Industry Nine Cross Country 29 Wheelset

4.46/5 (13 Reviews)

The Industry Nine XC 29 Wheelset offers a tubeless-ready, lightweight alternative for those rolling with big wheels. This wheelset features the lightweight and durable Stan's No Tubes Arch rims. And because they arrive complete with Stan's yellow tape and valve stems, they're ready for tubeless tires right out of the box. You'll get better traction, better stability, and a better ride.The hubs are the heart and soul of the Industry Nine XC 29 wheelset. The shells and axles are machined from 7075-T6 aluminum, and they'll accept a six bolt rotor -- they're both strong and stunning and can be relied upon for years to come. The cassette body is machined from 7068 aluminum for lightness and durability. It features an almost imperceptible 3 degrees of rotation between the 120 engagement points. Any of you faced with technical climbs will understand just how important a performance advantage this is -- no wasted motion and seemingly instant engagement. Out of the box, the freehub delivers a distinctive buzz that mellows with age. And tested beyond 700 ft-pounds of force (like your super-chipped Ford Power Stroke diesel engine), Industry Nine has experienced zero drive mechanism failures. For the cherry on top, Industry Nine uses hardened 17-4 Stainless Steel endcaps -- chances are, they'll outlast you.The stock Industry Nine XC 29 Wheelset is available with matching spokes and hubs in anodized red or black laced to a Stan's No Tubes Arch rim. The front hub is 15QR compatible and the rear uses a standard quick release. If you'd rather have a quick release front hub, we most likely have the small parts on hand to make the conversion, just let us know. If these color options aren't what you had in mind and you'd like something custom, give us a ring or drop us a line as Industry Nine can customize a wheelset in most any color combination on any rim -- it will require a wait of 10-12 weeks though. Skewers are not included. 1740gTubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Submitted by scrubber a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2013

Strengths:    I could write a full review but all the previous positve reviews are spot on
A suggestion is if you have a 9mm regular QR fork than get the front hub end caps to hold a 9mm THROUGH axle (specialized designed it) it will stiffen front steering better.You will have to get the 9mm QR axle separate .Superstar from UK sell a beauty! Cheap...

Weaknesses:    Pricey,weight could be lighter but I wanted to ride these all the time, very happy....

Bottom Line:
No problems in a year,carbon rims would be nice because they don't ding,but my Arch EX rims are good so far.have not had to retention spokes at all.Price was around $1200 plus tax,and that was a racer store deal.I wouldn't recommend crest rims,they are to thin and soft.....

Favorite Trail:   Sedona

Duration Product Used:   1 year plus

Purchased At:   Northern Cycle Ajax,

Similar Products Used:   Cross max 26, King,and XT

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly 100 with Maxxis tires,

Submitted by Niner Nation a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    Expensive? Yes! but you get what you pay for and that is an Awesome looking, stiff, reliable and self serviceable wheelset, I have the 2012 straight pull red spokes and 15mm hubs with Stan's white ZTR Arch EX 29er hoops set up tubeless.

Weaknesses:    These wheels must be re-tensioned after the first 25miles and make sure to apply spoke-freeze, to keep spokes from working itself loose. After that it's pretty much maintenance free.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are amazing, and when rolling it has a nice buzzing noise that's music to my ears. Instant engagement, light and looks Bling!. Installed the i9 XD freehub body myself to accommodate the all new Sram XX1 10-42T cassette. The 1x11 systems is an awesome addition to my Vana White Niner Jet 9 RDO, Ride On!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Niner Cabon Flat Top Bar 710mm:
Fizik Saddle, Easton Stem, ODI lock on grips and XTR pedals

Submitted by eischman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    super strong and durable. I wonder which model people have and riding style who complain about durability

Bottom Line:
I have had a set for well over 5 years and no problems. (I broke 1 spoke) Spokes and hub are Aluminum like most like weight wheels. If you score them or flex them they will crack or break. They must be tensioned properly. If they are not you will weaken the spokes and they will all start breaking. I had a similar problem with c29ssmax wheels

Similar Products Used:   king, xtr, every high end

Submitted by MultiRider a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff - much stiffer than the stock Specialized wheels
Light
Insanely great engagement
Modular design to fit any axle configuration, so I can take them from one bike to the next
No issues with spokes or anything else

Bottom Line:
As light as the carbon wheels at half the price and none of the anxiety of "what if I whack them on a rock"

Favorite Trail:   Many

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Crank Bros Cobalts, Hadley, etc

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er

Submitted by jmalcolm a Cross Country Rider from Fredericksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    durable, stiff, light. Very, very fast engagement.
innovative design yet you can still use non-proprietary tools - easy mntc. hardly ever have to true these but when i do it's quite simple. Completely US made and I9 customer support is phenomenal. Easy to adapt, (going from QR to 15m or Left - which I'm considering for example). Finally, let's be honest...they just look cool

Bottom Line:
had these for two years, running with Stan's Arch rims. I suppose for mtb they're the higher side of pricey but i expect to be running these for another 2 yrs at least. That seems like a really good value to me. i'm still as excited about these wheels as when they were brand new. It's the one part of my bike that just doesn't seem to wear out despite getting the least mntc.

Favorite Trail:   Southern Traverse

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   American Classics - light but flimsy.
Hope Pro II built up on Stan's Arch - I liked these pretty well but the wider, non-jbend spokes on the I9's seem to make a big difference for a much stiffer wheel.

Bike Setup:   run these with Stan's Arch rims. Niner Air9, Reba fork, Kenda Karmas in the Summer, Maxxis Ignitor in the Winter

Submitted by druber a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, light, instant engagement, customer service

Weaknesses:    durability, proprietary spokes

Bottom Line:
These wheels work great when they work. They are light and stiff and really respond when you lay down the power.

Here's the problem...

Issue #1: The spokes loosen up easily. I have to constantly check that the spokes are still tight.

Issue #2: The spokes break easily. If you happen to bend your derailleur and your chain goes into your spokes, you'll be replacing most of them soon. Not great when each spoke costs $5 and are not trivial to get. I finally made a spoke guard (dork disc) and I still break spokes. When you do break spokes, they are a pain to replace.

Issue #3: The springs flared out and lost contact with the pawls. This prevented the hubs from engaging and sucked up a ride.

Issue #4: Cracked free-hub.

Issue #5: Broken axle.

On the plus side, I9's service has been great. Every time I break something, they replace it immediately.

BTW...I'm 180 lbs and I don't do big hucks. I'm a relatively conservative rider.

I'm about ready to sell and get some Kings or Hadleys. I'm just tired of wondering what is going to go wrong next.

Purchased At:   hammerheadbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Rey

Submitted by MightySchmoePong a Cross Country Rider from Olney, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2008

Strengths:    Instant engagement, pretty stiff. Fantastic customer service, but you'll likely need it.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub failed on me in less than a year. Had to ship the wheel back to I9 where they replaced the hub. I also broke a LOT of spokes; it seemed that once they got gouged w/ a rock they would break. If you're using Stans this means that you have to puncture the rim tape to get the spoke in. Oddly enough, not particularly light?

Bottom Line:
Overpriced and over hyped. Most of the people I know who had these have replaced them.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill Blue

Purchased At:   Came w/ bike

Similar Products Used:   Sold these for a set up handbuilt Chris King hubs on Arch rims. About the same weight; perhaps a _bit_ flexier? Overall a MUCH better wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan

Submitted by lordmontague a Weekend Warrior from Baton Rouge, La

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    So Pretty, instant inguagement, Light enough, strong enough and fast enough!

Weaknesses:    I sold a kindney on the black market to afford them. Just kidding, but maybe they should come out with a mid-range wheelset so I can get a back up in a different color without my woman killing me.

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset. The guys at I9 are cool and honest. As I qoute Ferris "If you have the means, I highly reccomend picking one up." They make your ride better and they make you a better rider.

Favorite Trail:   Hooper/Comite

Purchased At:   Dirt Road Bicycles,

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, king, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Evolve with all the bells and whistles!!!

Submitted by Alex Roskin a Cross Country Rider from Hudson NY

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2008

Strengths:    WOW! only two rides and I'm sold! Takes all the slowness out of the from a 29 from starts and climbing, and is snappy quick. Extremely fast especially in climbing.

Weaknesses:    I hope they last! Even if only three years I'll buy more!

Bottom Line:
I can't believe how fast my climbing has gotten! At first I wasn't sure about the dt swiss rims a little heavier- I can't notice! weight 1875 grams so not too light but I can't tell!
I report back after some heavy use. The engagement is fast! These wheels are tight! (would not use on a full rigid)

Favorite Trail:   909, Blue...

Purchased At:   bike29.com

Similar Products Used:   King, hope, mavic crossmax

Bike Setup:   Right now on my dos niner while I wait for my Eriksen FS 29er. I got the black on black with dt swiss 7.1d- very stealth

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Farragut, TN

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Attractive aesthetic, fantastic customer support

Weaknesses:
Poor overall design. Limited spoke life with hard to get expensive replacement, Difficult to keep tensioned, Poor bearing retention and short bearing life. You may likely use their customer support.

Bottom Line:
I have to say this is the most overrated product on MTBr. Its an over complicated solution for minimal performance improvements and a shorter life span. The wheels are beautiful, light, super stiff, and have a unique ride quality but that’s where the positives end. The wheel system is difficult to maintain even tension, truing precision is becomes more difficult as the wheels get older due to increased spoke wind up. The spokes break easily particularly once they are scored. Replacement spokes are only available from one source and all sizes are not always readily available. Color choice of replacement spokes can be even more difficult. Bearings are not held into the hub by any mechanical means. They can literally fall out of some hubs. Initial cost and cost of maintenance are high.

Loudest freehub known to man.

Company support is excellent, I9 will go out of there way to rectify issues with their product.

A mise man once said, “J bend spokes and brass nipples 4-eva”

Favorite Trail:   Pisgha