Industry Nine Cross Country Wheelset

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Without a doubt, most think of their luscious anodized hubs and spokes when the name Industry Nine is mentioned. Over the last few years, Industry Nine has seemingly dominated mountain biking -- appearing on podiums with Team Morewood and in countless pictures of bikes and buzz on MTBR. Despite their gorgeous aesthetic, that's the last reason they're worth considering.The stock Industry Nine XC Wheelset is built around an ingenious hub/spoke design laced to the new lightweight and sturdy Industry Nine rims. They are 23mm wide and have a welded joint and eyelets at the spoke holes for durability. The spokes are machined to a diameter of .100" from ultra light 7075-T6 aluminum. "Aluminum," you ask? Yep. It's not only possible, but borderline genius as they are designed specifically to address the two weakest points found in a traditional steel spoke -- the j-bend, and the threading -- the two spots spokes generally fail. Industry Nine eliminates the j-bend altogether as each spoke threads directly into the hub. In fact, the threaded portion of each spoke has a root diameter greater than that of the spoke itself, making it super strong. The end result is a gorgeous, lightweight aluminum spoke with strength equal to a 14/15g double butted stainless steel spoke. No worries though, no special tools are needed -- a standard .126 spoke wrench still does the trick. Each wheel uses 32 spokes laced in a 3-cross pattern. This displaces impacts across a broader area, provides optimum stiffness, torsional strength, and keeps your wheels true longer. After all, that's the point isn't it? And, should you have one fail on the trail, you can fix it in a snap -- just pull the tire to the side, drop it in, and thread it into place. You'll receive two spare spokes of each size with your wheelset purchase. The Industry Nine hubs are the nerve center of the wheelset. The hub shells and axles are machined from 7075-T6 aluminum and they accept a six bolt rotor -- they're both strong and stunning and can be relied upon for years to come. The cassette body is machined from 7068 aluminum for lightness and durability. There are just an incredible 3 degrees of rotation between the 120 engagement points. Any of you faced with technical climbs will understand just how important a performance advantage this is -- no wasted motion, seemingly instant engagement. Out of the box, it delivers a distinctive buzz that mellows with age. And tested beyond 700 ft-pounds of force (like your super-chipped Ford Power Stroke diesel engine), Industry Nine has experienced zero drive mechanism failures. For the cherry on top, Industry Nine uses hardened 17-4 Stainless Steel endcaps -- chances are, they'll outlast you.Industry Nine is a company fueled by engineers that set out to "do it better." The name is derived from the fact that they are the ninth company to be spawned from the parent company, Turnamics, which designs and manufacturers everything from robots that bu

Submitted by orekizler a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Very well made, quality design. Strong, stiff, keeps its true for a while.

Weaknesses:    Dt Swiss 4.2 rims. (If yours came with those). There is a little freewheel drag due to engagement system but you got to be expecting that.

Bottom Line:
I have been using this wheelset for a little over 5 years now. I changed the bearings once ever since. And they weren't really that worn out. Superior quality. The Anodized red finish doesn't have a single chip or color fading what so ever.
The wheels are stiff and stays true for a long time. The stock Dt Swiss 4.2 rims that mine came with are too soft and bendy and don't do justice to this wheelset.
I9 customer service is excellent and they re capable of rebuilding your set if anything goes wrong after many years.

Favorite Trail:   Anything close by

Submitted by Charles B a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    reliability

Weaknesses:    noise gets annoying after 30 miles

Bottom Line:
This is the best wheelset on the market. I have the I-9 xc hubs and spokes with the Stans ZTR Arch rims - which is a flawless set-up. These wheels are very light, stiff and from what I can tell, maintenance free. The hubs have only needed a couple of cleanings since I've owned them, which amazes me after crossing over from Mavic. After two years of use, they are as true as day one and I weigh nearly 200 pounds. The only issue I have is the high volume of the freewheel, which isn't really an issue on shorter rides, but after 30 or 40 miles enough is enough.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Souther UT

Purchased At:   BRC - La Mesa, CA

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax SL

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 XX build

Submitted by sage oz a Cross Country Rider from seattle wa

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    very light, very stiff, very strong, perfect anodizing, beautifully finished, superior design and manufacturing, highest quality cnc 7075t6, made in USA baby! can be had in lots of nice mixn match colors, with colored spokes

Weaknesses:    those thick spokes that are so cool looking and strong are also very non aero friendly. in a race, id prefer sapims on their conventional hubs but for regular mtbing they are fine

Bottom Line:
these have proved very durable and well designed,ive only had to replace the freehub bearing once in a year of almost daily riding(about 5k).both rims are still true as day one, and run very smooth.

Favorite Trail:   duthie

Purchased At:   used @ebay

Similar Products Used:   white industries, shimano, chris king, dt

Bike Setup:   carver killer b titanium, dt xmc 130x15mm fork, lots of ti parts

Submitted by oekizler a Weekend Warrior from Greenwich

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Very stiff and responsive. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Something wrong with the freewheel I couldn't quite figure out.

Bottom Line:
Very good looking and performing wheelset. Changed the rear wheel bearings after using 3 years. front wheel bearings still going smooth. There is a weakness in the freewheel mechanism, occurring un-even freewheel noise and slight bumpiness. I changed the freewheel once and it was over. Now it is back again. After 5 years, sometimes the spokes appear to come loose and wheels go out off true. I think that is acceptable after serving such a long time.

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax XL

Submitted by elroy a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, light, look fantastic

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen

Bottom Line:
I bought this wheelset to race on and I like them so much that I use them for everything. Some people don't like the noisy freehub (similar noise to a Chris King freehub)but I love it. If I'm passing someone on a fast descent they will hear me before I can say anything and safely move to the side. Industry Nines' tech support is stellar. I had a minor bearing issue (a problem with the bearing, not the wheel)and they promptly fixed it. I also have a set of their EGO road wheels and they are without a doubt my favorite road wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   All the trails in the Auburn area