Mavic Crossland Wheelset

3.87/5 (149 Reviews)

Mavic Crossland

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Foxboro,MA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Strengths:    Tubeless,Lite weight,just 4.3lb pair, strong ,24 spokes,sealed hubs run great,I love this wheelset,no problems at all after 2 years.

Weaknesses:    none as far.

Bottom Line:
I love this wheelset,no problems at all after 2 years. Hubs still running great,no aligment needed. Light weight, can use disco or v-brake. Great value !

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317 , Vuelta xpr , specialzied DT x430

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper comp with complete XT group, fox F100 RL shock , schwalbe Rocket Ron tubeless tires.

Submitted by icemonkey a Cross Country Rider from Eagle, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap and very very strong

Weaknesses:    HEAVY

Bottom Line:
Well I ride a lot and when I upgraded to 9 speed I needed new wheel and these were very affordable with the mavic name. I didnt have the time or inclination to build up my own so I nabbed these. Overall they are very robust. In fact I would consider them not just bomb proof but nuclear bomb proof. 2 - 3 years riding and they are still true - never seen that before. Ive not even taken a spoke tool to them - deliberately as I keep hoping they will die and I can buy a lightweight set. No problem with the hub (that I refuse to service) but im about 170 ish. I do ride a lot - 3 times a week minimum. For cheap, excellent but at recommended retail there are better.

Favorite Trail:   Abrahams Ridge (today, tomorrow something else)

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   Phew! Lots and Lots and Lots of em

Bike Setup:   97 Lavadome, xt/xtr with xc 600 marzocchis

Submitted by emisteve a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    Strong for Heavy loads and long distance

Weaknesses:    Free hub sometimes slips

Bottom Line:
Have used the Mavic Cross land on two bikes ridden 9400km's from Just north of Islamabad Pakistan til Chiang Mai, Thailand via India, Nepal, Tibet. Mostly asphalt but some rugged roads in Tibet. The wheels are still going strong. Not a problem except for several days after 5500km when the free hub started slipping. Checked the Mavic dealers servicing site and it seems a simple procedure to service the free hubs. Being a lazy bloke I love the fact that the wheel hubs have cassette bearings it takes a lot of worry out of servicing. If there is a problem with the ball races just toss out the bearing and slip in new ones complete. Haven't changed them yet.
Worth buying.

Favorite Trail:   The roads of the world

Similar Products Used:   Sun rims Shimano XT hubs

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F500, Shimano XT components, Cross land wheels, disc brakes

Submitted by Not So Fast a Weekend Warrior from North New jersey

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Weaknesses:    As stated in previuos ratings weight of rider may be a factor in rear hub functional. I weigh 215 lbs. There was a grinding noise coming from the rear hub. I had it serviced about 6 months ago. The grinding started again today. I seems to happen when free wheeling.

Bottom Line:
Other 200+ pounders have had problems with the rear hub. Count me in as unsatisfied.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Submitted by aweewawah a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham,WA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Cheapest UST wheelset I know of, seem to be holding up well and staying true

Weaknesses:    rim is very easy to ding, not causing any out of round issues, but if i was running rim brakes i think it would affect stopping power and brake feel considerably.

Bottom Line:
Cheap. I wanted to try tubeless without going broke, and i am very happy I did. It feels like my bike is 5 pounds lighter when riding (not when carrying it!). much better acceleration, it actually seems to have firmer grip on rocks and rough surfaces, the same amount of pressure feels like less so you get better traction and WAY less rolling resistance. tires are very easy to mount once you get the hang of it, it takes some practice though. i did have a couple of pressure losses due to the bead breaking, luckily i didnt lose all the air and was able to air up on the trail, but if you are running tubless it becomes even more important to carry tubes with you when riding (kind of ironic, no?). I also recommend one of those CO2 tire inflators. It seems like it takes several rides to really break them in and get the bead to set real nicely (althought I am running non-UST which might also be the problem), but once you do they keep air great, ussually only losing a few pounds over sveral weeks or even months. Ive had tubes that where worse then that! Stans is the real holy grail of tubeless technology though, not too long ago i noticed a hole in the sidewall of my rear tire that i could have shoved a small screwdriver though. All the sealant seemed to have dried up, which will happen if your tire stay on the rims for 6 months or more. I was about to go ride with some friends and didnt have the money for a new tire so i unseated the bead, put some more Stans in there, and went riding (with a couple of tubes in my backpack of course). that was 2 months ago and i havent done a thing to the tire since. Bottom Line: if you want to go tubeless for cheap, these are the only wheels I know of. Make sure you use lots of Stans Notubes though!

Favorite Trail:   Evolution

Purchased At:   Jakes Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   none in the UST category

Bike Setup:   Kona Manomano, Maxxis non-tubeless tires, Stans no tubes sealant

Submitted by Horhe a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, disc and rim brake compatible, strait pull spokes, sealed cartridge bearings.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find replacements for strait pull spokes, even though none have broken yet.
Ugly yellow stickers, which don't come off easily.

Bottom Line:
I've beaten these wheels as hard as I dare on my Rockhopper, I've raced a season on them, and I've toured on them (carrying the entire 40lbs+ load on the rear). The bearings still roll smooth after nearly two years, including one winter's worth of Humboldt's finest mud. It was well over a year before I had to true them.

Basically, if you're looking for a cheap, reliable, strong, low-maintenance wheelset then this is for you. If you're ordering them through a bike shop, try to get some extra spokes along with the wheel set, so you can avoid the pain of tracking them down years down the road.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper, dual duty as a mountain bike and touring bike.

Submitted by Deppy a Cross Country Rider from Miami, Fl

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2008

Strengths:    Super strong, Reliable, and pretty smooth rolling for such an affortable wheelset.

Weaknesses:    none whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
I have two Santa cruz Superlights. One that I use to train and one to race. My training bike has the crosslands and I always considered them to be as good as the crossmax until I threw ceramic bearings on the crossmax. Bottom line: if you rode either of my bikes blind folded; you wouldnt know which bike has what wheels. (and the crossland's are 1/3 or more of the price.

Note: I have been beating my training bike for over two years with the crosslands, and have not trued those wheels once.never. It's mavic.

Favorite Trail:   Greenslick

Purchased At:   Active Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax (IMO)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight.

Submitted by thomas hilliard a Cross Country Rider from braselton,ga,usa

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    rear hub is absolute joke

Bottom Line:
rear hub loosens , for any number of reasons.This throws off the drivetrain.i dont think the rear hub lasted one ride before it started loosening.

Favorite Trail:   everyone

Purchased At:   biketown

Similar Products Used:   bontrager select

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise idaho

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2006

Strengths:    price, performance, reliable

Weaknesses:    rim brake sidewall looks goofy

Bottom Line:
Very reliable I going to buy another set for my hardtail, easy tire mount IF you follow instructions the newer generation of tubeless tires are easier to mount, I run Stans sealant and rim strips in the wheel, forget about airing the tires back up out on the trail if they fail which is a rare occurence pop the Stans rim strip out and install a tube, the stock UST strip is substantially more difficult to get out.I have put thousands of miles on a set of tires and I am convinced this is the most reliable set up Mavics costlier wheels are great if you can afford them, I will NEVER return to inner tubes again.

Favorite Trail:   oregon trail area

Purchased At:   peerfromance bike

Similar Products Used:   stans conversion with 717 rim brake mavics

Bike Setup:   2006 Heckler built up as heavy duty trailbike

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from st. louis, mo.

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    mavic quality, sale price and looks. They role forever and stay true. What more can you ask? Yesterday, I hit a small stump with the back tire and shot off the trail into the weeds. The tire lost 15 lbs. of air when the bead popped. I just aired up the tire and kept on truckin! The rim is still true. Enough said.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Try em, You'll like em!

Favorite Trail:   the chubb

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   Bike OEM's.

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant NRS 1. Schwinn Moab 1.

Submitted by Ivan Castanos a Weekend Warrior from Hermosillo,Son. México

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    Great price for the product, i feel I got a little more than I payed for.is lighter than my old wheelset. sealed bearing cartridge.

Weaknesses:    none that I can tell, although it seems like a little flex on the rear rim, but still haven't figure this one out.

Bottom Line:
I like them, people keep on complaining about tire mounting, if they read the manual they would know about soapy water takes care of everything, that gives me at least more confidence that the tire seats properly on the rim. they spin forever lets see for how long, I expect'em to last. I like to give maintence to my bike on the "easy" stuff, i don't mess with suspension issues,so I'll try and comeback in the future if any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Correcaminos Culiacan,Sin

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   shimano low ends (can't remember model), mavic 717 on shimano XT hubs.

Bike Setup:   Supelight, Manitou Minute 1:00, velociraptor tires

Submitted by Ike a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong, tubeless, good freewheel

Weaknesses:    None that I can tell

Bottom Line:
It's a great tubeless compatible wheel for a great price. It's a hell of a lot better than what comes stock on most bikes too.

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser Light

Bike Setup:   Columbus Thron Steel HT, XT rear, LX front, Hayes 9 hydrolic disc brakes

Submitted by Fernando C a Weekend Warrior from San Fernando, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    Price, UST, Strength

Weaknesses:    A bit hard to mount tires on

Bottom Line:
I bent the original lower end Mavics (i believe the 217's) that came on my Giant. Then the originals that came on my Specialized. I wanted to go tubeless and I am on a budget so I decided to try these. One of the best upgrades I have done (it's a toss up between my fork and wheels). I am a clydesdale which I assume is why bent those other wheels. These ones haven't even come out of true yet. They spin forever and are oh so smooth ! Get these if you are on a budget and want something durable and tubeless.

Favorite Trail:   Red Box to Switzer

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Other lower end Mavics

Bike Setup:   Specialized XC Pro, FSR. Crossland wheels, Kenda Blue Groove up front with Nevegal's out back. Manitou Minute 4 fork. Fox Triad shock.

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought these rims because they were recommended by the bike shop tech as good rims to switch to disc brakes. I had a hell of a time getting the tubed tires on and ended up taking them to the bike shop. They told me they just over inflated to about 100psi and they popped out of the inner tubeless track and then backed it off to the proper psi. Sounds tough if I was out in the field with a crappy hand pump. All in all my rocky pittsburgh ride was great. My bike needs a tune up soon so I will see what the shop tech says about the rims and if they needed too much adjustment. Later.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat