Industry Nine Enduro Wheelset

4.94/5 (17 Reviews)

Industry Nine Enduro 26" Wheelset - ForThe riderThat demands performance and strength over all elseThese Industry Nine wheels are 100% made in Industry Nines Asheville, NC facility.Their spoke design allowsThemTo eliminateThe J-bend andThe spoke/nipple interface. InsteadTheir spokesThread directly intoThe hub shell with a larger diameterThreadThanThe main spoke body, eliminating weakness atTheThread.This allowedThemTo increaseThe surface contact area by moreThan 200% over a standard 14g spoke an

Submitted by James Domenico a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    In order of priority, Stiffness, Quick Engagement, weight, ease of tubeless installation, Bling Factor,

Weaknesses:    I would say cost, but after a blown hub in a DT Swiss wheelset during a trip to Moab (how much is your time worth?) after day 1, made the bike useless the rest of the trip, I would say these are worth every penny!!! Maybe proprietary spokes, but the give you like 6 spares with the wheel set.

Bottom Line:
The best wheel set I have ridden. I have not ridden Chris King's and have heard many good things about them, but the what sold me is 120 points-3 degree engagement 6 pawl system. I am a heavy rider at 220 plus pounds, and could not believe how quickly I blew the DT swiss hub out. There was only like 300 miles on the bike, and considering safety factors I wanted a hub that was not going to fail in that manner again. Super Stiff, quick engagement, and installed on my carbon Specialized Stumpy with tubeless system installed the bike is a rocket. The bike climbs anything I put in front of it. I like how the free hub sounds, and the bling factor is crazy. Red hubs, with red industry nine spokes, on the Enduro black rims.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Purchased At:   From Industry Nine

Similar Products Used:   Nothing as the same quality as this wheelset, but DT Swiss, and Mavics.

Bike Setup:   26" Carbon Specialized Stumpjumper Elite, Avid Elixir CR Brakes, SRAM X9 speed trigger shifters, XO rear derailleur, X9 front derailleur, Maxxis Ardent tubeless tires, Reverb dropper post, and FOX Talas fork.

Submitted by Rider Mel a Cross Country Rider from Moab & Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    This is my "out of the box" review of the I9 AM wheelset. The wheels look great. They are reasonably light with a nice 26mm wide rim. I noticed three things very quickly.
1. The wheels feel very stiff and roll well.
2. The rear hub is incredibly loud (even compared to Kings).
3. The engagement is extremely fast compared to anything else I've tried.
Overall, the wheels seem to perform at a level that is appropriate for the price. If they prove to be durable, they will be my wheels of choice.

Weaknesses:    Price. Like anything, you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
The wheels look and feel very solid. The stiffness is apparent immediately. The buzz is a little annoying but many folks seem to like it - I'll deal with it if they hold up over time. The instant engagement is fantastic and, again, worth the noise.

Favorite Trail:   Whole Enchilada

Purchased At:   Industry Nine

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT & XTR, Mavic Crossmax, Chris King hubs on custom wheelset, DT wheelset, etc.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot, Fox suspension, Shimano drivetrain, Gravity Dropper, Kenda tubeless.

Submitted by awife2kidsandadog a Weekend Warrior from long beac, ca

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    instant engagement, stiff, sexy, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bottom Line:
Well worth every penny spent and every minute waiting for them to come in.

Favorite Trail:   fall line

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares

Bike Setup:   08 specialized enduro sl pro carbon

Submitted by stash77 a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light, looks, pedal power...

Weaknesses:    Price I suppose.

Bottom Line:
The hype is real. These wheels are amazing. It took me a while to make this decision because of the price. They're worth the extra cash. Next to your frame, your wheelset is the most important part of your bike IMO.

Favorite Trail:   Unpaved

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Hadley

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Moment. 32 lbs. ZTR Flow rims, Maxxis Highroller UST.

Submitted by Phishn a Cross Country Rider from springfield mo

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    They look amazing!!! They sound so good.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
If you want the hottest rims at the trail head buy these. They are light and sexy. Worth the extra money.

Similar Products Used:   mavic cross max

Bike Setup:   trek ex9.

Submitted by dave_bouf a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Ease of use as tubeless. Light & Stiff...the buzz is growing on me.
Configurable axle setup...I have a 10mm thru-bolt.

Weaknesses:    The price, and the extra price for some colours.

Bottom Line:
I was worried about how hard they would be to run tubeless and the noise from the freehub. The buzzing grew on me quickly.

Some Stan's yellow tape, sealant and a tubeless valve and they are good to go.

The price is high, yet not out of norm for such a high quality product. I love mine.

Favorite Trail:   The trails that aren't paved

Purchased At:   Harper's Cycle - Kno

Similar Products Used:   There is no similar product I am familiar enough with.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, DT Swiss 130 XMC Fork, I-9 Enduros, Conti Mnt King UST 2.4, 1x9 drive train.

Submitted by bingemtbr a Cross Country Rider from Peoria, IL USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Customer Service
Stiffness
(Light) Weight
Reliability

Weaknesses:    Annual servicing
Limited local spoke inventory

Bottom Line:
As close as you can get to King but with as good and I have to believe better customer services. This is a good place to be. King set the industry standard IMHO. The engagement is there. The stiffness is there. The weight benchmark is there. I have destroyed/warn out the guts of my I9 Enduro's twice. About once every season. First time I was skeptical of the product, but they warrantied the product and fixed them N/C--and within 2 weeks. Second time, I phoned them on a Monday, UPS'ed them and on the FOLLOWING SATURDAY-5 or 6 DAYS later, the wheel returns to me at 100% and at no charge. Kudos to the I9 guys! Outstanding service!

Look no further than an alternative to King. (And yes, I break King ring drives too!)

Favorite Trail:   Porc Rim

Similar Products Used:   King

Bike Setup:   5" trail bike, SRAM X9, Fox Talas 32, CK hs, CK bb, XT cranks, thomson stem and seat post.

Submitted by dan51 a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    Quick engagement
Bling
Stiff
Strong
Easy maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary and expensive spokes.
They get dirty, hiding the bling.

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset. No problems so far.
I have broken 2 spokes, but the set came with some spares. Additional spokes were $8 each at my LBS and had to be ordered. Not the kind of wheel you can get fixed anywhere. Just bring spare spokes with you on road trips.

Favorite Trail:   this month it's Braille

Similar Products Used:   DT5.1 with Hope ProII hubs
819s with XT hubs

Submitted by wns a Cross Country Rider from east coast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Stiffness. Instant engagement. strength, strength / stiffness to weight ration, wide rim.

Weaknesses:    not a one thus far

Bottom Line:
I got good and ripe sweating and stewing in the juices of months’ worth of indecision trying to settle on a new wheelset. But when it got down to it there really wasn’t a choice.....I was on the fence, however, as far as rims, looking at 819s and 5.1s mostly but couldn’t settle. Each had their own advantages and disadvantages.....Finally Brandi at I9 put an end to my suffering by suggesting I just sit tight awhile and wait on the I9 proprietary rims due out in the late winter. I waited. And it was worth the wait. As I’m honestly not knowledgeable enough to give anything but a subjective review I can’t contribute much beyond my maintenance experience and riding an average of four days a week over the last five or so months on these wheels.

The I9 Enduro rims are wide - 28mm, super stiff, and with a Stans rig I’ve run them tubeless without an issue using both tubeless and standard tires (Specialized, Schwalbe and WTB ). I followed the prescribed re-tensioning schedule and have had zero hub problems, front or rear. If you are taking your wheels to a shop for service I would recommend using a mechanic familiar with I9 wheels as there are some nuances ( I’m told) with the spokes, etc.

I’ve had the rear trued twice. The first time was an unfortunate flat at speed. I’d cased a rock, flatted and cased another rock. I was afraid to look but the wheel took it remarkably well. Threw in a tube and rode 20 miles out, rode the rest of the week before getting it trued. The second incident involved a stick, my derailleur and spokes, again at speed....I lost a spoke, a hanger and a lot of wind....somehow no teeth...

These things are an absolute dream. Super stiff and fast. The engagement is truly remarkable......There is a difference in the engagement between I9 and Kings, worth checking out...... A world apart from the older Crossmax XLs, stiffer than CKs laced to 819s ( this, however, is still a favorite wheelset )......I think I’ve mentioned “stiff” three times now....I’m faster on these wheels than I have been on any others.....I have more fun on these wheels...I won’t step in to the I9 vs CK ring.....both are great products.....the conversion / versatility aspect of these wheels is HUGE....I can only say that this is the best wheelset of its kind I’ve ridden.....and there is that frequently mentioned sound....BZZZZZZZZ is the sound of bliss....Additionally, and not lastly, I9 Customer Service is stellar, always a huge consideration in my choice when I’m dropping a load of cash....If you are considering I9 Enduro Hubs, give a lot of thought to their rims as well....truly kicka@@

Similar Products Used:   CK / 819, various crossmax, DT

Bike Setup:   09 Yeti 575 with fox 36 float

Submitted by sunshynjunky a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff light strong smooth incredible engagement

Weaknesses:    ??.....They look too sick??? (If thats possible)

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is... all you will want to hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
These are solidly the best wheels on the market

Favorite Trail:   Commando Loop

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Dt Swiss, Shimano,

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX (08), Avid Codes, RS Totem (6"), XO group RaceFace stem bars headset

Submitted by swade a Weekend Warrior from Independence KY

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Strengths:    Unique, look great, perform even better

Bottom Line:
If you are in this price range, get them now. Had my new bike for a little while with a different set of wheels on. Once I switched not only did it drop significant weight but the bike felt like a rocket ship. I was blown away by the acceleration. Consistently ride 1-2 gears higher in all conditions. The word stiff does not do them justice, it's beyond that. The slightest pressure on the pedals translates immediately into acceleration. On my first ride it felt like I was trying to keep up with my bike all day, like someone faster than me was actually pedaling it! It still feels like that. I jump everthing I can find too and these wheels just laugh at it. I researched everthing out there for months driving myself crazy over it. Came down to these, crossmax, king's or fulcrum and my bike shop recommended I9's hands down. I'm glad they did. They were worth the wait and I hear the lead time is continuing to get shorter. Did I mention they're the sweetest looking wheels you'll ever see.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County, IN

Purchased At:   Reser Bicycle, Newpo

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Mavic

Bike Setup:   09 Yeti 575, Fox rp23 and 36 talas rc2, xtr, thomson, king, I9 enduro build with Mavic 819's Blue hubs with alsternating blue and black spokes.

Submitted by Iwan a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light for what it is and can do
Strong and build tough
Beautifully made
Stiff
Durable

Weaknesses:    Can be on the expensive side, but no more than a CK wheelset

Bottom Line:
I have had these for over 6months now and they run as straight and true as the day I bought them. Hubs engage faster than CK's and have been just reliable and sounds awesome! After a very wet and muddy winter the bearings are still 100% and run as smooth as ever.

They laugh at rock gardens, drops and jumps yet are fairly light. What more could you want?

Was gonna 4 for value as they are expensive, but compared to CK they are right on the money and you get spare spokes! Also the hubs are adaptable for 20mm front and 12mm rear. So 5 chilis it is!

Favorite Trail:   Tokai, Eden, Harkerville at night

Purchased At:   William's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   CK wheelset
DT 1750

Bike Setup:   On Ibis Mojo at the moment, but will go onto a Morewood Mbuzi in the next week or two. Mojo is build with 36 Talas, Joplin and other hard hitting gear

Submitted by smuff9 a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2008

Strengths:    Outside rotational weight. INSTANT engagement! Does look cool, even if you only went black on black

Weaknesses:    None yet, though I am worried about the toughness of the aluminum spokes

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love these. I can't speak for how they'll hold up in the long run as I only have two rides on these so far but the difference in the ride is unbelievable. I definitely notice that it's a little easier to climb even though they are the same weight overall as my last wheelset. I'm guessing it's because of the lack of nipples/less outside rotational weight. But the biggest thing is the instant engagement. Makes a huge difference in slow technical climbs. Also noticed a fairly big difference in the stiffness on the quick turning downhill runs. Definitely no remorse in buying these.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek/Pinhoti

Bike Setup:   08' Santa Cruz Heckler, fox coil-over, revelation fork.

Submitted by Al a Weekend Warrior from Alhambra

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2008

Strengths:    Looks good, light, instant engagement

Weaknesses:    long lead time

Bottom Line:
This my second set my first one is on my Ibis I love it so much I sold my kings and get this one.

great product this is a black on black and ztr 355 the wheel weight 1470g with 24mm front hub. cheaper than kings and at least 50% faster engagement and not to mention twice louder.

the wheelset look so good and sound great high pitch buzz that turn head a great conversation piece.

Don't forget to re-tighten your wheel after a few ride when you first get the wheel after that it stay true.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-it