Mavic Crossmax Enduro Wheelset

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

-Derived directly from the Crossmax XL, the Enduro shares many features with its predecessor. Fore drilling, UST welded, FTS-L hub, straight pull spokes with M7 nipples : these are all characteristics which make this superb wheel one to use for all aspects of your cycling experience…

Submitted by Jan a Cross Country Rider from Western Mass

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    Robust, have not required truing at all in spite of some abuse.

Weaknesses:    none really, a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Very happy with wheels to date. Have remained true and hubs have not required any repairs.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Similar Products Used:   first disc wheelset I have owned. I was equally happy with previous Mavic CrossLink wheelset.

Bike Setup:   05 Titus Racer-X

Submitted by andy james a Weekend Warrior from chilterns

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    Light,smooth , bling,UST tubless

Weaknesses:    Crap hubs..had 2 rebuilds

Bottom Line:
The hub has worn on these within 150 mniles of XC riding. Had an apology and a rebuild under warranty once and even with an upgraded freehub body and pawls they are f""""d again. One more chance i will give for mavic to rebuild them then i will push for the refund.

Great rims..lovely tubeless system hubs from hell

Favorite Trail:   AFAN

Purchased At:   High on BIkes

Similar Products Used:   mavic 317 with hope xc...sunrim mtx with hope xc

Bike Setup:   Enduro s-works 06 full xt running gear..fsa afterburner cranks , middleburn rings..thompson post and stem . easton ea70 bars.fox talas 32 xtt,

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Cheltenham, UK

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2007

Strengths:    Really light and run very smoothly and reliably

Weaknesses:    have never majorly gone out of true but they haven't stayed perfect and I have only done XC riding with them

Bottom Line:
Very light and fairly strong; certainly well made and good value as well.

Favorite Trail:   Cleeve Hill

Purchased At:   with bike - CRC

Similar Products Used:   no other complete wheelsets

Bike Setup:   BeOne Drone - XT, Skarebs, Tioga Red Pheonix 2.0 tyres, raceface kit

Submitted by Mauro a Weekend Warrior from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Strong & Light! ... do you need anything else?

Bottom Line:
I use to ride real All-Mountain style, with regular small jumps & drops (sometimes not so small). Rough rocky terrain is common here. Well so far the wheels turn flawless, and I never needed to realign it so far (I only retensioned the spokes after brake-in). Both hubs turn fine and the bearing are notchless.
Very recommanded!!!

Favorite Trail:   Arbostora

Purchased At:   Bike-Discount

Similar Products Used:   CrossMax 1st series, X517

Bike Setup:   ETSX-70, Marathon SL, Hayes Mag Disk Brake

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    Strong rims, light(ish), front wheel has been flawless.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is terrible.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2005 Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc wheelset. After one year of riding (aggressive XC, no drops bigger than 4 feet) the hub body has seriously worn down (at the end where the bearing fits in). This is due to play between the hub body (where the pawls are) and freehub. This play (which is designed to be there - something to due with bearing wear according to the local shop) causes the freehub body to twist - at the end opposite the bearing - under high torque when you are in a low gear (like your granny gear), grinding the freehub against the outer rim of the hub body - where the bearing is - as you climb the steep stuff. After a year of riding, the edge of the hub is so worn out that the play in the freehub (and therefor the cassette) has increased and now moves several millimeters in those high torque situations - causing the chain to skip and ghost shift. Talked to several shops, and apparantly this happens with the new SLs as well. Very poor design. The only solution is to replace the hub - which is ridiculous after only one year for such a high priced product. Mavic should stick to rims and leave the hubs to more competent companies. This probably won't be an issue if you do mostly downhill, but if you like serious climbing (not just trekking up fire roads but pushing it hard up steep technical stuff) then the rear hub design is going to make you mad.

Bike Setup:   Sant Cruz Heckler with Float R, Vanilla RLC, SRAM XO drivetrain, Chris King headset, Thomson stem and post, Easton Monkeylite CT2 bar, Hope mono mini, Eggbeaters, WTB Pure V, Kenda Nevegal

Submitted by John Mullins a Weekend Warrior from Blountville

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2006

Strengths:    Weight, sturdiness, tubeless option

Bottom Line:
I weigh 190 and ride aggressively when I do ride. These wheels instantly made my bike better. I'm able to accelerate to clear the rock sections that before were my downfall. The bottom line is they made my bike better, and so far they haven't let me down in anyway. As for stickers peeling, I peeled my before I put them on the bike, stealth mode ya know.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont State Forest

Similar Products Used:   stock wheels

Bike Setup:   Trance 3: Hayes mag 9 brakes, xtr derailleurs, thomson seat post, sette bars and stem, panaracers

Submitted by Brian Spring a Racer from Mass. Earth

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    There Mavic. smooth rolling hubs. indistructable, I know I tried.

Weaknesses:    stickers peel.

Bottom Line:
I have raced them, done drops with them, have had 2.1 tires or 2.3 tires and they have been trued once in two years(only because I botched a landing)hub still run mint, never had to touch them.

Favorite Trail:   MOAB

Purchased At:   Gear Works

Similar Products Used:   crossmax XL, crossmax XT, deemax, crosslands. all still in use and have a hard life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro,stumpjumper and bighit-all running mostly XT components, marzocchi forks.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Middle of the road, WA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    I got the tubeless disc ones as a replacement when I had to replace a broken frame. The old bike had rims and I had to get with the times.

These wheels seem to be the correct balance of light and might. They are very sturdy and you give up little in the way of a weight penalty. Unless you ride the smooth stuff or weigh less than 170lbs you need more beef then the crossmax sl's or xl's have. These wheels feel very light and most mortals won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Weaknesses:    None yet - I will be watching the freewheel and hubs closely for durability issues as this has been mentioned in other Mavic lines as a problem area.

Bottom Line:
Unless you're a little dude (I weigh 190) or ride in the smooth stuff only, you need tuff wheels that can handle the babyheads, jumps, drops and fun that others avoid.

My climbing seems easier and I have confidence in descents - when I stop thinking about the bike and riding becomes second nature with no issues, THATS when I'm happy with a product.

I'm very happy so far and will post an scalding update if these wheels disappoint me in any way.

Purchased At:   milewidesports - ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager and Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Klein Palomino vx, Reba, Avid, Thompson, Shimano

Mavic Crossmax Enduro Wheel Tire System (WTS)

[url]http://m.pinkbike.com/news/First-Look-Mavic-Enduro-Specific-WTS.html[/url] [QUOTE]There are no plans for a 29-inch version as Mavic feel 650b/27.5-inch wheels/tires are likely to be the choice for enduro racers in the coming years.[/QUOTE]Read More »

Enduro Bearings for Crossmax slr

Looking for just to replace the front bearings on my Crossmax slr wheels. The originals are 6804d but I cannot find the replacements on Enduro's site and phone calls and emails go nowhere. I went to Superfly Cylces here in Boulder which is a distributor of Enduro but they did not have a clue. Pret ... Read More »

Will Mavic DeeMax Axle work with Crossmax Enduro

Removed my rear wheel to do a hub cleaning and when I removed the skewer the lockout Nut fell off with the drive side with the axle treaded inside it. I can only find DeeMax Rear Axles online. Does anyone know the specs of these two axles and if they could be interchanged? does any of this stu ... Read More »

mavic crossmax enduro

mavic crossmax enduro ust how many miles can I put on them before I need to replace the bearings? I have 1200 miles on them now.Read More »

Crossmax Enduro Rear Wheel?

Anone have one or know where I can find one? Or a good deal on a similar UST rear wheel? I have the Enduro front wheel, and it has been great, but running an XT/XM819 rear and would like a bit of weight savings. There were bargains on the Enduro front all over the place but not many rear wheels. ... Read More »