Mavic Crossline Wheelset

3.1/5 (10 Reviews)

CrosslineThe Crossline a strong and durable enduro/ freeride wheelThat offers up killer performance while still giving you incredible value at a budget price.The Crossline is a light and responsive wheelsetThanksTo a new ITS-4 freewheel,This new wheelset will let you choose your lines even onThe most remote singletracks. Disc brake specific profile: no braking surface Rim drilling:Traditional Rim eyelet: single Rim internal width: 21 mm c Rim joint: pinned Spoke m

Submitted by Kameron a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Look cool, light.

Weaknesses:    First and foremost poor, poor customer service. The problems all began when I noticed my freehub was not spinning at all when freewheeling. I took it apart which was easy enough, cleaned and lubed it. No good. I took a close look and it appeared that the steel engagement teeth on the hub were marring the soft aluminum freewheel and they were. I took it to my local LBS who tried to do the footwork on the warranty. Mavic denied it stating the freehub was a consumable part and would not warranty it. Upset I sanded out the gouges and put the hub back together. Much better but I still noticed that there was a catch. I took it apart and noticed that the engagement flange on inside the hub was slightly warped. I took it back to my LBS and they again contacted Mavic regarding it, Mavic said they would look at it but made no promises at all. If you buy any mavic product online (which has to be the majority of bike part purchases) they treat it like a used part and will not warranty it. What is a company if it does not put the customer first and stand behind their product?! Not a fan of mavic anymore based on this experience. Do not buy these wheels.

Bottom Line:
Poor design of the freehub/rear hub.
Inner flange of rear hub (where it engages with the pawls) bent.
Poor service and poor design.
Dont care what others say...a bent hub flange is no good...the free hub wont spin freely on it.

Favorite Trail:   anything on beacon hill

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   WTB wheels
Azonic wheels

Bike Setup:   2009 rocky mountain slayer

Submitted by Allrotor13b a All Mountain Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    Rim strength
Looks
Rear hub
Durability
Strength:Weight ratio

Bottom Line:
People who are bad-mouthing the freehub on these are ignorant. The ITS-4 hub is phenomenal. The pawl system uses a lightweight oil like the kind used on your chain and requires relubrication from time to time. The process requires two cone wrenches and about 5 minutes. These are super-easily serviced hubs that are xtremely reliable. The rim on these wheels is the extraordinary EX721 (same as the indestructible DeeTraks' rim) and rarely require any (if any) truing. The freehub sounds great, like a BMX hub, and these wheels will go to the ends of the earth with you. For this price, GOOD LUCK doing better. Great job, as usual, my French friends!

Favorite Trail:   Technical ones

Similar Products Used:   DeeTraks

Bike Setup:   Hardtail trail bike, SLX 2x9 cranks/Saint cassette/XT everything else
Nevegal 2.35s

Submitted by Biggups a Downhiller from NYC

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great strength to weight ratio, very adjustable and servicable hubs, 4 pawl rear hub gives excellent engagement, rims are very strong, nipples fit standard spoke wrench, straight laced spokes, look sweet, price is awesome even at retail. I found the crossline front on sale for $110 at price point, then 2 months later they had the rear for sale for $165 and now I have the set. That was 3 years ago, now they going for $400 because people know how awesome they are.

Weaknesses:    rim is a bit narrow, specially when using tires wider than 2.1. but will work with 2.35. little flex but to be expected in such light wheels,

Bottom Line:
I put these wheels thru hell and back and still in almost perfect condition. They were used for 3 years in heavy snow/rain, mud, sand you name it. I've jumped 20 foot snow doubles to 35 foot monster slopestyle dirt jumps and these never really budged. Originally purchased to lighten up my slopestyle bike and do more xc riding. When I found out how strong they are started taking them to the jumps and never had a problem. The hubs loosened up a couple times but it soo easy to tighten them with the mavic hub tool that it came with. The rear hub has excellent engagement with the 4 pawl system. There was soo much torque at the rear wheel I actually bending teeth on the freehub body. Thats the only thing I have to replace on it but thats after 3 long years and many pedal mashing miles. It uses a lightweight aluminum freehub shell so no surprise it wearing out. The good news it that these hubs soo easy to service and replace parts. Bearings are easy to find but I still haven't replaced even after riding months in the snow. Basically you could use these on jump bikes to xc and be happy. The weight is perfect and price can't be beat. The rim is a bit narrow but you not going to be running huge tires with light wheels like this. I run 2.35 small blocks and it fits great, also tried 2.0 kozmiks and that real sweet. I've gone thru many wheelsets over the year and tend to destroy rear hubs. The fact that these crosslines lasted this long with no problems after going thru all the abuse I put down tells you how strong these wheels are built.

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill Mt- freeride trail

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Tried all rims from sun and mavic as well as just about every hub out there.

Bike Setup:   I had these wheels on a giant reign and KHS XCT. Used for jumping, tech decents, freeride, and xc.

Submitted by fuse a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2011

Strengths:    About the only good thing I can say is that they haven't taco'ed yet.

Weaknesses:    Poor build quality. Spokes don't hold tension. Freehub engagement is sketchy. Freehub drags.

Bottom Line:
Uneven spoke tension right out of the box. Had to true them after a couple of rides. Now they need truing badly. Spokes don't hold tension properly. Freehub drags enough to make the wheel spin. Generally, these are crappy wheels, not worthy of an AM/FR bike.

Favorite Trail:   Martha's

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   Alex Supra D on Shimano XT hubs. Mavic XM819 on Hope hubs.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR7

Submitted by Rumney512 a Weekend Warrior from Acton, MA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Strengths:    Relatively low price and weight for the advertised use

Weaknesses:    Right out of the box the spoke tension was very uneven, which resulted in the rear wheel coming out of true very quickly. After 2.5 months of cross country and moderate free-ride use the freewheel started slipping (failure to engage when pedaling), and then completely locked up. In addition, although relativley minor, the rear hub constantly needed tightening. They give you a little wrench to adjust the hub in the field, but it became more of a chore than an option.

Bottom Line:
I question the reliability of the freewheel system and the use of these wheels for anything beyond moderate cross-county.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods, Nam

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Specialized Pitch Pro

Submitted by Rutherknox a Cross Country Rider from brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    strong

Weaknesses:    will let you know

Bottom Line:
bought these to take the 2.5" hookworms that I didn't want on the small rims that came with the bike. Apart from doing that job very well, I have genuinely had the opportunity to hit these with a hammer(overtightened cassette), and they are still straight and clean. Haven't tried the trick on anything else, but this would suggest to me that these will be pretty reliable.

Purchased At:   99 Bikes

Similar Products Used:   mavic 117 rims

Bike Setup:   Shimano m770 cassette. maxxis hookworm tyres

Submitted by SeanO a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction Co

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Strengths:    Cool looking....and thats it

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel with major issues,

Bottom Line:
Every two rides the free wheel body needs to be replaced, This wheel set came on a high dollar Yeti 7, with the money I spent on this bike I expected better. My local shop is great (Ruby Canyon) and have been fixing the issue but I have to keep going back the new fix is a lot of money for a dt swiss wheel set or continue to be without my new bike for weeks at a time well my wheel is fixed. My advice would be to ditch the mavic and go dt swiss at time of purchese

Favorite Trail:   Holly Cross

Purchased At:   Ruby Canyon

Submitted by aliikane a Downhiller from san j

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    light for freeride wheelset, reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    only come configured one way. not sure of longevity.

Bottom Line:
these are a great wheelset for the price. also, they are pretty light for a freeride set. cool straight pull hubs. strong. have yet to tweak them. however, not sure about longevity of the wheels. after a year, my rear wheel has a little bit of play in the hub. not sure if it can be fixed or not.

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   dt swiss

Bike Setup:   intense 6.6 fox van 36

Submitted by eruizela a Cross Country Rider from Hacienda Heights

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Strengths:    Feel is very solid with the right tires

Weaknesses:    Weight, They made by bike feel a little heavy

Bottom Line:
I like em alot but there is a weight penalty. If you climb like I do, then you will feel the weight after an hour or 2.

The front wheel set up should use the 20mm TA. I went from QR to 20mm and loved the 20mm. I have a rock shox pike 454 with a Big Betty up front, The 2omm Crossline frnt wheel just hook up and eats up the bumpies.

Cool wheels for a freerider, downhiller or a thrasher.

I ride more XC and enduro type stuff, so I don't dig the 2055 grams per set.

I might move em to a future build for a heavier bike.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon (whittier)

Purchased At:   Buena Park bikes