Industry Nine Singlespeed Wheelset

R: 135mm qr

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Joe_Jitsu a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    Fast engagement, light, stiff, customer service

Weaknesses:    Require maintenance if you ride in wet, muddy conditions. Some cogs (esp. Chris King) can be a *very* tight fit.

Bottom Line:
    These are great XC race wheels! The engagement is super-better than King IMO, and quite a bit better than the Hope Pro II. The wheels are stiff, even when built with Stan's 355 rims. (Note: I'm about 160 lbs soaking wet)

Couple of issues: Riding in the winter in the Northwest means you are gonna need to service these hubs twice a year. Not unexpected, as these are ment to be race wheels. But I just rebuilt the Hope Pro II's after 4 years of riding...

Some cogs just don't fit early editions of this hub. I had a nice set of Chris King cogs that simply will not fit on this hub. I ended up getting a set of Surly cogs just of this hub. Not a problem for me, as I have two singlespeeds that I use for endurance racing. But this might be an issue if you only ride one bike at a time...

I understand this issue has been fixed with newer wheels.

Final note: The guys at I9 have been great to work with. I sent one wheel back to have some work done on the rear hub, and the service what cheap and fast, even thought I could not produce a receipt. I had to send the front wheel back to have it rebuild after I killed it doing Things That Should Not Be Done with a super-light singlespeed wheel. The rebuild it for cheap and did it quick. I can't say enough good things about the customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to name...

Similar Products Used:   Hand-Build Hope Pro II on Bontrager Mustang rims (Thanks Mike Curiak!)

Bike Setup:   Quiring 29er

Submitted by Tommy a Racer from Murfreesboro, Tn, US

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    You name it. Strong power transfer, light weight, custom build, wide choice of colors, looks incredible, stiff, etc, etc.

Weaknesses:    steep price. zzzzzzzz down the hill

Bottom Line:
    Incredible Wheel set! Manufactered in the hills of NC. I was concerned about the aluminum spokes but they are thick and very strong. If you have ever heard these wheels you know they make a mean noise do to the 9 pawls rather than 2 or 4 which other wheels have. This makes for a faster engagement. This makes riding through rocky technical sections a little easier. There is no "dead spot in the engagemant. I did not want to pay the price for these wheels but after riding them I have no regrets. If you are a single speeder, want to upgrade to a high-end wheel set, and don't mind dropping the bucks this is a great set.

Favorite Trail:   Tnasi Trails, Ocoee Tn