Industry Nine Enduro 29 Wheelset

Forks are no longer noodles, and drivetrain ratios are now optimized for larger wheels ... to say 29ers have come a long way can be considered an understatement. Wheel-focused Industry Nine helped that rapid advancement by addressing the inherent weakness of 700c road rims laced to mountain hubs. The wider and tougher 29er Enduro Wheelset builds on those early flex-fighting and weight-reducing improvements to take full advantage of modern, long-legged 29ers.What Industry Nine changed from traditional wheels is a proprietary spoke and hub interface. This approach allowed optimization of strength and weight. For starters, the spokes are machined from aluminum instead of steel. While obviously lighter, these spokes do not require a bend at hub -- the weakest spot of wheels.The one-piece spokes screw directly into the precisely CNC'd hub shell -- without the need for nipples. The lack of stress risers and nipples results in a stiff and light platform that uses traditional tools and techniques to service, and it's compatible with any traditional rim on the market. In this case, Industry Nine opted for Stan's wide, tubeless Flow rim. This gives 2.3in and wider tires ample, trail-smoothing volume and a nice, round profile.There's more to Industry Nine than alloy spokes and a shrewdly machined shell -- the rear hub contains Industry Nine's fresh take on the tried-and-true pawl engagement. Instead of the 6-8 degrees of engagement found on common hubs, this mechanism features six pawls; two sets of three pawls that are phased three degrees from the first. This results in near-instant engagement, with -- thanks to its hardened, 60-tooth drive ring -- a whopping 120 points of engagement.Because of this, you'll enjoy optimal performance while ratcheting through treacherous rock gardens with instant acceleration on tap. The hub rides on oversized cartridge bearings for long service intervals and smooth operation. They ship with a 20mm thru-axle, but can easily converted to 15mm or 9mm with the Enduro Hub Conversion Kit.100% made in Asheville, NC, the Industry Nine 29er Enduro Wheelset packs the strength needed for Clydesdale and all-mountain riders -- at a weight that'll rival many companies' XC offerings. It's available in either Red or Black.

Submitted by mojoman a Racer from Ann Arbor MI

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Super stiff, strong, hooks up fast through rock gardens and over slippery roots, light for an AM wheel with this strength. This wheel with the I9 hubs has changed my riding for the better, way better. the way the engagement is is just awesome.

Weaknesses:    kind of pricy to fix, the bearings are much more expensive but also last longer and are better.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are a must have for any serious rider. they just work better. I didn't realize how the prawl engagment would work so fast untill I rode it. Once you ride these everything else seams like junk, (except kings are a close second). I have beat the crap out of these, off 4'+ drops, full speed through rocks and big roots, down railroad tie stairs etc,.,. I feel more confident riding and the wheels stay true.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Rooty right in my town

Similar Products Used:   WTB AM 29ers, sort of similar but like 1000 levels lower in quality. Cobalt 26's, way too many sticks would get caught in the Cobalts. Chris Kings on Mavic 26's

Bike Setup:   Stupmy FSR expert 29er I9's (of course) Cobalt 11 cockpit, XO 2x10

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent stiffness
Wide rim (28 outer, 22.6 inner)
Stan's tubeless inner rim profile
Highest engagement (120 pt, 3 degrees)
Convertible axles
Easy to maintain
Colors that match my bike's color scheme

Weaknesses:    Alloy freehub body gets notched/mangled easily ($80 for replacement)
People stop you to ask about them

Bottom Line:
Stiffer than my carbon wheelset, which gives me confidence surfing ruts, riding tight lines, and keeping things going where I point it when it gets fast and rough.
Introduced me to a better kind of tubeless, which I now love (ghetto/conversions were a headache).
Helped remedy my pedal strike issue due to my bike's low BB.
Gives my tires more volume and make them seem freaky wide.
Doesn't seem to have significant wheel drag from high engagement, at least no more than Chris King.

Favorite Trail:   Snow Summit

Similar Products Used:   Edge XC 29er Clincher/CX-Ray/Chris King ISO 32h, stock Bonty wheels, Vuelta XC wheels, many others 26" wheels (DT EX1750, CB Cobalt, '12 XT)

Bike Setup:   '10 Superfly 100

Submitted by kylemtnbike a Weekend Warrior from marietta Ga

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    no flex

Bottom Line:
the best wheel money can buy there light track well .
maybe a little $$$$$ but there worth every penny .

Favorite Trail:   racoon mtn

Purchased At:   Outspokin

Similar Products Used:   american classics

Bike Setup:   pivot 429

Submitted by Crash2Ouch a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Strengths:    -Looks
-Strong / doesn't flex
-Lighter than competitors
-Cool free wheel sound

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I first purchased a set of Mavic Crossmax 29er, and after owning/riding them for about 18months I had to replace the rear hub 5 times (paws worn out). I am 6' 250lbs so not a small rider. these wheels were very flexy in the turns and on technical stuff.

my AWESOME wife purchased a set of these I9's for me upon recommendation of my LBS (props to Focus Cyclery in Chandler, AZ). Not only do these wheels look awesome and sound great. they are VERY functional as well. I have only had them 6months and I have about 600 miles on them. No issues at all, the paws are not worn out. The hubs/wheels do not flex latterly at all. they go right where you point them. I am totally sold on the I9's. Yes they are a bit pricy. But they are worth every penny. because you do not have to sit at home on a nice day because your ride is in the shop getting your hub fixed. Do yourself a favor and buy a set, you will not regret it.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Regional Park