Mavic Crossmax SL Disc Wheelset

3.96/5 (52 Reviews)

-The Crossmax SL, an even lighter version, is designed for intensive use in Cross Country racing, for racers who refuse to accept compromise. Using the ISM technology developed on the road, the profile of the rim has been made considerably more lightweight. This reduction in weight does not compromise its stiffness, which remains as good as on the previous versions. Finally, these wheels always offer the possibility of riding tubeless, for even better performance, and reducing the risk of flats from a pinched tube.

Submitted by shupack a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    Light, strong, good looking.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary(ish) parts

Bottom Line:
I picked up a used set of '06 wheels for $100 because they need some work. I got a new set of bearings, a free-hub bushing, seal and pawls on the way from hubdoctor on ebay for $60. For everyone complaining about mavic parts sources, I hope you see this. Now that there is aftermarket parts supply these are great wheels.

They are a HUGE improvement over the stock wheels on my Trek, even before the rebuild. I did clean all the gunk out and lube the free-hub.

Submitted by jfw432

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2013

Strengths:    UST

Weaknesses:    Mavic does not support their products except in Europe. Mavic uses proprietary junk in their hubs and they don't sell parts.

Bottom Line:
Pretty much the most expensive throw away set of wheels I've ever owned. If something in your hub breaks, it's game over. My bearings started binding and I had to remove the current bearings, measure them, and place a special order at a bearing store to replace them ($$) because you can't get a kit. Kind of a hassle but not awful. None of my LBS's will touch them. Well, now the axle is broken and I can't get a replacement. Rebuilt a friends wheel with new bearings, cones, and axle for $15 but Mavic insists on using their own special parts which they won't sell if you live outside of Europe.

Never again...

Submitted by super-p

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    light weight, stiff, good tubeless set-up

Weaknesses:    proprietary design, lack of LBS service-ability

Bottom Line:
I purchased a new bike that came with these wheels stock, I also have many friends who have used these wheels. The problem is if you damage them or have a problem with one trying to get it repaired through Mavic is a lost cause. I damaged the front rim and when my LBS tryed to have the wheel repaired by Mavic we were told that Mavic does not support the repair or parts for this product any longer. I personally would not purchase any Mavic product again, nor would I reccomend Mavic products to anyone else. I realize that many products have a finite life span but Mavic is forcing customers into purchasing new products rather supporting the customer who already has purchased them. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM MAVIC. NOT THE FIRST TIME I HAD THIS EXPERIENCE WITH A MAVIC PRODUCTS.

Submitted by srpinaz a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    These wheels are bomb proof. I have caught sticks in the spokes, hit big drops, rock fields, and still no issues. These things roll well, stay true, are tubeless ready, and have never failed me on the trail.

Weaknesses:    The only issue I have had with these is that the freehub needs overhaul more often as it gets older, but this is probably true of most wheels. Oh, and the spokes are a bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong with a set of these wheels!

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from bendigo,victoria,australia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    looks great, fast rolling, these wheels are strong and stay true under all kinds of punishment.

Weaknesses:    freehub,

Bottom Line:
i wrote this mainly after reading the frustration of other mavic owners about wierd noises chain suck and general problems with the freehub,the noise you here like your tire rubbing is coming from the nylon bush in the freehub,this is easily fixed,go to hub doctors website or fingd him on ebay,they sell a kit with a replacement ceramic bearing to replace the nylon bush,complete kit comes with bearings seals instructions, am doing a rave you bet this was cheap to buy easy to fit,I bought these wheels second hand a year ago first ride had all the above problems so disapointed,bought a kit awsome never had a problem since, ALL I CAN SAY IS HUB DOCTOR WOOHOO.

Favorite Trail:   woodend fingerpost rd singletrack

Similar Products Used:   where do i start.

Bike Setup:   2009 specialized carbon epic.

Submitted by Aleks a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    SUPERLIGHT, super strong, aesthetically amazing!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
These rims are absolutely amazing. Not only are they the lightest of the light, they stay true and are incredibly strong. I have given these rims quite the beating with (not typically XC riding like they are designed for) but also doing various trial (yes, not trail, TRIAL) biking and messing around at the local skatepark! They hold up perfectly and make your bike look 100 times cooler on top of that. Best rim ever!

Favorite Trail:   IC King

Purchased At:   eBay (came with bike

Similar Products Used:   nothing as good as these

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 0 stock + all raceface parts

Submitted by kinimod a Cross Country Rider from Loire valley, France

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light & fast, they look good

Weaknesses:    freehub maintenance hassle on the FTS-L versions, almost totally fixed on the last FTS-X model

Bottom Line:
Been reading most of the reviews and couldn't help smiling about the "excellence" of Mavic service. Hey guys .. ! you're buying FRENCH wheels here, meaning you will have a FRENCH fashioned cust support: meaning NO support. there is no after sale service culture in france. period. If you buy these wheels you'll have to fix them by yourself by buying parts on ebay. Once you accept that you'll be happy with the wheels (like me )

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I owned both versions (1690 and 1550 grams) of the Xmax SL disk wheels

Bike Setup:   Scott scale carbon with juicy five, XT gear and R-seven absolute

Submitted by voodoope a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, stiff, look nice :-)

Weaknesses:    After 2 yrs use the rear hub that carries the boss got worn. Have tried to change the boss and nylon ring to no use. The hub drag the cassette around when not pedaling and makes the chain move and slap around.

Bottom Line:
Dissapointed in the fact they did not last longer.

Will try the SLR's when I can afford them :-)

Favorite Trail:   Sørmarka

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR and Ritchey

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar carbon team, full XTR and Richey components.

Submitted by jdr120 a Cross Country Rider from Duncan, BC

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Strengths:    BOMB PROOF!! I'm 6'3"/185, and ride aggressive. They take what ever I give.. Great rolling resistance. No flex in corners. Also, sweet looking!

Weaknesses:    None so far.. I'd say price, but you get what you pay for..

Bottom Line:
I purchased a used set (1season old). After a few rides, I punctured my rear tubeless tire at the top of the last summit on the 7 Summit trail (Rossland BC). 2200Meters and a 9km decent would have taken me hours to hike down. I decided to write the rim off, and ride down. I rode about 80% speed, ripping down technical, rocky terrain.. Got to the bottom, WHEEL WAS STILL TRUE, I bought a new tire, and the rim still holds air!!! I vow to always ride this rim!

Favorite Trail:   Copeland Forest

Similar Products Used:   Nothing that comes close to it's performance.

Bike Setup:   2008 Stumpjumper Expert, XO drivetrain.

Submitted by TTTURNER a Cross Country Rider from LA QUINTA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2010

Strengths:    The Mavic rim and spokes are as tough as nails, and take a trainwreck to get out of balance.

Weaknesses:    The freehub body needs very regular maintenance and annual replacement because of bushing wear.

Bottom Line:
This wheel is very light and strong and it will stay true longer than any other. But, unless you like routine maintenance and regular replacement of parts, the freehub body is not for you.

Favorite Trail:   BUHOFF

Similar Products Used:   You name it!

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux Prototype, Fox(Push) front and rear, Sram XO, Mavic SL Disc

Submitted by Lucifersworld a Racer from Apeldoorn, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, Durable

Weaknesses:    Corrosion on spokes, makes it hard to adjust rim

Bottom Line:
Good wheels, first time I used the wheels, I experienced fast acceleration although it was combined with relativley lightweight set of tyres.

Purchased At:   Friend (used)

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 719- XT hubs

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon

Submitted by B1k3rchr1s a Cross Country Rider from Barnsley

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Outstanding Lightweight wheel set and surprisingly strong. They look fantastic and weigh only 1520g per pair. Superb acceleration and rolling. Honestly never ridden anything as smooth.

Weaknesses:    Bearings I have now had 2 pairs and the rear wheels on both have suffered from the bearings startingto seize. Sets of these are readily available and it's a fairly easy job to change, just a bit annoying.

Bottom Line:
Buy these wheels and roll with it, you will not be disspapointed, if the only thing you have to put up with is changing the bearings in the rear every couple of years, then when you drop your mates on that killerclimb it'll make it all worth while...Superb!

Favorite Trail:   Hagg Farm XC

Purchased At:   Pauls Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax slr

Bike Setup:   Giant team carbon, sid team, full xtr.

Submitted by pabsw a Cross Country Rider from Hampshire

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight, stiff, smooth rollers. don't have that annoying dragging sound when going fast with air resistance. improved my aveerage speed by about an mph and a half which I didn't expect (on my road circuit) great acceleration no wind up like with my old xc717's. saved a pound in weight. are true as true can be. when combined with a stiff frame the power transfer is amazing

Weaknesses:    rear wheel is gonna need stripping down and the parts reset as it's just started waggling about a .25mm from side to side. not really concerned but I think I'll get them serviced. but not bad for a second hand wheelset with a 3-4yr history!
I thinnk that they will not handle drop-offs too well. I'm not aggressive and weight 180lb

Bottom Line:
get them!
cheapish if you can get them second hand but ensure hubs are sound. expensive if not.

If you can imagine an exponential graph with price against performance, at the beginning you pay a little more for a big gain in performance, at the top end you pay big money for a little gain. these wheels are a big gain over the xc717's.

I run with tubes and 1.5" tyres and mounting is dificult. LBS advised washing up liquid to ease tyre into place. when inflating you hear unnerving popping sounds, this is just the tyre setting itself and is normal. You don't need rim tape!

Favorite Trail:   oxdrove way