Mavic Crosslink Wheelset

3.52/5 (77 Reviews)

Mavic Crosslink

Submitted by Lawhoo a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, clean machining of rim walls, smooth hubs

Bottom Line:
These wheels are great. I ride really rooty and rocky trails and weigh about 175. This wheelset has held up really well over the past 4 years; they have stood the test of time. The front wheel has never gone out of true. The rear wheel is slightly out of true, probably because of some hits it has taken. The hubs are awesome. They spin like so smoothly. B

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517s, Trek Matrix

Bike Setup:   Trek 990 frame, SID, XT/XTR

Submitted by Peter Buch a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    Strong. Looks good. Doesn't make any noise.

Weaknesses:    Not Really. A little heavier than the top of the line.

Bottom Line:
I have this in the front as a replacement. I'm 175lbs and give it a good pounding. but I only do huge hits in emergencies. I think spokes should be professionally worked on because they are at a specific tension. I find it hard to believe someone folded a well maintained Cross Link Unless he's huge person catching sick air.

Favorite Trail:   Bull/Jake Combo

Similar Products Used:   XT 517 rims

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike Ti, Cross Link in fr, XT/517 in back Duke Race fork. XTR Front Rear Deraileurs

Submitted by Colin from Arlington, Va

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    front wheel is awesome havent had to true it yet. both wheels spin so beautifuly always. pretty light too.

Weaknesses:    rearwhell...dont know wahts goin on there. comes out of true alot. free hub body is aweful. i got these free from my brother though so some of it could have been a result of his abuse. and im sort of afraid to really take these guys off any real drops they dont look so sturdy with the radail lacing and all.

Bottom Line:
good wheels. if you have acess to a truing stand and the patients to true your rear wheel every few rides its well worth it. if not dont bother

Bike Setup:   nishiki TI frame pretty much full XTR

Submitted by Casey from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    The Front Wheel ROCKS! I've hardly had to true this thing, and it's held up to 2 years of riding Phoenix's nastiest rockiest trails.

Weaknesses:    The Freehub on the rear wheel is garbage. Don't buy the rear wheel!

Bottom Line:
The Front wheel is the best I've ever ridden, the back wheel is very durable, except for the freehub is garbage. Stay with a shimano/king/hugi rear hub!

I give the front wheel 5 chillies, and the rear wheel 2 chillies.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   XTR Hubs on Bontrager Valiants, XT Hubs on 517's

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback Grassroots Team, XT Components, Psylo SL, Hayes Hydraulics

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Orange County

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    light, excelent technology

Weaknesses:    Dont crash... thats all

Bottom Line:
Dont crash, i folded one of these in half going downhill... super good and light wheel for anything else though

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Similar Products Used:   Hugi with sun rim

Bike Setup:   Specailized FSR MAX backbone

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Strengths:    Very stiff, spins smoothly, looks snappy, stays true pretty well

Weaknesses:    hub, bizarre spoke pattern, stickers

Bottom Line:
Bought just the rear wheel, "slightly used by lightweight female rider" on ebay for 80 bucks with shipping and all. I have put maybe 400-500 miles on it, with 10% of that being very rugged, rast, technical areas with large jumps and dropoffs (mountain terrrain), and the rest road (gotta get groceries). Anyways, the wheel has stayed very true and stiff, but I noticed yesterday that the hub has spun itself loose. Not sure if it's Mavic's fault, or the seller's. We'll see.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Elden network

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   1999 Haro escape 7.4, XT drivetrain, Judy C shock, bontrager jones tyres, raceface chainrings, avid 1.0 cantilever brakes

Submitted by billy a Cross Country Rider from farmington

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    pretty light, stay true, stiff and im a 230+ rider

Weaknesses:    stickers

Bottom Line:
these wheels are really good for the price i paid, i reccomend them to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   island lake

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   nuke proof

Bike Setup:   homegrown 8000

Submitted by G. a Cross Country Rider from Ft Collins CO

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    Durability, strength

Weaknesses:    None, price? weight?

Bottom Line:
I weigh 130 lbs, which is a lot more forgiving on my equipment. Having said that, I've ridden this wheel HARD for 2+ years and I've never even had to get it trued. This is good b/c sounds like mavic's customer service sucks. I think this is a good all-around XC wheel.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   LX/mavic wheel, LX/Ritchey wheel, Alivio/Arraya wheel.

Bike Setup:   '96 Bontrager Race, X-link on the rear only

Submitted by Stephen Smith a Cross Country Rider from Georgetown, IL, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    weight/dollar

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
After using this site to do my research, for a 155 lbs rider there can't be a better wheel value out there!! You'd have to spend ALOT more money to really gain anything at all. These wheels are strong, light and fast and after two years of riding them I had to true them for the first time last week! My riding is contained mostly to the midwest(flatlands of Illinois) but I hop and jump off everything I can! These wheels are awesome!! Buy them!!

Similar Products Used:   cheap stock wheels and various road wheels

Bike Setup:   Fully rigid Trek 850 with NO original parts

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive...lightweight, pretty decent wheels for the money, although for about $30 more I could have gotten a better set of shimano/mavic wheels.

Weaknesses:    Oddball components. Company won't deal with you, unless you are a dealer...most dealers don't stock parts. I always carried a spare rear wheelset with me in the car, when I went on long trips.

Bottom Line:
Decent wheels for the money, as long as you live near a good LBS. Now I see that they have beefed up the rear hub, and called them "Cross-Ride".
I replaced mine with a set of Velomax Climax's, for about the same amount of money...we'll see how they hold up.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT/Mavic 517's, Velomax Climax's.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, Marzocchi Atom Z2, XT/XTR, Race Face, Easton, Velomax Climax's

Submitted by mack daddy a Cross Country Rider from beaverton

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    cheap, good for weekend worrier

Weaknesses:    weak. I tacoed the rim with a fairly minor hit (dont think I even fully compressed my shock.

Bottom Line:
The wheel set was the last low end items on my bike, I upgrade everytime I break something, and they lasted six months. This is one of the shortest life cycles of all my gear (except drive chain in the winter).

Purchased At:   wheeleorld

Bike Setup:   Titus racer X, Fox float,

Submitted by Alan from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    Wheel stays true.
Rims have held up well

Weaknesses:    Freehub SUCKS
Mavic service SUCKS

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that after a year, the freehub gave out. Mavic SUCKS for service and doesn't respond to emails. Their dealer listing has shops in the area and one shop quoted me $65-105 to replace the freehub and they would not sell me a freehub so that I could avoid their $25 charge to put on a effing freehub. And the freehub is proprietary to Mavic and can't be substituted. After this no way would I buy a another wheelset from Mavic. I have a decent wheelset that's dead because I can't get a freehub. So screw mavic freehubs, I'm taking the hub out and relacing the rim with a Shimano compatible freehub.
Mavic rims are decent but I'll never take a chance on Mavic wheelsets again.

Favorite Trail:   somewhere in nocal

Purchased At:   wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Racing since 1990, many products tried.

Bike Setup:   Used on a Breezer and a Gunnar, both set up for XC racing

Submitted by Mack daddy a Cross Country Rider from Beaverton Or

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, reliable, light, and take a good beating without much complaining.

I ride three to four times a week with lots of climbing, downhills, rocks, mud, etc and they are still running like new.

Weaknesses:    FLEX. Stickers were pealing before they were on the bike but who cares.

After adding some tension on the spokes the wheels performed much better,

Bottom Line:
They are a good cheap wheel set, want top of the line pay for it. If you are stepping up to disk brakes and dont have the cash for all the upgrades it a good place to start.

Favorite Trail:   Rogers camp

Purchased At:   Wheelword

Bike Setup:   Titus, phsylo, race face, magura and any other toy that can take a beating.

Submitted by robby a Cross Country Rider from chattanooga, tn

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    very light
they stay true very well
affordable

Weaknesses:    stickers were crappy right out of the box

Bottom Line:
i really love these wheels, apart from the fact the the stickers are crap, i have had no problems with them.. i have ridden them very hard for a year now and they have NEVER gone out of true.. for being as light as they are, they hold up very well.
sure, crossmax wheels are better, but they're too expensive for most of us..

Purchased At:   online

Mavic Crosslink Disc Wheelset - Can't find any information on them

Recently, I bought a set of Mavic Crosslink Disc wheels laced to 9mm QR Mavic Crosslink hubs for $80. The stickers are a little trashed, but the wheelset is in good condition and cleaned up quite nicely. The problem is, I can't find anything out about them. I have manuals from Mavic's website, bu ... Read More »

Noleen Crosslink fork question

Suspension gurus, I recently picked up a Noleen Crosslink ELT fork for my brother's older mountain bike, as it was the fork he had ridden on it for many years; he preferred the rigid blade of the Noleen to telescopic forks. Anyways, I noticed that the fork has some different adjustment possibiliti ... Read More »

Welding disc tabs to a Noleen Crosslink fork

Framebuilders- I have seen photos of a Noleen Crosslink fork with disc tabs welded onto it, and was thinking of having this done to a fork myself. What are your opinions on this? I really know nothing about welding aluminum- is it safe to do this? Thanks in advance for your opinions!Read More »

Noleen Crosslink Forks - for sale

I'm guessing there are a few die-hard Proflex and Crosslink fans in here. I'm selling my much loved but little used carbon Crosslinks. They're on eBay with the heading: Noleen Crosslink 80mm Easton Carbon Suspension Fork and the item number is 190356073840. Have a look - I'd like them to go ... Read More »

Parting out a carbon 5500 w/ Crosslink fork?

Hey guys. I'm thinking about parting out my '98 K2 5500C on eBay. Is there a market for Crosslink forks? Any guesses on how much I could get for it? I think it's a cool fork, so I'd rather hang onto it if I can't get a decent amount. Thanks! [IMG]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/STFUnoob_ ... Read More »