Mavic Crossland UST Wheelset

• Front and rear body: Aluminum
  • Bearing: QRM

Submitted by icemonkey a Cross Country Rider from Eagle, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, if on sale

Weaknesses:    The freehub often comes un-greased

Bottom Line:
Do you have these? do they click loudly? STOP immediately service the freehub and add grease. Mine came new without ANY grease on the free hub/pawl interface and for some reason it eats grease. I end up stripping the freehub at least three times a year just to grease it. Even at that the pawls are getting very worn. Having said all this the wheels have stayed true through my mad riding and have yet to fall fail. They are cheap though. Removing the freehub is very easy though 1 bolt and then just pull it off.

Favorite Trail:   Abrahms Ridge

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   more than there is space

Bike Setup:   1997 steel Kona lavadome with full xt/xtr and marzocchi xc700 ('07)

Submitted by axekid423 a Cross Country Rider from elkridge, MD

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    tubeless, nice hub, no problems until recently and was used before i got it

Weaknesses:    rim bent in recently but psi may have been too low

Bottom Line:
nice wheels. im not sure how much they cost new b/c i bought a used bike and they came w/

Purchased At:   came w/ bike

Bike Setup:   cannondale 2010 f5 w/ rockshox tora 302 coil u-turn

Submitted by aroundoz a Weekend Warrior from Nelson, BC

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    They have stayed straight and true.

Weaknesses:    Poor seals. Debris gets into the freehub body. 1st time it caused a grinding noise. Had it serviced and same thing happened again and caused the freehub to seize which turned my bike into a fixed gear. It's being serviced again and will see how long it lasts this time.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 235 and ride more AM than CC and I have been surprised that these wheels have stayed true. If it weren't for the freehub issues, they would get five chilis. I don't ride in wet conditions/mud so surprised this is happening.

Favorite Trail:   High Drive in Spokane

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Bike Setup:   Prophet 3Z

Submitted by Richard S a Cross Country Rider from Southlake, TX 76092

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    UST, Stiff, stays true

Weaknesses:    Rear axle breaks easily

Bottom Line:
This is my second bike to ride with Crossland wheels. I have been very happy with them. I weigh 250, so when I broke my rear axle I understood that my weight was a factor. That said, I was surprised to learn that this is a common problem with this wheelset. I have about 2cm' break off my axle. I've been waiting 2 months for Mavic to ship a replacement axle to my bike shop, and it's still not in stock. Fortunately, the bike shop loaned me another wheel to use in the meantime.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore - Lake Grapevine

Purchased At:   Mad Duck

Similar Products Used:   2nd pair of CrossLands

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush

Submitted by Interloper a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    straight spokes, build quality, tubeless, looks

Weaknesses:    rear axle
weight but theese are cheap!

Bottom Line:
Great wheels had no issues for just under 2 years. Dont do large drop offs and weigh 80kg so not horrid stress on the wheels. However like others report here broken rear axle. Clearly a design fault. So why the outrageous cost on a replacement?

Similar Products Used:   multiple shimano, WTB and mavic wheel sets

Bike Setup:   07 Jamis XCR Expert

Submitted by Quentin a Cross Country Rider from Eleanor, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Always true, rim holds up well to abuse, easy to seat the tire w/ a hand pump

Weaknesses:    Rear axle

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with the wheels until the rear axle broke (~ 2 years of use). ~ 2cm of the threaded end of the axle broke off, leaving the wheel wobbling all over. Mavic will only sell service parts to a distributor and the axle is $45. My riding is a mix of cross country and all mountain and I won't say that I'm easy on the wheels. Functionally, I was very happy with the wheels. I am slightly disappointed with the durability.

Favorite Trail:   Eleanor Park

Purchased At:   Pathfinder WV w/ the

Similar Products Used:   Cheap wheelset from my rockhopper

Bike Setup:   06 Cannondale Scalpel 1000

Submitted by Guy a Weekend Warrior from Miami Fl

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Super strong. Smooth. Spinning is continuous and flawless. Looks Great. all in one. tubeless, with tubes, v-brakes or disc. Quite light.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Its just awsome. people like to buy super expensive things just to buy and feel good but they never compete or race. This wheelset is darn good. highly recommended if you can't spend $400-$600 on a wheelset. can't go wrong!

Purchased At:   Online bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossride and crosstrail (can't afford it)

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2. Xtr, Mavic, Manitou, Thompson and Easton carbon.

Submitted by D Thomas Lamourine a Weekend Warrior from Old Lyme

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light!!, stiff!!, smooth... OK... and look good too!!

Weaknesses:    none ...... so far

Bottom Line:
SO far they are WAY better than the stock Shimaro/Sumrim cheapies that came on the bike. Much stiffer, truer, smoother running. Just got the rear.

read all the complaints about these cracking. but they are XC rims. Not "All Mountain" and I'm guessing that most people who have had issues with them are younger and more All MTN riders, that ride a little harder then they where intended for, and expect these light weight wheels to be stronger.

I'm a gezzer, (OK 40+) and ride more of a single track/dirt road type trails with little or no drops, so I'm guessing that I'm not going to have an issue ( I hope)

Now they are replacing them with the crosstrail probably to get rid of some of the bad hype but if you can get a Crossland and ride less aggressive then I think you'll love them over normal cheaper wheels

Favorite Trail:   Rocky point LI, NY

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Shimaro/ Sunrim

Bike Setup:   K2 Apache 5/ Sram x-9 drivetrain/Avid BB7 brakes... bla bla bla Very light bike!

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    Strength, serviceability

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far.

Bottom Line:
I am a clydesdale (250 lbs.) and race (16 times usually per year). I have not had any problems with these wheels what so ever. I have had to true them once at the end of last year.
I run tubeless all the time and recommend it to anyone. I have used regular UST tires and have used regular tires with Stan's fluid. Either way works fine with these wheels. For UST tires you can mount them with a floor pump, but a air compressor works the best.
I don't know what the other people were complaining about. I weigh 100 lbs. more than he does and ride very aggressively and never had a problem. So for the money you can't go wrong.
BUY THESE WHEELS!!!

Similar Products Used:   Custom wheels

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel

Submitted by dave from boise

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2007

Strengths:    reliable,strong.

Weaknesses:    rim brake surface looks dweeb if you are useing disc.

Bottom Line:
I do not know what the hell you guys are talking about in regards to reliability, I have 2 sets of these wheels and have had absolutely no problem with them however I am quite religious about maintainence are youse knuckleheads? or do you work for some other wheel company?

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   2004 Ibex tropphy hardtail, 2006 Heckler.

Submitted by Vibrato a Cross Country Rider from Silvis Illinois

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive, they look good

Weaknesses:    Axles!!!

Bottom Line:
200.00 for the wheel SET, 50.00 to replace the rear axle. Now I've broken it twice!! If you're less than 150 pounds or never leave the ground, good wheels, if you're rough on a bike, you may not want these.

Favorite Trail:   Any in Dupont

Purchased At:   Little Aydes, Pekin Il

Similar Products Used:   Stock WTB's, Shimano's

Bike Setup:   07' anthem, xt dual controls w/ hydro disks, external bearing crank, etc.

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from gainesville, ga

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    UST, rims are fairly strong and stay true

Weaknesses:    Hub is complete crap, shims in freehub come loose, a ceramic bushing inside the freehub wears down and causes play in the freehub, causing shifting and cassette problems

Bottom Line:
Buy only if you plan on replacing after around 600 miles of mtb. Mavic does not know how to make a serviceable, quality rear wheel. 1 time shame on you, 2 times shame on me. Never again will I buy mavic. xt/ rhynolites - $150 - 4500 miles and counting

2 chilis for working well for 6 months.

Favorite Trail:   bull mountain

Purchased At:   ebay - rear wheel

Similar Products Used:   mavic crossmax (lasted longer than crossland) but too expensive to fix, xt hubs w/ rhynolites (indestructable)

Bike Setup:   jamis dragon, xtr, v-brakes, crossmax front (still going), xt/rhynolite rear

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Tubeless, relatively light and cheap

Weaknesses:    Rear hub needs periodic cleaning

Bottom Line:
This was a relatively good set of wheels for the first 2 years. I weight about 185 lbs and ride 3 to 4 times a week, aggressive XC. The rims stayed surprisingly true in that time. The rear hub would require cleaning every 7 to 8 months, but it was easy to take apart. I really liked the tubeless rims, just use a little Stans-no-tube and they worked great. At 2.5 years cracks developed near most of the spoke nipples of the rear rim. Then one nipple broke threw and tore the rim. That was it for the rear rim. The front rim is still going. I can't bring myself to buy another set knowing that they will be trashed in a couple of years. If you weight less, you may want to consider buying them.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hubs with other mavic rims

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, manitou minute 1:00, manitou 3 way swinger, shimano xt and xtr parts

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from Hanahan, SC,

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    Can run either disc or rim brakes. Never needs truing.

Weaknesses:    If using the supplied quick-release, will damage your fork's dropout. Can't get the quick-release tight enough, evenually comes loose, causes the dropout to rub against the hub.

Bottom Line:
Upgrade the cheap quick-release skewer prior to using these wheels. After one year of use and not using better skewers, I'm looking at replacing the lower legs on my $600 fork. Lesson learned.

Submitted by gary a Cross Country Rider from arkham, ma

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    perform well, rugged, inexpensive, ust, look good

Bottom Line:
i ride year round day or night and wanted to try ust, fixing flats on a cold winter night or mosquito infested bottomlands was getting old, tight budget,so i got these on the advice of my mechanic at a local bike shop. i'm well over a thousand miles on the first set and only needed a minor truing once on the front wheel. ride weirwolfs with a little stans, the wheels don't really feel all that heavy, ride alot of rocky stuff and my rims always look it, these have held up well, still roll smooth and i haven't flatted once. i don't know why these aren't more popular than they are, i consider these a great buy.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   numerous other stuff, xt hubs on different rims, hope xc on 717's

Bike Setup:   i now have these on 2 bikes, a non stock giant vt and a santa cruz superlight

UST strip on Mavic Crossland

I have mavic crosslands, and I recently cracked the rim. I have been running them tubeless, and now it is time to search for a another rim/wheelset. My question is, would the UST rim strip work on mavic non-ust rims (such as 317s or another mavice wheelset that is not tubeless compatible) or is th ... Read More »

Mavic Crossland UST : Damaged Wheel Strip Repair?

Hey all, I am riding a Trek 4300 on Mavic Crossland UST wheels and the stock bontrager non ust tires. I am running them with tubes until they wear out then switching to some UST tires. Anyhow, I noticed that the bead is not sitting flush with the rim on one part of my front tire. I took a look an ... Read More »

Mavic Crossland UST Rims

Has anybody out there mounted a 2.30 with tube on the Mavic Crossland UST rim? I know that Cannondale puts 2.0's and 2.10's on them and spec's a 2.0 on the Spalpel web page. I was just interested in runing with a wider tire. Thanks in Advance Moe:thumbsup:Read More »

Rim Width? - Mavic Crossland UST

Anyone know the rim width of the Mavic Crosslands? I wasn't able to find anything w/ a search and the Mavic website doesn't list them. ThanksRead More »

Mavic CrossLand UST Wheels with Kenda Karma Tires OK?

In researching lightweight tires, I thought I read somewhere that Karma tires have a tendency to pop off of UST wheels, but that was early on in my thread searching and I have since lost that thread. Doas anybody know if this is true or if there are any other problems in running this combination? ... Read More »