite Trail:   Rindu Alam, Telaga Warna, Cinere, JPG

Purchased At:   Maxi Bike Indonesia

Bike Setup:   TREK 8500 with XTR Group Set

Submitted by vaki a Weekend Warrior from Bangkok Thailand

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight and can be riden with tube or tubeless

Weaknesses:    No problems -- love my wheels

Bottom Line:
I read a lot about the noise these wheels are supposed to make but I haven't heard anything from mine. I ride about 120 to 180 km a week, weigh 85kg, all kinds of conditions, mud, rain, dust, rocks, mtns and road with no problems. I wreck occasionally as I like to push the limits -- again no problems and the wheelset is still true after two years. I like these wheels so much that I just bought a second set as a back-up ($500 on ebay) to change from 1.95 lt racing tires to 2.2 bomber off road tires. I run them tubeless and highly recommend this wheelset.

Purchased At:   with bike 2nd set on

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT, hope mono-mini hyd disk brakes, SRAM xx derailleur set, Shimano XTR crankset.

Submitted by 0nza a Racer from Santa Clarita,CA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, strength, looks

Weaknesses:    Creeking noise, price paid for "noisy" wheels, WEAK Mavic customer service!

Bottom Line:
Wish I saw the previous reviews before I bought these but I didn't. Developed a loud creaking noise and couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from...checked the frame pivots, bottom bracket, headset, etc...and nothing. For the heck of it I put an older wheelset on and bye bye creaking! Went on line, including mtbr reviews and it definitely is an on going problem. Contacted Mavic but guess what...? No response what so ever! For such an "Established" company, they have HORRIBLE customer service!
So I oiled all the spoke/hub and spoke/rim interfaces and it goes away...temporarily. So I guess I have to do this every few rides or so...pretty stupid for such high end, expensive wheels. With all the background and experience a company like Mavic has you would think they would have fixed this problem by now! My advice...get something else!!
BTW, if it wasn't for the creaking and crappy customer service, I would have given the wheels 4+ chilis!

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   Mavic SL. Ellsworth XC

Bike Setup:   S works Epic, SRAM XX

Submitted by critterdesign a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, Light weight, Reliable and True

Bottom Line:
Great wheels, I like that I don't have to over tighten them to feel like they are locked on. I have never had a problem with them being out of true. I am not the heaviest rider at 160+gear, but I havn't noticed the creaking sound others have mentioned. I definately want these wheels on all my mtn bikes from now on. However I wish they were a little more economical. If I need another set I will need to watch for a great deal.

I love Mavic wheels, When I bought my road bike I upgraded to Mavics as well although I did go with a lower end road wheel to save on costs.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Mavic Aksium

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo XTR (07) 25lb

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    ~Strong like bull
~Sub-1600g light
~Never trued in 4800 miles!
~Looks like a true race wheel
~UST certified tubeless(zero spoke holes inside rim)
~Titanium skewers only 87g/pair

Weaknesses:    Minor Gripes:
~Frequent freehub service(yearly, for avid trail riders - but easy, DIY job)
~Red anodization peeling at hubs
~Expensive replacement spokes @$11/spoke!)
~High cost of ownership - but how many light XC wheels can easily last a decade?
~Seals nearly ALL non-UST tires(can ZTR Olympic do that?)
~Bladed spokes act as sails in cross winds

Bottom Line:
I have read many reviews of lightweight XC wheels...but it was the April, 2008 VeloNews article of factory Cannondale XC rider Roel Paulisson, riding the last 21 miles on a BARE RIM at a UCI World Cup event that finally sealed the deal for me. According to a Mavic race technician - the badly flared rear Crossmax SLR wheel was placed on a truing stand after Paulisson secured his UCI standing by finishing that race...only to be PERFECTLY STRAIGHT AND STILL ROUND!!!!

I told myself, "this is my NEXT wheelset!" Sure enough one day, I was struck by a car driven by a girl chatting on her cellphone, demolishing both Mavic XC717 wheels and my bike too. The first place I went after receiving the settlement was my LBS...just to buy those wheels.

Two years later and nearly 4800 miles of hard desert and forest trail riding - these wheels remain unscathed. I have taken many a fall...and they still are straight as an arrow. I started out at 180lbs and these wheels climb so well...I am now 25lbs lighter simply because they inspire so much confidence uphill and I cannot get enough of these wheels' blistering speed downhill. Sure, Stan's ZTR Olympic wheels(strongly considered them) are nearly a pound lighter - but who wants to true them every ride, deal with minimum rider weights and worry about your non-supported tire blowing off the rim?

The 2007-2008 Mavic Crossmax SLR is clearly the FINEST XC race wheel Mavic ever made. Not even their excessively-milled, problematic hubbed, 2009-2010 Crossmax SLR can compete. At a fairly robust, 1585g - my SLRs are literally BOMBPROOF. I occasionally huck small, 2ft jumps and sail down rock gardens and these wheels simply refuse to DIE.

Guys, there is a fine line between compromising weight and reliability...and the 2008 Mavic Crossmax SLR stands neutrally between that line, with complete authority.

Cheap/Strong/Light....pick TWO.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24 Hours of Adrenalin course)

Purchased At:   Palm Desert Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XM117
Mavic XC717
Bontrager Race X Lite Disc
Roval Traversee' E5 Disc(can you say, "pinggg?")

Bike Setup:   19-pound Cannondale race hardtail.

Submitted by etfireman a Cross Country Rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, Racey (S.L.R.?)

Weaknesses:    Baseball cards in the spokes sound

Bottom Line:
OK, wanna race? Great wheelset. But WTF with the ping-ponging noises while riding? It took me a while, but I felt brilliant after figuring out that the noises are coming from the spoke end / hub interface. Then at the Tour of CA, I talked to a Mavic rep who basically said, "yeah, they're supposed to do that." Really? And after all these years I've missed out on that b'tchin' high end wheel sound... Damn! BTW, I'm not talking about the nice buzz-saw sound that your King hubset makes. Nope, it's the spokes (they're supposed to do that, you know.)
Anyway, I'm about 220# with all my gear and am not the smoothest rider... Otherwise, they've been a reliable (noisy) wheelset.

(Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! I can't use the word b'tchin' cuase it's a bad word. Naughty, naughty bad word!)

Favorite Trail:   my off rode commute to work each day ;)